EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Big ups EA

The beta build was great, I had fun playing for a few reasons, most if which is gameflow which was about perfect.

Positives and there are quite a few good ones.
Straight line speed is finally up to snuff.
Shooting* feels fluid
passing while slow felt a lot better to use than last year
and while there were complaints about Defense I had no trouble with it
I had stated last year I thought defense was too easy and this is a perfect balance with a few tuning issues.

Now Cons.
*Shooting while a hefty improvement is still hampered by issues with getting shots off that have angles
usually because of a thrown out stick that would maybe ramp the punk but not stop it that get just stopped dead in their tracks.

Skating is still a little heavy but the weight felt good. My issue was transitions going from up the ice to down. Lateral movements were a little fast last year but a little tune towards it could be nice.

Goalies they were kind of swiss cheese which was fun for the beta but definitely could use a small tuning for release nothing huge just little more responsivenes while playing it and a little more saves shortside for the ai.

Overall I give this beta an 9 out of 10.

North south hockey is out boys. Pass the puck and make a move to swing your man you got this.

Replies

• CMBDeadly wrote: »
    The beta build was great, I had fun playing for a few reasons, most if which is gameflow which was about perfect.

Positives and there are quite a few good ones.
    Straight line speed is finally up to snuff.
    Shooting* feels fluid
    passing while slow felt a lot better to use than last year
    and while there were complaints about Defense I had no trouble with it
    I had stated last year I thought defense was too easy and this is a perfect balance with a few tuning issues.

Now Cons.
    *Shooting while a hefty improvement is still hampered by issues with getting shots off that have angles
    usually because of a thrown out stick that would maybe ramp the punk but not stop it that get just stopped dead in their tracks.

Skating is still a little heavy but the weight felt good. My issue was transitions going from up the ice to down. Lateral movements were a little fast last year but a little tune towards it could be nice.

Goalies they were kind of swiss cheese which was fun for the beta but definitely could use a small tuning for release nothing huge just little more responsivenes while playing it and a little more saves shortside for the ai.

Overall I give this beta an 9 out of 10.

North south hockey is out boys. Pass the puck and make a move to swing your man you got this.

Speaking of defense and not having trouble, anyone else notice how little tripping penalties were called? Tripping penalties were drastically lower than in 19. Don't know if there was a tuning done to it or players just all of a sudden magically understood how and when to use pokes....
  • I gave this beta a 2/10. Strictly gameplay though, I'd go 5/10.
  • I gave the beta 6/10 with the hope they fix the passing, speed of the gameplay, off and def adjustments and speed up the menus and animations.
  • Giving the Beta a 5/10, but if we're talking strictly gameplay, 9/10. Online things bugged me, but I don't know if I have room to talk about online issues when that was my first time ever playing online in NHL.
  • Based solely on gameplay comparison from 19, I was going to give the beta a 5/10 based on the first 2 nights it was available.

I played another few hours on the 31st I believe, and for some reason everything felt better. From skating to checking, to slapping the puck around the boards, puck ragging was harder to pull off, just everything in general (asides from presentation) and from that experience I would rate gameplay 8/10. If the fixes to L2 on D actually happen and if goalies can cover pucks and most of those fixes get implemented, it will be a good game as long as tuning doesn't dramatically change the game (like last year).

So don't know what to think at this point, but that last night I played, puck ragging seemed alot harder to pull off and better team playing was more rewarding on the scoreboard. Just can't wait to see the final tuning and hope it doesn't escalate to a rollback after 5 months like last year and hopefully skating gets less twitchy on the full release.
  • I gave this beta a 2/10. Strictly gameplay though, I'd go 5/10.

Why? Gameplay felt great for me and was actually fun to play. The only issues I have had are with players that still try to force passes that worked last year, or dudes that rag the puck thinking they are gretzky in the 80's when dudes couldn't skate.
  • Based solely on gameplay comparison from 19, I was going to give the beta a 5/10 based on the first 2 nights it was available.

I played another few hours on the 31st I believe, and for some reason everything felt better. From skating to checking, to slapping the puck around the boards, puck ragging was harder to pull off, just everything in general (asides from presentation) and from that experience I would rate gameplay 8/10. If the fixes to L2 on D actually happen and if goalies can cover pucks and most of those fixes get implemented, it will be a good game as long as tuning doesn't dramatically change the game (like last year).

So don't know what to think at this point, but that last night I played, puck ragging seemed alot harder to pull off and better team playing was more rewarding on the scoreboard. Just can't wait to see the final tuning and hope it doesn't escalate to a rollback after 5 months like last year and hopefully skating gets less twitchy on the full release.

Yeah the fixes to L2 will be huge. I'm just hoping the release version is mostly teh same with slight tweaks.
  • Giving the Beta a 5/10, but if we're talking strictly gameplay, 9/10. Online things bugged me, but I don't know if I have room to talk about online issues when that was my first time ever playing online in NHL.

Online this year is so much better than last year. At least this year we don't get a dressing room error every game lol. So you definitely would think last years game was a 2 out of 10 online wise.

Hitting and passing never changed for me, were both turds. Tripping is pretty much the same as 19, maybe they shrunk the trip zone a bit, but felt the same anyways.

The core of EASHL is the exact same though. They can tweak the gameplay all they want, I'm not spending $80 for face rags and new shadowy outdoor rinks.
  • sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    Since this game is 100% about responsiveness I give it a 2 out of 10, still delayed, sluggish, lack of control.
  • zingaa1
    402 posts Member
    edited August 3
    For me it was just too close to 19, almost seemed like a duplicate copy, passing even seemed worse. Bright side I didn't get any dre's. I was really hoping we got away from the pond hockey nonsense and dropin after game dressing rooms came back