EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - HUT Deep dive

Andrew Marks HUT Producer and Nicholas Shewchuk Live Content Producer discuss HUT in NHL 20.
Check it out here.

NHL 20 Franchise Info

Prev134
Socair
1689 posts Game Changer
Hey guys. Here’s a link to the deep dive blog on Franchise mode. Some good news for those who want to use Legends (Icons) offline too.
NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator

Replies

• Wow... HUGE update to franchise mode this year.
  • Finally, some offline love :)
  • When do the talk about or address issue with the legends in offline play? Will they be available in this years game and if so will it be the same as last year and only be able to use them on the rosters they are assigned to.
    ? Socair this has been a issue for almost a year now. If this isn’t the place to get answers about it, then point me in the right direction as to where to find the answer
  • Socair
    1689 posts Game Changer
    nomah29 wrote: »
    When do the talk about or address issue with the legends in offline play? Will they be available in this years game and if so will it be the same as last year and only be able to use them on the rosters they are assigned to.
    ? Socair this has been a issue for almost a year now. If this isn’t the place to get answers about it, then point me in the right direction as to where to find the answer
    Well in 19, you couldn’t use Legends offline outside of play now ...whoever is a Legend, or Icon as they are calling them in 20, will be available to use in offline modes.
  • They said about using custom Rosters ? What does it mean ? Is it for Roster sharing ?
  • Socair
    1689 posts Game Changer
    Froommey wrote: »
    They said about using custom Rosters ? What does it mean ? Is it for Roster sharing ?

No roster sharing. Custom rosters in game to import into Franchise.
  • I watched the 24 minute video after work and I am absolutely impressed. I think the smallish tid bits at the end got me super excited. Don't get me wrong the coaches and trade finder are great add on features and should add depth to the mode. But in the last few minutes of the video when they were talking about adding depth to the mode, it addressed a lot of my biggest pet peeves with the mode so that was a nice surprise. I just hope it plays out as well as it sounds.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • Froommey
    560 posts Member
    edited August 16
    Socair wrote: »
    They said about using custom Rosters ? What does it mean ? Is it for Roster sharing ?

Means ? Possible to import self created players or Teams from 19 to 20 ? Many good things are in, looks like it is going step into right direction.

• Froommey wrote: »
    Socair wrote: »

Means ? Possible to import self created players or Teams from 19 to 20 ? Many good things are in, looks like it is going step into right direction.

He means if you create a roster in the main menu, you can import that roster into franchise mode and have custom rosters if you so choose to do so. It's been in the game for awhile now but it's hard to execute with the way the menu is set up.
  • BruinsHockey08
    881 posts Member
    edited August 16
    @nomah29 you got your offline legends that you wanted. It's mentioned in the first post in this thread.

Edit: sorry didn't see your post already
  • I read the breakdown on Gamespot and looking forward to seeing the video now later. From what was reported on this gets me pretty pumped. 90% i'm franchise mode all the time and there is a lot more depth that I've been waiting for coming to light. Taking it a step further than just hiring firing coaches and cleaning up the scouting is great news.

Having to be more methodical with team building and type of strategy with coaches and players adds that level of difficulty realism that's going to be a lot of fun.

By the time I finished my last franchise just through simming and a ( few sim intervenes mind you ) I had won the cup 9 years in a row, 14- out of 16 years in that same stretch which, don't get me wrong was fun and astonishing, as I usually just win a handful in ones I've done prior.

How so, by gaming all the adjustments they made for this years game. Built a super scouting dept, drafting all gems and goalies with that end up having crazy potential. Locking players into good contracts forever. Trading those AHL 2-5 mill asking guys for more picks to repeat the above. Never got a top 10 pick but always had 2-3 goalies in the minors whose potential was franchise and could use to sweeten any pot needed to get a player I wanted, especially when it came to salary dumps. Not only that but shipping players out on the final year of their contract only to get them back in FA.

I think its enough to say, I"M BUYING THIS
  • @devs ..... is it possible to to implement a Trade history of any player in the player info ? All transactions after starting a Franchise Dynasty are in the system.
  • I'm very impressed with the amount of depth added to Franchise. A lot more than I was expecting with the chemistry system.

Would love to see the interview system make it's way to BaP. Add depth and dialog into contract negotiation and what not.
  • I have been waiting over a year for any kind of update on legends he mentioned it with maybe 10 seconds left. He mentioned a all time oilers team. Now i am hoping every team has all time roster but with the way ea runs there customer feedback is i doubt it
  • Ok, but how does all this translate to the ice?

Will the coach I hire actually coach the game when I play (not sim) a game? i.e. will he, himself, be implementing his "schemes" and "tactics" or will I have to shuffle through the same outdated strategies trying to mimic his philosophy, but then just wind up doing things my own way because the A.I. is still half stupid and my way limits that as best it can be done? And if so, how will it work with different game settings e.g., Full Sim, Competitive, Arcade?

Seriously, can anyone on the inside answer this?

In theory, these additions sound great and I really like the idea of working/bumping-heads with a coach even if they are fictional, but if it hasn't been integrated into the gameplay or properly integrated into the gameplay, I don't see a point. Call me a Negative Nelly, but EA doesn't have a great history with delivering on its hype.
  • I have zero faith in this being what they say it’s going to be, and i have even less faith that someone from ea will answer anyone’s questions about it. Just got to wait until it’s released and get feedback from the people who actually by it
  • nomah29 wrote: »
    I have zero faith in this being what they say it’s going to be, and i have even less faith that someone from ea will answer anyone’s questions about it. Just got to wait until it’s released and get feedback from the people who actually by it

I wouldn't be that negative on this, they did a solid job on the scouting last year. So I think they will do a good job with the stuff they talked about. I'm more hoping they nailed the little things they talked about because that's what I am most interested in since they have been gripes of mine for awhile.
  • nomah29 wrote: »
    I have zero faith in this being what they say it’s going to be, and i have even less faith that someone from ea will answer anyone’s questions about it. Just got to wait until it’s released and get feedback from the people who actually by it

Yeah, I guess so. I mean, $60 won't kill me, but I'm tired of doing this every year with this franchise-forsaken game.
  • Cautiously optimistic to see legends/icons being available for offline use.

Hopefully it's all the legends that are available in HUT are also available offline (nearly 200+)...and not just a select few.

@Socair or anyone else...is there any idea how the age of these legends will work in franchise? Will they start at age 20 or something so we enjoy numerous years with them, or will it utilize their old age (possibly trigger retirement after 1 year?)
  • rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    Ok, but how does all this translate to the ice?

Will the coach I hire actually coach the game when I play (not sim) a game? i.e. will he, himself, be implementing his "schemes" and "tactics" or will I have to shuffle through the same outdated strategies trying to mimic his philosophy, but then just wind up doing things my own way because the A.I. is still half stupid and my way limits that as best it can be done? And if so, how will it work with different game settings e.g., Full Sim, Competitive, Arcade?

Seriously, can anyone on the inside answer this?

In theory, these additions sound great and I really like the idea of working/bumping-heads with a coach even if they are fictional, but if it hasn't been integrated into the gameplay or properly integrated into the gameplay, I don't see a point. Call me a Negative Nelly, but EA doesn't have a great history with delivering on its hype.

In the video it tells you what the coaches philosophy is for all the lines and how much they play each line. The latter will have more to do sim wise, but if your playing then whatever way you rotate your lines and the style you play will obviously trump whatever the coach has set. If he has crash the net then I'd expect the players to do that.

The question is, can you change the coaches strategies or are you stuck with them? Can you have a good coach but bad strategies and you'll have to fire him as a result?