EA Forums - Banner

NHL® 20 FEATURES OVERVIEW

Replies

• mikeq67
    137 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    usmckillem wrote: »
    What ticks me off is that Sony San Diego is a better sports game developer than a huge company like EA. Their baseball game puts all of EA’s sports titles to shame. You know why? Because they focus on the sport first and not a stupid battle royale mode thats why.

This just isnt true. It was 3-4 years ago. But theyve totally sold out for their card collecting game mode as well. The gameplay has become a random shitfest just like this one. Every other game mode has been ignored. Their only content and gameplay additions have been to their version of UT. Theyve removed their online franchise mode a year ago. Theyve sadly become a carbon copy of EA.

Its time a lot of us realize sports game are dead. They dont give a crap about the gameplay or the actual sport. They just want everyone to spend extra money on virtual cardpacks.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • My take on "new" features from
    https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/06/19/breaking-down-the-16-biggest-changes-coming-to-nhl-20

Signature Shots For NHL Superstars - cosmetic
    Contextual Shot Animations Unleash The Snipers - If it means that we miss the puck less, big +
    Goalies Get Some Love - If it mean that goalies can deflect shots in to the corners, and saves passes, big +
    Puck Pickups Get Another Pass - If it mean that my family can sleep at night, when I don't scream in fury, big +
    New Team Celebrations - cosmetic
    Revamped Broadcasting Package Includes New Commentators - cosmetic, but if the clock is less in the way - small +
    Guest Commentators Also Make Appearances - who cares?
    More World Of Chel Customization - cosmetic -little +
    HUT Gets Squad Battles - Ignore HUT
    New Legendary Card Animations - cosmetic
    Four New Outdoor Venues - cosmetic, but nice little +
    The Coaching Carousel Comes To NHL little +
    A New Line Chemistry System - little +
    NHL 20 Finally Adds A Trade Finder! - big + (Now let us search players based on several stats.)
    Ones Gets Couch Play - big + in the sense that ones is good for new players to learn from friends nice for the kids
    Battle Royale Comes To NHL – Kind Of - another name for a small tourney, who cares?

What’s Not In NHL 20? - HUGE - ............HUGE!!!!!

EA-Sports - its in the menus! Matchmaking is horrendous
    Passing - the amount of error applied is way to big for even a NHL 4th liner
    Unresponsive game throughout. Any game should be fine on 200 ping. This, often unplayable at 8ms.
    Non- hits -pickups -passes -chops....
    Fragmented player base. Spreading the few players this game have on so many minor game modes is bad. EASHL 6s needs in game mechanics that help you get full teams. "free-agent" lists to recruit from, both just for one game AND for finding ppl to play on your club.
    Reconnecting to club games at least
    Give ppl extra xp if they accept to come in to a already started drop-in. Many ppl quit after one goal.
    Menus are plain silly, how deep do you have to go for a simple option? Most ppl have 48 to 80" screens, maybe put some more info/settings on every page. And have to press a modifier is not the way to change screen!
    How about changing tactics in the intermissions?
    How about triggering your timeout for next whistle?
    How about you set your EASHL clubs tactics, ones and for all in club settings.
    I want to change my button layout. Most custom controllers let you do that, and also the PS4 settings have the ability. Knowing this, they still copy the command, not move it. Lets say I want to move L3, (down on the left stick) to a backplate button on a good controller, I want L3 to be nothing.

Lots of good ideas from the religious NHL-fans out there, all you need to do EA, is to listen, and make a priority list of all the good ones. Then work through it all with no bugs or stability issues- easy?

From Sweden with some hard love,

FURY-69-.png
  • Just preordered the $130 Canadian version. Can't locate the preorder reward tho. Love the game within the game, building a team of ovr 99 from nothing with no additional cash.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    My take on "new" features from
    https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/06/19/breaking-down-the-16-biggest-changes-coming-to-nhl-20

Contextual Shot Animations Unleash The Snipers - If it means that we miss the puck less, big +
    Goalies Get Some Love - If it mean that goalies can deflect shots in to the corners, and saves passes, big +
    Puck Pickups Get Another Pass - If it mean that my family can sleep at night, when I don't scream in fury, big +
    Revamped Broadcasting Package Includes New Commentators - cosmetic, but if the clock is less in the way - small +
    NHL 20 Finally Adds A Trade Finder! - big + (Now let us search players based on several stats.)
    Ones Gets Couch Play - big + in the sense that ones is good for new players to learn from friends nice for the kids
    Battle Royale Comes To NHL – Kind Of - another name for a small tourney, who cares?

Unresponsive game throughout. Any game should be fine on 200 ping. This, often unplayable at 8ms.
    Fragmented player base. Spreading the few players this game have on so many minor game modes is bad. EASHL 6s needs in game mechanics that help you get full teams. "free-agent" lists to recruit from, both just for one game AND for finding ppl to play on your club.
    Give ppl extra xp if they accept to come in to a already started drop-in. Many ppl quit after one goal.
    Menus are plain silly, how deep do you have to go for a simple option? Most ppl have 48 to 80" screens, maybe put some more info/settings on every page. And have to press a modifier is not the way to change screen!
    I want to change my button layout. Most custom controllers let you do that, and also the PS4 settings have the ability. Knowing this, they still copy the command, not move it. Lets say I want to move L3, (down on the left stick) to a backplate button on a good controller, I want L3 to be nothing.

