EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Serious feedback: open dialogue as this community wants this series to get back to its roots.

Replies

• EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    G1ll1es wrote: »
    Guys.

We didnt want nhl 15 for ps4. We have gotten almost nothing ea nhl 14 did well except for scouting and a progressively better looking nhl 15.

This game is alllll about selling these days and not much about actual HOCKEY. Its an NHL branded hockey game that at its core probably pays the NHL logo a large sum of money and cuts down production costs for programmers and coders.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL is giving EA some sort of subsidy to keep the franchise alive.

LOL, Bettman will never give what he can sell. EA pays the NHL, not the other way around.

E-sports is a billion dollar business and the NHL is starting to get their feet wet in it, holding EA NHL tournaments at the awards show, cover reveal and all that stuff. It's in their best interest to keep the game alive.

I bet more people would be invested into NHL Esports if was EASHL. The gaming world championship for NHL is hilariously bad. Nothing but a cheese and exploit fest that doesn’t resemble anything the sport of hockey is. It looked like more of a ballerina competition than it did a hockey one.

Agreed.
    I bet more people would be invested into NHL Esports if was EASHL.

I think this is the goal. To have a footing in the eSports world where your game is played with a full team of humans, eliminating any A.I.

EA had to start somewhere and OVP was the obvious choice.

Eventually, I imagine you won't see single OVP Champs representing NHL clubs. You will likely get teams of 6 people representing NHL teams in the eSports realm. The big question there is - how do you go about getting NHL teams to draft players to their eSports Teams? I think the NBA held an eSports 'draft' at one point? That would be sick.

The gaming world championship for NHL is hilariously bad. Nothing but a cheese and exploit fest that doesn’t resemble anything the sport of hockey is.

The NHLGWC was a showcase of the best players in the world who know how to play NHL 19. It is not meant to be a showcase of the best players in the world who have a large 'hockey IQ'.

Have a look at the Madden Bowl - how many 4th down attempts do you see? Does that resemble football in an accurate way? No, it really doesn't.

But again - these aren't football or hockey competitions - they're gaming competitions.
    It looked like more of a ballerina competition than it did a hockey one.

I saw players who know every nuance in the controls for NHL 19 and they know how to utilize them to their maximum ability.

Personally - I think everyone who has issues with 'glitch goals' needs to watch the NHLGWC to get an idea for how to defend them. They are defendable. If they weren't, all of the games in NHLGWC would be blowouts. They aren't.
  • Oslik1000
    143 posts Member
    edited August 9
    EA madden got 3,3 from 10 user's score. It is the first warning time. This year will not be an incredible. It is not about nhl. EA is not build the rocks this year.
    It is not so bad if many users wrote "Madden 20 is a definite improvement over Madden 19"
    It can be good from the "roots" game at the future, I think.
    G1ll1es wrote: »
    Guys.

We didnt want nhl 15 for ps4. We have gotten almost nothing ea nhl 14 did well except for scouting and a progressively better looking nhl 15.

This game is alllll about selling these days and not much about actual HOCKEY. Its an NHL branded hockey game that at its core probably pays the NHL logo a large sum of money and cuts down production costs for programmers and coders.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL is giving EA some sort of subsidy to keep the franchise alive.

LOL, Bettman will never give what he can sell. EA pays the NHL, not the other way around.

E-sports is a billion dollar business and the NHL is starting to get their feet wet in it, holding EA NHL tournaments at the awards show, cover reveal and all that stuff. It's in their best interest to keep the game alive.

I bet more people would be invested into NHL Esports if was EASHL. The gaming world championship for NHL is hilariously bad. Nothing but a cheese and exploit fest that doesn’t resemble anything the sport of hockey is. It looked like more of a ballerina competition than it did a hockey one.

100% It was poorly done. Sure, have a 1v1 VS tournament. But you also need a 6v6 team tourney.
    This is HOCKEY after all.
  • MooseHunter10
    400 posts Member
    edited August 9
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

I think this is the goal. To have a footing in the eSports world where your game is played with a full team of humans, eliminating any A.I.

Eventually, I imagine you won't see single OVP Champs representing NHL clubs. You will likely get teams of 6 people representing NHL teams in the eSports realm. The big question there is - how do you go about getting NHL teams to draft players to their eSports Teams? I think the NBA held an eSports 'draft' at one point? That would be sick.

The gaming world championship for NHL is hilariously bad. Nothing but a cheese and exploit fest that doesn’t resemble anything the sport of hockey is.

