EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 gets development boost from EA

Replies

• B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of it, honestly. Since the next gen is coming for 2021, does this mean they will develop both 2020 and 2021 simultaneously, or are these fresh forces working on 2021 version only?

They was a next gen version and old gen version when the PS4 released. So perhaps. The next gen version was considerably stripped down though - ala NHL 15. I'd hope they learned a big lesson after that debacle.

From what I read, more devs have been brought in for 20 and most of the devs are working on 20, and a smaller team on next gen version, which would possibly be NHL 21. So it looks like they are taking an extra year (or 2 if it's NHL 22) to get ready for the next gen jump. I doubt we will get another 15 debacle, or at least, nowhere near as bad.

Nothing confirmed of course, but apparently EA has learned their lesson and don't want us to think they don't care too much for their NHL franchise.

I'll reserve judgement till I see haha. Not giving the benefit of the doubt here.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • zingaa1 wrote: »
    After the failure this year, I just can't trust EA to do anything right. With the developers talking of implementing something new into 20, in addition to fixing the problems from this year, is just way too much for them to handle.

What failure? This has been the best game this generation, and finally a turn in the right direction, including undoing some fixes that were causing problems that the devs didn't really think were happening. Listening to the community and their observations to undo a change is pretty unique from this dev team, so I've been very pleased this year.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I can't say I'm enthusiastic about this news. It won't matter if they add 500 or 5000 new developers for this game if in the end the DIRECTION the game takes is going to be the same exact direction it's been taking for the last 10 years.

Sad to say, but I don't see it changing one bit. NHL 20 (and every iteration thereafter) will be the same arcade, casual-friendly bore-fest of a "hockey" game it's been forever. I'd dearly love to see them prove me wrong though...

Can't say I disagree with you.

This year the beta was awesome and loved it. For some reason, despite all the changing and unchanging since, it just hasn't felt the same. Control of your skater is still a bit of an issue, still getting weird and unwanted pivots at times. Arcade tuning, listening to streamers and all that jazz.

Let's just say I am slightly stocked, but with tons of reservation. The beta will tell me all I need to know. If it isn't really night-and-day different, I will just expect the same as the last few years.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of it, honestly. Since the next gen is coming for 2021, does this mean they will develop both 2020 and 2021 simultaneously, or are these fresh forces working on 2021 version only?

They was a next gen version and old gen version when the PS4 released. So perhaps. The next gen version was considerably stripped down though - ala NHL 15. I'd hope they learned a big lesson after that debacle.

From what I read, more devs have been brought in for 20 and most of the devs are working on 20, and a smaller team on next gen version, which would possibly be NHL 21. So it looks like they are taking an extra year (or 2 if it's NHL 22) to get ready for the next gen jump. I doubt we will get another 15 debacle, or at least, nowhere near as bad.

Nothing confirmed of course, but apparently EA has learned their lesson and don't want us to think they don't care too much for their NHL franchise.

I'll reserve judgement till I see haha. Not giving the benefit of the doubt here.

I completely understand lol, and feel the same. Was just stating facts I read, not necessarily what I think.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I can't say I'm enthusiastic about this news. It won't matter if they add 500 or 5000 new developers for this game if in the end the DIRECTION the game takes is going to be the same exact direction it's been taking for the last 10 years.

Sad to say, but I don't see it changing one bit. NHL 20 (and every iteration thereafter) will be the same arcade, casual-friendly bore-fest of a "hockey" game it's been forever. I'd dearly love to see them prove me wrong though...

This year the beta was awesome and loved it. For some reason, despite all the changing and unchanging since, it just hasn't felt the same. Control of your skater is still a bit of an issue, still getting weird and unwanted pivots at times. Arcade tuning, listening to streamers and all that jazz.

Let's just say I am slightly stocked, but with tons of reservation. The beta will tell me all I need to know. If it isn't really night-and-day different, I will just expect the same as the last few years.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks I still lose control of my skater a bit. Not bad as years before. I too was sold on beta gameplay and greatly enjoyed it. It saddens me with the direction they happened to take the game this year.

• Jammerx73x wrote: »
    Yeah it was a failure. First of all they are a number of players who couldn't play this game for months due to the Dressing Room Error's. 2nd, they tooned this game so much that you had to do a complete 180 to adjust every month to where it started playing nothing like the demo and more like NHL18. 3rd, don't even get me started on the match making debacle.

And it's not unique for Devs to listen when the game wasn't working for most of it's customers.

That's fair. I was never affected by the dressing room errors. I had the same amount of issues this year as I have in past years.

I disagreed with a lot of the tuning they did this year, like I do every year, but for the first time ever they actually changed it back. You say other devs do that all the time, but not these ones. They usually treat us like morons and keep heading down the wrong direction. Every year the same thing, they release a great demo/beta, tune back to the previous game despite complaints, ignore pleas to change it back, and then release another great demo/beta, and then change it back again after people bought it.

