EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

image
Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

NHL 20 Franchise Info

Replies

  • Socair
    2194 posts Game Changer
    jatt96306 wrote: »
    Cautiously optimistic to see legends/icons being available for offline use.

    Hopefully it's all the legends that are available in HUT are also available offline (nearly 200+)...and not just a select few.

    @Socair or anyone else...is there any idea how the age of these legends will work in franchise? Will they start at age 20 or something so we enjoy numerous years with them, or will it utilize their old age (possibly trigger retirement after 1 year?)
    They won’t be rookie age, mid 20s most likely, so that we can still get a solid career out of them.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    Ok, but how does all this translate to the ice?

    Will the coach I hire actually coach the game when I play (not sim) a game? i.e. will he, himself, be implementing his "schemes" and "tactics" or will I have to shuffle through the same outdated strategies trying to mimic his philosophy, but then just wind up doing things my own way because the A.I. is still half stupid and my way limits that as best it can be done? And if so, how will it work with different game settings e.g., Full Sim, Competitive, Arcade?

    Seriously, can anyone on the inside answer this?

    In theory, these additions sound great and I really like the idea of working/bumping-heads with a coach even if they are fictional, but if it hasn't been integrated into the gameplay or properly integrated into the gameplay, I don't see a point. Call me a Negative Nelly, but EA doesn't have a great history with delivering on its hype.

    In the video it tells you what the coaches philosophy is for all the lines and how much they play each line. The latter will have more to do sim wise, but if your playing then whatever way you rotate your lines and the style you play will obviously trump whatever the coach has set. If he has crash the net then I'd expect the players to do that.

    The question is, can you change the coaches strategies or are you stuck with them? Can you have a good coach but bad strategies and you'll have to fire him as a result?

    Ok, but I want the coach to coach the games I actually play (because I would probably play all 82) with his "schemes, tactics, philosophy, etc.". That would make all these additions worth investing time in playing this game.

    So, let's focus on the last part of your first sentence: "how much they play each line".

    This means (for those that may not know), how does the coach you hire run his lines. How does he divvy up the time between the four lines.

    So, when I choose to play a game, is the coach's "scheme" implemented? Or will the game play just as '19 and all previous versions did?

    What's more? Will the coach adjust strategies during the game or has that not been updated and remains like all the other versions we've played for the past some-odd-years?

    Here's my point: if the coach isn't coaching the game and his scheme isn't used when I play a game, it makes his "philosophy" irrelevant and the whole process of hiring a coach irrelevant.

    If they haven't developed this new aspect of the mode to work with the actual gameplay and it's slotted for '21, '22, or God knows when, then it's a waste of time unless you're just going to sim everything and there's a much better option for that in Eastside Hockey Mgr.
  • rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    Ok, but how does all this translate to the ice?

    Will the coach I hire actually coach the game when I play (not sim) a game? i.e. will he, himself, be implementing his "schemes" and "tactics" or will I have to shuffle through the same outdated strategies trying to mimic his philosophy, but then just wind up doing things my own way because the A.I. is still half stupid and my way limits that as best it can be done? And if so, how will it work with different game settings e.g., Full Sim, Competitive, Arcade?

    Seriously, can anyone on the inside answer this?

    In theory, these additions sound great and I really like the idea of working/bumping-heads with a coach even if they are fictional, but if it hasn't been integrated into the gameplay or properly integrated into the gameplay, I don't see a point. Call me a Negative Nelly, but EA doesn't have a great history with delivering on its hype.

    In the video it tells you what the coaches philosophy is for all the lines and how much they play each line. The latter will have more to do sim wise, but if your playing then whatever way you rotate your lines and the style you play will obviously trump whatever the coach has set. If he has crash the net then I'd expect the players to do that.

    The question is, can you change the coaches strategies or are you stuck with them? Can you have a good coach but bad strategies and you'll have to fire him as a result?

    Ok, but I want the coach to coach the games I actually play (because I would probably play all 82) with his "schemes, tactics, philosophy, etc.". That would make all these additions worth investing time in playing this game.

    So, let's focus on the last part of your first sentence: "how much they play each line".

