EA Forums - Banner

NHL® 20 FEATURES OVERVIEW

Replies

• Follisimo
    1094 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    So they lost they gave up the one of the few last authentic thing NBC license, how is that a good thing?
    As for the other announcements. You guys know me already, I didn't expect much, but this is just embarrassing. It's sad how far the game can get in few years, in a wrong direction.
    This hockey game now is looking more like basketball, not sure how they did it yet.
    Meh. I'm seriously angry

This is how it's a good thing. More freedom and availability. Probably doesn't hurt it probably saved them $$$.

ppcua3o0rq0x.jpeg

• Really? :)
    From OS:
    "So let me get this straight...last year they inexplicably removed all of the licensed goal songs from the game. And this year they’re removing the NBC announce team (and surely the NBC graphics). So in two years, they’ve made the game far less immersive and made it much less authentic to what we hear and see in the arena and on tv. Boy, glad to see they’re making progress!"
  • Iceman11
    65 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Looks like they focused online and no love to offline again. Unless some more info is released for those offline modes in the next couple months I will be skipping this series purchase again.

*Edit - I did read the Game Informer article that dives a bit deeper into added content and there does appear to be some additions to GM mode but overall, not sure if it's enough to sway me...yet.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited June 2019

Hm, they claim the clown suit circuit 'resonated' with the fans, so EA's adding even more gear / clown suits? Really, in what alternate reality? half the players can't stand drop-ins now due to the outdoor rinks and clown suits; many of those who have to settle for 'droppings' absolutely loathe it, but they just have use it. Some are indifferent, and I guess some people even like it. But to claim it resonated - is a bit of a stretch - unless they mean people had strong opinions about clown gear (which is true enough :p ).

It was a game style nobody asked for to begin with, and they just keep pushing it. in an *NHL* title no less. They should maybe consider the fact that dropins are forced to use clown gear. I bet if people could choose which ones to use, they'd go pro gear almost every time. or better yet, make that casual pond hockey a separate game, and see how well it sells?

• Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Hm, they claim the clown suit circuit 'resonated' with the fans, so EA's adding even more gear / clown suits? Really, in what alternate reality? half the players can't stand drop-ins now due to the outdoor rinks and clown suits; many of those who have to settle for 'droppings' absolutely loathe it, but they just have use it. Some are indifferent, and I guess some people even like it. But to claim it resonated - is a bit of a stretch - unless they mean people had strong opinions about clown gear (which is true enough :p ).

It was a game style nobody asked for to begin with, and they just keep pushing it. in an *NHL* title no less. They should maybe consider the fact that dropins are forced to use clown gear. I bet if people could choose which ones to use, they'd go pro gear almost every time. or better yet, make that casual pond hockey a separate game, and see how well it sells?

100% agree
  • savatagion24
    137 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    It's pretty obvious that they don't care about actually selling copies of this game. They just seem to be trying to scrape pennies from the whole eSports phenomenon. That's a fad that will die just like all fads with no substance, so I guess we'll see how they change their strategy in a few years when they have to make this game for the next generation console.

We can all say we aren't buying the game (I'm certainly not planning on it), but they don't care. As long as they're getting some TV dollars from eSports, they don’t care about actually improving the game.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Really? :)
    From OS:
    "So let me get this straight...last year they inexplicably removed all of the licensed goal songs from the game. And this year they’re removing the NBC announce team (and surely the NBC graphics). So in two years, they’ve made the game far less immersive and made it much less authentic to what we hear and see in the arena and on tv. Boy, glad to see they’re making progress!"

You actually liked the presentation and commentary? Im so glad they got rid of that boring NBC presentation and Doc Emrick was the worst play by play guy ever, he is good in IRL but in the game he was AWFUL. Literally turned off play by play sound to 0 after the first week.
  • For me, personally, this is the most underwhelming reveal in a long time. At this point I don't really play anything but EASHL club games and there's just not enough on-ice news here to get me interested.

I'm hopeful the new animations will help alleviate some of the clunkiness around shots and puck pickups. But it's also possible that more animations just means more opportunities for the game to take control of my player away from me. Until we get a chance to actually play the game and see it's hard to get all that excited.

Goalies handling rebounds better is good news, but we've heard it before and I really need to see it to believe it at this point.

The only other thing that I like seeing is that Ones is getting local multiplayer. And that's only so I can play the mode with my kids.

Other than that it's a big pile of meh. New commentary, team celebrations, collectable gear, new presentation style just don't do anything for me.

I think @B-Bunny is right. EA is obviously targeting an audience I'm just not a part of.

• savatagion24
    137 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Half? For the past 10 years or so, I played NHL all year, even during years where it was really bad (like '15 on the next gen), but I stopped playing NHL 19 in like November because of the stupid outdoor rinks, clown suits, etc. All of my former clubmates from Finland stopped playing it for the same reason.

