EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Serious feedback: open dialogue as this community wants this series to get back to its roots.

Replies

• If you think that it is completely and totally fine that 1 single player can dance everywhere with the puck and still win alot of his games in a sprt that absolutely requires team play to win, then all the power to you and sadly I cannot agree on it.

If 1 player is 'dancing everywhere with the puck' - you have a defense problem.

Come on. You saw the finals. Those were absolutely 2 top players that knew how to play both sides of the puck, and yet, they were both dancing around everywhere and not passing a whole lot.

Your response is right for the most part, but it does not cover every situation. There are some players that will give you hell on defense because they are that good with the puck and the game's shortcomings on D.
  • rblaze1988
    36 posts Member
    edited August 12
    The best players know that passing and cycling is by far not the best way to win consistently.

Lots of players see success in this.
    It is pure opposite of what the sport actually is.

The GWC - Gaming World Championship. This is not the Hockey World Championships.
    Watching these guys play is nothing more than watchmaking who can abuse the most and take advantage of all the shortcomings in this game and it has been this way for over 10 years.

It will be this way forever. These are videogames. If you're looking for a videogame to capture the real-life sport with 100% accuracy - I have some bad news for you...

Edit: I'd also like to point out, for the most part, the 'abuse' you see is nothing more than players who can abuse other players who are terrible at defending problem areas.

You are free to agree or not, just as any one of us is free to disagree with you. I happen to disagree with you and your explanation.

I think this goes without saying?

Really? You honestly think they couldn’t capture the sport more accurately? I’m not talking about 100% accuracy but at least 95%. Have you ever played golf video games or gran turismo games or other racing games? Heck even the ps2 gran turismos were pretty darn accurate. The ea fight night games were pretty accurate as well and they followed all the rules and if you tried to not follow the rules based on the mechanics of the sport then you were punished for it and would not really do all that well so for you to just say that this is as good as it gets because it’s just a video game is a pure cop out and a logical fallacy used to strong arm a discussion toward your view point. (Which you seem to be implying is the right point of view and everyone should just agree to it and keep their mouths shut).

Post edited by rblaze1988 on
  • Follisimo
    747 posts Member
    edited August 13
    rblaze1988 wrote: »
    The best players know that passing and cycling is by far not the best way to win consistently.

The GWC - Gaming World Championship. This is not the Hockey World Championships.
    Watching these guys play is nothing more than watchmaking who can abuse the most and take advantage of all the shortcomings in this game and it has been this way for over 10 years.

It will be this way forever. These are videogames. If you're looking for a videogame to capture the real-life sport with 100% accuracy - I have some bad news for you...

Edit: I'd also like to point out, for the most part, the 'abuse' you see is nothing more than players who can abuse other players who are terrible at defending problem areas.

You are free to agree or not, just as any one of us is free to disagree with you. I happen to disagree with you and your explanation.

Really? You honestly think they couldn’t capture the sport more accurately? I’m not talking about 100% accuracy but at least 95%. Have you ever played golf video games or gran turismo games or other racing games? Heck even the ps2 gran turismos were pretty darn accurate. The ea fight night games were pretty accurate as well and they followed all the rules and if you tried to not follow the rules based on the mechanics of the sport then you were punished for it and would not really do all that well so for you to just say that this is as good as it gets because it’s just a video game is a pure cop out and a logical fallacy used to strong arm a discussion toward your view point. (Which you seem to be implying is the right point of view and everyone should just agree to it and keep their mouths shut).

It's been said way back in the early PS360 days by an EA Dev they try to make the game realistic to a degree but it has to be fun also for the non hardcore. It isn't a cop out saying it's a video game. FIFA doesn't play like real life soccer, Madden doesn't play like real football, NBA2K doesn't play like real basketball.
    Even back in the day Fight Night had the wiggle waggers who would abuse the spin and it was quite effective.

Sports titles have always been on the verge of showing a semi realistic version of the game while having lots of WOW moments. People will want to play a more real life experience and that is probably only gonna be capable in offline play with tuner adjustments.

The online community will play the game that is given to them and find whatever works and use it. I mean there is a reason people want custom attributes returned. It's so they can create the all in one players that can do it all. Instead we have set builds that equate to 3rd line border 2nd line plugs to keep people from being 1 man shows in EASHL.

To me the 2 biggest abuse for NHL 19 area..

1.) LTing (which is addressed for NHL 20)
    2.) Running into people without using the check animation because it's super effective and can push people offside nicely too (We had Left stick hitting but everyone turned it off because it caused penalties when they may have been trying to move and instead it went for a hit)

• Follisimo wrote: »

It's been said way back in the early PS360 days by an EA Dev they try to make the game realistic to a degree but it has to be fun also for the non hardcore. It isn't a cop out saying it's a video game. FIFA doesn't play like real life soccer, Madden doesn't play like real football, NBA2K doesn't play like real basketball.
    Even back in the day Fight Night had the wiggle waggers who would abuse the spin and it was quite effective.

