EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

Defense slow to respond/turn around??

Prev13
Maybe it's just me, but it sure feels like it takes way too much time and effort to simply turn our defender around when the puck heads back the other way. He doesn't just turn and skate, but rather do a long slow veer around all while the other team just blows right on by. Not to mention that the defender is slow to recognize that the play is going back the other way, so that puts him behind right from the first step.

Anybody else feel that?

Replies

• Yup.. it’s to make the forwards look faster so they can say that the puck pickups and transitions work better when in reality they don’t
  • kitchener_boy
    353 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Bring back Mark Lesser. Heck remember how good NHL 98 was?..ok well hire Marc Crawford.
  • It's because it's finally realistic. Meaning you gotta be more alert and play a better control gap. Welcome to reality
  • Auto backskate on or off
  • Kuus2
    212 posts Member
    Follisimo wrote: »
    It's because it's finally realistic. Meaning you gotta be more alert and play a better control gap. Welcome to reality

Few times I see my D-men freezing or jump up right at the moment I gain control of them, even when they were skating backwards before. Each time that happens there’s nothing I can do.
  • Kuus2 wrote: »
    It's because it's finally realistic. Meaning you gotta be more alert and play a better control gap. Welcome to reality

Few times I see my D-men freezing or jump up right at the moment I gain control of them, even when they were skating backwards before. Each time that happens there’s nothing I can do.

Oh you talking from a versus point of view. Maybe that changing of players when you don't have the puck has a slight delay to stuff?
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    "It's because it's finally realistic. Meaning you gotta be more alert and play a better control gap. Welcome to reality "

Not reality, if you have great gap control and the forward blows by you because you lose all your speed when you make one single adjustment, that's not real, that's a program error.
  • WainGretSki
    3451 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Maybe it's just me, but it sure feels like it takes way too much time and effort to simply turn our defender around when the puck heads back the other way. He doesn't just turn and skate, but rather do a long slow veer around all while the other team just blows right on by. Not to mention that the defender is slow to recognize that the play is going back the other way, so that puts him behind right from the first step.

Anybody else feel that?

Yea I feel it. Horrendous. As a full time D man in EASHL, 19 is far better. Most times when I want to stop and then start skating backwards it feels like I hit a patch of sand. Pivots are clunky and not fluid. Gives me the impression of the L2 nerf is killing us on D. And might I add, the L2 nerf is hardly a nerf. It is absurd at how it is still being abused and is still the meta in 6s. Players are abusing it by doing quarter pivots in and out of them like they were the easiest thing to pull off while in control of a puck..... Great way to avoid body checks too.

Horribly implemented and downright annoying. I now have to play super conservatively even against horrible forwards just to have a chance to keep up. Player bubble seems worse as well this year. And what the heck is going on with Danglers? They are incredibly OP this year. They avoid checks like the best Powerforwards, snipe like the best Snipers and puts Playmakers to shame with their passing skills. They are actually very decent for their physical play as well when they don't have the puck. What is going on at EA studios this year???????

This series is just going downhill and gaining momentum at it every single year......
  • Auto backskate on or off

Tried it both ways. Same either way.
    Kuus2 wrote: »

That's part of what I was talking about too. AS USUAL, the forwards get all the speed and love while the defenders don't even get the scraps at the bottom anymore.
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "It's because it's finally realistic. Meaning you gotta be more alert and play a better control gap. Welcome to reality "

Not reality, if you have great gap control and the forward blows by you because you lose all your speed when you make one single adjustment, that's not real, that's a program error.

WAY TOO MUCH penalty for touching your left stick being a defender. It would be a whole different game if the physics of the defender were equal to the physics of the skater with the puck. This has been a thing at least ever since the current hardware came out.
  • Follisimo wrote: »

Is that the same reality where forwards automatically retrieve pucks most recently poked away or stick lifted? Or how 90% of the forwards are abusing the spin o rama and pivot exploit to render them near invincible? Or how there are no negative consequences except for a turnover for poor play? How about how forwards are consistently rewarded for making unskilled, non-hockey plays? Too bad forwards dont have to be more alert when performing the ridiculously entry level one touch dekes or how forwards can still get high quality shots off at the same time theyre being obliterated by an open ice body check? How realistic is it being a forward knowing that stick checking is so broken, no good players use it much because becaue it results in far to many penalties? How aware do forwards have to be to exploit the backhand maneuver to again render them near invincible?

• sgiz1 wrote: »

Id say it was programmed perfectly on purpose to give yet another advantage to the forwards.
  • Check out this.

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/77655558

Look how long it takes for me to turn around and to start accelerating. I’ve gotten blown by a few times because of this.
  • Not only that but the defense literally just stands there. They are not actively moving to anticipate and gain momentum when they need to backcheck.

They are constantly out of position as well. When a pass is happening the defense are not between the puck carrier and a possible shot or pass. They are always on the opposite side, so there's literally no chance to defend effectively when you change to your other defenseman.

Who ever says that is realistic has never actually played hockey or watched hockey at all.

The defenseman is ALWAYS actively on his man. Infront of his stick to make sure he can't receive a pass or shoot properly. He's not behind them or on the other side of the rink standing still for no reason.
  • Tonysl79
    313 posts Member
    The whole game is slow and it seems like the periods are longer and slower as well. I don’t like arcade style but this is too slow need to speed it up a little.
  • I noticed pivots are very sluggish and also my player also stopping dead for no reason from time to time.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1150 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, I've noticed some odd behavior in EASHL too, where you control your player all the time. I am not sure if its' just the d-man builds, but sometimes your player just refuses to move for a second, or doesn't move in the direction you want. OR moves in certain direction on it's own, you have to correct it a bit, so you don't get out of position (or at least where I think I should be).

This happened in NHL18 A LOT, much less in NHL 19, and from the beta I'd say it still continues. It's not so obvious if you constantly rush around the rink, but I like to stay in my position, so I tend to glide or not move at all, and those times you see something odd going on. Like game tries to 'help' you or something, I dunno.

About game speed in general, I think the tempo is raised from NHl19, it's just that only the offensive players get to enjoy that, and d-men and goalies just have to cope with the zippy opponents. So timing your pokes and hits is even harder now.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Check out this.

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/77655558

Look how long it takes for me to turn around and to start accelerating. I’ve gotten blown by a few times because of this.

Yea, I've seen that happen to me quite a few times. Get like a stutter and a slight delay. Extremely annoying. Seems amplified when you wanna do a hard stop and then backskate while holding L2.
  • Not sure why the LT changes needed to effect the defensive side of the puck.

You can thank the LT’ers for this little hiccup.
  • Not sure why the LT changes needed to effect the defensive side of the puck.

You can thank the LT’ers for this little hiccup.

I don't know if it's just me, but why not tune it so that while you backskate or pivot in and out and in and out and bla bla your agility and resistance to body checks goes down to almost 0?? It is insane that you cannot plow a guy backskating into you while you are going for him..... Physics? Guys are now doing quick quarter in and out pivots in succession while retaining the puck and speed and slipping past body checks.... smh
  • Jaydef20
    1 posts New member
    [quote="EpiCxOwNeD;c-2079503"]Check out this.

[/quote]

Amazing video, happened to me countless of times