So yeah, compared to other years, I don't consider this a failure.
  • zingaa1
    406 posts Member
    zingaa1 wrote: »
    After the failure this year, I just can't trust EA to do anything right. With the developers talking of implementing something new into 20, in addition to fixing the problems from this year, is just way too much for them to handle.

What failure? This has been the best game this generation, and finally a turn in the right direction, including undoing some fixes that were causing problems that the devs didn't really think were happening. Listening to the community and their observations to undo a change is pretty unique from this dev team, so I've been very pleased this year.

You consider this game in the right direction? Pond Hockey arcade with Clown costumes?
    The reason they had to undo tuners was because the originals FAILED. First 6 weeks of release MM was a disaster, cancel freeze went on for over a month, DRE's still happening to this day with no response from EA, the whole legend disaster that EA clearly mislead offline players into buying the game. Yes I consider that a hard failure.
    In addition, stick lifting, figuring skating, LT boost, DNF wins and this skating backwards into the zone nonsense is just ridiculous.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks I still lose control of my skater a bit. Not bad as years before. I too was sold on beta gameplay and greatly enjoyed it. It saddens me with the direction they happened to take the game this year.

Yea I feel a slight loss of control when it comes to pivots. Sometimes I am holding LT/L2 to backskate and for some reason my player does a quick back-to-back 180s for some reason. Or will do a half pivot and revert back to backskating and the whole time I am holding RT/L2. Weird indeed and looks like a puck tracking issue, even though at times the puck is over 50 feet away from me, or on the opposite side of the ice. Kind of like the game over riding my controls for a second because it feels I should be facing a different direction to track the puck.

Other issue I have is stop and go. My player does a hard break, thinks about life for 3/4s of a second, then decides to accelerate with 2 or 3 sluggish strides and then accelerates normally. Was snappier and more crisp during the beta, which I loved. Still is better than TPS, but not as good as it first was during that beta.
  • BassMan_PC
    357 posts Member
    edited June 2019

Come on now... the terrible change to the drop-in format with ODR, clown gear, etc. on top of the matchmaking issues and DRE has just about killed off the community and made NHL 19 an epic fail. This is the least my friends and I have played an NHL game since the inclusion of EASHL. Many people have also resorted to 3's because of the sloppy gameplay and lack of flow in 6's. The NHL series is in a sad state.
  • sethamphetamines
    330 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    BassMan_PC wrote: »

Come on now... the terrible change to the drop-in format with ODR, clown gear, etc. on top of the matchmaking issues and DRE has just about killed off the community and made NHL 19 an epic fail. This is the least my friends and I have played an NHL game since the inclusion of EASHL. Many people have also resorted to 3's because of the sloppy gameplay and lack of flow in 6's. The NHL series is in a sad state.

Wow, I have to disagree, this is the most I've enjoyed the gameplay in a long time. It's not the best, but I do think it's the best this gen.

I don't ever play drop in, and I haven't had any DRE's, and I don't play offline either, so I'm just ignorant to all those things. I have fun playing 3's.

Sure, I miss the good old days of sixes, playing with tons of people, not long waits for a match, playing as much as possible to rank up your card. Some of those things are just beyond the devs control though.

I think skating is the best it's been since NHL13/14. Hitting is good, it's over the top a little, but it's fun at least. The glitches are bad, but they always are, and at least that shortside shot usually comes from an actual good scoring position that could beat a goalie. We have a defensive skill stick, and pucks dislodge when you skate into the defender, which was always a complaint of mine on last gen.

The AI is still lacking, and yes, all the issues in the other modes I never play are of course a problem, but I definitely think they are finally heading in the right direction.

• Ka1serSoz3
    64 posts Member
    edited June 2019

Wow, I have to disagree, this is the most I've enjoyed the gameplay in a long time. It's not the best, but I do think it's the best this gen.

I don't ever play drop in, and I haven't had any DRE's, and I don't play offline either, so I'm just ignorant to all those things. I have fun playing 3's.

Sure, I miss the good old days of sixes, playing with tons of people, not long waits for a match, playing as much as possible to rank up your card. Some of those things are just beyond the devs control though.

I think skating is the best it's been since NHL13/14. Hitting is good, it's over the top a little, but it's fun at least. The glitches are bad, but they always are, and at least that shortside shot usually comes from an actual good scoring position that could beat a goalie. We have a defensive skill stick, and pucks dislodge when you skate into the defender, which was always a complaint of mine on last gen.

The AI is still lacking, and yes, all the issues in the other modes I never play are of course a problem, but I definitely think they are finally heading in the right direction.

Wow... talk about a pinpoint example of setting the bar low just because “it’s the best it’s been in recent memory”.

