EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

New Presentation

Replies

• SOG is nice, but during the playoffs how about what the series is at? 1-0 1-1 3-0 3-3? its minor but its authentic to real broadcast

I'd love to see this. And a shots on goal counter. But I'm not as concerned as others for a shots tracker. I'm interested in seeing what stats if any are displayed on the score bar. I'm hoping for shots, hits, penalty minutes, fact off wins, etc. Especially if it's within context of the game.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • SOG is nice, but during the playoffs how about what the series is at? 1-0 1-1 3-0 3-3? its minor but its authentic to real broadcast

I'd love to see this. And a shots on goal counter. But I'm not as concerned as others for a shots tracker. I'm interested in seeing what stats if any are displayed on the score bar. I'm hoping for shots, hits, penalty minutes, fact off wins, etc. Especially if it's within context of the game.

Actually what would be cool is if they displayed 3 stats at a time, and say every 10 seconds or so it rolls over to show 3 other stats at a time.

Actually what would be cool is if they displayed 3 stats at a time, and say every 10 seconds or so it rolls over to show 3 other stats at a time.

While that would be cool it isn't that practical. We're going to be playing the game. Not looking at the stats. Flashing some stats after the play is over would be far more practical. But let's see what it looks like before judging. We haven't really seen how the thing is even going to function. We can't get a feel for that until we get a chance to play the beta if they do one this year.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    SOG is nice, but during the playoffs how about what the series is at? 1-0 1-1 3-0 3-3? its minor but its authentic to real broadcast

While that would be cool it isn't that practical. We're going to be playing the game. Not looking at the stats. Flashing some stats after the play is over would be far more practical. But let's see what it looks like before judging. We haven't really seen how the thing is even going to function. We can't get a feel for that until we get a chance to play the beta if they do one this year.

I don't understand the logic in your response. You want to see hits and whatnot, but then go and say we are playing the game,not looking at stats.

Am I missing something here?

I don't understand the logic in your response. You want to see hits and whatnot, but then go and say we are playing the game,not looking at stats.

I only want to see stats flash when it's after a stoppage in play. Before a face-off. If they flash stats during the game it could become a distraction. That's my logic. Sorry that I didn't articulate it well enough.
  • Oslik1000
    188 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    SOG is nice, but during the playoffs how about what the series is at? 1-0 1-1 3-0 3-3? its minor but its authentic to real broadcast

Sorry, I agree. Some flash or the changing text during the game can be bad.
    On otherhand if this option can be on/off optionable it can be fair.

I remember 2k games there was text at the botom line from right to the left runing. It was not so bad because it was only one line.

This is a simulator of hockey. This is a strategic game. We need some information immediately on live.
    Saves counter, hits counter, %passes counter, how players are feel at the moment (some change the colour at the lines column can be good)
    You need this if you want change your mind, do change your strategy live!

Do you remember hot & cold ? It was fantastic idea. I want this back.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited July 2019

I only want to see stats flash when it's after a stoppage in play. Before a face-off. If they flash stats during the game it could become a distraction. That's my logic. Sorry that I didn't articulate it well enough.

Now I see what you mean.

I do not see it at all as a distraction. It is like saying your RPM gauge and speedometer are a distraction in a racing game, or the map distracting in a GTA game.

Not to mention, it could be distracting during stoppages in play when you are trying to manage your lines.

To each their own though. I am no more right than you are. Matter of personal preference I guess.
    Post edited by WainGretSki on
  • MaxPac67
    140 posts Member
    Seeing the beta videos, that flickering during powerplays is really annoying.
  • New presentation and play by play is a LOT better than NBC. But the store clock is awful....who thought it would be a good idea to put it low on the screen and make it flicker during PPs?
  • I don't think I've disliked anything in an EANHL game as much as I dislike the score overlay in this game. The small size option needs to be at least half the size it is now. I have to turn it off when playing defense. Turned the announcers off after 10 mins.
  • barrett098 wrote: »
    New presentation and play by play is a LOT better than NBC. But the store clock is awful....who thought it would be a good idea to put it low on the screen and make it flicker during PPs?

Fully agree. Score clock is absolutely intrusive when playing D and I as well have been forced to turn it off. Put it at the top of the screen when playing D and put it at the bottom for the forwards. Also would like to adjust the opacity to the point where it is practically invisible. Sizes need to be adjusted as well. I thought small would be quite small, but it is actually kind of huge imo.

