EA Forums - Banner

Funny or sad?

Prev13
kezz123
600 posts Member
Holy smokes. Laughing at the NHL series has been an ongoing thing for many people on my friend list who used to love the series who stopped playing long ago. We usually joke...."have you heard? The next NHL is supposed to be amazing! They are adding mouthpieces! Its going to be totally different now I swear!"
But one of these types of jokes was...."Have you heard? They are adding Battle Royale in NHL this year!"
This was pretty much the unbeatable version of ridiculousness of the joke...

And here it is. I am honestly in shock. Laughing so hard I spit my coke all over the keyboard. Shared on Discord and people are in literal shock.

Is it more funny than sad or vice versa? I have to ponder on it.

Im sorry for being negative here but I just cant help it here.....its too much.

I honestly cannot wait to play a good NHL game again, its unfortunate that it wont be this year yet again. I have been away from the game for a few years now and its easier by the year. I still follow and remain hopeful but stuff like this is just depressing. We honestly have never needed competition more than in the NHL sector.

Good luck anyways.

Replies

• I didn’t even react when I read the release notes..... I already have read this book enough times to know what the game will be like........basically a Christmas buy now when’s it half off.....they don’t deserve full price
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    I didn’t even react when I read the release notes..... I already have read this book enough times to know what the game will be like........basically a Christmas buy now when’s it half off.....they don’t deserve full price
    i cant even find the interest to play more than a dozen games in the Beta much less buy it at any price which makes me oh so sad because I want to play hockey so bad.

You know its bad when i actually enjoy slapshot on steam more than the nhl games.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    I didn’t even react when I read the release notes..... I already have read this book enough times to know what the game will be like........basically a Christmas buy now when’s it half off.....they don’t deserve full price
    i cant even find the interest to play more than a dozen games in the Beta much less buy it at any price which makes me oh so sad because I want to play hockey so bad.

You know its bad when i actually enjoy slapshot on steam more than the nhl games.
    I’m with ya brother
  • I think it's sad that people cant tell the difference between an actual Battle Royale and the phrase "Inspired by the winner-take-all competition in battle royale"

I think it's sad people take whatever snippet they can and run with it in the form of angry rants just parroting what they see and hear.

No, nobody asked for a tournament or any kind of elimination bracket. It is likely going to be dead by November or at the most minimally populated.

There are a dozens of reasons to be upset over NHL 20s feature set. Calling something a BR when EA NHL didn't even call it that is sad.

It's almost the end of the current generation of consoles. So this and NHL 21 will both be similar. I'm not saying anyone should be happy about it.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    I think it's sad that people cant tell the difference between an actual Battle Royale and the phrase "Inspired by the winner-take-all competition in battle royale"

I think it's sad people take whatever snippet they can and run with it in the form of angry rants just parroting what they see and hear.

No, nobody asked for a tournament or any kind of elimination bracket. It is likely going to be dead by November or at the most minimally populated.

There are a dozens of reasons to be upset over NHL 20s feature set. Calling something a BR when EA NHL didn't even call it that is sad.

It's almost the end of the current generation of consoles. So this and NHL 21 will both be similar. I'm not saying anyone should be happy about it.

Im not the marketing guy who used the term BR.
    I think its sad that people are ok with marketing using a key term for business and then not take the backlash that comes with it.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    I think EA knows perfectly well how important the terminology they use in public, hence their big whig's aversion to calling lootbags as lootbags... they're 'surpise mechanisms' apparently?

It's symptomatic for their current attitude to use a term which refers to other games from other genres. They're trying to change this hockey game into something else in order to lure people who aren't really into hockey.

Like, think about all those millions of people playing Fortnite, what if we could get them playing NHL20? Hence individual costuming aka cloown gear, and the new facemask thingies. What's next, you can actually build the rink on the go, and shoot the opponents? :*

They're chasing after rainbows, if you ask me.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I think EA knows perfectly well how important the terminology they use in public, hence their big whig's aversion to calling lootbags as lootbags... they're 'surpise mechanisms' apparently?