    This means (for those that may not know), how does the coach you hire run his lines. How does he divvy up the time between the four lines.

    So, when I choose to play a game, is the coach's "scheme" implemented? Or will the game play just as '19 and all previous versions did?

    What's more? Will the coach adjust strategies during the game or has that not been updated and remains like all the other versions we've played for the past some-odd-years?

    Here's my point: if the coach isn't coaching the game and his scheme isn't used when I play a game, it makes his "philosophy" irrelevant and the whole process of hiring a coach irrelevant.

    If they haven't developed this new aspect of the mode to work with the actual gameplay and it's slotted for '21, '22, or God knows when, then it's a waste of time unless you're just going to sim everything and there's a much better option for that in Eastside Hockey Mgr.

    When you play the game you have the ability on the fly to make changes to your teams strategies. If i'm down a goal and need to tie it up I'm not going to wait for the coach to go all out attack. That's part of the point in playing the game, you manage that, or at least you should. How lines roll will either relate to the line they are in or the overall rating of the player. It would probably work for the line as you are not putting your best players on the fourth. Once again calling out lines is something you would control in the game, which if you want your top guys out you should make the call on that.

    As far as the strategies that will relate more to where the AI sends them on the ice.

    I think what you might be trying to get at here which I can see possibly being the real issue would be how you do your lines, players on your team, and type of coach you have.

    It looks like a coach matching the player styles will have impacts especially on simming. So if you plan to play all 82 it might make more sense to have a teacher coach to help your players develop as you would be more in control of the wins and losses.

    As you see in the video you want players to match the scheme of the coach. So if you are playing all the games you want a coach that fits your player scheme so that it wont hurt moral or player growth. Chances are outside of in game adjustments you will not be able to change your strategies. They will be tied to the coach which is realistic.

    Simply, hire a coach that plays the way you want your team to play and build your team around that.
  • rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    Ok, but how does all this translate to the ice?

    Will the coach I hire actually coach the game when I play (not sim) a game? i.e. will he, himself, be implementing his "schemes" and "tactics" or will I have to shuffle through the same outdated strategies trying to mimic his philosophy, but then just wind up doing things my own way because the A.I. is still half stupid and my way limits that as best it can be done? And if so, how will it work with different game settings e.g., Full Sim, Competitive, Arcade?

    Seriously, can anyone on the inside answer this?

    In theory, these additions sound great and I really like the idea of working/bumping-heads with a coach even if they are fictional, but if it hasn't been integrated into the gameplay or properly integrated into the gameplay, I don't see a point. Call me a Negative Nelly, but EA doesn't have a great history with delivering on its hype.

    In the video it tells you what the coaches philosophy is for all the lines and how much they play each line. The latter will have more to do sim wise, but if your playing then whatever way you rotate your lines and the style you play will obviously trump whatever the coach has set. If he has crash the net then I'd expect the players to do that.

    The question is, can you change the coaches strategies or are you stuck with them? Can you have a good coach but bad strategies and you'll have to fire him as a result?

    Ok, but I want the coach to coach the games I actually play (because I would probably play all 82) with his "schemes, tactics, philosophy, etc.". That would make all these additions worth investing time in playing this game.

    So, let's focus on the last part of your first sentence: "how much they play each line".

    This means (for those that may not know), how does the coach you hire run his lines. How does he divvy up the time between the four lines.

    So, when I choose to play a game, is the coach's "scheme" implemented? Or will the game play just as '19 and all previous versions did?

    What's more? Will the coach adjust strategies during the game or has that not been updated and remains like all the other versions we've played for the past some-odd-years?

    Here's my point: if the coach isn't coaching the game and his scheme isn't used when I play a game, it makes his "philosophy" irrelevant and the whole process of hiring a coach irrelevant.

    If they haven't developed this new aspect of the mode to work with the actual gameplay and it's slotted for '21, '22, or God knows when, then it's a waste of time unless you're just going to sim everything and there's a much better option for that in Eastside Hockey Mgr.