The NHLGWC was a showcase of the best players in the world who know how to play NHL 19. It is not meant to be a showcase of the best players in the world who have a large 'hockey IQ'.

Have a look at the Madden Bowl - how many 4th down attempts do you see? Does that resemble football in an accurate way? No, it really doesn't.

But again - these aren't football or hockey competitions - they're gaming competitions.

I saw players who know every nuance in the controls for NHL 19 and they know how to utilize them to their maximum ability.

Personally - I think everyone who has issues with 'glitch goals' needs to watch the NHLGWC to get an idea for how to defend them. They are defendable. If they weren't, all of the games in NHLGWC would be blowouts. They aren't.

Im surprised anyone sees the NHLGWC as anything but an embarrassment and a joke. Even the winner had to laugh it off.
    EASHL player

The best NHL 19 players at exploiting the game. All I saw was half spins and half spins with the occasional one hand tuck going him a little too much then have the commentators saying it was a “highlight goal”. It’s hard enough playing against ballerinas,

There was a goal against Yung Gren where his Ai decide to get off the ice and ignore the puck and his opponent comes in and “snipes” a weak one at the top of the circles. That alone, you know, Ai, ruin any legitimacy of calling it an “Epsort”. That’s why you have a full team of human controlled players, so they head to to the bench. Along side with human goalies so those “highlight goal” one handed tucks don’t go in. People use the word “glitch goal” meaning exploit. There’s no reason why a certain shot or breakaway move should go in 100% of the time. There’s no 100% move or area to score in the NHL so EA says “high quality scoring area” to distinguish the fact it goes in more that it should. Ever see an NHL get beat by the same move 5 times a game?

For madden, I don’t play madden but I’m quite sure there was an EASHL style mode that they took out. If they’re doing versus like NHL, it’s still a joke IMO.

It’s just funny how EA has a mode like EASHL that they don’t use or promote for their Esports. I bet people want to see 6v6 of humans trying their very best to win against one another not to see some Ai exploitation and call it an “Esport”.

It’s just funny how EA has a mode like EASHL that they don’t use or promote for their Esports. I bet people want to see 6v6 of humans trying their very best to win against one another not to see some Ai exploitation and call it an “Esport”.

Sadly, it's not even EA's fault for this failing. If you have ever watched any Youtube or Twitch stream, they actively talk down about 6s hockey. Things like "it's boring" and "it would never get any views" is what most of the community says.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Sadly, it's not even EA's fault for this failing. If you have ever watched any Youtube or Twitch stream, they actively talk down about 6s hockey. Things like "it's boring" and "it would never get any views" is what most of the community says.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. I can't think of anything more boring than watching a versus match where there's 10 CPU players on the ice at all times. Those doofuses clearly don't know how to play real Hockey, so they feel the need to talk it down.
  • Follisimo
    745 posts Member
    edited August 11
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. I can't think of anything more boring than watching a versus match where there's 10 CPU players on the ice at all times. Those doofuses clearly don't know how to play real Hockey, so they feel the need to talk it down.

They hate the trap game that top teams can play resulting in lots of ugly hockey. If the game was more open with lots of scoring chances then it would get the attention that HUT/Versus does because while many hate the always goal shots it's usually the average people fans of the game that enjoy it or want to do that.

There just isn't enough exciting plays in the 6s community, but overall if you are playing it's a better hockey experience. NBA 2K has their team based esport and people trash it all the time for how unrealistic it is.

There were popular quotes about the NBA 2K League.

"Sports games aren't balanced for competition, they're attempts at virtually representing known commodities and it highly limits their ability to produce an interesting metagame."

"You don't have to know how to play NBA you just have to learn how to play 2K."

^^^That is exactly how NHL is. You don't have to know hockey but you have to know EA's version to excel.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

They hate the trap game that top teams can play resulting in lots of ugly hockey. If the game was more open with lots of scoring chances then it would get the attention that HUT/Versus does because while many hate the always goal shots it's usually the average people fans of the game that enjoy it or want to do that.

There just isn't enough exciting plays in the 6s community, but overall if you are playing it's a better hockey experience. NBA 2K has their team based esport and people trash it all the time for how unrealistic it is.

"Sports games aren't balanced for competition, they're attempts at virtually representing known commodities and it highly limits their ability to produce an interesting metagame."

