EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

A.I needs improvement

I really hope the A.I gets worked on in NHL 20. In NHL 19 they don’t even know how to enter the offensive zone, they either dangle or cut right before entering 80% of the time causing offsides and slowing the rush down. Why doesn’t the A.I ever really hold the line in the offensive zone? Especially on the PP. Its a killer when the other team dumps it along the boards about knee high on the penalty kill and your defence man is already in the neutral zone. All that does is help the other team kill time. The A.I doesn’t know how to break free of defenders anymore, hell they can’t even skate the puck from behind their own net without running into the goalie.

Please EA. These are the small things that make everyone frustrated. You never fix them even though they were never in the game a year ago. This is getting so old.

Replies

• Kuus2
    205 posts Member
    I just want AI to not get stuck on other players. Looks dumb when they try to skate through opponents.
  • Socair
    1759 posts Game Changer
    Just removed a couple of posts that were not adding to discussion on A.I
    Please be constructive and on topic.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Pazonator
    17 posts Member
    edited July 3
    Defensemen in EASHL skating behind their own net after a dump in and turning into the goalie and causing havoc every time because the goalie reaches out for the puck. To me it looks like just the pivot has to go away from the net and away from the goalie.
  • What annoys me about the Ai in EASHL is when they can’t decided if they want to carry or shoot the puck into the zone. They twitch for a few seconds and bring it offside.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What annoys me about the Ai in EASHL is when they can’t decided if they want to carry or shoot the puck into the zone. They twitch for a few seconds and bring it offside.

Hmm but maybe that can be fixed with a better breakout no? Behind the net play that I mentioned has been in the game for the last few years. And it happens when the AI isn’t even pressured. They just turn right into the goalie

• EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    What annoys me about the Ai in EASHL is when they can’t decided if they want to carry or shoot the puck into the zone. They twitch for a few seconds and bring it offside.

This is typically because the A.I. is anticipating where a human controlled player will be in order to pass but if the human is taking an obstructed path through the neutral zone, the A.I. will wait until there's a clear path.

Get open for your A.I. and ensure you have an open passing lane and they will pass to you 99% of the time.
  • Pazonator wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

Hmm but maybe that can be fixed with a better breakout no? Behind the net play that I mentioned has been in the game for the last few years. And it happens when the AI isn’t even pressured. They just turn right into the goalie

The offside twitch doesn’t get solved with breakouts. It’s just simply horrible programming and ea not caring about their game enough to fix it. Exact same can be said about when they lose the puck to their own goalie. Bad programming, very simple fix but they don’t care enough to take a day to fix that huge problem.

The offside twitch doesn’t get solved with breakouts. It’s just simply horrible programming and ea not caring about their game enough to fix it. Exact same can be said about when they lose the puck to their own goalie. Bad programming, very simple fix but they don’t care enough to take a day to fix that huge problem.

I agree. My teammate who I have been playing eashl since 09 wonder how it goes unfixed every year it just boggles our minds because it is such a game breaking bug
    Pazonator wrote: »

I agree. My teammate who I have been playing eashl since 09 wonder how it goes unfixed every year it just boggles our minds because it is such a game breaking bug

Same here, it’s gotten to the point we don’t want to play anymore because after searching for 10 minutes, it just feels like we’re playing against our ai and the dumb stuff they get into. Been the same for a few years with NHL 19 being the worst by far.
  • Follisimo
    729 posts Member
    Offensive AI needs worked on. Defensive AI shouldn't be changed at all. If the defensive AI got improved it just means more skill zoning will happen and that doesn't make for even the slightest bit of a fun game
  • The AI really needs an upgrade in their awareness. It really really disappointed me to hear their AI isn’t getting an upgrade in NHL 20. The way it stands currently they are out their looking like Atom players at their best.
    They don’t make any effort to hold the line on dump outs on the power play, they let it come to them in the neutral zone even though it was knee high the whole time and they could’ve kept it in the zone. That one really frustrates me. They don’t make quick passes out of the zone, the skate super slow through the neutral zone, and deke right at the line pointlessly causing offsides or stopping the chances.

I don’t want to get into their shot choices on breakaways right now. Honestly the AI used to be so good but it’s probably my biggest problem in 19 and even 18 now that I think of it.
  • I saw very interest thing. It was bug when 1 player was stay at the offense zone. He was without any move. Yes, bug it is not nothing new...but after this moment play was do continue without interuption!. CPU players played hockey in own zone, yeah cycling the puck at the defense zone. It was first time I saw this great play! It was thanks this bug.
    There is a potential how cpu logic can be better I think. Huge potential.
  • Oslik1000 wrote: »
    There is a potential how cpu logic can be better I think. Huge potential.

There definitely is potential, as I said the ai used to be really good and never used to always default to a dump around the boards play. But yet they’ve dumbed the ai down so much they can’t tell when they have an empty net, so on defence they still give up the neutral zone up and let a free shot on the open net.

• I think. We need setup sliders for different zone. There is only one AI slider adaptibility. If EA do add slider AI offense, AI deffense, AI midle zone, AI Powerplay, AI PK separately it can be helpful for changing the game.