EA Forums - Banner

EA, you have failed your core community and alienated your players

124Next

Replies

• But they have worked on EASHL extensively for 19.

Yeah the outdoor rinks, shadows & clown gear are definitely what they should be spending their time on.

I don't see what the fuss is about.

Parkas, cabins, helicopters and shadows. Nothing says more hockey than those four words.
  • But they have worked on EASHL extensively for 19.

Yeah the outdoor rinks, shadows & clown gear are definitely what they should be spending their time on.

Parkas, cabins, helicopters and shadows. Nothing says more hockey than those four words.

Don't forget the birds...
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    But they have worked on EASHL extensively for 19.

Don't forget the birds...

I love the bell tower, sirens and dogs barking. Super glad there's no option to turn them off too.
  • EA knows players don't like it and never wanted it, I can only assume it boiled down to being cheaper. Hopefully players see the direction this franchise is going and wise up.
  • zingaa1 wrote: »
    EA knows players don't like it and never wanted it, I can only assume it boiled down to being cheaper. Hopefully players see the direction this franchise is going and wise up.

How can it be cheaper? Every arena is already there. Every jersey was already there.

Now the presentation team had to create over 1800 clown items and these outdoor ponds. All the animations and background noises to go with those rinks. And of course, this "dynamic" lighting or should I say, intrusive shadows also got added.

It is definitely not cheaper by any stretch or means. It cost more money to bring it in, and I have yet to hear someone say this is fantastic and a reason they bought the game. Nobody wants it anymore. Clearly, EA pushed this on the presentation team and thought Fortniting this game out would help with sales. I somehow doubt it has helped sales in any way.

Pretty awesome the presentation team has to work on this clown mode that nobody wants, yet Franchise and Be a Pro has so many generic faces on players.... Makes sense, right? Priorities.
  • EA is not listen community now.
    Why? EA is not the TOP game maker as before. EA titles are not so good as before.
    Main reason is "no money no gold honey".
    Nhl20 is absolutely the worst EA sports game this year with the awfulest scoreboard on earth. No innovation, no changes, no community respect.
    Community says 4.5 from 10. It is simple. It is a fact!;EA wake up until is time...
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nhl-20
  • How can it be cheaper? Every arena ...
    You, my good sir, are normally spot on in your analyses of this game.
    The endurance stat for yourself and Venom is a clear 99.
    Even so:
    Clearly, EA pushed this on the presentation team and thought Fortniting this game out would help with sales.
    Do you really think EA, who has been a crucial part of defining what sport-games are all about, are so out of touch with what players want? You ever heard of the term "Whales"?

None of these things are "bad decisions". They are all carefully crafted business strategies. Unfortunately, that means fairness are out the window. Representing hockey is not the point. It's all about making you feel you need just one more player.

Follow the money and you'll see why things are the way they are!

• Oslik1000 wrote: »
    EA is not listen community now.
    Why? EA is not the TOP game maker as before. EA titles are not so good as before.
    Main reason is "no money no gold honey".
    Nhl20 is absolutely the worst EA sports game this year with the awfulest scoreboard on earth. No innovation, no changes, no community respect.
    Community says 4.5 from 10. It is simple. It is a fact!;EA wake up until is time...
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nhl-20

Next year it is dead. I think they again will loose massive customers. If you read what’s going on in Twitter on their advertisements you know that.
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »
    no community respect.

I think this is the most glaring issue they have. They don't care enough to talk to us, or listen to repetitive complaints about the same things over and over.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    SpillGal wrote: »
    How can it be cheaper? Every arena ...
    You, my good sir, are normally spot on in your analyses of this game.
    The endurance stat for yourself and Venom is a clear 99.
    Even so:
    Clearly, EA pushed this on the presentation team and thought Fortniting this game out would help with sales.
    Do you really think EA, who has been a crucial part of defining what sport-games are all about, are so out of touch with what players want? You ever heard of the term "Whales"?

None of these things are "bad decisions". They are all carefully crafted business strategies. Unfortunately, that means fairness are out the window. Representing hockey is not the point. It's all about making you feel you need just one more player.

