EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Not sure i'm sold yet!

The skating and goalies upgrade look nice, but i'm waiting until they release more about game modes. I'm an offline player and EA has been struggling big time the last 4 or 5 years with offline content. I like BAP and Franchise mode, franchise has gotten upgrades last year and this year as it looks like but i'm sorry sometimes i would like to move away from franchise and play another offline mode but there really isn't any other offline game mode to play.

3'S is very cartoony not a big fan

BAP is it even in the game anymore haven't been no upgrades in 10 years

EASHL Online

1V1V1 Online

HUT Online

Battle Royale Mode Online

It's just hard to make a purchase based on it seems like 95% of the game put towards Online modes, i mean take MLB The Show they do upgrades to a variety of there modes online and offline. It just hard to be a loyal customer to a video game that costs 60-100 dollars and the game was better 6 years ago.
Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

TN: Snipers USA

GT: King Loves23

Replies

• SaydaNeen
    47 posts Member
    edited July 19
    I definitely wouldn't say the game was better 6 years ago. Hitting was bad, skating was stiff, the whole way the player moved on the ice interacting with other players on the ice was very ridged.
    With the RPM engine it's made it much more smoother, last year was their first year with the engine, they've already shown vast improvements to geometry within the engine (puck pickups, shooting looking more natural at certain angles) this year. I am also an offline player, spending most of my time in Franchise.
    I'm definitely on EA Vancouver's side here when it comes to the insult and negativity bandwagon. Give credit where credit is due, changing the entire way the player and goalie reacts to the puck, shoots, hits etc. in 2 years is not bad, all while spending time on other things as well. I actually enjoyed CHEL 3's in '19, first time I played an online mode in years!
    I am going to mention one thing that prevented me from preordering or even spending full price on the game, that was the Legends not being included in Offline modes... They've done it before with the MON Centennial team but they couldn't include the Legends last year, VERY disappointed... But, aside from that I think EA Vancouver is doing well.
  • I agree with the OP that the offline modes were better in the previous generation (XB360/PS3). They were certainly more fun. Now it's just a boring grind. I'd much rather play other offline games even though hockey is my favorite thing. I would venture to guess that they've spent about 1% of their development time on offline modes the past 5 years. I wouldn't care so much because I used to like EASHL, but unless your clubmates are online, it's now boring, silent, arcadish pond hockey with ridiculous outfits. Not fun at all. Even club games usually aren't much fun much of the time because of the lag problems that they can't seem to address that have been there since they introduced EASHL.

• Froommey
    617 posts Member
    SaydaNeen wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't say the game was better 6 years ago. Hitting was bad, skating was stiff, the whole way the player moved on the ice interacting with other players on the ice was very ridged.
    With the RPM engine it's made it much more smoother, last year was their first year with the engine, they've already shown vast improvements to geometry within the engine (puck pickups, shooting looking more natural at certain angles) this year. I am also an offline player, spending most of my time in Franchise.
    I'm definitely on EA Vancouver's side here when it comes to the insult and negativity bandwagon. Give credit where credit is due, changing the entire way the player and goalie reacts to the puck, shoots, hits etc. in 2 years is not bad, all while spending time on other things as well. I actually enjoyed CHEL 3's in '19, first time I played an online mode in years!
    I am going to mention one thing that prevented me from preordering or even spending full price on the game, that was the Legends not being included in Offline modes... They've done it before with the MON Centennial team but they couldn't include the Legends last year, VERY disappointed... But, aside from that I think EA Vancouver is doing well.

As I understood lovell2305 doesn’t speak about the gameplay. His meaning was about the offline game modes. Game = not only Gameplay ...... Game is all together ! A bit better Gameplay is no reason for all to buy this game. EA developers should start to learn that if they want that the copy selling will go up.

• I would pre-order today if they stated Legends could be used in offline franchise...
  • It's going to be a game I will pick up when it drops down to $10.00 - $15.00 as my two biggest wants (online franchise mode and the game being released on PC) have again been ignored.
  • It's going to be a game I will pick up when it drops down to $10.00 - $15.00 as my two biggest wants (online franchise mode and the game being released on PC) have again been ignored.
    That's because their target audience is now online arcade seeking gamers that have never even watched a real NHL hockey game.

• Froommey wrote: »
    SaydaNeen wrote: »

As I understood lovell2305 doesn’t speak about the gameplay. His meaning was about the offline game modes. Game = not only Gameplay ...... Game is all together ! A bit better Gameplay is no reason for all to buy this game. EA developers should start to learn that if they want that the copy selling will go up.

I disagree, It may go up slightly if they spent hundreds of man hours on it but not by a significant amount that would make it worth it... There are a few threads on this forum discussing the sales of NHL games and the audience it sells to. potential for sales isn't high.
    I think people are forgetting this is a business. Cost-benefit analysis is always taken in to account before many man hours are spent on a project. They can not have the same output they have for FIFA games because frankly FIFA sells much better than NHL and there is a much higher potential.
    Offline game modes are pretty solid if you ask me, the tweaks they've been making each year are fine (GM adding scouting, rink updates, ticket sales, budgets etc.), what was more pressing is gameplay mechanics. We don't need any more offline game modes so not sure where your point is.
    Not sure what else to tell you other than what I've said in the past two comments. Doesn't seem like many people here know what game development involves.
  • SaydaNeen wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like many people here know what game development involves.
    Unfortunately, either does EA Vancouver.