EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - HUT Deep dive

Andrew Marks HUT Producer and Nicholas Shewchuk Live Content Producer discuss HUT in NHL 20.
Check it out here.

Serious feedback: open dialogue as this community wants this series to get back to its roots.

Replies

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    It's all in your head dude. How come I can win with the Ottawa Senators consistantly in VS even though they are the WORST rated team in the game, by far?

Maybe because I play better knowing I have a less "skilled" team on the ice.

As the old saying goes: "A Master with a Stone will always defeat a Novice with a Sword..."

Um no I’m sorry this isn’t some existential quote or fairy tale...it’s not in my head. So you’re saying that I’m a master but i somehow play like garbage every time i play with an nhl team but give me team Poland and i become some hockey phenom? No i wouldn’t ever buy that as an explanation. There is way too much evidence of foul play in the online portion of this series to consider that as an explanation.
  • So many of you live in the past thinking of how great things were, but yet many of those games had many of the same complaints. Goalies were less than great, defense was worse than it was back then, a simple forehand backhand with little effort was an easy goal. I've been on these forums forever and have seen the complaints year and year out. When things get addressed people still aren't happy. It's literally impossible to please an online community and what they think balance is.

FIFA 19 was probably the most toxic the community has gotten where they had gamechangers and such trashing their game and getting removed for speaking their honest opinions.

It doesn't matter what WE as a community want because the community isn't as united in opinions as many would like to think. So they go with their direction because they are the ones making the game for investors and not US.
  • VeNOM2099
    2435 posts Member
    rblaze1988 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    It's all in your head dude. How come I can win with the Ottawa Senators consistantly in VS even though they are the WORST rated team in the game, by far?

As the old saying goes: "A Master with a Stone will always defeat a Novice with a Sword..."

Um no I’m sorry this isn’t some existential quote or fairy tale...it’s not in my head. So you’re saying that I’m a master but i somehow play like garbage every time i play with an nhl team but give me team Poland and i become some hockey phenom? No i wouldn’t ever buy that as an explanation. There is way too much evidence of foul play in the online portion of this series to consider that as an explanation.

No, I'm saying that you're looking for excuses that aren't there. The game is bad, that's no secret. Everything about EA's NHL series has always more about razzle-dazzle than actual hockey. If you try to play this video game using hockey knowledge, chances are you'll have to work twice or even triple the amount of someone using exploits and glitches to score.

Also, many in this community (including yourself it seems) equate SKILL to WINS. So if you lose, you're bad. If you win, you're good. And that's the wrong way to think about this. You can completely dominate your opponent in this game and still come up short because... Well EA happened. A random shot from the blue line your goalie forgets to stop. An errant pass that SOMEHOW just happens to deflect PERFECTLY off the back of your d-mans skates and into the opponent's stick. Pucks that go through limbs and equipment. No calls from the ref on blatant penalties, interference.

It has nothing to do with ice tilt, momentum of whatever you want to call it.
  • rblaze1988
    31 posts Member
    edited August 5

No, I'm saying that you're looking for excuses that aren't there. The game is bad, that's no secret. Everything about EA's NHL series has always more about razzle-dazzle than actual hockey. If you try to play this video game using hockey knowledge, chances are you'll have to work twice or even triple the amount of someone using exploits and glitches to score.

Also, many in this community (including yourself it seems) equate SKILL to WINS. So if you lose, you're bad. If you win, you're good. And that's the wrong way to think about this. You can completely dominate your opponent in this game and still come up short because... Well EA happened. A random shot from the blue line your goalie forgets to stop. An errant pass that SOMEHOW just happens to deflect PERFECTLY off the back of your d-mans skates and into the opponent's stick. Pucks that go through limbs and equipment. No calls from the ref on blatant penalties, interference.

I don’t equate wins with skill so stop right there. I equate domination with skill. And everything you just said in your first paragraph is everything that i stated is happening and you’re arguing me about it? Lol there is definitely exploits in the game but that is just a slice of the actually problem with the coding in this game. Why do you think these exploits exist in this game and can be reproduced at will? Its because the game is programmed to respond to players that aren’t really doing what they’re supposed to or playing like they don’t know how to play or aren’t as skilled. It changes the team AI and hockey sense and reaction speed and team D to help that player out and keep games close.

Post edited by rblaze1988 on
  • rblaze1988 wrote: »

I don’t equate wins with skill so stop right there. I equate domination with skill. And everything you just said in your first paragraph is everything that i stated is happening and you’re arguing me about it? Lol there is definitely exploits in the game but that is just a slice of the actually problem with the coding in this game. Why do you think these exploits exist in this game and can be reproduced at will? Its because the game is programmed to respond to players that aren’t really doing what they’re supposed to or playing like they don’t know how to play or aren’t as skilled. It changes the team AI and hockey sense and reaction speed and team D to help that player out and keep games close.

Domination doesn't mean anything. I can let some person take 20 shots and I only take 5 or 6 but end up winning 4-0 because I take the RIGHT shots. I manipulate the game cause I figure out the weaknesses. That is called domination of the game given to you.