Sports titles have always been on the verge of showing a semi realistic version of the game while having lots of WOW moments. People will want to play a more real life experience and that is probably only gonna be capable in offline play with tuner adjustments.

The online community will play the game that is given to them and find whatever works and use it. I mean there is a reason people want custom attributes returned. It's so they can create the all in one players that can do it all. Instead we have set builds that equate to 3rd line border 2nd line plugs to keep people from being 1 man shows in EASHL.

2.) Running into people without using the check animation because it's super effective and can push people offside nicely too (We had Left stick hitting but everyone turned it off because it caused penalties when they may have been trying to move and instead it went for a hit)

Ok fair but all i really want is the whole team mobilizing mechanic gone where you can hold onto the puck behind your net for half a period and that mobilizes your team AI offensively and defensively. Increases your luck and you skate up the ice and score a goal as a result. I have had this happen to me several times and i have been able to reproduce it very accurately. Also why when the other team is breaking up every play nailing every hit winning every faceoff and their goalie is nigh unstoppable in every aspect does my team play like they are made of jello and have no interest in performing any single action to deter the other team. It happens far too often for me and it’s super frustrating. Fix all that and fix the network issues by adding dedicated servers and I’ll happily buy your game.

• MooseHunter10
    400 posts Member
    edited August 13
    The GWC showcased the people who play this game the best, and the 'hockey IQ' gods always look down their nose at those.

The GWC showcased that this game isn't mean to be played at a high level 1v1. NHL is a lot of fun 1v1 between casuals, and I agree with EA placing the target there. Replace the AIs with Humans and you've got a better competitive product.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Sadly, it's not even EA's fault for this failing. If you have ever watched any Youtube or Twitch stream, they actively talk down about 6s hockey. Things like "it's boring" and "it would never get any views" is what most of the community says.

Free marketing is too valuable, developers have to keep their big streamers happy. I get that. What I dont get is why the EASHL settings have to be the same as the 1v1. When the 1v1 streamers complain about the beta tuner making scoring hard, why does that affect EASHL?
    EASHL player
  • rblaze1988 wrote: »
    Follisimo wrote: »

Ok fair but all i really want is the whole team mobilizing mechanic gone where you can hold onto the puck behind your net for half a period and that mobilizes your team AI offensively and defensively. Increases your luck and you skate up the ice and score a goal as a result. I have had this happen to me several times and i have been able to reproduce it very accurately. Also why when the other team is breaking up every play nailing every hit winning every faceoff and their goalie is nigh unstoppable in every aspect does my team play like they are made of jello and have no interest in performing any single action to deter the other team. It happens far too often for me and it’s super frustrating. Fix all that and fix the network issues by adding dedicated servers and I’ll happily buy your game.

I believe competitive HUT and EASHL are on dedicated servers.

As for the other thing I think we have all experienced this several times. I just assume it's a mechanic to mix up the experience from game to game. It's what also leads people to go for the "always" goals for the most part.
  • VeNOM2099
    2612 posts Member
    edited August 13
    The GWC showcased the people who play this game the best, and the 'hockey IQ' gods always look down their nose at those.

The GWC showcased that this game isn't mean to be played at a high level 1v1. NHL is a lot of fun 1v1 between casuals, and I agree with EA placing the target there. Replace the AIs with Humans and you've got a better competitive product.

Sadly, it's not even EA's fault for this failing. If you have ever watched any Youtube or Twitch stream, they actively talk down about 6s hockey. Things like "it's boring" and "it would never get any views" is what most of the community says.

Free marketing is too valuable, developers have to keep their big streamers happy. I get that. What I dont get is why the EASHL settings have to be the same as the 1v1. When the 1v1 streamers complain about the beta tuner making scoring hard, why does that affect EASHL?

Because all online modes use the same settings. There are a few subtle differences between them, but it's mostly the same; Preset 3 (competitive) IIRC.

I don't understand why each mode (VS., HUT and EASHL) can't have different presets. HUT should keep the current "competitive" sliders. VS should be emphasizing good team play while keeping it "fun" so it should be a cross between HUT and EASHL settings. And EASHL should be the toughest of the online modes with FULL SIM sliders (Preset 4). Also club games should be bumped up to 6 minute periods instead of 4. Slow down the game a few notches too so players can take their time to set up good plays rather than try to dance around everyone on the ice.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Because all online modes use the same settings. There are a few subtle differences between them, but it's mostly the same; Preset 3 (competitive) IIRC.