    When you play the game you have the ability on the fly to make changes to your teams strategies. If i'm down a goal and need to tie it up I'm not going to wait for the coach to go all out attack. That's part of the point in playing the game, you manage that, or at least you should. How lines roll will either relate to the line they are in or the overall rating of the player. It would probably work for the line as you are not putting your best players on the fourth. Once again calling out lines is something you would control in the game, which if you want your top guys out you should make the call on that.

    As far as the strategies that will relate more to where the AI sends them on the ice.

    I think what you might be trying to get at here which I can see possibly being the real issue would be how you do your lines, players on your team, and type of coach you have.

    It looks like a coach matching the player styles will have impacts especially on simming. So if you plan to play all 82 it might make more sense to have a teacher coach to help your players develop as you would be more in control of the wins and losses.

    As you see in the video you want players to match the scheme of the coach. So if you are playing all the games you want a coach that fits your player scheme so that it wont hurt moral or player growth. Chances are outside of in game adjustments you will not be able to change your strategies. They will be tied to the coach which is realistic.

    Simply, hire a coach that plays the way you want your team to play and build your team around that.

    No, what I'm trying to get at (and get a confirmation about before buying) is how this new aspect of BaGM mode is integrated and utilized within the mode.

    I like the idea of there being different coaches with different philosophies and trying to have to find one to hire for your organization as a GM (is it still Be a GM? Seriously, IDK, has the mode changed to a different perspective?)

    So, for example, let's say as GM I hire a "defense first" type coach. We trap, and roll four lines, whatever. I get him the players he thinks he needs, whatever, right? I go through the whole process of this new aspect. It's fun. It's a new dimension we haven't experienced yet.

    Now, what happens when I go to play an actual game in the mode? Is it just NHL 19 again? Is my coach coaching the team according to his game-plan? Is he running things or am I, because IMO, in order to justify doing all this work with a coach, it has to be him doing the coaching when we get on the ice. Or else it doesn't matter which coach I hire. It's just a system then to juice up my players and run wild on the ice looking for exploits (isn't that what HUT is for?).

    Also, do the opposing AI teams just play as they did in '19 where they all wind up reverting to the same strategy script and line script? Ya know, the one where the fourth line is always out in the last minute of the game when you need a goal and you forgot to manually change it and don't feel like playing anymore?

    If that's the case, then it takes all the time I would have put into "working" with the coach I hired and throws it out the window. Likewise, if all the AI teams revert to the old strategy script it will make this new aspect feel incomplete and worthless.

  • rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    Ok, but how does all this translate to the ice?

    Will the coach I hire actually coach the game when I play (not sim) a game? i.e. will he, himself, be implementing his "schemes" and "tactics" or will I have to shuffle through the same outdated strategies trying to mimic his philosophy, but then just wind up doing things my own way because the A.I. is still half stupid and my way limits that as best it can be done? And if so, how will it work with different game settings e.g., Full Sim, Competitive, Arcade?

    Seriously, can anyone on the inside answer this?

    In theory, these additions sound great and I really like the idea of working/bumping-heads with a coach even if they are fictional, but if it hasn't been integrated into the gameplay or properly integrated into the gameplay, I don't see a point. Call me a Negative Nelly, but EA doesn't have a great history with delivering on its hype.

    In the video it tells you what the coaches philosophy is for all the lines and how much they play each line. The latter will have more to do sim wise, but if your playing then whatever way you rotate your lines and the style you play will obviously trump whatever the coach has set. If he has crash the net then I'd expect the players to do that.

    The question is, can you change the coaches strategies or are you stuck with them? Can you have a good coach but bad strategies and you'll have to fire him as a result?

    Ok, but I want the coach to coach the games I actually play (because I would probably play all 82) with his "schemes, tactics, philosophy, etc.". That would make all these additions worth investing time in playing this game.

    So, let's focus on the last part of your first sentence: "how much they play each line".

    This means (for those that may not know), how does the coach you hire run his lines. How does he divvy up the time between the four lines.

    So, when I choose to play a game, is the coach's "scheme" implemented? Or will the game play just as '19 and all previous versions did?

    What's more? Will the coach adjust strategies during the game or has that not been updated and remains like all the other versions we've played for the past some-odd-years?

    Here's my point: if the coach isn't coaching the game and his scheme isn't used when I play a game, it makes his "philosophy" irrelevant and the whole process of hiring a coach irrelevant.

