EA Forums - Banner

NHL® 20 FEATURES OVERVIEW

Replies

• That video was very impressive. I'm all about the animation systems and really like how NHL 20 handles receiving and shooting depending on player direction and balance.

If EA can do something about incidental bumps making it impossible to shoot the puck, and show us how defensive controls work better, then I'm sold.
  • that's better than what i saw last night.

nice job, EA.

when do we get that beta??
  • I always keep my expectations low when it comes to EA Vancouver. They aren't always to blame directly, the NHL series does not get the same sales as NBA or Fifa or MLB The Show does. That means they have less of a budget to work with.

That said, we were told back in September that EA had moved a bunch of developers who had been working on games like UFC to the NHL game, that would make us all think that something big would be coming for NHL 20. Somebody help me out here because I just don't see what that big new thing is?

Overall the small changes like new pass pickups, the new shooting matched to stars, the changes in animations, the goalie "intelligence" change, those are great. I just don't see how that is $90.00 great.

It's like EA Vancouver doesn't realize that a big chunk of their customers do not even bother with the online modes so to see such pandering to them each and every year is ridiculous. And I can't believe after reading this thread, there are actually clowns in the game? WTH!

Battle Royale sounds really lame for a hockey game, but maybe the kids who play it will enjoy it. Still makes me think what is going on with all those extra resources dedicated to EA NHL? I think the one thing we can hope for is they have been given dev kits for the next consoles and are getting ahead of the curve by working on either Frostbite or a different engine than what we're getting every year right now.

Ultimately, as I said above I don't expect much from EA Vancouver each year, they've disappointed me many times over the years but adding in the coaches is the main thing I wanted for NHL 20, changing line chemistry and that type of thing is also something I'm looking forward to seeing.

For people who don't play Franchise or care about battle royale, what purpose do they have to fork out another $90 for this year's game? I just don't see what major changes there are here.
  • Bluffer518 wrote: »
    I always keep my expectations low when it comes to EA Vancouver. They aren't always to blame directly, the NHL series does not get the same sales as NBA or Fifa or MLB The Show does. That means they have less of a budget to work with.

That said, we were told back in September that EA had moved a bunch of developers who had been working on games like UFC to the NHL game, that would make us all think that something big would be coming for NHL 20. Somebody help me out here because I just don't see what that big new thing is?

Overall the small changes like new pass pickups, the new shooting matched to stars, the changes in animations, the goalie "intelligence" change, those are great. I just don't see how that is $90.00 great.

It's like EA Vancouver doesn't realize that a big chunk of their customers do not even bother with the online modes so to see such pandering to them each and every year is ridiculous. And I can't believe after reading this thread, there are actually clowns in the game? WTH!

Battle Royale sounds really lame for a hockey game, but maybe the kids who play it will enjoy it. Still makes me think what is going on with all those extra resources dedicated to EA NHL? I think the one thing we can hope for is they have been given dev kits for the next consoles and are getting ahead of the curve by working on either Frostbite or a different engine than what we're getting every year right now.

Ultimately, as I said above I don't expect much from EA Vancouver each year, they've disappointed me many times over the years but adding in the coaches is the main thing I wanted for NHL 20, changing line chemistry and that type of thing is also something I'm looking forward to seeing.

For people who don't play Franchise or care about battle royale, what purpose do they have to fork out another $90 for this year's game? I just don't see what major changes there are here.

The added devs are for the next gen console jump. They don't want another NHL 15 debacle in the next couple of years (or next year, who knows)

These new animations, pass pickups, goalie intelligence, etc. are changes that will affect each and every game, in every mode. I want on ice changes. I don't care for offline so for me, these changes are good.

Battle Royale is not what it sounds like. It is actually called Eliminator which is a tournament with something like 81 players in it.

You say added coaches is the main thing you wanted and line chemistry is also something you are looking forward to. So, if your main thing you wanted is added, why the page long rant about how you are always let down?

And no, there are no clowns in the game. Read carefully and you will understand the "clown" term.
    I always keep my expectations low when it comes to EA Vancouver. They aren't always to blame directly, the NHL series does not get the same sales as NBA or Fifa or MLB The Show does. That means they have less of a budget to work with.

I and every NHL player on my friends list basically exclusively play online modes so I don’t know where your stats come from
  • MaxPac67
    150 posts Member
    Jonogunn wrote: »
    Bluffer518 wrote: »

I and every NHL player on my friends list basically exclusively play online modes so I don’t know where your stats come from

How old are you and your friends? ;)
  • MaxPac67 wrote: »

I hope you arent trying to bait out an argument where older people want offline. Me and my group of about 15 gaming buddies are 25-40 and we play exclusively EASHL.

I get people want more offline stuff. But online games have a much higher replayability factor. I sunk hours into offline games until I beat them and then never fired up those games again. Meanwhile I have racked up literally days worth of hours of online play. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat. It's a hard truth, but online is more valuable to invest resources in compared to offline/single player/ campaign modes.

And age has absolute zero to do with it.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1664 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    MaxPac67 wrote: »

I hope you arent trying to bait out an argument where older people want offline. Me and my group of about 15 gaming buddies are 25-40 and we play exclusively EASHL.

I get people want more offline stuff. But online games have a much higher replayability factor. I sunk hours into offline games until I beat them and then never fired up those games again. Meanwhile I have racked up literally days worth of hours of online play. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat. It's a hard truth, but online is more valuable to invest resources in compared to offline/single player/ campaign modes.