I don't understand why each mode (VS., HUT and EASHL) can't have different presets. HUT should keep the current "competitive" sliders. VS should be emphasizing good team play while keeping it "fun" so it should be a cross between HUT and EASHL settings. And EASHL should be the toughest of the online modes with FULL SIM sliders (Preset 4). Also club games should be bumped up to 6 minute periods instead of 4. Slow down the game a few notches too so players can take their time to set up good plays rather than try to dance around everyone on the ice.

The reason all 3 are so similar is so that people can jump between the modes without noticing huge differences if any at all. And 83 in HUT should be like an 83 in VS like an 83 in EASHL. And no one is gonna want 6min periods. They didn't even want 5min periods. Instead of listening to what the minority of a mode want they should listen to the majority.
  • VeNOM2099
    2612 posts Member
    edited August 14

The reason all 3 are so similar is so that people can jump between the modes without noticing huge differences if any at all. And 83 in HUT should be like an 83 in VS like an 83 in EASHL. And no one is gonna want 6min periods. They didn't even want 5min periods. Instead of listening to what the minority of a mode want they should listen to the majority.

My father would pose the question: "So just because everyone around you wants to jump off a bridge, you should too?"

Look, I'm sure there are MILLIONS of people that listen to Polka, does that make it good music and we should force everyone to listen to it on the radio 24/7? (I'm kidding by the way, if you love Polka, you are absolutely lovely! Just not my type of music! :p )

Like MUSIC, Video Games should allow for different tastes. Some people like Arcade settings. Some others like Sim settings.To me, it would be more logical (and beneficial to the growth of this series) if EA would allow both. Maybe have 3s remain with the quick and "fun" settings some people like. While 6s gives you a more sedated and down to earth environment where people can THINK rather than REACT. I mean, it is what's supposed to be the closest to real hockey, no?

• Follisimo
    747 posts Member
    edited August 14

My father would pose the question: "So just because everyone around you wants to jump off a bridge, you should too?"

Look, I'm sure there are MILLIONS of people that listen to Polka, does that make it good music and we should force everyone to listen to it on the radio 24/7? (I'm kidding by the way, if you love Polka, you are absolutely lovely! Just not my type of music! :p )

Like MUSIC, Video Games should allow for different tastes. Some people like Arcade settings. Some others like Sim settings.To me, it would be more logical (and beneficial to the growth of this series) if EA would allow both. Maybe have 3s remain with the quick and "fun" settings some people like. While 6s gives you a more sedated and down to earth environment where people can THINK rather than REACT. I mean, it is what's supposed to be the closest to real hockey, no?

When I turn on FIFA I see a soccer game.
    When I turn on NBA I see a basketball game.
    When I turn on Madden I see a football game.
    When I turn on NHL I see a hockey game.
    It's undeniable it's the sport it is. I can walk the streets and show strangers videos asking them what this game looks like and I bet they say the sport. Now does it play like the real life sports? Nope because it's just not the experience majority want.

The games are literally like 70% realistic and 30% WOWness. You're NEVER gonna get authentic EVER. THE END
  • rblaze1988
    36 posts Member
    edited August 14

It's undeniable it's the sport it is. I can walk the streets and show strangers videos asking them what this game looks like and I bet they say the sport. Now does it play like the real life sports? Nope because it's just not the experience majority want.

The games are literally like 70% realistic and 30% WOWness. You're NEVER gonna get authentic EVER. THE END

You can easily get close to 90-95% tho i mean we have the technology for it they just don’t have the funding for that kid of development from EA in my opinion. If this series sold 10 million+ copies each year you better be sure they’d have that funding and you better believe they’d be fixing all the crap that’s in the competitive modes in the game.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Follismo, I think we're both in agreement that EA's NHL is a great casual 1v1 hockey title. Where we disagree is that that means they cannot also make a balanced competitive 6v6 mode.
    The reason all 3 are so similar is so that people can jump between the modes without noticing huge differences if any at all.
    This makes perfect sense too. They did break the similarities by removing ai actions from HUT. Playing a single game of HUT throws me off, as the way to abuse AIs is different in HUT than EASHL. This unique mode change was to better the competitiveness of HUT, isnt that what the streamers would say?
    So why can't EASHL, or just 6s Club EASHL, or just Div 1 6s Club EASHL, have a unique mode change to improve the competitiveness?

EASHL player
  • VeNOM2099
    2612 posts Member
    edited August 14

I don't agree... But you didn't answer my question: "If everyone else jumps off a bridge because they thought it was a good Idea, would you?".

It's a hypothetical question. Not meant to be taken seriously. The point I'm trying to make is that just because many people said something, doesn't make it a worthwhile endeavor.