Someone else said something like "maybe we aren't their target demographic". Uh, yeah. Obviously. Apparently, they decided to target a demographic other than 'hockey fans', yet they call it "NHL".

They should change the name of this game to "Arcade Pond Hockey".

[Socair - edited for profanity]
  • The lack of any work being done to handle online toxicity is disheartening.

New presentation sounds good.

New commentary to turn off - so maybe that volume level will stay above zero longer than a week this year.

Still no custom music? Lame.

The whole “new team celebrations” sound like they could be a little cheesey. Gonna need to see some video of that.

No lobbies? No tools to handle trolls? No accountability to finish a game?

EA has a real opportunity to engage the community with their game, but the lack of effort in providing in-game tools to do so is very discouraging.

Especially when we read about a new battle royal mode that nobody asked for. It’s like; is THIS what EA brought a bunch of new developers over for?

If the work that was done on this ridiculous battle royal mode resulted in the ability to join EASHL games mid-game, then I would say the development effort is worth it.

But hell - if there was significant resources put in to that without a global net-effort.... sigh.

The “target demographic” comment is hilarious. So, in what universe should the target demo of a hockey game be shifted AWAY from hockey fans?

Hockey is hockey. We all want tools to play better hockey; practice mode in EASHL, lobbies to entice cooperative play, custom music to improve immersion and changes to things that have been the EXACT SAME for years: Board Play, faceoffs.

I’m excited for all of the changes but when other aspects of the game remain dormant for years and you get sucked in to a board battle from 5 feet out, your eyes will roll and those “changes” will seem tainted.

I am curious to know if custom cameras have made a return? Any camera changes?

• Follisimo
    1094 posts Member
    The lack of any work being done to handle online toxicity is disheartening.

New presentation sounds good.

New commentary to turn off - so maybe that volume level will stay above zero longer than a week this year.

Still no custom music? Lame.

The whole “new team celebrations” sound like they could be a little cheesey. Gonna need to see some video of that.

No lobbies? No tools to handle trolls? No accountability to finish a game?

EA has a real opportunity to engage the community with their game, but the lack of effort in providing in-game tools to do so is very discouraging.

Especially when we read about a new battle royal mode that nobody asked for. It’s like; is THIS what EA brought a bunch of new developers over for?

If the work that was done on this ridiculous battle royal mode resulted in the ability to join EASHL games mid-game, then I would say the development effort is worth it.

But hell - if there was significant resources put in to that without a global net-effort.... sigh.

The “target demographic” comment is hilarious. So, in what universe should the target demo of a hockey game be shifted AWAY from hockey fans?

Hockey is hockey. We all want tools to play better hockey; practice mode in EASHL, lobbies to entice cooperative play, custom music to improve immersion and changes to things that have been the EXACT SAME for years: Board Play, faceoffs.

I’m excited for all of the changes but when other aspects of the game remain dormant for years and you get sucked in to a board battle from 5 feet out, your eyes will roll and those “changes” will seem tainted.

I am curious to know if custom cameras have made a return? Any camera changes?

EA defending loot boxes......
    “We do think the way that we have implemented these kinds of mechanics – and FIFA, of course, is our big one, our FIFA Ultimate Team and our packs – is actually quite ethical and quite fun, quite enjoyable to people," Hopkins said.

But like I said elsewhere. Their main focus should be on the next-gen and not this year. FIFA isn't doing anything special either this year and simply phoning it in. The BR mode isn't really anything special. It's just a 1s and 3s tournament.

Since we saw how awful 15 was next-gen I don't think they want to recreate the same thing. I would like to believe Frostbite and PC come in NHL 21.

• mgworek
    29 posts Member
    "paired with overhauled scoreboards, overlays and motion graphics"

Does this mean when playing offline in GM mode the stupid overlays showing the teams store specials overlay won't prevent you from making line changes anymore? Nothing like wanting to change up your lines but you can't see the energy levels because they are telling you about the team store.
  • I can't believe how negative you guys are being, these changes are actually good on paper.

Yes, I agree that the game should be further along, but it isn't thanks to the disastrous NHL 15 release.

Instead of being negative, let's try an exercise, is there anything you do like about the reveal (as underwhelmed as you may be)? If so, what is it?

I was also underwhelmed but I did find the trade finder and the addition of coaches to Franchise mode to be something worth getting excited over.
  • I can't believe how negative you guys are being, these changes are actually good on paper.

Yes, I agree that the game should be further along, but it isn't thanks to the disastrous NHL 15 release.

Instead of being negative, let's try an exercise, is there anything you do like about the reveal (as underwhelmed as you may be)? If so, what is it?

I was also underwhelmed but I did find the trade finder and the addition of coaches to Franchise mode to be something worth getting excited over.

The changes to presentation alone are exciting.

Lots of new goalie animations, shooting animations (which should solve some core issues raised over the years) and the usual tweaks we get that aren’t discussed a ton until the game drops ... still lots to be excited about.

