EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

We need drop-in lobbies again

Prev1
Title says all. This game needs a HUB. Those lobbies connected everyone together. People used mics more. Formed friendships and clubs from these lobbies. Here we are years later and the community is smaller and more disconnected than ever.

Probably my #1 EA "if it ain't broke dont fix it" moment.

Replies

• FULLY AGREED.
  • zingaa1
    405 posts Member
    RIP ......
  • Yup! Please bring back!!!

12-man-lobby.jpg
  • Yup! Please bring back!!!

12-man-lobby.jpg

Amazing. Simplicity always reigns supreme.
  • renamed57635
    207 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Id rather have the otp lobbies from old gen where 50 people sat in a room and people tried to organize pick up games and draft games.
  • Id rather have the otp lobbies from old gen where 50 people sat in a room and people tried to organize pick up games and draft games.

Yes, that's what OP meant. They could maybe set it up a bit better and make some tweaks, but that's the best way to setup games, especially when the player base is scattered like it is now. You should keep the matchmaker for new players, but definitely add the lobby system back.
  • A dev responded to a similar post of mine a couple of years ago claiming that drop in lobbies were "old technology"

It worked. The only negative thing was people spamming in the chat... but that shouldn't be an issue if you just limit messages like 1 every 10 seconds. And the swear filters now are insane that wouldn't be an issue either.

In my opinion this is a big must and I don't seem to be alone here. So please guys at EA. Make this somewhat of a priority. I can't imagine it being too hard when it was already there in past games.

Again, it promotes team play more, promotes members of the community uniting and most importantly it makes it far easier to find and play games.
  • 100%. Lobbies were key.

Stay at home D looking for top club.
  • I can still find games on NHL15 for PS3 because of the lobby system. "Old technology" that worked! You could even make password protected lobbies and just play game after game with your friends all night, it was great. Everyone would sit in the middle and 2 captains would draft teams.
  • I can still find games on NHL15 for PS3 because of the lobby system. "Old technology" that worked! You could even make password protected lobbies and just play game after game with your friends all night, it was great. Everyone would sit in the middle and 2 captains would draft teams.

Agreed. My earliest days of playing were doing the whole draft lobby thing. Was great. Lots of good games, fun conversation and friendly competition.
  • Fully agreed. Was great and simple. Definitely add the lobby system back!
  • I'd really love to have a dev weigh in again and at least explain why they aren't doing it as I think that "old tech" explanation is a bit of a cop out. This would DRASTICALLY improve the community and match making.
  • Id rather have the otp lobbies from old gen where 50 people sat in a room and people tried to organize pick up games and draft games.

Yes, that's what OP meant. They could maybe set it up a bit better and make some tweaks, but that's the best way to setup games, especially when the player base is scattered like it is now. You should keep the matchmaker for new players, but definitely add the lobby system back.

Yeah for sure keep the drop in function. Games filled up so quickly because you would have a few from the lobby and then a few dropping in.

Yeah for sure keep the drop in function. Games filled up so quickly because you would have a few from the lobby and then a few dropping in.

Yup that's how it was in NHL14/15 last gen. I used the matchmaker before I even discovered the lobby system. After discovering it I was like holy crap this is way better lol
  • @EA_Roger Will we be able to get an updated and better drop-in system for NHL 20 to allow us to have an OTP HUB? How about you guy's help us with at least creating our own ranked drop-in game sessions and changing the arena to either "INSIDE or "OUTSIDE, with another option with the chose to have actual NHL teams.
  • KrAzY887x wrote: »
    @EA_Roger Will we be able to get an updated and better drop-in system for NHL 20 to allow us to have an OTP HUB? How about you guy's help us with at least creating our own ranked drop-in game sessions and changing the arena to either "INSIDE or "OUTSIDE, with another option with the chose to have actual NHL teams.

As for rink selection I'd rather see this.. while in the lobby after the teams and jersey's are picked I would like to see an arena vote system.. display 3-5 rinks and everyone in the lobby gets 5 seconds to vote which one we play.. after 5 seconds if the voting is tied then the rinks that are tied will be decided by random pick.
  • A dev responded to a similar post of mine a couple of years ago claiming that drop in lobbies were "old technology"

It worked. The only negative thing was people spamming in the chat... but that shouldn't be an issue if you just limit messages like 1 every 10 seconds. And the swear filters now are insane that wouldn't be an issue either.

In my opinion this is a big must and I don't seem to be alone here. So please guys at EA. Make this somewhat of a priority. I can't imagine it being too hard when it was already there in past games.

Again, it promotes team play more, promotes members of the community uniting and most importantly it makes it far easier to find and play games.

Ben said the lobby system was abandoned because it wasn't really being used all that much according to the info they collected at the time. It was deemed that resources were not worth being used for lobbies.

Ben said the lobby system was abandoned because it wasn't really being used all that much according to the info they collected at the time. It was deemed that resources were not worth being used for lobbies.

It was used lots when NHL15 for PS3 was still the newest game. It would have been used much more if people actually knew about it. It was kinda hidden in a few menu's so you had to stumble upon it by yourself or someone had to tell you. Near the end of the game it was SUPER popular.

It's definitely the way to go, just don't hide it.
  • WainGretSki
    3493 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    A dev responded to a similar post of mine a couple of years ago claiming that drop in lobbies were "old technology"

It was used lots when NHL15 for PS3 was still the newest game. It would have been used much more if people actually knew about it. It was kinda hidden in a few menu's so you had to stumble upon it by yourself or someone had to tell you. Near the end of the game it was SUPER popular.

It's definitely the way to go, just don't hide it.

I agree it's the way to go. 100%

But if we are going to be honest, there was usually one lobby that was full capacity or around 35 ish users, and about another 20 - 25 users scattered amongst 3 or 4 other lobbies. So I wouldn't say it was used lots.

I will agree it was probably not obvious enough to find, or alot of people were just happy to click search now for regular dropins and not pass through lobbies.
  • Everything old gen was far superior to what we have now. It literally gets worse every year. They slowly remove things that were good & slowly add stupid stuff. Oh yeah, they never really bother to fix anything. Goalies still can't find a puck sitting there at your feet even though you can see it. Fact is, they really don't care & they're sitting there laughing at us. I have xero plans on buying '20. I had way more fun in '12 & '14...