TOA
    SOG
    HITS
    ^^^^all meaningless because the score is the only thing that matters.

If I get a breakaway I will 1 hand tuck every time because it's a sure thing.
    If I'm able to come out from behind the net I will do the twist and shoot shortside shot.
    I play to win the game and not play a hockey game because EA isn't catering to a full sim.
  • Follisimo wrote: »

Domination doesn't mean anything. I can let some person take 20 shots and I only take 5 or 6 but end up winning 4-0 because I take the RIGHT shots. I manipulate the game cause I figure out the weaknesses. That is called domination of the game given to you.

TOA
    SOG
    HITS

If I'm able to come out from behind the net I will do the twist and shoot shortside shot.
    I play to win the game and not play a hockey game because EA isn't catering to a full sim.

Everything you said here is why I dont really like playing nhl anymore. It makes it very one dimensional and extremely boring to play.

I'm trying to get a hockey experience, not abuse the poor mechanics '20.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »

TOA
    SOG
    HITS

Everything you said here is why I dont really like playing nhl anymore. It makes it very one dimensional and extremely boring to play.

Well if the game is allowing these things then it's obviously a part of the game. A long time ago an EA Dev said they try to make the game realistic to a degree but also add fun elements. Obviously the fun elements work more often because it's programming and when AI is involved it's easy to pick up patterns and manipulate.

Many have tried to play a more legit style of hockey but the results don't get you what you want and you lose to the people willing to do what it takes to win. Ask the esport players and lots of them didn't like the LTing but since it's in the game and very effective they use it to the fullest.

So overall the only thing you can do is play EA's version of NHL if you want to get the most success.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1086 posts Member
    edited August 6
    Personally, I couldn't care less what these 'esports' folks do or think. They seem to be playing some version of HUT or versus anyways. I dont' bother with those modes, because I think they're a lost cause anyways.

My focus is in EASHL, and there the most important thing is to have fun with other players playing a game which resembles hockey at least to a certain degree. It's a team effort, the play is abotu cycling the puck, and making great plays. It's not about who has the best thumb skills to abuse the game. In fact, you can have good experience with mediocre players, provided they play as a team. (We've managed to win some elite teams when we play well together, and defend well.)

Then you can have these great individuals who melt on ice because their exploits and dekes won't work and they don't know how or when to pass. It's easy to see when you get this type of HUT glitchers. It's fairly easy to neutralize these with a couple of guys if necessary, since they're not used to live opponents most of the time.

The only guy on ice who has to do it individually is the goalie, and even then he has to rely on his dmen a lot. Rarely do you get a shutout if the team mates are playing bad and sleep on the ice.

So I always hope for gameplay that supports great teamplay and realism, because that's where I get my kicks from with this game. That also applies to single player modes, by the way, where the stone dumb AI ruins the experience for you. Notice how the questionnaire had questions about what you think about your team AI and the opposing team AI? Very telling.
  • Sinbin
    1281 posts Member

Well if the game is allowing these things then it's obviously a part of the game. A long time ago an EA Dev said they try to make the game realistic to a degree but also add fun elements. Obviously the fun elements work more often because it's programming and when AI is involved it's easy to pick up patterns and manipulate.

Many have tried to play a more legit style of hockey but the results don't get you what you want and you lose to the people willing to do what it takes to win. Ask the esport players and lots of them didn't like the LTing but since it's in the game and very effective they use it to the fullest.

So overall the only thing you can do is play EA's version of NHL if you want to get the most success.

People playing legit hockey can win. When you create space and open lanes, it plays like real hockey. So many people choose not to because they find it easier to go for the cheese. Those guys can be pretty easy to shut down as well. It's unfortunate, but you have to focus your defense on stopping the same shots over and over again. Not fun, but easier to do than play against the guy that works the puck around and gets you out of position.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

People playing legit hockey can win. When you create space and open lanes, it plays like real hockey. So many people choose not to because they find it easier to go for the cheese. Those guys can be pretty easy to shut down as well. It's unfortunate, but you have to focus your defense on stopping the same shots over and over again. Not fun, but easier to do than play against the guy that works the puck around and gets you out of position.

100%
  • I believe that stupid CR rating when playing Chel needs to be removed, never needed that before to find out who's a good player or not, you can see on the ice who's good or not, don't need a rating to figure it out. Especially when you have a game mode of 3's and it's you and one other teammate and your teammate quits, even though you probably could of came back and maybe won but nope you lose because your teammate sucked and quit and your CR rating goes down because the game won't let you play now by yourself, just a stupid rating system that shouldn't even be part of it.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Personally, I couldn't care less what these 'esports' folks do or think. They seem to be playing some version of HUT or versus anyways. I dont' bother with those modes, because I think they're a lost cause anyways.

