EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Idea to help control AI defensive play

I think it is FIFA that gives the player a button that calls the closest AI to the ball carrier to attack him. I think this would be great in NHL. Far too many times I am backchecking the puck carrier blocking the inside lane and the AI D (even if put on aggressive) does not attack the puck carrier at the right time. I think a button that would force the AI to attack, hit or rub out the puck carrier would be a great addition. If I hit the button at the bad time then well...my fault.

Just a thought. Opinions?

Replies

• This is a good idea, but it could become a problem in EASHL with the trolls just pressing it to purposely get the AI to over commit and get out of position.
  • mikeq67
    98 posts Member
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    This is a good idea, but it could become a problem in EASHL with the trolls just pressing it to purposely get the AI to over commit and get out of position.

Disable it for drop ins. Simple. Problem solved.
  • WainGretSki
    2853 posts Member
    edited July 17
    mikeq67 wrote: »
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    This is a good idea, but it could become a problem in EASHL with the trolls just pressing it to purposely get the AI to over commit and get out of position.

Disable it for drop ins. Simple. Problem solved.

Not quite.

For HUT and VS the AI is very passive on D, and that is intentional. The will play their positions, but they won't play the body. This is to deter the skill zoners. Since you suggest to disable it in dropins, then the whole idea becomes moot except for offline modes.

In any case, I think boardplay needs a major overhaul before implementing this. Only 2 players can get involved in a pin. As long as the animations are playing out, no other player can get involved in any way whatsoever unless the puck becomes loose somehow. 4 man scrums are not rare at all in hockey. We should be able to plaster someone into the boards even if it will yield a penalty 100% of the time, or shove them away from the boards. The animation should be interruptible, imo.

Anyways, the point is, a massive overhaul is more than due.
  • Dixonyu
    649 posts Member
    You should have to attack the puck carrier, the AI should cover the pass ...

Players should be encouraged to defend the carrier and the AI should act accordingly ...

AI should be strong vs AI and weak vs players ... Vs players they should just do the simple things in 1 v 1 game modes , obviously in be a pro AI should be strong vs a human ...

• Ka1serSoz3
    53 posts Member
    edited July 19
    Dixonyu wrote: »
    You should have to attack the puck carrier, the AI should cover the pass ...

Players should be encouraged to defend the carrier and the AI should act accordingly ...

AI should be strong vs AI and weak vs players ... Vs players they should just do the simple things in 1 v 1 game modes , obviously in be a pro AI should be strong vs a human ...

Couldn’t agree more. That’s how it used to be, but a lot of whining was going on about it back then. So they made the AI much more aggressive than ever and now you don’t hear a peep. I guess you could say they did their job to appease the masses. Not for the betterment of the game though.

Having more active offensive AI coupled with less active defensive AI makes for better gameplay. As it is right now it’s more about knowing what the AI is going to do at what time.