Let’s try to keep our expectations high people. A 6.5/10 video game isn’t “lit” just because the past 4 or 5 versions were 3 or 4 out of 10.
  • sethamphetamines
    330 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Ka1serSoz3 wrote: »

Wow... talk about a pinpoint example of setting the bar low just because “it’s the best it’s been in recent memory”.

Let’s try to keep our expectations high people. A 6.5/10 video game isn’t “lit” just because the past 4 or 5 versions were 3 or 4 out of 10.

I’d rate it higher than 6.5, but again, I said they were turning things around and heading in the right direction. In your own reply you agree. So by extension, if this year is better than the past few, then i think it’s unfair to call this year a failure. Last year was a failure. 15-17 were also failures of varying degrees. This is a step in the right direction.

And you put “lit” in quotes like I said it. I enjoy the game and am just relieved that I’m finally having any fun with this game. This was definitely my make or break it year. They won me back. Yeah there’s still tons of problems and crap, but it’s still an improvement.

[edited for shorthand swearing]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    I kinda think you're both right - gameplay has definitely improved since horrible NHL18 (skating etc.), yet at the same time there are major new issues, and many of the old issues keep haunting the game. I don't have much expectation that they will be 'fixed' in the future either.

On the other hand, they did that correction knee-jerk with tuners, it's good that they managed to salvage at least some of the promise in beta, but why did they go in the wrong direction from it to begin with is puzzling? Right now, I think pokes are ridiculously bad and the animations hilarious, and stick lifts are ridiculously good. Hitting is overboard, and too ineffective at the same time, depending.

Another puzzler is the DRE, I didn't have it for the most part of the year, but then I did get it a lot once they did one patch or another. Then it went away - I don't know why, did someone actually do something? I certainly didn't. So go figure.

For me the state of the gameplay is bearable (and it's the only hockey game out there), but these days I only play EASHL, I don't bother with drop-ins or the arcade modes - HUT, well I only play CPU & challenges to keep in practice. And the dire condition of the AI makes single-player modes really unplayable for me. So while I can enjoy the gameplay with other players (5vs5 at least), I can't really stand other modes. This doesn't sound like a great game, does it?
  • zingaa1
    406 posts Member
    sethamphetamines

I'm trying to understand, the reason this series is dying falls directly on the shoulders of developers, they created this mess and they're the only people who have the control or the ability to fix it, so I can't help but disagree, again.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    @sethamphetamines If you were basing your analysis on the NHL 19 BETA alone, then yes, I'd agree with you 100% that "EA is taking this series in the right direction". Then I notice how they took the great gameplay from the BETA and slowly but surely patched it and tuned it into NHL 18 v.2.0... and I can't help but wonder where this "right direction" went?

Let's ignore that there are problems in the game that are YEARS old even though, according to the devs, they built the game "from scratch" for next gen from NHL 15. Let's ignore the fact that the game is riddle with bugs, glitches and exploits up the wazoo (DRE in matchmaking, Goalie CR glitch, short side goals, goal line goals, backskate abuse, etc). Let's ignore that EA "listened" to the community by giving us the BETA tuners back, but omitted to turn back the patches as well. Let's ignore that the game plays NOTHING like the teaser trailer showing Sydney Crosby handling the puck and skating realistically behind the net. Let's ignore that NOTHING is fun about this game; not offense, not defense, not goaltending... Maybe ONES is fun (for a short while). Threes is an exploiter's wet dream come true. EASHL 6s and Drop-ins is a mess of SIM-CADE madness. The "custom" garb you earn through progression can't even be used in Drop-ins (where it was supposed to be used). HUT is still the same boring formula it's always been of get better cards to exploit the flawed mechanics as much as possible (99 speed, 99 accel players with BU activated and no penalties to other attributes) and where in DIV 10 you're regularly matched up with teams full of LEGENDS. HUT gets server connections, but VS remains with P2P.

Again, what about NHL 19 is "great"????...
  • Socair
    2722 posts Game Changer
    Let’s tone down the personal nature of some of the replies to Seth here guys. No ones really “attacking” him per se, but rather targeted responses.

There’s no need to go after someone for enjoying the game.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    While it's not much of a secret that I share pretty much the same view and vision as @VeNOM2099 Seth is perfectly entitled to his opinion. He has his own expectations from the game and in his opinion, the game meets most of his expectations. Nothing wrong with that. I think it's pretty obvious most of us have a different view and different expectations from this game.

I for one, pretty much only care about how the game plays in EASHL. All that matters is what's going on in my brain, how does that translate to the controller, and how does it react on screen. I could care less about all the rest. I care not for arenas vs playing in the mountains. Clown gear vs full gear. Hockey bags or grinds. I only care if the game is fun to play on the ice. Once the gameplay is fun, then I will worry about the bells and whistles.
    Post edited by WainGretSki on
  • Look I get it guys, but I think you’re misreading my statements.