    If they haven't developed this new aspect of the mode to work with the actual gameplay and it's slotted for '21, '22, or God knows when, then it's a waste of time unless you're just going to sim everything and there's a much better option for that in Eastside Hockey Mgr.

    When you play the game you have the ability on the fly to make changes to your teams strategies. If i'm down a goal and need to tie it up I'm not going to wait for the coach to go all out attack. That's part of the point in playing the game, you manage that, or at least you should. How lines roll will either relate to the line they are in or the overall rating of the player. It would probably work for the line as you are not putting your best players on the fourth. Once again calling out lines is something you would control in the game, which if you want your top guys out you should make the call on that.

    As far as the strategies that will relate more to where the AI sends them on the ice.

    I think what you might be trying to get at here which I can see possibly being the real issue would be how you do your lines, players on your team, and type of coach you have.

    It looks like a coach matching the player styles will have impacts especially on simming. So if you plan to play all 82 it might make more sense to have a teacher coach to help your players develop as you would be more in control of the wins and losses.

    As you see in the video you want players to match the scheme of the coach. So if you are playing all the games you want a coach that fits your player scheme so that it wont hurt moral or player growth. Chances are outside of in game adjustments you will not be able to change your strategies. They will be tied to the coach which is realistic.

    Simply, hire a coach that plays the way you want your team to play and build your team around that.

    No, what I'm trying to get at (and get a confirmation about before buying) is how this new aspect of BaGM mode is integrated and utilized within the mode.

    I like the idea of there being different coaches with different philosophies and trying to have to find one to hire for your organization as a GM (is it still Be a GM? Seriously, IDK, has the mode changed to a different perspective?)

    So, for example, let's say as GM I hire a "defense first" type coach. We trap, and roll four lines, whatever. I get him the players he thinks he needs, whatever, right? I go through the whole process of this new aspect. It's fun. It's a new dimension we haven't experienced yet.

    Now, what happens when I go to play an actual game in the mode? Is it just NHL 19 again? Is my coach coaching the team according to his game-plan? Is he running things or am I, because IMO, in order to justify doing all this work with a coach, it has to be him doing the coaching when we get on the ice. Or else it doesn't matter which coach I hire. It's just a system then to juice up my players and run wild on the ice looking for exploits (isn't that what HUT is for?).

    Also, do the opposing AI teams just play as they did in '19 where they all wind up reverting to the same strategy script and line script? Ya know, the one where the fourth line is always out in the last minute of the game when you need a goal and you forgot to manually change it and don't feel like playing anymore?

    If that's the case, then it takes all the time I would have put into "working" with the coach I hired and throws it out the window. Likewise, if all the AI teams revert to the old strategy script it will make this new aspect feel incomplete and worthless.

    Yeah I see what your saying there for sure. Its tough to say. It might be hard to tell to some aspect as I feel most people play the same style year over year. Like you can make all the changes you want but if you play the same way you did in 19,18,17 etc most likely you'll only notice whether your team is aggressive or defensive.

    I can relate to the line changes aspect though. If you play on auto lines and they say certain coaches lean on stars more than I would expect to see them rolled more. But again if your top guys are always tired I'm not sure if the coach will send them over. Kinda goes back to your play style.

    I know in years prior you can still dominate with a deadline as long as that ice tilt was happening. If being tied actually plays are bigger roll then that is a good thing as an icing might actually mean something.

    I would say it would bring in another dynamic when playing different teams if it felt like playing a different team. They do feel the same almost every game. It would be nice to know your going up against an aggressive coach whose team throws everything at the net, or goes out of its way to hit everything, or just plays a crazy trap system you can never do anything.

    I think that could be really fun
  • Socair wrote: »
    jatt96306 wrote: »
    Cautiously optimistic to see legends/icons being available for offline use.

    Hopefully it's all the legends that are available in HUT are also available offline (nearly 200+)...and not just a select few.

    @Socair or anyone else...is there any idea how the age of these legends will work in franchise? Will they start at age 20 or something so we enjoy numerous years with them, or will it utilize their old age (possibly trigger retirement after 1 year?)
    They won’t be rookie age, mid 20s most likely, so that we can still get a solid career out of them.