Lots of good ideas from the religious NHL-fans out there, all you need to do EA, is to listen, and make a priority list of all the good ones. Then work through it all with no bugs or stability issues- easy?

Any game should be fine on 200 ping? It's unplayable at 8ms? I most frequently play around 40ms and it's fine. when you get to 100 is when you really start seeing serious issues.

Passing is fine as well. If your passes aren't going where you think you're aiming, try turning up your aim assist. Then again, if you're having connection troubles, it could be related to that.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    OR you can try turning pass assist way down, currently I have it at 30%, and I kinda like it. It' didn't take long to adapt. I tried 0% too, but that didn't feel as good.

Passing is mostly fine for me at 30%, you get the odd miss (as you did with 100%), but it's more about you making an input error than the game reading you wrong... or maybe pass assist is just a placebo anyways...?
  • Huh.
    I also saw the hype, etc. (Negative) about the Battle Royale buzzwords and assumed one more mode for online glitchers to get out ahead of their teambuild on me with.

But actually having experienced Squad Battles in Fifa19, I, no joke, actually enjoy that part of the game. But *ONLY* if like in Fifa you get to choose your competitive level and your potential rewards are adjusted likewise. (Meaning if I have to play 99s with my 87s, at least let me do it on Rookie and get a couple coins.)
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    OR you can try turning pass assist way down, currently I have it at 30%, and I kinda like it. It' didn't take long to adapt. I tried 0% too, but that didn't feel as good.

Passing is mostly fine for me at 30%, you get the odd miss (as you did with 100%), but it's more about you making an input error than the game reading you wrong... or maybe pass assist is just a placebo anyways...?

I usually have my pass-assist on 40%, lower it to 25% now.
    Played a few days, it feel fairly good. But thinking of it more, I think its when you get negative momentum, your passes, get like an added error that give the pass a random feel to it, so the puck goes anywhere, and I get really angry.

I'm pretty good with the saucers, and there, the passes always goes where I aim, (unless its on an American server). So its mainly regular passes, that feels so unrealistically bad.
    And I also see why my passes go awry when I'm under pressure.
    Still, fix it.

An idea, remove the momentum swings completely from EASHL clubs. Keep it on the offline modes.
    FURY-69-.png
  • CoolFin20
    34 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Tl;dr warning (a novel about straight passes)

I get that much of this conversation is about Online Play and specifically EASHL. I try to avoid Online in NHL19 when I can and can't speak to EASHL much at all.

But, with all due respect, the notion that all passes gone awry is attributed to "input error" is just crazy.

(Edited by me for being way too long)
    Post edited by CoolFin20 on
  • goBruinsslow
    2 posts New member
    We need to have a offline story mode in the NHL game series like EA has done in Fifa NBA and NFL. If they are getting rid of NBC they should have SN,CBC,TSN and USA and have them on the team they would broadcast in real life. When you make a player you should be able to scan your face/head so it looks like you like in there game NBA series. EA should have a woman's League (NWHL) it would probably help get more people playing and they would make more money. Adding more songs than 12 would make the game better especially if you are playing the game all year and the songs should update when the roster updates. And Seattle should be recognized since they are coming in the 20/21 season and you should be able to go in to the games NBA,Fifa and NFL from the NHL game if you have bought those other games. You should be able to pick what year you want to be the GM in that game mode. In be a pro you should be able to choose if you want to be player that is all ready playing in the NHL or make a player to play.

• Where did I say that? I said "it was an attempt to bring in new players."
    Fair enough. Then explain how adding a boring, silent, clown costume, pond version of drop-ins in an NHL game is somehow going to bring in NEW players to an NHL game? What, there's this huge pool of gamers out there that were screaming for Arcade Pond Hockey? In a game with "NHL" in the title?

oh? Although there's no question the population of online modes has declined, can you point to any evidence that the decline was directly related to OTP being set outside as opposed to indoors?
    This is the type of things we've been hearing from EA for so many years. "There's no evidence that ... blah blah blah". You're probably right though. That isn't the main reason, but it certainly didn't help. Probably, the biggest reason is that there are way too many mediocre modes instead of a handful of great modes. Online players are spread too thin, there are too many lag issues, etc., and people lose interest and play other games instead.
    I do consider the absence of any ability to change the venue for an OTP game a huge oversight.
    I agree with this.
  • Fair enough. Then explain how adding a boring, silent, clown costume, pond version of drop-ins in an NHL game is somehow going to bring in NEW players to an NHL game? What, there's this huge pool of gamers out there that were screaming for Arcade Pond Hockey? In a game with "NHL" in the title?

Regardless of how you feel about the environment that EA chose to lock us in to for OTP games, the gameplay itself is not 'Arcdade Pond Hockey'. I believe the settings are the same as any other EASHL game.