Not to mention that offline modes for sports games aren't really that popular. Sure, they are popular - don't get me wrong - but when compared to the populations of online modes, it makes sense that EA continues to develop and flesh out online modes.

That being said, offline modes deserve love too. In a perfect world, there would be some kind of symmetry between the offline and online modes to keep them both populated and interesting.
  • > @WainGretSki said:
    So, if your main thing you wanted is added, why the page long rant about how you are always let down?
    >

Because I keep my expectations low. I could think of many other positve changes to both Franchise Mode and online but they will happen only over a period of 5 or so years it seems.
  • offline*
    > @WainGretSki said:
    So, if your main thing you wanted is added, why the page long rant about how you are always let down?
    >

Because I keep my expectations low. I could think of many other positve changes to both Franchise Mode and online but they will happen only over a period of 5 or so years it seems.

Fair enough.
  • MaxPac67 wrote: »

Agree.
    I'm 49, I play online.
    If passing and pickups are fixed with lag, then Its a huge step forward.
    But my expectations are in a bottomless pit of utter despair. After NHL 15 I have no respect at all for anything EA does.

This Ben character seams to be trying to fix this joke of a game though. Go Ben GO!
    EA-sports, its in the menus!
    FURY-69-.png
  • Douglas759
    1 posts New member
    Anyone else notice it says St. Louis MI (Michigan) and not MO (Missouri) in the presentation graphic?
  • SaydaNeen
    47 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    But my expectations are in a bottomless pit of utter despair. After NHL 15 I have no respect at all for anything EA does.

So, revamping the entire engine last year and improving what they couldn't finish this year while adding game modes, scouting in Franchise revamped, adding CHEL and those game modes and all the cosmetics is still not enough?
    Not sure what this community is expecting...

• SaydaNeen wrote: »

So, revamping the entire engine last year and improving what they couldn't finish this year while adding game modes, scouting in Franchise revamped, adding CHEL and those game modes and all the cosmetics is still not enough?

I expect a fully working game on launch day as advertised. Is that too much to expect?
  • SaydaNeen wrote: »

We expect game-play improvements.
    Like a real physics engine.

Think if you have a FPS-game where you shooting a guy in the head with a .50 cal (BMG). But a millisecond before your perfect kill, another player shoot him in the hand with a .22 (LR). The result being he get injured by the bee sting, while you devastating hit does not register -at all.

- How would you feel?

Fixing shooting, puck pick-ups, passing and goalies, are as important ofc.
    FURY-69-.png
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    flyextacy wrote: »
    SaydaNeen wrote: »

I expect a fully working game on launch day as advertised. Is that too much to expect?

I also expect game breaking issues to be fixed the same year, and not have to wait for the following year.

Examples?

NHL 16 human goalies would regularly turn and face their own net randomly. Wasn't fixed all year but was fixed for 17.

NHL 17 goalies pads were not flush to the ice therefore pucks went under them. Was partially fixed in 18, but was also present in 18 although not as bad or frequently. These last 2 examples I would expect a fix within 2-3 weeks.

NHL 19 Dressing room errors and LT abusing. Not fixed this year.

There are other examples but I think this captures the meaning.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    SaydaNeen wrote: »

I also expect game breaking issues to be fixed the same year, and not have to wait for the following year.

Examples?

NHL 16 human goalies would regularly turn and face their own net randomly. Wasn't fixed all year but was fixed for 17.

NHL 17 goalies pads were not flush to the ice therefore pucks went under them. Was partially fixed in 18, but was also present in 18 although not as bad or frequently. These last 2 examples I would expect a fix within 2-3 weeks.

NHL 19 Dressing room errors and LT abusing. Not fixed this year.

There are other examples but I think this captures the meaning.

Let's not forget the looping and desynch glitches that were prevalent each year before finally fixed in 19.

I think the dev team has done a pretty solid job expanding the game since its next gen jump in 15, but they also deserve the flack for reoccurring problems that dont get addressed.

The real question is will the next gen jump be another "built from the ground up" situation where we get a bare bones game in which each year following they introduce a previous game mode as new.
  • Just like EA this franchise has become a joke. They haven't created a solid hockey game in years. NHL19 was a disaster from every angle you look at. Even when you give a criticism where its disereved you are immediately labeled a "hater" by EA because they want to try and make the world think they make the best games. NHL2k10, released 10 years prior, had more creativity and better gameplay then what EA has put into their current garbage. Nah, i am good, thanks. I'll skip this year from buying it as well, and get it either for free or not get it at all. It's time to stop giving money to this company if we want change, because I wont be surprised if NHL20 is just another years release with some features being put back into the game they call "new".
  • savatagion24
    137 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    In regards to the whole online vs. offline thing, I would like to have both. I used to play EASHL most of the time and it was fun, but the last few years all of my clubmates got sick of it after a month because players are spread out too thin amongst too many modes and it's too hard to find a game, and then when you do, there's at least a 50% chance that the lag monster ruins the experience. So, after it became more and more difficult to get clubmates online, I reverted to drop-ins, which also used to be fine, until the silent, boring arcade pond hockey was introduced in NHL 19. I now have no desire to play online and unfortunately, the offline modes haven't been improved for years and they're just boring grinds. It's a shame because hockey is my favorite thing, but I would much rather play other games both online and offline, and I haven't seen anything in any of the trailers or news that makes me even want to spend a cent on NHL 20.