It's symptomatic for their current attitude to use a term which refers to other games from other genres. They're trying to change this hockey game into something else in order to lure people who aren't really into hockey.

Like, think about all those millions of people playing Fortnite, what if we could get them playing NHL20? Hence individual costuming aka cloown gear, and the new facemask thingies. What's next, you can actually build the rink on the go, and shoot the opponents? :*

They're chasing after rainbows, if you ask me.

Fully agree with you. So far the announcement for 20 is not impressing me at all.

My prediction for next year: A Capture the Puck (known as Capture the Flag in any other game) mode where you can hog for days!
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    If I would decide to buy, will be late and in used condition from private. My wished main points are not included in this update.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

This is the main problem with this series currently. Each year they chase after casual players who don't really care about hockey, meanwhile they lose more and more of their existing player base. They should be trying to win back people who left the series by improving the gameplay and adding things that the players have been asking for for years (ie club practice mode, modernizing offline modes, etc), not catering to casual players who, even if they do try out NHL, aren't likely to stick around long aways. To put it another way, they don't need to find a new audience, they need to win back the audience they've lost.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

This is the main problem with this series currently. Each year they chase after casual players who don't really care about hockey, meanwhile they lose more and more of their existing player base. They should be trying to win back people who left the series by improving the gameplay and adding things that the players have been asking for for years (ie club practice mode, modernizing offline modes, etc), not catering to casual players who, even if they do try out NHL, aren't likely to stick around long aways. To put it another way, they don't need to find a new audience, they need to win back the audience they've lost.

You're choosing to focus on one thing when they just came out with 2 announcements yesterday that cater to the hardcore crowd. I don't get why you guys are so hung up on a marketing term. You guys complain the game doesn't improve enough each year. The skating change was much needed and something the majority of this community wanted. The incoming changes to pick ups and goalies look to be more good news for the hardcore players. They are doing things to win back the audience they've lost. Except the small amount of people that played GMC. I guess those guys are out of luck. Otherwise, new skating, improved pick ups and improved goalies are 3 of the biggest complaints in recent years by the hardcore crowd.

My god though. It's July. We haven't even played the beta. They've made announcements that sound like huge wins and you guys are already calling it a used buy because there's a single elimination game mode in it. Seems a bit like a knee-jerk reaction.
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

Except the small amount of people that played GMC.

Did you ever look on Twitter advertisements of the game and what gets there the most likes ? I guess you didn’t !
  • I think it's sad that people cant tell the difference between an actual Battle Royale and the phrase "Inspired by the winner-take-all competition in battle royale"

This, well said sir.

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Froommey wrote: »

Did you ever look on Twitter advertisements of the game and what gets there the most likes ? I guess you didn’t !

In the grand scheme of things, it's a small portion of the player base.
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    Froommey wrote: »

In the grand scheme of things, it's a small portion of the player base.

No it isn’t. This people which write in this Forum are the small base of gamers. There are many other Forums and the meanings there and at social media are in many points opposite to this one. I check them all from time to time.

• kezz123
    600 posts Member

You're choosing to focus on one thing when they just came out with 2 announcements yesterday that cater to the hardcore crowd. I don't get why you guys are so hung up on a marketing term. You guys complain the game doesn't improve enough each year. The skating change was much needed and something the majority of this community wanted. The incoming changes to pick ups and goalies look to be more good news for the hardcore players. They are doing things to win back the audience they've lost. Except the small amount of people that played GMC. I guess those guys are out of luck. Otherwise, new skating, improved pick ups and improved goalies are 3 of the biggest complaints in recent years by the hardcore crowd.

My god though. It's July. We haven't even played the beta. They've made announcements that sound like huge wins and you guys are already calling it a used buy because there's a single elimination game mode in it. Seems a bit like a knee-jerk reaction.