Follow the money and you'll see why things are the way they are!

Well, I agree that is the purpose in HUT. Make you buy as many packs as possible. It is after all, the business model.

However, when it comes to EASHL and clowning out the mode, I seriously have to consider the payoff is simply not worth it. All the extra added hours of creating all of this Fortnite atmosphere is simply not worth it. Gameplay is my priority over how we look and where we play it. But when gameplay is suffering (see LT abuse as one reference) then the rest seems worse than it is. But even then, seeing doughnuts and dress suits on players just does not have its place in hockey. Maybe 12 year-olds like it, but I don't. It doesn't advance the game in any way, and I find it doesn't bring anything more than if it wasn't there.
    Post edited by WainGretSki on
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Funny thing is, I was watching an NHL stream this weekend (one of the top NHL streamers actually), and even he was starting to get annoyed at the game. I mean, at first, when he started to play the game he wasn't really big on hockey. Just thought it looked cool and the game was "fun". But now that he's somewhat learned about hockey and knows a thing or two, he's starting to see more and more flaws.

For instance, he was a big advocate for making the AI dumber than it already is to combat "skillzoners". Now he sees that making the AI dumb was... well dumb! The way to defeat bad players, is to be better than them. Not make the game easier!

Another streamer I saw yesterday was basically lamenting the state of the game's popularity as modes like HUT Champs was a virtual ghost town. At this point last year it would take so much effort to make top 200, let alone top 20. Now making top 50 with a record that wouldn't even get you top 500 last year is sure thing because there simply aren't enough people playing. And he plays on both consoles.

What worries me is that if the streamers are getting fed up, just WHO exactly is telling EA that the gameplay is in a good place?
    Funny thing is, I was watching an NHL stream this weekend (one of the top NHL streamers actually), and even he was starting to get annoyed at the game. I mean, at first, when he started to play the game he wasn't really big on hockey. Just thought it looked cool and the game was "fun". But now that he's somewhat learned about hockey and knows a thing or two, he's starting to see more and more flaws.

For instance, he was a big advocate for making the AI dumber than it already is to combat "skillzoners". Now he sees that making the AI dumb was... well dumb! The way to defeat bad players, is to be better than them. Not make the game easier!

Another streamer I saw yesterday was basically lamenting the state of the game's popularity as modes like HUT Champs was a virtual ghost town. At this point last year it would take so much effort to make top 200, let alone top 20. Now making top 50 with a record that wouldn't even get you top 500 last year is sure thing because there simply aren't enough people playing. And he plays on both consoles.

What worries me is that if the streamers are getting fed up, just WHO exactly is telling EA that the gameplay is in a good place?

Sadly, I can say that I saw this coming, but not everyone shares the same opinion.

IMHO, the beta for 19 was simply the best. Good players still knew how to score, they were still good passers, they still understood the game. So essentially, if you put the work in, you were a good player and managed to score your goals.

Defense was fun. Physical play was rewarded when it made sense to do so. It was forcing players to move the puck around a whole lot more than the past few years. It was very hard to just hog the puck and twirl around in the corners for the over-used cheap tactics. Defense was actually fun to play and if you were smart about it, you were a good D-man.

Goaltending was fun because if you were anywhere near a decent goalie, your play showed, it was rewarded and it was actually fun. The very first game I played on the first night of the beta, I actually got a 27 save shutout. Played about 5 more and moved on to play D. Essentially, it was rewarding to play and if you had even remotely decent D men, it was even better.

AI goalies were actually making saves as well. So much so, a portion of the community complained about it and of course, all of a sudden AI goalies were noobs.

I don't care if a select few cannot score. Why? Because things got changed around and now here we are with yet again even more problems than before. Playing goalie is garbage. Playing D is hardly fun, but can be rewarding if you know the mechanics. AI goalies are by far worse than ever before. Also got a new problem of players picking off passes with their backs turned to the play. It is favoring hogging because LT works all too well and players are intercepting passes they simply should not be intercepting in many circumstances.

