EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

NHL 20 Faces List

Replies

• Socair
    2371 posts Game Changer
    Froommey wrote: »
    @Socair.When do they add the 28 scanned faces from the NHLPA Upper Deck Rookie showcase they made two weeks ago to the game? Do you know that? Thx
    Don’t know, sorry.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Froommey
    791 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    @NHLDev .... so far extremely disappointed about this few scans so far. If there will be no big update in this, no buy for me. What is with this 28 scans from the NHLPA Upper Deck Rookie updates, was this for fun only ? Would be nice to get a statement about this. https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-18591/next-generation-of-players-headline-11th-annual-nhlpa-rookie-showcase
  • Froommey
    791 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    @NHLDev Started a new Thread in OP-Sports. 870 views in 2 days not bad. https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-nhl/957822-nhl-20-player-faces.html
  • WealthyFriends
    837 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    @NHLDev Started a new Thread in OP-Sports. 870 views in 2 days not bad. https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-nhl/957822-nhl-20-player-faces.html
    Developers and community manager are nowhere to be seen in EA's official forums.
  • Froommey wrote: »
    Developers and community manager are nowhere to be seen in EA's official forums.

Thx for advice, but will post it in Social networks too. I know they will be there sometimes. I can be very stubborn and obstinately when something seems important for me and guess for many, many others too.
  • rpmfdnhl
    78 posts Member
    edited September 2019

Thx for advice, but will post it in Social networks too. I know they will be there sometimes. I can be very stubborn and obstinately when something seems important for me and guess for many, many others too.

This has been going on for years, and while I can admire your passion about it, what makes you think it's going to change now all of a sudden? There are countless videos on youtube with lots of views ripping apart various titles by EA and nothing changes. They have one of the, if not the worst, reputations for a game publisher and yet they hold strong with their despicable business model that keeps the quality of their games in decline year after year.

Aren't you getting tired of this cycle? We have to walk away. We have to grow up, rid ourselves of this addiction, and walk away.
  • Froommey
    791 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »

Aren't you getting tired of this cycle? We have to walk away. We have to grow up, rid ourselves of this addiction, and walk away.

When I really want something, I never get tired. I think that most other people are too weak to achieve something. The crowd would make much possible if they were more assertive. If I really want something then I fight for it and do not stick my head in the sand. As my own Thread at OP-Sports from views shows that we are many which are interested to get more real faces, so we are many which wants this. We only need to show that EA.
  • NBA 2k absolutely blows NHL out of the water when it comes to face scans. They even got the players tattoos that’s how much they care for authentic looking players.
  • Yes I know, EA NHL is far from this. Only 30 face scans so far in 20. Most of them are Sharks. It seems they scanned most Players of the Sharks Team from last year. So they got love only for this Team
  • GramerProfesur
    531 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Seems like half the San Jose team got scanned a year ago and that’s why they’re in the game..

Justin Braun, Joakim Ryan, and Dylan Demelo (who played a full season with OTT last year) are scanned but Forsberg, Vasilevskiy, Ekholm, Chabot, Arvidsson and other stars are not

I have a concussion and can’t do it right now but probably going to try and use EA Game Face on FIFA 19 and see if I can scan some of these faces myself and see how they turn out. I used to do it when I was a kid playing RB6 and they came out really well, it is not that hard to scan photo from a picture and upload if technology is there. Should consider adding it to NHL 21 or in this game via patch.. would be huge
  • Seems like half the San Jose team got scanned a year ago and that’s why they’re in the game..

Justin Braun, Joakim Ryan, and Dylan Demelo (who played a full season with OTT last year) are scanned but Forsberg, Vasilevskiy, Ekholm, Chabot, Arvidsson and other stars are not

I have a concussion and can’t do it right now but probably going to try and use EA Game Face on FIFA 19 and see if I can scan some of these faces myself and see how they turn out. I used to do it when I was a kid playing RB6 and they came out really well, it is not that hard to scan photo from a picture and upload if technology is there. Should consider adding it to NHL 21 or in this game via patch.. would be huge

It seems the graphic department got only love for the Sharks this year.
  • Seems like half the San Jose team got scanned a year ago and that’s why they’re in the game..