    Would it not be better to bring them into later drafts with younger years ? It would be excited to watch every year which legend will find the way to the game through the draft
  • Froommey wrote: »
    Socair wrote: »
    jatt96306 wrote: »
    Cautiously optimistic to see legends/icons being available for offline use.

    Hopefully it's all the legends that are available in HUT are also available offline (nearly 200+)...and not just a select few.

    @Socair or anyone else...is there any idea how the age of these legends will work in franchise? Will they start at age 20 or something so we enjoy numerous years with them, or will it utilize their old age (possibly trigger retirement after 1 year?)
    They won’t be rookie age, mid 20s most likely, so that we can still get a solid career out of them.

    Would it not be better to bring them into later drafts with younger years ? It would be excited to watch every year which legend will find the way to the game through the draft

    One step further. Dont make them top 5 picks. Hide them so you have to scout well to find them
  • A lot of good editions for offline franchise but I just don’t see how any of it matters if legacy issues still exist, the AI is still horribly braindead, and 4th liners and the leagues stars still play exactly the same.
  • rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    Ok, but how does all this translate to the ice?

    Will the coach I hire actually coach the game when I play (not sim) a game? i.e. will he, himself, be implementing his "schemes" and "tactics" or will I have to shuffle through the same outdated strategies trying to mimic his philosophy, but then just wind up doing things my own way because the A.I. is still half stupid and my way limits that as best it can be done? And if so, how will it work with different game settings e.g., Full Sim, Competitive, Arcade?

    Seriously, can anyone on the inside answer this?

    In theory, these additions sound great and I really like the idea of working/bumping-heads with a coach even if they are fictional, but if it hasn't been integrated into the gameplay or properly integrated into the gameplay, I don't see a point. Call me a Negative Nelly, but EA doesn't have a great history with delivering on its hype.

    In the video it tells you what the coaches philosophy is for all the lines and how much they play each line. The latter will have more to do sim wise, but if your playing then whatever way you rotate your lines and the style you play will obviously trump whatever the coach has set. If he has crash the net then I'd expect the players to do that.

    The question is, can you change the coaches strategies or are you stuck with them? Can you have a good coach but bad strategies and you'll have to fire him as a result?

    Ok, but I want the coach to coach the games I actually play (because I would probably play all 82) with his "schemes, tactics, philosophy, etc.". That would make all these additions worth investing time in playing this game.

    So, let's focus on the last part of your first sentence: "how much they play each line".

    This means (for those that may not know), how does the coach you hire run his lines. How does he divvy up the time between the four lines.

    So, when I choose to play a game, is the coach's "scheme" implemented? Or will the game play just as '19 and all previous versions did?

    What's more? Will the coach adjust strategies during the game or has that not been updated and remains like all the other versions we've played for the past some-odd-years?

    Here's my point: if the coach isn't coaching the game and his scheme isn't used when I play a game, it makes his "philosophy" irrelevant and the whole process of hiring a coach irrelevant.

    If they haven't developed this new aspect of the mode to work with the actual gameplay and it's slotted for '21, '22, or God knows when, then it's a waste of time unless you're just going to sim everything and there's a much better option for that in Eastside Hockey Mgr.

    It's not a waste of time though because if you stimulate the season while playing spicy games like I do this could make a huge difference.

    Ideally if the coach you hire is rated a D overall (let's pretend for a minute you'd make a hire like this) then the team shouldn't do all that well and your players should regress. Therefore adding an element of cause and effect.

    And for me the biggest improvements to the mode will be what they discussed in the depth pary of the video. Though the trade finder should be a huge time saver if implemented right.

    So what I'll say is this, if you're only going to play the games then it may have little to no impact on your game. But if you like the team building aspect of franchise mode then these additions should absolutely add a lot to the table if implemented as good as it sounds.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    Ok, but how does all this translate to the ice?

    Will the coach I hire actually coach the game when I play (not sim) a game? i.e. will he, himself, be implementing his "schemes" and "tactics" or will I have to shuffle through the same outdated strategies trying to mimic his philosophy, but then just wind up doing things my own way because the A.I. is still half stupid and my way limits that as best it can be done? And if so, how will it work with different game settings e.g., Full Sim, Competitive, Arcade?

