EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

NHL 20 Franchise Info

Replies

• rpmfdnhl wrote: »
    titomahawk wrote: »
    Pretty excited about this as I am mainly a Franchise mode player.
    Players asking salary based on their performance is awesome. Cap management was way too easy before.
    An 82 OVR 50 goals scorer would ask for a 2-3M salary per year....An 80 OVR Vezina winner would ask for a 1.5M salary per year. That was ridiculous. It's tough to manage contract and salary cap IRL. Especially if you are a Stanley cup winning team.

I agree. A lot of the changes are great. Especially if they are executed right. I can't wait to try it next week.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? If they're executed right.

I notice devs and "game changers" (are they on the inside, do they know things prior to release?) comment in threads and the fact that none have touched the subject of how these new franchise additions actually effect gameplay (or the how A.I. handles these new features when it comes to playing games) may indicate we're in for yet another disappointing year of franchise mode.

I wish I had the confidence to believe otherwise, but the industry is in dire need of a paradigm shift... especially AAA makers. Gluttony and deception have underscored the philosophy for these companies and EA is right at the forefront.

The one thing that gives me hope is that they implemented the new scouting system as well as they did. So I'm optimistic that they did well on this. We'll have a chance to find out next week though.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
    Players asking salary based on their performance is awesome. Cap management was way too easy before.
    An 82 OVR 50 goals scorer would ask for a 2-3M salary per year....An 80 OVR Vezina winner would ask for a 1.5M salary per year. That was ridiculous. It's tough to manage contract and salary cap IRL. Especially if you are a Stanley cup winning team.

I agree. A lot of the changes are great. Especially if they are executed right. I can't wait to try it next week.

I notice devs and "game changers" (are they on the inside, do they know things prior to release?) comment in threads and the fact that none have touched the subject of how these new franchise additions actually effect gameplay (or the how A.I. handles these new features when it comes to playing games) may indicate we're in for yet another disappointing year of franchise mode.

I wish I had the confidence to believe otherwise, but the industry is in dire need of a paradigm shift... especially AAA makers. Gluttony and deception have underscored the philosophy for these companies and EA is right at the forefront.

The one thing that gives me hope is that they implemented the new scouting system as well as they did. So I'm optimistic that they did well on this. We'll have a chance to find out next week though.

The scouting system didn't have anything to do with on-ice gameplay, though. It didn't have to be integrated to work with what takes place on the ice. Theoretically, no, neither does this new coaching system, but for it to be worth while to partake in, then yes, it has to be weaved into the on-ice gameplay.

Gun to your head... you bet on this new system to be worked into the on-ice gameplay, i.e. the coach you hire and his system/scheme/tendencies/philosophy/etc. will be integrated and the A.I. coaches will do their thing on the ice as well, or will the gameplay follow the same script as it has been for the last some odd years?

Gun to my head and I have to say no, it wasn't integrated.

And I'll take almost any bet the A.I. team still doesn't know how to use a timeout!
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »

The scouting system didn't have anything to do with on-ice gameplay, though. It didn't have to be integrated to work with what takes place on the ice. Theoretically, no, neither does this new coaching system, but for it to be worth while to partake in, then yes, it has to be weaved into the on-ice gameplay.

Gun to your head... you bet on this new system to be worked into the on-ice gameplay, i.e. the coach you hire and his system/scheme/tendencies/philosophy/etc. will be integrated and the A.I. coaches will do their thing on the ice as well, or will the gameplay follow the same script as it has been for the last some odd years?

Gun to my head and I have to say no, it wasn't integrated.

And I'll take almost any bet the A.I. team still doesn't know how to use a timeout!

Amen! I've been asking for EA to fix the timeout issue for years. I never understood how something so fundamentally simple like having the AI use their timeout at an appropriate time, or at all for that matter, is continually neglected.

I attempt to play as sim experience as possible (my own sliders, full 20 minute periods on True Broadcast) and things like this drive me a bit crazy.
  • What neither of you seem to grasp is that franchise mode is more of a mode that is meant to be progressed through at a pretty decent rate by simulating. You guys are talking about gameplay issues, not franchise issues. And I agree, there are gameplay issues that should be addressed.

However, I'm excited to see how this plays out from a simulation standpoint. Unfortunately there will always be issues with gameplay that's what the NHL series is known for, whenever they fix one exploit someone always seems to find another. And part of that (getting back to @rpmfdnhl point) is due to how loose the AI plays on default settings.

So to call it how I see it, with the way I play, meaning I simulate good chunks of it, franchise mode these could be cool additions. If you're someone who plays every game then it may not have an impact on your game. Which is a shame because these are good improvements to the mode.
  • BruinsHockey08
    931 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    rpmfdnhl wrote: »

Firstly the scouting system was never designed to be tied to gameplay. It was a tool that was designed to help people find and draft players. Which it did. I never tied any thoughts of gameplay to it, that just isn't the point of that feature.

Gameplay to me is a standalone issue that no franchise scouting or trade feature can fix. The one thing that you asked and I wonder the same thing is will teams like the Flyers and Bruins play a more physical style over teams like the Penguins and Lightning who are more skilled teams? That will be interesting to see.

I hope so but I am like you in that sense because I don't see the coaches having that impact during the game.

During a simulation it may hold true but will it translate during the game? My guess is no. But I hope that I'm wrong.