Justin Braun, Joakim Ryan, and Dylan Demelo (who played a full season with OTT last year)

Chris Tierney, another former Shark detected as scanned. Very strange that they did most Sharks or former Sharks Player and made Face Scans from the whole Team time ago and didn’t that with other Teams.
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer

We have been quite busy with the launch of the game so I haven't been on here that much.

Face Scans is also not a topic that is really meant for me as I am the Gameplay Producer. Our creative director, presentation producer and art director don't have accounts on these forums so I usually send them relevant links for awareness.

The rookie showcase is a good event where you get a lot of new top players in one place so we usually scan there. I know those scans are the first piece in driving the chance for those scans to then be converted into in-game assets but it isn't a guarantee they will get in just because they were scanned.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

We have been quite busy with the launch of the game so I haven't been on here that much.

Face Scans is also not a topic that is really meant for me as I am the Gameplay Producer. Our creative director, presentation producer and art director don't have accounts on these forums so I usually send them relevant links for awareness.

The rookie showcase is a good event where you get a lot of new top players in one place so we usually scan there. I know those scans are the first piece in driving the chance for those scans to then be converted into in-game assets but it isn't a guarantee they will get in just because they were scanned.

Wouldn’t it best for them and us if they had accounts on the forums for they games they help create? Seems like more work for you to do yourself.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »

Wouldn’t it best for them and us if they had accounts on the forums for they games they help create? Seems like more work for you to do yourself.

Community manager should be the middle guy, apparently its too hard though.
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

You don't need an account to browse. I am just saying when I see things I pass them on in case they don't see them. It doesn't mean that they aren't actively listening to the community or that the Comms team isn't actively giving them feedback from the community as well.

This forum is a fairly small sample size overall relative to the community size and all forms of social media so there are a lot of places we monitor and take feedback from. This just happens to be one place I actively respond in when I have time.

EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

You don't need an account to browse. I am just saying when I see things I pass them on in case they don't see them. It doesn't mean that they aren't actively listening to the community or that the Comms team isn't actively giving them feedback from the community as well.

This forum is a fairly small sample size overall relative to the community size and all forms of social media so there are a lot of places we monitor and take feedback from. This just happens to be one place I actively respond in when I have time.

It’s certainly true about the forum being a small sample size of the overall community, but I feel like if there was say one person from the art team communicating with us about stuff, it would feel like over voices are heard. Just like how you come and talk and explain things to us, it adds a layer of communication that us feel like we’re be listen to.

How does MLB the Show do their faces? They don't scan all those faces, yet they have a reasonable face for each licensed player (40-man roster) until they do scan them. Is it some sort of modeling program, because they seem to be able to get a decent face for a new player rather quick? Whatever they're doing they've been doing for a while, it can't be that big of a secret.
  • GramerProfesur
    531 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »

How does MLB the Show do their faces? They don't scan all those faces, yet they have a reasonable face for each licensed player (40-man roster) until they do scan them. Is it some sort of modeling program, because they seem to be able to get a decent face for a new player rather quick? Whatever they're doing they've been doing for a while, it can't be that big of a secret.

Probably something similar to EA Game Face in that they use images online to create the faces. That’s likely how they do it in FIFA too. I highly, highly doubt they sit down all the players and physically scan them like NHL. It makes no sense to do it this way other than the big names. You’ll get just as good faces with a good design system. Like I mentioned before I was really good at scanning faces in Rainbow Six with the Xbox live camera. That technology (face recognition and scan software not the camera) is a decade old.. you really just need a good front scan and can use the sides of a generic person to make a good scan.

It’s embarrassing they haven’t implemented this. I’m downloading FIFA 19 soon from EA Access to see how well it works, but from seeing it I imagine I could get a near perfect face of an NHL star scanned onto the player using just photos online.

• As a side note to all of this, I really wonder how much QA/testing goes on for the faces that do get scanned. Some players look downright strange (ex. Gaudreau) and helmets fit very strangely on certain players (ex. oversized helmets on Panarin and William Nylander).