EA Forums - Banner

A year in review.

SturmWolfe
200 posts Member
edited August 2019
Can't really take the game seriously since it's physics engine is awful. When the puck decides to randomly speed across the screen at random... There's no point.

The passing is bad, shot accuracy is bad, puck battling is bad, poke check accuracy is bad, stick lift spamming is bad (holding a is lazy), hitting is bad (the polar opposite magnet effect is just plain awful programming), robot goalies are bad, AI players are bad (better than relying on random humans like CHEL but still useless pylons that just sit there until the puck enters their programmed "radius").

Top all that off with magical solids that aren't actually solid. If you want to protect the puck, just pass it or ride along the boards with your back to your opponent. Your player's stick will literally glitch through the boards with the puck. Don't want your opponent to press Y to get held up against the boards? Easy. Skate at an angle and repeat the above.

Now take that same method when trying to get out of your zone and just hold your right stick left or right with protect the puck. Your opponent won't be able to knock you off the puck, even if he's making direct impact at a faster pace (again, this is basic physics if you are having trouble understanding). Won't be able to poke check, instant penalty. Maybe try and hold poke check to swing at the puck? Maybe, but you guessed it! Penalty. Even if your stick didn't even hit your opponent's skates. Want to try pressing stick lift or holding A to stick lift? Not even a chance! Your opponent's stick will lift but he won't even notice and keep possession of the puck like he's actually Wayne Godtzky.

Not to mention L1 is pretty well the only way to play the game anymore. Want to stay in the top 50 in CS? Better use that L1 button a lot and don't lose the puck. Doesn't matter if your opponent has the lead or not, they are going to rag the puck up and down the ice as if they really did lock positions in previous titles. Don't let that bring you down though!

That's okay because EA doesn't know how to make a NHL game properly. Instead of fixing the game. They would rather let the players argue about whos better. By evaluating each other's teams via OVR stats. Even though a base 80 team can steam roll your 99 OVR team because of your connection to the server is not as good as your opponent's! Oh yeah, that speedy 99 you have will seem like he's indiana jones stuck in quicksand, but that's because you obviously suck at the game.

This is what "competitive gaming" has become.

I played the NHL 20 beta and it was practically the same. I played a bunch of games and besides new animations. The game runs exactly the same. Still the above mentioned.
This guy will not be a sucker for NHL 20 until it reaches the vault.

You have had plenty of time to take in feedback. For MULTIPLE years. I know you guys can't stand it when you receive actual criticism but this sums up what the community has been saying forever.

[Socair - edited for bypassing swear filter]
Post edited by Socair on

Replies

• Damn dude, you don’t like it, don’t play it and move on. There is plenty of post already stating what is wrong with the game but for now they are the only one making a hockey game so we don’t really have a choice if we want to play.
    If you take it for what it is which is a game to spare some free time and have a good time it can still be fun.
    All you do is complaining, just move on kid
  • You want things to change, do like me and don’t buy 20. It’s the only way they might start to care because for now they don’t.
    First time i won’t buy it since the super nintendo era, i will play 19 when i will need my hockey fix and that’s it.

I remember playing blade of steel on the nes and we were having a blast, it was no where close to what we have now...you want the real thing, lace up your skate, grab your stick and go play the real game on the ice
  • WealthyFriends
    893 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    I quit. Feels good to be released of the shackles of the twice-daily login.. try it.. you'll be pleasantly surprised.

This game is an exercise in tediousness and frustration, especially online, with the random equalization. It's just not fun anymore.
  • Damn dude, you don’t like it, don’t play it and move on. There is plenty of post already stating what is wrong with the game but for now they are the only one making a hockey game so we don’t really have a choice if we want to play.
    If you take it for what it is which is a game to spare some free time and have a good time it can still be fun.
    All you do is complaining, just move on kid

That's kind of the point, is it not?
    The fact that EA Sports are the ONLY dev that makes competitive NHL games for online play.

For the most part. I do play it for fun but none of the criticism provided has been taken into consideration. For the life of me. I have not actually seen a thread where EA Sports developers actively interact with the community. I see maybe one or two replies and they are incredibly vague and they are usually close ended responses.

I don't like to post like this and I respect EA Sports for what they try to deliver. However, with the amount of money they make. You would think they would apply a lot more resources into listening to the whole community. They seem to take all the feedback only from the top 50 or so players.

The problem with that is that those top players only play one-dimensional games. I watch the WCs. I play CS and I am Div 1. Top 100 in the world.

The play style is the same throughout when you face top 50 opponents. It's pretty easy to figure out but what I am taking aim at is the baiting exploits.

So, when all EA Sports does is take all their feedback from these types of players... It's the same game every year. And since the "other" dev doesn't have the license to make the games... It doesn't actually motivate EA Sports to actively make the changes that are necessary.

You're (not EA) coming off as "Sorry, kid. Shut up and deal with it". That kind of attitude is exactly why EA Sports is not listening to the community because half are wanting changes. The other half are "well don't play then".

You realize there's no choice when you are trying to play competitively, right?
    Sure, it's good to have fun but when you're playing CS. There should be opportunities to get better rewards without having to deal with players using exploits or griefing.

I shouldn't have to submit recorded video every time there is a clear issue.