Did you read the thread I just posted? Literally nothing the community has asked for except shooting improvements, Fire/hire coaches, commentary was included. No one asked for a battle royale style mode.

There are like three major changes they made this year that required effort and one of them (battle royale) NO ONE asked for.
  • jrago73
    623 posts Member
    For me personally the commentary doesn't mean anything to me. Too many of our club have quit so I'm usually running dropins with 1 or 2 friends. That's most of my nhl time, and its spent on outdoor rinks with no commentary so I can listen to the same 12 songs on loop all year instead.

Maybe the coaches will help make me want to play gm mode, but I doubt it. This franchise is the king of "good idea, bad execution". I'll expect it to be handled poorly and be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

Same with the animations. If there are 3 goals that the goaltenders cant stop this year, I wont care what new ineffective animation the goalie is whiffing with etc. Still willing to be pleasantly surprised.

I dont like 3's, I dont like 1's, I doubt I'll like battle royal ones. I hate how much its split up the matchmaking. Would much rather have a better pool to draw from in the 6v6 modes, you know, the ones that are hockey.

Just for extra credit: As stated I mostly just play with my friends. I'll complain ahead of time now that EA still wont give us a way to play in gm mode on the same team over the internet (Hi Madden, I see you back there too). We dont need any additional fancy screens for the non-hosts to look at between games, just let us invite from the controller select screen for now, add ui later.

That's why I'm disappointed, but maybe they aren't trying to make a game for me anymore.

Did you read the thread I just posted? Literally nothing the community has asked for except shooting improvements, Fire/hire coaches, commentary was included. No one asked for a battle royale style mode.

There are like three major changes they made this year that required effort and one of them (battle royale) NO ONE asked for.

I did read your post several minutes after I commented on this. You're right, no one did ask for this, but hey it may be fun. No one really asked you World of CHEL either but it was greeted warmly for the most part. I suspect once people play this they'll like it.

On the other hand, you're right there are things that they didn't add in that people have not asked for. But I know the feeling of wanting something and not getting it. For years I've asked for a multi player franchise mode, and haven't gotten it. And hockey could really benefit from having it. But for some reason it hasn't been added yet.

Either way, not everyone is going to agree with the direction the game is going. For example, I like the fact that they're adding more to franchise mode while @EvanAshopenace might want to see Be a Pro revamped instead. Just an example of offline modes.

We'll have to agree to disagree I suppose. But I respect your opinion.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    Maybe you aren't their target demographic anymore lol

How are they supposed to grow the franchise by targeting kids while still asking for $60 ($80 for you Canadians) annually and say they don’t get enough funds/small dev team when they choose to add stuff like this. If I wanted to play Battle Royale game I’d would play a dedicated game to that genre like PUBG.

With that being said, they keeping add game modes that split up the player base. Sometimes finding a 6s EASHL game ain’t as fast as it was a couple a years ago. Either players have stopped playing the series or are playing other modes.

The fundamentals of the sport should be the focus. Not wacky tacky clothing.

• I’m disappointed that they’re still going down the path of hockey bags as a meaning to unlock things. I never once was amped of excited about opening a hockey bag. I just want to unlock what I want or how things were in any NHL game before 19.

Since they added more customization, I hope they figured out that many players and clubs can no longer unlock stuff due to being max rank, thus unable to open any more bags.

I feel like in order for us to unlock all skater/ goalie customization, they’ll force us to play the BR style mode. The way they have it in 19 now is to force players to play Ones to unlock they’re missing stuff if they’re max rank. I’m max rank and if I had everything thing unlocked, I wouldn’t have ever played the Ones mode.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    I dunno, it seems like this franchise has found a bottom, someone out there is making really bad decisions. Think about the loot boxes, I am betting they originally intended them to be purchaseable with money, like HUT packs (well you buy coins with money, and then buy packs with them - how clever). Hey it's a new way to squeeze money out of us. But then there was the Internet scandal about loot boxes with other games (one of them EA's Battlefront SW) and even legislator's in several countries got interested about the gambling angle, so they backed down, like many have had to do since.

Then there was the clown gear fiasco, when people complained that they couldn't tell one player from another, they had to back down and put white/black hoodies on everybody in 6vs6 drop ins. So the entire clown gear idea became rather pointless in part. It's like they don't really think through these ideas.

And worst of it is, they keep introducing these game modes and styles which nobody has asked for. Some may like them, but I bet most people would just rather not have them. Like someone mentioned, they are fragmenting the player base, and this game can ill afford it. As much as the fans like hockey, they just drop this game because it is so lacking in gameplay and the original modes which were good and about real hockey.

People on this forums and other social media are clamouring for the glory days when the game full of great features, but EA just ignores them year after year... it's preposterous. It's like EA really doesn't care about hockey or actually even understand the game. I wonder what the devs think about this situation? I would be extremely annoyed having to work with such stuff (to put it nicely).