EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

I take it back......

Replies

• I didn’t say and I apologize if it was implied cross crease passes are bad shots or shouldn’t go in. The beta played no different to me the goalies were no better or more difficult to score on.

You can stil crouch while on the breakaway and not be hit by a defender coming from the opposite board even though it’s perfectly lined up.

I get protecting the puck and not being bumped off it happens in the nhl but what isn’t being fixed it net to net crouching not being able to be hit and making the cross crease for the goal after every defeder has taken a run and not been able to hit the passing player.

And if there are ways to defend and sweet spot guaranteed goals it should be included in the instructions not something that has been picked up because the game hasn’t changed in 10 years.

I have not lost in the beta I shouldn’t complain but it isn’t as marketed a whole new feel. Other than the scoreboard is in a different place.

All of us can agree to disagree and all of us have the choice to buy it or not.

And since they put this out as a beta for testing and feedback we all are entitled to our opinions. I don’t play 3’s or 6’s maybe these things discussed don’t occur like they do vs AI or a single user team game.

But the experience I have had with the beta is the game is no different other than the aesthetics of the display.
  • I only played 2 periods before deleting it off my console. It played and felt the exact same as NHL 19 with lipstick.

Hopefully NHL 21 will have more depth cause 20 is a no go for me.
  • KidShowtime1867
    950 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    I only played 2 periods before deleting it off my console. It played and felt the exact same as NHL 19 with lipstick.

lol if you think this felt exactly like 19 you didn’t play it.

Whatever side you sit on (for the worse or the better) it feels very different than 19 - picking a puck up mid-stride alone changes it up. Not to mention the new shots give a new feel.

• LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    The only reason I haven't pre-orderd the game is because I was afraid of puck ragging and figure skating coming back.

EASHL wasn't bad but in online versus it was quite easy to rag the puck.

It is only the beta, but if NHL 20 full release has puck ragging in it, I think ill skip it. I've seen enough of that over the last few years. last years fiasco with puck ragging was more than enough to make me skeptical about buying NHL 20.

Am hoping for a fix on puck ragging again, I guess we will see.

New shots and goalie animations are great.
  • bryta47
    244 posts Member
    I only played 2 periods before deleting it off my console. It played and felt the exact same as NHL 19 with lipstick.

Whatever side you sit on (for the worse or the better) it feels very different than 19 - picking a puck up mid-stride alone changes it up. Not to mention the new shots give a new feel.

Yeah. Lipstick. As he said.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2481 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Maybe I missed them playing D but these pickups/shots were nowhere to be felt or seen (however I did see a really wonky looking one knee shot from the goal line).

The game has some minor polish but imo it is not worthy of a $90 day one purchase.

Just not for me this time around.
  • Not sure what I'm going to be more excited about, saving $60 this year out or coming to the forums and watching everyone complain.
  • bryta47
    244 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    No NHL game the last couple of years have been worth an AAA premium game price tag. The changes are so minor every year it's a stretch even calling them patches. And judging by the beta NHL 20 looks to be the most underwhelming update to this date.

And why EA is releasing an old version of the beta with a forumpost of "fixes" is beyond me. Something fishy about it, like they're hiding something... Perhaps they are very behind schedule. I don't know. No buy this year nevertheless.

[Socair - edited call out]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • I only played 2 periods before deleting it off my console. It played and felt the exact same as NHL 19 with lipstick.

Um, his comment about being the same as 19 is actually very precise, just that he is 4 months too early. Give it till the 2nd or 3rd patch and you will see it his way.

Picking up in stride animations are great, I'll give that.

Puck pickups were a bit improved. but I never had the issue in the first place. I did see a few occasions where other players seemed to struggle a bit at times with this.

New goalie deflections is pretty sweet although the Threat Analysis seems to be nowhere near what was announced. Don't remember if all this is addressed in the patch notes, so I'll assume this is the case. Don't care to look it up at this point.

L2 abuse fix did not give me the impression it works as intended. Players are just doing in and out 90 degree pivots better than an Olympic figure skater while maintaining control of a puck no less...
  • L2 abuse fix did not give me the impression it works as intended. Players are just doing in and out 90 degree pivots better than an Olympic figure skater while maintaining control of a puck no less...

I watched a streamer abuse the heck out of this. If the guy turns his back and is back skating with speed he needs to instantly lose the puck when getting jarred.

Having tree trunk legs like Crosby and planting those legs in the corner is one sting but brushing off collisions while backdating is nowhere near where it should be.

@KidShowtime1867 I'm not saying it is an awful game, it is far from it, definitely an improvement over 19 ... but not a big enough improvement to warrant a $90 CDN purchase. Likely going to be a Black Friday deal for me.
  • L2 abuse fix did not give me the impression it works as intended. Players are just doing in and out 90 degree pivots better than an Olympic figure skater while maintaining control of a puck no less...

I watched a streamer abuse the heck out of this. If the guy turns his back and is back skating with speed he needs to instantly lose the puck when getting jarred.

Having tree trunk legs like Crosby and planting those legs in the corner is one sting but brushing off collisions while backdating is nowhere near where it should be.

@KidShowtime1867 I'm not saying it is an awful game, it is far from it, definitely an improvement over 19 ... but not a big enough improvement to warrant a $90 CDN purchase. Likely going to be a Black Friday deal for me.

Yea no kidding. Players jerking around left and right and pivoting like table-top hockey. I think the pivot speed needs to be slowed down a bit and yes, agility needs to take a nose dive while pivoting. You can't brace for impact while dipsy doodling sideways.
  • @KidShowtime1867 I'm not saying it is an awful game, it is far from it, definitely an improvement over 19 ... but not a big enough improvement to warrant a $90 CDN purchase. Likely going to be a Black Friday deal for me.