The game was fine last year in its very early release and now barely a year later, I simply do not know who it is catered to and who enjoys it very much. All I know is, I watch hockey. I play hockey. They both have the same feeling and spirit. But this video game..... simply fails at emulating this in every way.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Sadly, I can say that I saw this coming, but not everyone shares the same opinion.

IMHO, the beta for 19 was simply the best. Good players still knew how to score, they were still good passers, they still understood the game. So essentially, if you put the work in, you were a good player and managed to score your goals.

Defense was fun. Physical play was rewarded when it made sense to do so. It was forcing players to move the puck around a whole lot more than the past few years. It was very hard to just hog the puck and twirl around in the corners for the over-used cheap tactics. Defense was actually fun to play and if you were smart about it, you were a good D-man.

Goaltending was fun because if you were anywhere near a decent goalie, your play showed, it was rewarded and it was actually fun. The very first game I played on the first night of the beta, I actually got a 27 save shutout. Played about 5 more and moved on to play D. Essentially, it was rewarding to play and if you had even remotely decent D men, it was even better.

AI goalies were actually making saves as well. So much so, a portion of the community complained about it and of course, all of a sudden AI goalies were noobs.

I don't care if a select few cannot score. Why? Because things got changed around and now here we are with yet again even more problems than before. Playing goalie is garbage. Playing D is hardly fun, but can be rewarding if you know the mechanics. AI goalies are by far worse than ever before. Also got a new problem of players picking off passes with their backs turned to the play. It is favoring hogging because LT works all too well and players are intercepting passes they simply should not be intercepting in many circumstances.

The game was fine last year in its very early release and now barely a year later, I simply do not know who it is catered to and who enjoys it very much. All I know is, I watch hockey. I play hockey. They both have the same feeling and spirit. But this video game..... simply fails at emulating this in every way.

Oh, I forgot to mention: the first streamer I was talking about was fuming about scoring EA goals... Can you imagine? He got a couple of lucky shots that just hit the goalie and went in and he was absolutely livid about it;

"Wow... Such skill. Did you see how much skill I used to score that goal? Amazing!"

LOLOLOLOL!!!

I think that's one of the main problems with how the game is right now. It's fine if you don't know the sport because, well you just don't know and don't care. Random things that are extremely rare in a real hockey game but that keep happening nearly every game in this videogame go right over your head. But once you start to learn about the actual sport, that's when things go south because you start to notice every little flaw.

But hey, that doesn't matter. Gameplay is in a good place, remember? Like someone else mentioned on these forums: it's just a videogame, like Borderlands or Fortnite. It's not hockey, so it doesn't matter.

Oh, I forgot to mention: the first streamer I was talking about was fuming about scoring EA goals... Can you imagine? He got a couple of lucky shots that just hit the goalie and went in and he was absolutely livid about it;

"Wow... Such skill. Did you see how much skill I used to score that goal? Amazing!"

LOLOLOLOL!!!

I think that's one of the main problems with how the game is right now. It's fine if you don't know the sport because, well you just don't know and don't care. Random things that are extremely rare in a real hockey game but that keep happening nearly every game in this videogame go right over your head. But once you start to learn about the actual sport, that's when things go south because you start to notice every little flaw.

But hey, that doesn't matter. Gameplay is in a good place, remember? Like someone else mentioned on these forums: it's just a videogame, like Borderlands or Fortnite. It's not hockey, so it doesn't matter.

Yea, I can agree.

Main problem for me is, the carrier can have 2 or 3 people on him trying to cut him out of the play. You can then have a completely open player just waiting for that deadly pass if it gets through. Problem is, those 2 players are just as dangerous whereas in real life, the carrier would be virtually a non-threat. When you're playing goalie, makes it a hell of alot harder to do your job. It is also frustrating as a D man. Seems alot of times logic is not part of the equation.

LOLOLOLOL!!!

I was also watching his stream where he was pointing out major flaws by the ai defense ,where they would just abandon their positions ,also he was pointing out how the game is offensively played because of the way the ai plays in the defensive zone, no the game isn't a good place ,but it can be if EA just would listen and make some adjustments ,the game can be a great game to play for everyone