^^^That is exactly how NHL is. You don't have to know hockey but you have to know EA's version to excel.

"There just isn't enough exciting plays in the 6s community"

Hockey isn't highlight reel play after highlight reel play. It seems that's what EA wants it to be though.

"That is exactly how NHL is. You don't have to know hockey but you have to know EA's version to excel."

Yup unfortunately
  • VeNOM2099
    2588 posts Member
    edited August 11
    Follisimo wrote: »

They get lots of "ugly hockey" because they're constantly trying to be a one man show on the ice. And they don't hate "trap" hockey so much as they hate "skillzoning".

To them, playing positionally sound hockey is equal to skillzoning so it's "boring". Playing against a defensive team doesn't give them much room to be "individuals" out on the ice. Because nothing says hockey like being able to LT abuse across the entire ice surface and score top corner then celly in the goalie's crease by doing push-ups...

To me, nothing gets me more pumped than watching a team set up a cycling play that ends in a tic-tac-toe play that either ends up in a goal or a clutch play by the defense/goalie to deny a goal. Those are the plays that need to be a thousand times more highlighted in EA's NHL, not the dipsy-doodling and LT abusing or animation glitch goals this game is known for.

• Im surprised anyone sees the NHLGWC as anything but an embarrassment and a joke. Even the winner had to laugh it off.

Had to laugh off what, exactly?

Again - anyone who thinks the NHLGWC was an 'embarrassment' needs to take a step back and understand these are videogame competitions, not hockey competitions.

There's a lot of 'hockey IQ' egos around here who think the GWC made the game 'look' bad, but those people believe a videogame is capable of recreating real life. That will never, EVER happen.

The GWC showcased the people who play this game the best, and the 'hockey IQ' gods always look down their nose at those.
  • Im surprised anyone sees the NHLGWC as anything but an embarrassment and a joke. Even the winner had to laugh it off.

Had to laugh off what, exactly?

Again - anyone who thinks the NHLGWC was an 'embarrassment' needs to take a step back and understand these are videogame competitions, not hockey competitions.

There's a lot of 'hockey IQ' egos around here who think the GWC made the game 'look' bad, but those people believe a videogame is capable of recreating real life. That will never, EVER happen.

The GWC showcased the people who play this game the best, and the 'hockey IQ' gods always look down their nose at those.

All this is irrelevant. It is an insult to the sport and makes it look like a clown show. I don't see how a team sport can be found fun or logical when it is played as individualistically as possible. The best players know that passing and cycling is by far not the best way to win consistently. It is pure opposite of what the sport actually is. Watching these guys play is nothing more than watchmaking who can abuse the most and take advantage of all the shortcomings in this game and it has been this way for over 10 years. Consoles are 10 times more powerful than previous gen, yet essentially all that changed are the graphics....

You are free to agree or not, just as any one of us is free to disagree with you. I happen to disagree with you and your explanation.
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited August 12
    The best players know that passing and cycling is by far not the best way to win consistently.

Lots of players see success in this.
    It is pure opposite of what the sport actually is.

The GWC - Gaming World Championship. This is not the Hockey World Championships.
    Watching these guys play is nothing more than watchmaking who can abuse the most and take advantage of all the shortcomings in this game and it has been this way for over 10 years.

It will be this way forever. These are videogames. If you're looking for a videogame to capture the real-life sport with 100% accuracy - I have some bad news for you...

Edit: I'd also like to point out, for the most part, the 'abuse' you see is nothing more than players who can abuse other players who are terrible at defending problem areas.

You are free to agree or not, just as any one of us is free to disagree with you. I happen to disagree with you and your explanation.

I think this goes without saying?
  • The best players know that passing and cycling is by far not the best way to win consistently.

The GWC - Gaming World Championship. This is not the Hockey World Championships.
    Watching these guys play is nothing more than watchmaking who can abuse the most and take advantage of all the shortcomings in this game and it has been this way for over 10 years.

It will be this way forever. These are videogames. If you're looking for a videogame to capture the real-life sport with 100% accuracy - I have some bad news for you...

Edit: I'd also like to point out, for the most part, the 'abuse' you see is nothing more than players who can abuse other players who are terrible at defending problem areas.

Irrelevant.

This only shows a player can be extremely selfish and successful in a team sport. I do not care if it is a video game or 8 year olds playing in my local arena. It is a team sport and the game should make it nearly impossible to reward selfish play. A team cannot win with 1 single player, regardless if he is 6 years old or the best NHL player of all time. Why can't EA represent this in a game?
  • The best players know that passing and cycling is by far not the best way to win consistently.