    Seriously, can anyone on the inside answer this?

    In theory, these additions sound great and I really like the idea of working/bumping-heads with a coach even if they are fictional, but if it hasn't been integrated into the gameplay or properly integrated into the gameplay, I don't see a point. Call me a Negative Nelly, but EA doesn't have a great history with delivering on its hype.

    In the video it tells you what the coaches philosophy is for all the lines and how much they play each line. The latter will have more to do sim wise, but if your playing then whatever way you rotate your lines and the style you play will obviously trump whatever the coach has set. If he has crash the net then I'd expect the players to do that.

    The question is, can you change the coaches strategies or are you stuck with them? Can you have a good coach but bad strategies and you'll have to fire him as a result?

    Ok, but I want the coach to coach the games I actually play (because I would probably play all 82) with his "schemes, tactics, philosophy, etc.". That would make all these additions worth investing time in playing this game.

    So, let's focus on the last part of your first sentence: "how much they play each line".

    This means (for those that may not know), how does the coach you hire run his lines. How does he divvy up the time between the four lines.

    So, when I choose to play a game, is the coach's "scheme" implemented? Or will the game play just as '19 and all previous versions did?

    What's more? Will the coach adjust strategies during the game or has that not been updated and remains like all the other versions we've played for the past some-odd-years?

    Here's my point: if the coach isn't coaching the game and his scheme isn't used when I play a game, it makes his "philosophy" irrelevant and the whole process of hiring a coach irrelevant.

    If they haven't developed this new aspect of the mode to work with the actual gameplay and it's slotted for '21, '22, or God knows when, then it's a waste of time unless you're just going to sim everything and there's a much better option for that in Eastside Hockey Mgr.

    It's not a waste of time though because if you stimulate the season while playing spicy games like I do this could make a huge difference.

    Ideally if the coach you hire is rated a D overall (let's pretend for a minute you'd make a hire like this) then the team shouldn't do all that well and your players should regress. Therefore adding an element of cause and effect.

    And for me the biggest improvements to the mode will be what they discussed in the depth pary of the video. Though the trade finder should be a huge time saver if implemented right.

    So what I'll say is this, if you're only going to play the games then it may have little to no impact on your game. But if you like the team building aspect of franchise mode then these additions should absolutely add a lot to the table if implemented as good as it sounds.

    I don't know what you mean by "spicy games" (I assume that's a typo), but I prefer to play all the games which is what sets EA's game apart from Eastside Hockey Manager. If I was only going to sim games, EHM is the way to go because it is far more sophisticated than 'Chel's Be a GM.

    Your argument for the game NOT "being a waste of time" fails because we would have to assume you have played the game and know how all of this works within the game. I'm assuming you haven't played the game and have no idea how these new additions are implemented and even if they properly work when loaded (e.g. they don't crash the game). Correct?

    Given EA's record of failing to live up to their hype, I'm cautious about purchasing '20 and was hoping someone who is connected to the company could shed some light. However, mums the word thus far and this is a discussion taking place in an "announcement" thread, so my skepticism is growing.

    I can appreciate your optimism, but unfortunately the NHL series (really, any EA title for that matter) is not one that can be trusted to deliver on quality or more specifically the quality it promotes prior to its release. So, I kind of would like to know before I buy Chel this time around.
  • rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    Ok, but how does all this translate to the ice?

    Will the coach I hire actually coach the game when I play (not sim) a game? i.e. will he, himself, be implementing his "schemes" and "tactics" or will I have to shuffle through the same outdated strategies trying to mimic his philosophy, but then just wind up doing things my own way because the A.I. is still half stupid and my way limits that as best it can be done? And if so, how will it work with different game settings e.g., Full Sim, Competitive, Arcade?

    Seriously, can anyone on the inside answer this?

    In theory, these additions sound great and I really like the idea of working/bumping-heads with a coach even if they are fictional, but if it hasn't been integrated into the gameplay or properly integrated into the gameplay, I don't see a point. Call me a Negative Nelly, but EA doesn't have a great history with delivering on its hype.