So the idea that EA should change the game based on "the majority"... I just can't get behind that notion. Change the game by adding features and options that most people want? Sure. But not the gameplay. If anything EA should be taking the advice of professional hockey players on how to make the game play than people that just play EA's videogame version of it.

That's my 2 centavos...

• Sinbin
    1324 posts Member

I don't agree... But you didn't answer my question: "If everyone else jumps off a bridge because they thought it was a good Idea, would you?".

It's a hypothetical question. Not meant to be taken seriously. The point I'm trying to make is that just because many people said something, doesn't make it a worthwhile endeavor.

So the idea that EA should change the game based on "the majority"... I just can't get behind that notion. Change the game by adding features and options that most people want? Sure. But not the gameplay. If anything EA should be taking the advice of professional hockey players on how to make the game play than people that just play EA's videogame version of it.

That's my 2 centavos...

You can play realistic hockey. The people that play this game choose not to.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

That's my 2 centavos...

It’s because it’s easier to play the game unrealistic than realistic. I think that was the point he was trying to make.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »

That's my 2 centavos...

It’s because it’s easier to play the game unrealistic than realistic. I think that was the point he was trying to make.

Not easier, just more... profitable. Kinda like living in a world with no rules, no law. Sure you COULD live your life being just, fair and never doing wrong. But everyone else does it without consequences, so what's to stop you from doing the same?

To me it's a matter of principle. Rather than debase myself and sink to their level, I chose NOT to play this "game".

If "skill" means doing whatever it takes to win, whether that be cheating or bending the rules, then I choose to remain "skill-less".

• Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

That's my 2 centavos...

That's still a choice to take the easy route than the realistic one. Guys that go for the cheese can be pretty easy to shut down though too. They're very predictable.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1121 posts Member
    edited August 19
    That shouldn't be the focus of the game though, this is not Cheese Fest 20, Shut Down the Cheese 20 or whatever. Why should I have to play this boring repetitive (and so wrong) defence, when it's the other guy(s) who is/are abusing the game?

It's bit like when you have this one player who's ruining the game for everybody else with not passing, always going offside etc. It kills the game, and your enthusiasm to play at the same time. Different case (one solvable by introducing votes to kick etc.) but the same results.

It should be clear after all these years that there's a huge number of players, who are only out there to win at any cost or to troll the game. And they ruin any 'real' hockey experience you might have. Sucks if you want to play hockey, so your options are to try to bear it (EASHL sixes are the best place for it), join the trolls, or just simply give up on the game. Sad innit?
    Post edited by Sgt_Kelso on
  • Sinbin wrote: »

That's my 2 centavos...

That's still a choice to take the easy route than the realistic one. Guys that go for the cheese can be pretty easy to shut down though too. They're very predictable.

Which makes for an entirely boring game to play. There shouldn’t be any “cheese areas” at all. Goalies are easily misrepresented in their skill and agility when it comes to there position with this series. Many will say top of the circle is a cheese “area”, though the top of the circle is about 30 feet out and usually stopped most of the time, especially if it’s unscreened.

I wonder what people think is a high scoring chance in NHL that goes in a majority of the time. Because the way these games make out for them to be isn’t even close to realistic.

I saw a video i think it was from someone that’s does the coverage/broadcast for the New York Rangers and he went into depth about scoring areas. I wish I can find that video again because it greatly detailed even if you were in a good scoring area, the goalies still stopped most of them.
  • Sinbin
    1324 posts Member

Which makes for an entirely boring game to play. There shouldn’t be any “cheese areas” at all. Goalies are easily misrepresented in their skill and agility when it comes to there position with this series. Many will say top of the circle is a cheese “area”, though the top of the circle is about 30 feet out and usually stopped most of the time, especially if it’s unscreened.

I wonder what people think is a high scoring chance in NHL that goes in a majority of the time. Because the way these games make out for them to be isn’t even close to realistic.

I saw a video i think it was from someone that’s does the coverage/broadcast for the New York Rangers and he went into depth about scoring areas. I wish I can find that video again because it greatly detailed even if you were in a good scoring area, the goalies still stopped most of them.

I agree it doesn't make for a fun game. Regardless, I still find it fun. Not going for exploits, but playing how I want to play. On defense, yeah, it's both boring and frustrating, but not every single game is like that. Some guys catch on to what you're doing and adjust their play.

As far as high percentage scoring areas go, you see those same goals in real hockey. Yeah, not so much unscreened, but the majority of the shots against me aren't wide open, unscreened shots. They at least have to fight to get to those areas of the ice. If they can do that, that's on me for not defending well.

Call them cheese areas if you want, but those same areas are very frequently scored from in real hockey.