EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

Pros and Cons - NHL 20 Demo

Pengman
10 posts Member
edited August 2019
Pros
1 - One-timers, while not totally polished yet, are better. Shot warping was definitely a problem, and now if the pass is too far behind, they catch and shoot a wrister, and too far in front they do a lunge / lean shot, which is less powerful. This means one-timers require properly passing into the wheelhouse. Nice improvement. The warping into the puck was a serious eye-sore.
2 - Goalies now are much better at steering low percentage and/or wide angle shots into the corner or into the netting. I also noticed on several occasions better pokes on cross crease passes, and better pokes on breakaways when you deked too close to the goalie.
3 - Passing: now the game doesn't take control of the pass recipient as the puck is enroute. A huge annoyance of 19 was how the game would stop or pull your player in the opposite direction of the puck.

Cons
1 - Game Speed is way too fast. Players don't feel like they have weight anymore. It feels like your skater is floating around the ice. But just in general, the game speed feels very frenetic and arcadey. Playing 19 it's night and day how much more enjoyable the game speed is.
2 - Puck Physics / Puck Friction - the puck often is like a pinball; when multiple players are battling for it, it ricochets around without losing momentum (and often *seems* like it's GAINING momentum). The puck doesn't feel as loose / free as 19; and this is not to say that 19 was perfect, but the puck definitely feels like it "always has to go somewhere" instead of relying on realistic physics to determine the pucks behavior
3 - Scoreboard - Why make this change? The new scoreboard gets in the way, takes up precious screen/ice real estate. It's not an improvement. Bad decision here. I don't blame them trying to change things, shake things up, but this was a miss.
4 - Pass Interceptions - While I appreciate the increase in pass interceptions, I do NOT think pass interceptions should occur when a player's back is to the play. I think pass interception success rate should be lowered when the eyes of a player cannot see the puck.
5 - Power Forward / Enforcer builds are a bit OP ; while I do think having multiple player types should bring with it positives and negatives, and I do believe that the PWF and ENF builds have plenty of negatives, the ability of these builds to hold onto the puck in traffic seems a bit OP now.
6 - Emotes and Pre-Game "celebrations" (in EASHL) are just stupid. Someone had to say it. I know they are trying to have "fun", but some of the stuff just makes a mockery of the sport.

Not going to comment on the multitude of bugs and/or weird animations, as those are things I'd like to think they are aware of and working on / have already resolved.
Post edited by Pengman on

Replies

• Pengman wrote: »
    6 - Emotes and Pre-Game "celebrations" (in EASHL) are just stupid. Someone had to say it. I know they are trying to have "fun", but some of the stuff just makes a mockery of the sport.

It would be nice if they did away with the emote celebrations and did some kind of actual hockey introduction. Something like the 6 players standing on the blue line, helmets off, and the camera pans all players showing their name and stats.

Keep it simple.

The dancing is just... lame.
  • I gotta say for point number 5, Danglers are way too OP. They bounce off physical contact like crazy and are incredibly good snipers. I would use a dangler over a sniper any day as the sniper is a horrible deker.
  • I gotta say for point number 5, Danglers are way too OP. They bounce off physical contact like crazy and are incredibly good snipers. I would use a dangler over a sniper any day as the sniper is a horrible deker.

Danglers were way to OP in 19. They were the jack of all trades of a class. Power forwards? Useless. They were slow, couldn’t take hits and just a liability. From my time in the beta, it seems bumps against larger players such as a power forward got toned down which I appreciated.
  • It is a good summary.

• I didn't get around to playing the Beta with any larger classes, but did play against some enforcers and they were trash (probably the humans).

Would you still call Powerforward OP if the backwards skating with the puck glitchyness was fixed?
    EASHL player
  • I didn't get around to playing the Beta with any larger classes, but did play against some enforcers and they were trash (probably the humans).

Would you still call Powerforward OP if the backwards skating with the puck glitchyness was fixed?

I think the issue that myself, and others I spoke with, were experiencing is that while the PWF and ENF classes *should* be able to take more bumps / hits, etc., you couldn't even slow them down with a well lined up hit (by any build other than PWF/ENF). It seemed like there was *no animation reaction* to many things that at least in 19 would have a reaction. They seem to just slide off of you like butter. Ideally, you have a big ENF forward skating with the puck, you can have one guy maybe come in and slow him down with a bump / hit, and then the next guy stick lifts him and you're going the other direction. You can still do this in 20, but it is *considerably* more difficult.

Backwards skating is definitely OP in this game, and many people unrealistically utilize it in an effort to draw tripping penalties. Obviously this can be remedied by not poking, but when you can't even hit a PWF and ENF skating backwards (unless you're using the same class, or maybe a grinder build), it can become quite frustrating.

I think they can fix this by puck control dropping when ANY build skates backwards, scaled appropriately by build. Also, they ought to consider removing the ENF build altogether as they don't really exist in the NHL anymore, but that's another topic.