EA Forums - Banner

Non playing faceoff win

If the player is afking, how does the non controlling team win a faceoff? I just don’t get it, I set the controller down and I’m winning faceoffs. Keep up the great work EA lol

Replies

• Could be someone who doesn't know how to take a faceoff, and because they did it wrong, and you just didn't do anything, you won?

Why are you afk watching the game play any way?

Sounds like you being afk but not being booted is the bigger problem.
  • mikeq67
    123 posts Member
    Could be someone who doesn't know how to take a faceoff, and because they did it wrong, and you just didn't do anything, you won?

Why are you afk watching the game play any way?

Sounds like you being afk but not being booted is the bigger problem.

Doesnt matter, youre missing the point. Someone who literally stood still and didnt do anything shouldnt be winning a faceoff clean back, and Ive seen it happen numerous times. Its completely illogical, which makes it par for the course.
  • This happened in previous games as well. I dont remember if it was last year or the year before but I talked with a support rep about it. They said if one person is struggling, the computer will help them out.
  • Fatboyee
    83 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    This is exactly what I have mentioned as something that shouldn't happen. I've put my controller down to grab a bite of food, knowing i'm conceding a face off win to an opponent. only to look up as I cleanly win the faceoff with a fork in one hand and the controller next to me. That should NEVER happen!

This also did happen in last years game.
  • There's basically no acceptable reason this occurs. Faceoffs should be fully in the players control.
  • LOD78
    1 posts New member
    I had a user exploit this in an LG game yesterday, he used it 75% or more of the game, winning 90% of those attempts. Is this a glitch? What's the counter?
  • LOD78 wrote: »
    I had a user exploit this in an LG game yesterday, he used it 75% or more of the game, winning 90% of those attempts. Is this a glitch? What's the counter?

Put your controller down.
    How do you know he wasn't doing anything? If someone is doing nothing, there's zero reason you should be losing. Unless you're also doing nothing?
  • You would see the other player attempting to win the faceoff. It would be really odd if nobody attempted to win as well.
  • Fatboyee wrote: »
    You would see the other player attempting to win the faceoff. It would be really odd if nobody attempted to win as well.

I guess you're able to see the other players controller from where you sit. That's some super power. There's such a thing as choosing no stance, but still attempting a faceoff.
  • It probably happens when both players are not pressing anything. I've never seen the puck drop clean to the ice and just sit there. So if both players are afk it likely randomly gives the face off win to one side or the other with an animation.

Are you talking about the opponent not setting forehand/backhand before the drop?
    EASHL player
  • NHLDev
    1669 posts EA NHL Developer
    There are different opinions on this from a realism perspective but this was added for game mechanic purposes to stop people from being able to spam since we didn't want to slow online games down with kicking players out of the faceoff circles (and because players online would potentially abuse this to extend games). In discussions with players, it was deemed that a player who is late but trying to do things properly shouldn't lose to a spammer trying to abuse the system.

So if you jump early, you have lost the faceoff unless the other player jumps early as well. Once the other player jumps early, they have conceded the faceoff and you will either get an auto draw win, or can manually decide where it goes. You are better to manually do it so you have more control than the generic win.

If the other player didn't jump early and performed any faceoff draw properly, they would win the draw against an AFK player every time.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    There are different opinions on this from a realism perspective but this was added for game mechanic purposes to stop people from being able to spam since we didn't want to slow online games down with kicking players out of the faceoff circles (and because players online would potentially abuse this to extend games). In discussions with players, it was deemed that a player who is late but trying to do things properly shouldn't lose to a spammer trying to abuse the system.

So if you jump early, you have lost the faceoff unless the other player jumps early as well. Once the other player jumps early, they have conceded the faceoff and you will either get an auto draw win, or can manually decide where it goes. You are better to manually do it so you have more control than the generic win.

If the other player didn't jump early and performed any faceoff draw properly, they would win the draw against an AFK player every time.

Have to agree based on the explanation. Certainly don't want games extended more than they are.
  • Dixonyu
    675 posts Member
    Here's the real question of faceoffs, that I can garuntee EA will not answer ...

When taking faceoffs with the computer, How can a guy with a 60 faceoff rating outskill a guy with a 99 , I do a stick lift he does a forehand sweep, or I stick lift his tie up, and I get outskilled or lose a toss up ... I believe it's because the AI can operate outside of the game rules and manipulate the game to its favor ...

Human v human I generally chalk it up as lag , but it's funny because sometimes the game only seems to let you consistently win one type of faceoff, I can't forehand sweep the backhand straight back, but I can consistently tie up ... How the hell does that work ???

Faceoffs are broken ...