EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Face off improvements?

I really believe the face offs need improvement in NHL 20. There’s one faceoff that has a counter that works 95% of the time against it, so forehand win is pretty much unusable right off the bat. Then you have the tie ups, specifically one where the winger gets it but doesn’t control it then it goes to the other teams defenceman, even though you won the face off, and since you can’t choose which tie up to engage in, that makes using tie ups unreliable at times, especially if there’s no ai in the game and the wingers don’t know there’s a tie up. There should be a way as a centre to signal you’re doing a tie up and it’ll show to your wingers or something. Maybe give your overpowered slight puck warping to stick animation to make sure the right teams wingers come out with the puck? I get that there’s supposed to be realism in the form of faceoff battles and the losing team can still come away with possession, but the way it happens, when you cleanly win a faceoff and your winger just loses the puck out of nowhere, it’s extremely frustrating.

Replies

• How about getting kicked out of faceoff's, 2K had it.
  • How about getting kicked out of faceoff's, 2K had it.

That would be an awesome feature to see as well, you’re too early too many times and a winger comes in who has a worse face off skill, making it harder to win not impossible to win if you’re too early.

• They need to fix wingers being able to bolt straight to to defensemen after their center lost the face off. But the time my center wins to it to me, the winger is already on top of me and I don’t have anything to do with it.

It’s been an issue for years that needs addressing
  • Oslik1000
    141 posts Member
    How about getting kicked out of faceoff's, 2K had it.

Kicked out of faceoff is not at the iihf rule this time. From the world of hockey championship 2019 iihf there is only warning for cheating player.
  • Follisimo
    729 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    They need to fix wingers being able to bolt straight to to defensemen after their center lost the face off. But the time my center wins to it to me, the winger is already on top of me and I don’t have anything to do with it.

I've said it before. Whenever they revamp the face-off system to something actually good then they need to have bad draw wins, average ones, and perfect ones. Timing should be the key on winning many of these face-offs.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    They need to fix wingers being able to bolt straight to to defensemen after their center lost the face off. But the time my center wins to it to me, the winger is already on top of me and I don’t have anything to do with it.

I've said it before. Whenever they revamp the face-off system to something actually good then they need to have bad draw wins, average ones, and perfect ones. Timing should be the key on winning many of these face-offs.

Timing definitely should be key, but it just feels like Rock Paper Scissors most of the time to be honest.
  • We need more more random bounces from the sticks after face-off. The puck must be more free for get it. Players are in the little move directly for the puck in real.

• jrago73
    252 posts Member
    Follisimo wrote: »

Timing definitely should be key, but it just feels like Rock Paper Scissors most of the time to be honest.

The way it is now its more like rock rock scissors.
  • jrago73 wrote: »

I love that haha. You’re not wrong that’s why I think it needs improving, timing should be almost everything when it comes to the draws. Even though that’s not the case in real life, they should accept they won’t get it exactly like real life in every aspect.
  • The problem with leaning too far towards timing is that faceoffs stop being about out-thinking the other guy and becomes more about who has the better connection.

Last-gen there were some games where I would need to start my movement before the ref moved otherwise I'd have no chance at winning a draw. Basically I'd have to be psychic to win a draw. And I have a good connection to the servers.

The current setup is less connection sensitive and rewards the better player.
  • jrago73 wrote: »

I love that haha. You’re not wrong that’s why I think it needs improving, timing should be almost everything when it comes to the draws. Even though that’s not the case in real life, they should accept they won’t get it exactly like real life in every aspect.

How about a rule where you don't get to win any faceoffs anywhere under any circumstances until you use the official title of the game commonly referred to as "Rock, Paper, Scissors?"

I would greatly enjoy this as I either win or tie my opponent every time but it would likely take less than a day for most players to have the answer spoiled for them by a big streamer (or a simple Googling lol)

I'd kind of want to plug our Stanford and UofBC Game Theory course most any of you could sign up for that discusses these types of things and include links, etc. but something tells me that is against the rules that I did not read when I signed up here back in December - lol. (Also if merely mentioning it is also a no-no, please just remove it from this post, I meant no harm. :smile: )
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

Agreed so much. So so much. Agree 10000000000000 times.
  • Since we got this defensive skill stick, they should add face off skill stick. Just drop the puck and let the physics and sticks choose how it goes instead off built-in animations.
  • it would be nice to put the puck in a few different directions