Irrelevant.

This only shows a player can be extremely selfish and successful in a team sport. I do not care if it is a video game or 8 year olds playing in my local arena. It is a team sport and the game should make it nearly impossible to reward selfish play. A team cannot win with 1 single player, regardless if he is 6 years old or the best NHL player of all time. Why can't EA represent this in a game?

EA can’t “represent” team play in team based modes.

That’s up to the players.

EA gives you the tools to play the game the way you’d like. Certain Hockey IQ Gods hate it because they feel their Hockey IQ is being undermined by “8 year olds” who actually know how to play video games so they come here to tell EA how bad the game is.

Irrelevant.

The problem I have with the "it's a videogame" angle is that they forget the second half which is "of a major sport". A major sport that has set rules and a following (even if that following doesn't compare to other major sports in the world).

If this was Gears of War, or Halo or Final Fantasy. Like something that was completely made up by the devs, then I'd agree 100%. But it's a video game called NHL which contains "H" for Hockey. Now I would get it of the players involved at the highest level played a more condensed, faster paced version of hockey. But most of these elite players don't even play any semblance of it. They use the LT abuse more than they use the RT to pass on a breakout. Even when they're in the offensive zone, it's more about dancing around with ONE player than setting up a cycling play in the perimeter like you would in... y'know... hockey.

Passing is an afterthought, at least until they see the AI leave their mark and they have the chance for the patented open backdoor one-timers. Penalty kills are a chance to attack rather than doing what any SANE hockey team would do with a man down, which is to conserve energy, play it safe and keep dumping the puck every chance they get. And don't even get me started on goalies freezing the puck with heavy traffic in front of them.

But it is what it is. Some people might like it and I say good for them. Some people like Mario Kart 8. Some others like Formula One 2019.

• WainGretSki
    2985 posts Member
    edited August 12
    The best players know that passing and cycling is by far not the best way to win consistently.

Irrelevant.

EA can’t “represent” team play in team based modes.

That’s up to the players.

EA gives you the tools to play the game the way you’d like. Certain Hockey IQ Gods hate it because they feel their Hockey IQ is being undermined by “8 year olds” who actually know how to play video games so they come here to tell EA how bad the game is.

Anyways, EA makes the game. They give you the tools. Funny how alot of these tools allow players to be completely selfish and successful instead of having logical tools for both sides of the puck. If you think that it is completely and totally fine that 1 single player can dance everywhere with the puck and still win alot of his games in a sprt that absolutely requires team play to win, then all the power to you and sadly I cannot agree on it.

[Socair - edited for call out]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Irrelevant.

The problem I have with the "it's a videogame" angle is that they forget the second half which is "of a major sport". A major sport that has set rules and a following (even if that following doesn't compare to other major sports in the world).

If this was Gears of War, or Halo or Final Fantasy. Like something that was completely made up by the devs, then I'd agree 100%. But it's a video game called NHL which contains "H" for Hockey. Now I would get it of the players involved at the highest level played a more condensed, faster paced version of hockey. But most of these elite players don't even play any semblance of it. They use the LT abuse more than they use the RT to pass on a breakout. Even when they're in the offensive zone, it's more about dancing around with ONE player than setting up a cycling play in the perimeter like you would in... y'know... hockey.

Passing is an afterthought, at least until they see the AI leave their mark and they have the chance for the patented open backdoor one-timers. Penalty kills are a chance to attack rather than doing what any SANE hockey team would do with a man down, which is to conserve energy, play it safe and keep dumping the puck every chance they get. And don't even get me started on goalies freezing the puck with heavy traffic in front of them.

But it is what it is. Some people might like it and I say good for them. Some people like Mario Kart 8. Some others like Formula One 2019.

Completely agree. In any level of hockey, the team that plays the most as a team and gells properly as a team has a much bigger chance to win.

Wayne Gretzky, who is without contest the best NHL player of all time has close to 900 goals and 2000 assists.

He has more than twice the amount of goals in assists.... Best player of all time passed the puck twice as much as he buried it.
  • If you think that it is completely and totally fine that 1 single player can dance everywhere with the puck and still win alot of his games in a sprt that absolutely requires team play to win, then all the power to you and sadly I cannot agree on it.

If 1 player is 'dancing everywhere with the puck' - you have a defense problem.