How can it be an improvement when you say it's exactly like 19?
    It played and felt the exact same as NHL 19 with lipstick.
  • How can it be an improvement when you say it's exactly like 19?

Drop in has commentary. That's the improvement. Oh and playing on the Rideau Canal was cool too.

Gameplay by and large was the exact same.
  • How can it be an improvement when you say it's exactly like 19?

Drop in has commentary. That's the improvement. Oh and playing on the Rideau Canal was cool too.

Gameplay by and large was the exact same.

Also what I found cool is you get different rinks. Think I only saw 2 rinks (Rideau Canal was one of em) but maybe saw all 4 and just didn't notice. Great that at least it isn't always the same one.

Also they added a ton of ambient noises to the rinks. However, I am not a fan of that backup alarm (it's distracting and too frequent) but found the woodpecker to be a cool and slightly funny addition. Commentary was needed as well to liven up the experience which they added this year.
  • There isn’t anything new in game play those that are top players now will be top player in 20 not because they have to learn anything new but because the same glitch dss poke lift protect the puck is the same it’s not because they have faster twitch it’s because they know how to exploit the opportunities the game program presents.
  • I am honestly stunned that people actually think there have literally been no changes to the gameplay.

Honestly - I really don’t get it. I’m not saying it’s night and day but man there’s a pretty big difference between the two. If you honestly truly believe there is literally no difference in gameplay from NHL19 to NHL20 there are no words.
  • I havent played 19 since what, November? Maybe if I was still playing it then played the beta I would notice the differences.

19 beta absolutely blew my mind with the new skating. 20 beta just felt felt like a cosmetic upgrade.

Probably would've turned more heads if they released a more updated version of the game? I dunno.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    I am honestly stunned that people actually think there have literally been no changes to the gameplay.

Honestly - I really don’t get it. I’m not saying it’s night and day but man there’s a pretty big difference between the two. If you honestly truly believe there is literally no difference in gameplay from NHL19 to NHL20 there are no words.

The thing is, I don't really find there are big differences between the two. Yea sure pickup and pass receiving animations are really great and look good.

But in the grand scheme of things people played the beta as they do 19. All in all, they played pretty much the same. I think that is what people mean when they say they don't really see a difference between the two, and I would agree for the most part. I was defending the same plays, the same spots, and pretty much the same way I would in 19.

The biggest change I saw was mostly how goalies controlled certain rebounds alot better than 19. Especially low shots stick side were very well controlled rebounds.

Had we gotten a beta with all the listed fixes not in the beta, I think it would have made a very big difference between 19 an 20. I am expecting the release to feel alot different from the beta, so long as all those listed fixes are indeed implemented and work as intended.
    Post edited by WainGretSki on
  • VeNOM2099
    2877 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    L2 abuse fix did not give me the impression it works as intended. Players are just doing in and out 90 degree pivots better than an Olympic figure skater while maintaining control of a puck no less...

Yea no kidding. Players jerking around left and right and pivoting like table-top hockey. I think the pivot speed needs to be slowed down a bit and yes, agility needs to take a nose dive while pivoting. You can't brace for impact while dipsy-doodling sideways.

The solution is simple, and I found it playing a 10 year old game (NHL 2K8); you just CAN'T skate backwards while skating forward into the zone. If you hold LT (back skate) while moving forward into the offensive zone it does NOTHING!

Only once you get into the offensive zone, does it work. And then it only allows you to face the play, not skate backwards.

Such a simple fix. And yet...

But like @Taste-D-Rainbow said, it's not that the BETA was horrible. It's that the vibe you get from the gameplay is just more NHL 19, or rather what NHL 19 should've been with an extra patch to fix some of the issues. Goalies are for the most part the SAME. Offense is the same. Defense is the same... AI is the same (still dumb). The only thing that's new are some shooting animations. Some goalie animations. And the announcers for Drop-in games.

This is all stuff that could've been added through a 2 GB patch last year.... Ok, maybe 4 GB.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Yea no kidding. Players jerking around left and right and pivoting like table-top hockey. I think the pivot speed needs to be slowed down a bit and yes, agility needs to take a nose dive while pivoting. You can't brace for impact while dipsy-doodling sideways.

The solution is simple, and I found it playing a 10 year old game (NHL 2K8); you just CAN'T skate backwards while skating forward into the zone. If you hold LT (back skate) while moving forward into the offensive zone it does NOTHING!

Only once you get into the offensive zone, does it work. And then it only allows you to face the play, not skate backwards.

Such a simple fix. And yet...

But like @Taste-D-Rainbow said, it's not that the BETA was horrible. It's that the vibe you get from the gameplay is just more NHL 19, or rather what NHL 19 should've been with an extra patch to fix some of the issues. Goalies are for the most part the SAME. Offense is the same. Defense is the same... AI is the same (still dumb). The only thing that's new are some shooting animations. Some goalie animations. And the announcers for Drop-in games.

This is all stuff that could've been added through a 2 GB patch last year.... Ok, maybe 4 GB.

I do not agree with that fix. What if I want to backskate in my zone, or or near center ice to change my angle on my passing lane? I want that option.

The solution isn't to prevent doing things. It is putting logical limitations when you do them. In this case, while transitioning from back to front or vice versa, your agility should hit the floor and make you incredibly open to physical contact. Even the smallest and lightest Sniper should be able to mow you down while pivoting like that. It should not under any circumstance allow you to shrug off body checks as it currently does. I don't get why it isn't that simple of a fix.

While you are pirouetting, you have 0 bracing for impact and are at your most vulnerable to physical play. Simple.