Im pretty sure nobody is allowed to use the term Knee Jerk Reaction to negativeness of any NHL releases after getting burned for 4 years in a row lol
  • kezz123 wrote: »

Im pretty sure nobody is allowed to use the term Knee Jerk Reaction to negativeness of any NHL releases after getting burned for 4 years in a row lol

Five years in a row, for what it’s worth. 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. Besides skating (which could still use some more work if we are being honest) there have been zero major “new” upgrades to gameplay.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    kezz123 wrote: »

Five years in a row, for what it’s worth. 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. Besides skating (which could still use some more work if we are being honest) there have been zero major “new” upgrades to gameplay.
    kezz123 wrote: »

Skating was major though. It changed the game. Besides that we had DSS, puck pick ups (yes, they have improved), way less own goals since it's far more difficult to score on yourself, the new dekes that were put in a few years ago can be great for creating new scoring chances plus Ben has explained how there have been many animation changes with how blends are handled which lead to smoother play in general. While it may not be major year to year, over time it's a big deal.

Compare 19 to 15 and they are very different games. Which is how this series, and pretty much every sports series has been since the beginning of time. It's not like every year there are sweeping changes. There's normally a big change with the switch to a new console generation. Then they build on that game for several years. This is how it's been for close to 30 years now. You can't rebuild a brand new game that is majorly overhauled every year. When you compare the game that launched with a new console to the one that finished it off, you'll see a big difference between the 2. Those total some major upgrades. Now, take a game like GTA 3 and compare it to GTA 4. 7 years went by in that time. Compare NHL 01 to NHL 08 and look how big the upgrades are. If GTA had annual releases, you'd probably say the same thing. It was a reskin of the old game with new missions and new maps and complain about it.

So, I think after nearly 30 years of sports video games following the same formula, we'd be a little more conditioned to understand annual releases aren't going to contain a bunch of major upgrades. You will see them add up through a console's generation though.
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    About the new dekes ... yes they are great but should be strong limited to few players. ( not gamers ) When you watch this deky games they don’t look now like NHL games, more like Arcade games. You never will see such massive dekes in a real NHL game.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    You're choosing to focus on one thing when they just came out with 2 announcements yesterday that cater to the hardcore crowd.

What new announcements are you referring to? The only new item on the official NHL 20 site is about HUT pack probabilities. Link?
    I don't get why you guys are so hung up on a marketing term.

I don't know what you're even talking about. I'm "hung up" on the fact that for three years straight they've wasted most of the development effort on stuff aimed at casual players, at the expense of improvements the actual player base has been asking for. The main addition to NHL 18 was the arcadey 3s mode, which nobody wanted, and EASHL 3s, which just split an already smallish player base in half. The main additions to NHL 19 were Ones mode and clown gear, which again, nobody wanted, and the clown gear actually makes the game worse (hard to tell who's on which team). Now for NHL 20 the primary new feature is an elimination mode, which nobody wants, and they are doubling down on the clown gear.
    The skating change was much needed and something the majority of this community wanted.

Yes the skating was great in the beta and at release, then they ruined it with tuners to satisfy a handful of streamers. Thankfully (and credit to the devs for doing so) they listened to us for once and returned the skating mostly to the way it was.
    The incoming changes to pick ups and goalies look to be more good news for the hardcore players.

I am hopeful that the new goalie AI will improve things, but I'm rightfully skeptical that it will just result in a new set of "glitch goals" that go in every time. Every year they claim to have improved puck pickups, and they are still terrible.
    They are doing things to win back the audience they've lost.

Such as? And if that is the case, why does the player base continue to shrink every year?

I agree that it's only July, and who knows, maybe the beta will be great, but the announcements they've made thus far don't support that. If they'd made major gameplay improvements, they should have led with that, then said "oh by the way, we're also adding an elimination game mode, but that was not our main focus, gameplay was", and "oh by they way, we're dropping the clown gear and it will never return!"