    In the video it tells you what the coaches philosophy is for all the lines and how much they play each line. The latter will have more to do sim wise, but if your playing then whatever way you rotate your lines and the style you play will obviously trump whatever the coach has set. If he has crash the net then I'd expect the players to do that.

    The question is, can you change the coaches strategies or are you stuck with them? Can you have a good coach but bad strategies and you'll have to fire him as a result?

    Ok, but I want the coach to coach the games I actually play (because I would probably play all 82) with his "schemes, tactics, philosophy, etc.". That would make all these additions worth investing time in playing this game.

    So, let's focus on the last part of your first sentence: "how much they play each line".

    This means (for those that may not know), how does the coach you hire run his lines. How does he divvy up the time between the four lines.

    So, when I choose to play a game, is the coach's "scheme" implemented? Or will the game play just as '19 and all previous versions did?

    What's more? Will the coach adjust strategies during the game or has that not been updated and remains like all the other versions we've played for the past some-odd-years?

    Here's my point: if the coach isn't coaching the game and his scheme isn't used when I play a game, it makes his "philosophy" irrelevant and the whole process of hiring a coach irrelevant.

    If they haven't developed this new aspect of the mode to work with the actual gameplay and it's slotted for '21, '22, or God knows when, then it's a waste of time unless you're just going to sim everything and there's a much better option for that in Eastside Hockey Mgr.

    It's not a waste of time though because if you stimulate the season while playing spicy games like I do this could make a huge difference.

    Ideally if the coach you hire is rated a D overall (let's pretend for a minute you'd make a hire like this) then the team shouldn't do all that well and your players should regress. Therefore adding an element of cause and effect.

    And for me the biggest improvements to the mode will be what they discussed in the depth pary of the video. Though the trade finder should be a huge time saver if implemented right.

    So what I'll say is this, if you're only going to play the games then it may have little to no impact on your game. But if you like the team building aspect of franchise mode then these additions should absolutely add a lot to the table if implemented as good as it sounds.

    I don't know what you mean by "spicy games" (I assume that's a typo), but I prefer to play all the games which is what sets EA's game apart from Eastside Hockey Manager. If I was only going to sim games, EHM is the way to go because it is far more sophisticated than 'Chel's Be a GM.

    Your argument for the game NOT "being a waste of time" fails because we would have to assume you have played the game and know how all of this works within the game. I'm assuming you haven't played the game and have no idea how these new additions are implemented and even if they properly work when loaded (e.g. they don't crash the game). Correct?

    Given EA's record of failing to live up to their hype, I'm cautious about purchasing '20 and was hoping someone who is connected to the company could shed some light. However, mums the word thus far and this is a discussion taking place in an "announcement" thread, so my skepticism is growing.

    I can appreciate your optimism, but unfortunately the NHL series (really, any EA title for that matter) is not one that can be trusted to deliver on quality or more specifically the quality it promotes prior to its release. So, I kind of would like to know before I buy Chel this time around.

    Spicy games should have been season games but my phone didn't want to say what I intended it to say.

    And no I haven't played the game. However, based on NHL 19 the franchise mode is usually pretty stable. So in my opinion, as long as it stays stable then the mode should be a lot of fun. At least that's what I'm hoping. As a fan of the mode already these features should only add to my enjoyment.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • > @BruinsHockey08 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Spicy games should have been season games but my phone didn't want to say what I intended it to say.
    >
    > And no I haven't played the game. However, based on NHL 19 the franchise mode is usually pretty stable. So in my opinion, as long as it stays stable then the mode should be a lot of fun. At least that's what I'm hoping. As a fan of the mode already these features should only add to my enjoyment.

    I've got to say that I'm very hyped about all this. It fits perfectly with the way I play the game. I only play 1 game per in game week and sim the rest, then I play the playoff if my team made it. That way, I can see my players evolve on multiple years without having to play 40 hours a week. With all the scouting and coachs news, I believe this is gonna be perfect for my ''hybrid play/sim'' style. I believe that it's gonna be possible to let the coach adjust the strategy on the fly while playing so it will work both ways.