My focus is in EASHL, and there the most important thing is to have fun with other players playing a game which resembles hockey at least to a certain degree. It's a team effort, the play is abotu cycling the puck, and making great plays. It's not about who has the best thumb skills to abuse the game. In fact, you can have good experience with mediocre players, provided they play as a team. (We've managed to win some elite teams when we play well together, and defend well.)

Then you can have these great individuals who melt on ice because their exploits and dekes won't work and they don't know how or when to pass. It's easy to see when you get this type of HUT glitchers. It's fairly easy to neutralize these with a couple of guys if necessary, since they're not used to live opponents most of the time.

The only guy on ice who has to do it individually is the goalie, and even then he has to rely on his dmen a lot. Rarely do you get a shutout if the team mates are playing bad and sleep on the ice.

So I always hope for gameplay that supports great teamplay and realism, because that's where I get my kicks from with this game. That also applies to single player modes, by the way, where the stone dumb AI ruins the experience for you. Notice how the questionnaire had questions about what you think about your team AI and the opposing team AI? Very telling.

Well yes 6's will always be the purest form of hockey to a degree.

When AI is involved it becomes tricky because tendencies can be figured out and like the one year they made the AI worthy people complained about them scoring too many goals and playing too good of defense. When I see the current state of how AI plays it lets me know that the most vocal or bigger slice of the pie just isn't that great at the game and it's tuned more for them.
  • VeNOM2099
    2435 posts Member
    flyextacy wrote: »

TOA
    SOG
    HITS

Right... so win at all costs.

It doesn't matter if it's akin to cheating, whatever it takes to secure that dub. Gotcha!
  • Follisimo
    703 posts Member
    edited August 6

TOA
    SOG
    HITS

It doesn't matter if it's akin to cheating, whatever it takes to secure that dub. Gotcha!

Cheating is lag switching and other forms not built into the game. Playing with what the game gives you isn't cheating, but if it's cheap then so be it. You can play the game however you want but Herm Edwards said it best. And you have played in LG long enough to know exactly that.

• VeNOM2099
    2435 posts Member

TOA
    SOG
    HITS

Cheating is lag switching and other forms not built into the game. Playing with what the game gives you isn't cheating, but if it's cheap then so be it. You can play the game however you want but Herm Edwards said it best. And you have played in LG long enough to know exactly that.

Which is why I don't play in LG anymore... If winning at all costs, including using cheats and exploits are what's acceptable there, then I don't want to be a part of it.

There are dozens of other games out there that let you play fair and with skill without having to resort to using exploits to feel like you've accomplished something.

Welcome to NHL online! You must be new!
    Which is why I don't play in LG anymore... If winning at all costs, including using cheats and exploits are what's acceptable there, then I don't want to be a part of it.

There are dozens of other games out there that let you play fair and with skill without having to resort to using exploits to feel like you've accomplished something.

There are no 'cheats' in NHL. Exploits... yea of course. But guess what? There are hundreds of games out there that have their game mechanics exploited every minute of every day.

That's the nature of gaming.

• VeNOM2099
    2435 posts Member

Welcome to NHL online! You must be new!

No. Just older than most, and patient to a fault... But my patience has reached its limit.

There are no 'cheats' in NHL. Exploits... yea of course. But guess what? There are hundreds of games out there that have their game mechanics exploited every minute of every day.

That's the nature of gaming.

Of course there are exploits in other games. But again, most developers, especially developers of highly competitive games will take care to have those exploits either removed or lessened.

Then there are the venues themselves that, if an exploit is deemed to be unfair by the community that plays it, especially during tournament settings, they will have self imposed bans. Things like certain characters that aren't selectable, or certain stages. Heck, even Card Battle Games like Yu-Gi-Oh have cards and mechanics that are outright BANNED by official tournaments!

There has to come a time when as a community we have to ask ourselves: "What are we willing to put up with?"

For me the answer was very simple: NOT THIS.
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited August 8
    Things like certain characters that aren't selectable, or certain stages. Heck, even Card Battle Games like Yu-Gi-Oh have cards and mechanics that are outright BANNED by official tournaments!

You're equating potential OP characters or 'levels' with goals that are scored often because they're not defended properly.

It's not a fair comparison.
  • G1ll1es wrote: »
    Guys.

We didnt want nhl 15 for ps4. We have gotten almost nothing ea nhl 14 did well except for scouting and a progressively better looking nhl 15.

This game is alllll about selling these days and not much about actual HOCKEY. Its an NHL branded hockey game that at its core probably pays the NHL logo a large sum of money and cuts down production costs for programmers and coders.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL is giving EA some sort of subsidy to keep the franchise alive.

LOL, Bettman will never give what he can sell. EA pays the NHL, not the other way around.

E-sports is a billion dollar business and the NHL is starting to get their feet wet in it, holding EA NHL tournaments at the awards show, cover reveal and all that stuff. It's in their best interest to keep the game alive.

I bet more people would be invested into NHL Esports if was EASHL. The gaming world championship for NHL is hilariously bad. Nothing but a cheese and exploit fest that doesn’t resemble anything the sport of hockey is. It looked like more of a ballerina competition than it did a hockey one.