Although nobody clamored specifically for 'clown costumes' (of which, I have yet to actually see....) the ability to have customization was absolutely in the top 5 of all wish lists.

Creativity will always shine through when you allow customization. People are creative. What you see as a 'clown costume' is just someone expression their creativity through the means in which the game allows.

Although some choices for customization make our eyes roll, I really don't think it should be continued to be referred to as 'clown costumes'. It's just customization.
    This is the type of things we've been hearing from EA for so many years. "There's no evidence that ... blah blah blah". You're probably right though. That isn't the main reason, but it certainly didn't help. Probably, the biggest reason is that there are way too many mediocre modes instead of a handful of great modes. Online players are spread too thin, there are too many lag issues, etc., and people lose interest and play other games instead.

I definitely agree that latency and DRE's have plagued all online modes, specifically EASHL, for a few years now. There's no question those reasons are major contributors to the decline of returning players to those modes. However, I don't believe the outdoor arena should be considered one of those factors.

It got stale quickly for sure, but it never really impacted game-play.
  • goBruinsslow
    2 posts New member
    EA needs to step up there game

I hear you on that, but one thing I think we should be looking for as well. As a fan of the last game( and I still am) it was still very much incomplete with the legends and alumni. As I’ve said in previous posts I’ve made there may be more legends or what the term they’ve used now icons, I’m an offline player. This has been a big time complaint that myself and other players have made about them not being used in the player moves option. With the new features they have stated, the shooting animations, the new goalie saves, all of it, they now have to right the wrong and put these legends and alumni or icons which they are calling them now into roster moves. Then this will be a complete game for us to play.

Amen +1
  • Follisimo
    1090 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Via EA NHL Twitter.

We've heard your feedback, and reworked our passing and pickup mechanics with a focus on creating more control allowing you to seamlessly move up and down the ice without breaking a stride.

Learn more about our Gameplay improvements July 16th. #NHL20

[EA_Roger - adding in tweet for context]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on

• Follisimo wrote: »
    Via EA NHL Twitter.

We've heard your feedback, and reworked our passing and pickup mechanics with a focus on creating more control allowing you to seamlessly move up and down the ice without breaking a stride.

Very interesting! I bet there's quite a few gameplay changes like this that just weren't shown in the trailer because there's just too much to unpack
    Via EA NHL Twitter.

I hope, I hope more for non tape-to-tape passing system is back now, right?
    The nhl19 has the best passing system at this series (offline modes).
    Yes, still it is not enough if puck physics has still is not so good as in live.

Every year if any developer wrote this about "reworked passes, reworked goalies, reworked shots, reworked cutscenes...." I am very fear about this message.

I understand this system is absolutely different if you play any Online lobby match from Offline matches. I worked very hard for create the FinalGoldenSliders(offline modes usable only). Passes mechanism are the main stones of this set with the speed 5 together. If you change anything, do broke this fantastic gameplay.
    EA changed tuner 1.02 to 1.04. Tuner 1.04 is not so good as 1.02. Why? Why is there absolutely different gameplay? Who cares. Ok I can switch this how easy. EA doing this for players so good.

If any product is reworked, you must do rework bad and good goods together. It is a huge scream.
    Please do rework puck physics, please do rework face-off, please do rework big jump after tripping foul is made. But passes?

Via EA NHL Twitter.

Very interesting. I thought passing was in a good place especially with the slider. Very curious about the puck pick ups.
    Via EA NHL Twitter.

i read about this in that preview article that was linked and pulled the trigger on my pre-order.

if i understand this correctly i think i can benefit from it. i'm a below average player and i have the habit of keeping my thumb on the left stick and moving my guy out of possition to recieve a pass or a pickup and really had no idea that i had to release it. same with shooting. i think i noticed that i need to release the LS before i go into my shooting motion for better aim. i still have a ton of fake shot actions because i'm not always going straight up with my RS and fail to release my shot.

i was going to buy 20 regardless of what was coming. i'm still a fan of the real sport and think it makes the best video game to play but i'm going to give FIFA more play this season. i also picked up Madden 20. i was a 2K player in the Sega days and this will be my 1st Madden so i can get upset at something new this season.

i only play the UTs and 19 was set up nice to get a daily collectable and complete some tasks to earn coins and collectables and hope to see this continue. i do hope for a schedule release on the HUT events and getting more of them. i get that the season is over but the FA event ran for several weeks and we only got 8 challenges. AGAIN the daily challenges should be daily and this includes the weekends. if EA needs to drop 3 on a Friday then DO IT!

i get not having a lot of options with the online modes but the option for 1 or 2 minute periods vs the Team of the Week and that draft mode would be huge in my book. the CPU challenges are all i really do but if there was a way to match skill level with online play i'd give it more time.

and of course i'll be taking PTO on all the early realease drop days for the games starting with Madden in a couple weeks. see you there!!
  • I didn't think passing and puck pickup mechanics were a problem in Arcade Pond Hockey 19. EA saying they've improved something that wasn't a major problem in the last version probably means that it's going to go back to being a mess like in 18'.