New commentator..... His play by plays by far better suit the game as any other year. His comments actually reflect what is happening on the ice. But his voice... omg. Too high pitched most of the time. Sometimes he gets super excited and for what? A breakout pass... Needs to tone it down a bit please. Gives it a whole 1998 arcade feel to it. Another thing I would want is for the commentators to actually feed off each other and build a rapport, just like any other televised hockey game. 20 is still severely lacking in that regard, as every other NHL game ever released. I guess it isn't easy to replicate in a game. I did however get what seemed like an attempt of a joke between the commentator and Ray. Appreciated the effort. This is still light years more interesting than NBC could ever offer. Glad that is behind me.

There are times where you hear the announcer, the commentator and Ray talking all together. Either volume adjustment needs to be revised, or decide who gets to talk and when...
  • Might be unpopular but I like the new commentary. He can be over eccentric but it has me more engaged.

The presentation is a real nice step forward. More immersive. There are some buggy moments like singling for over the glass way late of the whistle and weird replay angles.

I can see the scoreboard being weird for most users. I dont find it distracting to much, but I do find myself having a hard time seeing it. Maybe just not used to it yet. Would like the option to move it back to the top.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    Might be unpopular but I like the new commentary. He can be over eccentric but it has me more engaged.

The presentation is a real nice step forward. More immersive. There are some buggy moments like singling for over the glass way late of the whistle and weird replay angles.

I can see the scoreboard being weird for most users. I dont find it distracting to much, but I do find myself having a hard time seeing it. Maybe just not used to it yet. Would like the option to move it back to the top.

Commentary is more engaging, but not with that voice. It's like there's no presence or charisma in his voice.
  • MaxPac67
    140 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Just noticed there's still a NBCSN ad on the boards in the newest gameplay video. I thought the collaboration with NBC has ended...

Pretty nitpicky, but it bothers me a little that at centre ice there's only EA Sports and Adidas ads. Few years ago there was Tim Horton's, Gatorade, Honda and EA Sports (IIRC). Looked way more authentic. But I think EA just likes to take realistic things out of the game, same with goal songs.

Oh and yeah, having the score clock at the bottom is still terrible.
  • MaxPac67 wrote: »
    Just noticed there's still a NBCSN ad on the boards in the newest gameplay video. I thought the collaboration with NBC has ended...

Teams have national TV logos in the corner boards in real life so it's not entirely unrealistic. Would you rather that be a CBC logo instead? That would really be out of place if that happened.

Teams have national TV logos in the corner boards in real life so it's not entirely unrealistic. Would you rather that be a CBC logo instead? That would really be out of place if that happened.

And it would just be more money out of our pocket for them to pay for the advertisement, no thanks

And it would just be more money out of our pocket for them to pay for the advertisement, no thanks

I don’t know their Business, but maybe they saved a lot of money not to continue the contract with NBC and Olczyk. To pay Chybulski and Ferraro maybe way cheaper. So I would await that they took that saved money to develop the game much better than it was the years before. I doubt, but we will see soon.
  • Froommey wrote: »
    MaxPac67 wrote: »

I don’t know their Business, but maybe they saved a lot of money not to continue the contract with NBC and Olczyk. To pay Chybulski and Ferraro maybe way cheaper. So I would await that they took that saved money to develop the game much better than it was the years before. I doubt, but we will see soon.

With no competition they don't need to separate themselves by getting the licensing agreements for games like hockey or madden. FIFA is a different beast where there is competition from pro evolution so you see them pay bigger bucks for Premiership license and so fourth.

Unless the price being asked comes down or a new player enters the arena willing to pay/invest in the presentation I highly doubt we will see any changes.

Understand the business side of it, don't spend what you don't have to. Not sure where that translates to as far as R&D but most likely it just helps the bottom line.
  • My favourite part of the new presentation are the plays of the period/game. It's a nice touch to see a mix of hits/saves/goals highlighted in every game.

Really good step forward here.
  • Oshimai wrote: »
    My favourite part of the new presentation are the plays of the period/game. It's a nice touch to see a mix of hits/saves/goals highlighted in every game.

Really good step forward here.

Different from the beta?