    Can't wait to see how this will really work now!
  • Froommey
    791 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    @Socair Do the Coaches have a Statistic during a Franchise career ? For which Team they played, wins-losses and what kind of success they had with these Teams ? This will be important to see before you sign up a Coach.
  • Socair
    2194 posts Game Changer
    Froommey wrote: »
    @Socair Do the Coaches have a Statistic during a Franchise career ? For which Team they played, wins-losses and what kind of success they had with these Teams ? This will be important to see before you sign up a Coach.
    Yeah, they will.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Froommey
    791 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Socair wrote: »
    Froommey wrote: »
    @Socair Do the Coaches have a Statistic during a Franchise career ? For which Team they played, wins-losses and what kind of success they had with these Teams ? This will be important to see before you sign up a Coach.
    Yeah, they will.

    Thx for answering. Do you know if every real existing player has now a photo in his player profile or not ? There where many missing in the past.
    Post edited by Froommey on
  • Is it possible to substitute the NHL teams to Euro teams like it was possible to do on PS3?
  • Pretty excited about this as I am mainly a Franchise mode player.
    Players asking salary based on their performance is awesome. Cap management was way too easy before.
    An 82 OVR 50 goals scorer would ask for a 2-3M salary per year....An 80 OVR Vezina winner would ask for a 1.5M salary per year. That was ridiculous. It's tough to manage contract and salary cap IRL. Especially if you are a Stanley cup winning team.
  • titomahawk wrote: »
    Pretty excited about this as I am mainly a Franchise mode player.
    Players asking salary based on their performance is awesome. Cap management was way too easy before.
    An 82 OVR 50 goals scorer would ask for a 2-3M salary per year....An 80 OVR Vezina winner would ask for a 1.5M salary per year. That was ridiculous. It's tough to manage contract and salary cap IRL. Especially if you are a Stanley cup winning team.

    I agree. A lot of the changes are great. Especially if they are executed right. I can't wait to try it next week.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • titomahawk wrote: »
    Pretty excited about this as I am mainly a Franchise mode player.
    Players asking salary based on their performance is awesome. Cap management was way too easy before.
    An 82 OVR 50 goals scorer would ask for a 2-3M salary per year....An 80 OVR Vezina winner would ask for a 1.5M salary per year. That was ridiculous. It's tough to manage contract and salary cap IRL. Especially if you are a Stanley cup winning team.

    I agree. A lot of the changes are great. Especially if they are executed right. I can't wait to try it next week.

    Well, that's the thing, isn't it? If they're executed right.

    I notice devs and "game changers" (are they on the inside, do they know things prior to release?) comment in threads and the fact that none have touched the subject of how these new franchise additions actually effect gameplay (or the how A.I. handles these new features when it comes to playing games) may indicate we're in for yet another disappointing year of franchise mode.

    I wish I had the confidence to believe otherwise, but the industry is in dire need of a paradigm shift... especially AAA makers. Gluttony and deception have underscored the philosophy for these companies and EA is right at the forefront.
  • Socair
    2194 posts Game Changer
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    titomahawk wrote: »
    Pretty excited about this as I am mainly a Franchise mode player.
    Players asking salary based on their performance is awesome. Cap management was way too easy before.
    An 82 OVR 50 goals scorer would ask for a 2-3M salary per year....An 80 OVR Vezina winner would ask for a 1.5M salary per year. That was ridiculous. It's tough to manage contract and salary cap IRL. Especially if you are a Stanley cup winning team.

    I agree. A lot of the changes are great. Especially if they are executed right. I can't wait to try it next week.

    Well, that's the thing, isn't it? If they're executed right.

    I notice devs and "game changers" (are they on the inside, do they know things prior to release?) comment in threads and the fact that none have touched the subject of how these new franchise additions actually effect gameplay (or the how A.I. handles these new features when it comes to playing games) may indicate we're in for yet another disappointing year of franchise mode.

    I wish I had the confidence to believe otherwise, but the industry is in dire need of a paradigm shift... especially AAA makers. Gluttony and deception have underscored the philosophy for these companies and EA is right at the forefront.

    I haven’t played the game so I can’t comment on how Franchise will play with the coaching changes.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!