Like everyone here, every release is “the last time ea is doing this to me I swear to god”.

This year really was my breaking point. I used to be all over these forums and even though I’d be miserable, I’d still play the game pretty much up until release of the next one. NHL 18 changed that. I stopped caring, stopped coming here, stopped playing the game. I wasn’t even going to download the 19 beta, but I’m glad I did.

I think most of us are in agreement the gameplay is better than last year. Yes, even currently. Better than the beta? Maybe not, but those patches fixed a lot of things you’d be mad about if they rolled them back.

So yes there are long standing issues, and yes there are still lots of problems. No the game isn’t perfect, but it’s better or at the very least stopped getting worse.

Most of my teammates have stopped playing years ago so I stick with 3s to minimize the AI players. I stay out of the troll fest that is drop in, and win or lose most games I have fun and enjoy the competition. Even in games that are clearly stacked against me with bad bounces, I know if I play well enough we can overcome. That never used to be the case. Last year I was frustrated win or lose. Last year when the bounces were going against you, it just felt hopeless.

Maybe my perspective of the game changed when I was so ready to break from the game completely, but I do enjoy it for what it is.

If you have dre’s, or play offline or hut, I’m sure your complaints are valid, but I never play those modes so I’m not affected by it.

This is a good base. They can fix glitches, they can improve boardplay and net front play. They can tweak pokes and skating and goalies. What they don’t need to do next year is try to reinvent the wheel again, like it seemed they were trying to do the past few years. Maybe they won’t just improve and instead put out a completely different experience again which will likely be not fun, but I have hope things will keep getting better.

Like I said, I don’t come around here much anymore, but I’m surprised that saying this is the best nhl this gen is such a controversial opinion.
  • BassMan_PC
    357 posts Member
    edited June 2019

There is no doubt that this year's game has improved in some aspects, but there is still a lot wrong with it. They are certainly not going in the right direction with the new drop-in format. The key thing to note is that you, like many others, have resorted to 3's to have fun. Think about that for a moment.... Hockey is a game of 5 players and a goalie vs. another 5 players and a goalie. It is not a game of 3 players per team. If you are playing a 'hockey' game and your enjoyment of the game comes from playing 3's then the game is a failure.

There are many reasons why people avoid playing 6's... not wanting to deal with the AI, not having enough players on, not able to find a decent matchup (5v2, no thanks), players getting dropped due to DRE and teams having to backout, lack of flow, etc.. These are all issues that frustrate players and lead them to stop playing the game entirely or get them to play 3's as a last ditch effort to try and enjoy the game. It is sad because EASHL used to be a thriving community and poor decisions and changes over the years have ruined it.

IMO, it all started going downhill when they got rid of multiple dressing rooms. This took away the flexibility for clubs and made it difficult to keep clubs together. Many people over the years have enjoyed drop-in when club is not an option and now they ruined that too with the clown gear and ODR which nobody asked for. People have given up on the series or don't play as much because they are not happy with it. It is a failure. It is not beyond saving, but EA has a lot of work to do.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »

There is no doubt that this year's game has improved in some aspects, but there is still a lot wrong with it. They are certainly not going in the right direction with the new drop-in format. The key thing to note is that you, like many others, have resorted to 3's to have fun. Think about that for a moment.... Hockey is a game of 5 players and a goalie vs. another 5 players and a goalie. It is not a game of 3 players per team. If you are playing a 'hockey' game and your enjoyment of the game comes from playing 3's then the game is a failure.

There are many reasons why people avoid playing 6's... not wanting to deal with the AI, not having enough players on, not able to find a decent matchup (5v2, no thanks), players getting dropped due to DRE and teams having to backout, lack of flow, etc.. These are all issues that frustrate players and lead them to stop playing the game entirely or get them to play 3's as a last ditch effort to try and enjoy the game. It is sad because EASHL used to be a thriving community and poor decisions and changes over the years have ruined it.

IMO, it all started going downhill when they got rid of multiple dressing rooms. This took away the flexibility for clubs and made it difficult to keep clubs together. Many people over the years have enjoyed drop-in when club is not an option and now they ruined that too with the clown gear and ODR which nobody asked for. People have given up on the series or don't play as much because they are not happy with it. It is a failure. It is not beyond saving, but EA has a lot of work to do.

I just feel like they are restricting our options for no good reason. When playing 6s, couldn't we just keep the system that we have now (search based on position) and then let us switch positions and sides? Maybe don't have a neutral position at all like we had previously so there'd be no issue with idling. Just e.g. have a button to change position, choose a new one, ta-dah. There have been many times I wished I could balance the teams, play center or goalie because there's only one human playing that position etc.
    Casual goalie gameplay: https://t.co/tQnYxAsyKy