The reason I'm mostly excited about the mode is that they fixed some of the annoyances I've had with the mode over the past few years. If it was just the coaching stuff I wouldn't be so excited. But as a package it sounds like they did a lot of good things to franchise which is why I can't wait to try it out next week.

Coaching is the biggest question mark of all of the features they introduced and hopefully one that will be proven as a non issue.
  • more of a mode that is meant to be progressed through at a pretty decent rate by simulating

I wouldn't say it's "meant" to be simulated through. EA has gone to the extent to develop a "Simulation" game style meant to be played with 10 minute periods that in '19 was pretty well done. Except for the glaring issues of that iteration, I had realistic outcomes with default sliders. I actually thought they had nailed it, but the "issues" were just too much to bear.

That's been the problem with Chel when it comes to offline modes: Too many issues and half baked additions. I believe there are still a lot of "die hard" fans of offline modes (see operation sports) that want realism and sophisticated franchise modes with well integrated gameplay.

I mean, that would be the "art" in this whole thing, wouldn't it? If you're going to try to mimic real life aspects of coaching, making it play out in the gameplay would be the innovative part, not rng calculations for a sim engine with maybe some 2D graphics. That's the hallmark of being a AAA developer. They're supposed to be doing these things, but instead it seems they put most of their innovation into trying to disguise their "surprise mechanics" (their words not mine).
  • > @BruinsHockey08 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Spicy games should have been season games but my phone didn't want to say what I intended it to say.
    >
    > And no I haven't played the game. However, based on NHL 19 the franchise mode is usually pretty stable. So in my opinion, as long as it stays stable then the mode should be a lot of fun. At least that's what I'm hoping. As a fan of the mode already these features should only add to my enjoyment.

I've got to say that I'm very hyped about all this. It fits perfectly with the way I play the game. I only play 1 game per in game week and sim the rest, then I play the playoff if my team made it. That way, I can see my players evolve on multiple years without having to play 40 hours a week. With all the scouting and coachs news, I believe this is gonna be perfect for my ''hybrid play/sim'' style. I believe that it's gonna be possible to let the coach adjust the strategy on the fly while playing so it will work both ways.

Can't wait to see how this will really work now!

playing 82 games not including playoffs or pre season if that's your bag, over 25 yrs you would have to basically divorce reality to see through completion.

I usually like to play marquee season games. Teams that are first rematch since the playoffs, teams I lost a player or traded one to, game that has playoff implications. Outside of that its all about playoff hockey.
  • > @BruinsHockey08 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Spicy games should have been season games but my phone didn't want to say what I intended it to say.
    >
    > And no I haven't played the game. However, based on NHL 19 the franchise mode is usually pretty stable. So in my opinion, as long as it stays stable then the mode should be a lot of fun. At least that's what I'm hoping. As a fan of the mode already these features should only add to my enjoyment.

I've got to say that I'm very hyped about all this. It fits perfectly with the way I play the game. I only play 1 game per in game week and sim the rest, then I play the playoff if my team made it. That way, I can see my players evolve on multiple years without having to play 40 hours a week. With all the scouting and coachs news, I believe this is gonna be perfect for my ''hybrid play/sim'' style. I believe that it's gonna be possible to let the coach adjust the strategy on the fly while playing so it will work both ways.

Can't wait to see how this will really work now!

playing 82 games not including playoffs or pre season if that's your bag, over 25 yrs you would have to basically divorce reality to see through completion.

I usually like to play marquee season games. Teams that are first rematch since the playoffs, teams I lost a player or traded one to, game that has playoff implications. Outside of that its all about playoff hockey.

I'm very much the same way.

• playing 82 games not including playoffs or pre season if that's your bag, over 25 yrs you would have to basically divorce reality to see through completion.

Exactly the way I play.
  • For me it is completely diffrent. I play all games with my AHL and NHL Team. For me it doesn’t matter how many years of this 25 possible I could play. If I would have a good Roster from the start of a new issue, I would finish all 1,5 month one season with 7 min period length.
  • Froommey wrote: »
    For me it is completely diffrent. I play all games with my AHL and NHL Team. For me it doesn’t matter how many years of this 25 possible I could play. If I would have a good Roster from the start of a new issue, I would finish all 1,5 month one season with 7 min period length.

What do you mean by new issue?
  • MaxPac67 wrote: »

I think he means new iteration. He wants a proper roster update on day one.
  • Does franchise still stop rookie progression with unsigned rookies or will they progress without using ur contract limits up ie esp the American and European draftees
  • JT91_Isles wrote: »
    Does franchise still stop rookie progression with unsigned rookies or will they progress without using ur contract limits up ie esp the American and European draftees

They progress without a contract in NHL 19 so I can't imagine they nerfed that again. I remember that used to be an issue but it's not anymore
  • Froommey
    751 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    MaxPac67 wrote: »

Yes, sorry that I meant. Was not clear written.

They cannot do that unless they release the game in mid October once training camps finish and rosters are finalized for the opening night slate of games

They cannot do that unless they release the game in mid October once training camps finish and rosters are finalized for the opening night slate of games

Ok than they should release the game at mid Oct. It will bring logical more business cause people will be more hungry when real NHL season has started.
    Froommey wrote: »

Ok than they should release the game at mid Oct. It will bring logical more business cause people will be more hungry when real NHL season has started.

They do the same thing with Madden as well. Its been out for a month and the season hasn't started yet. My guess is no big titles typically release over summer months and with the sport void they look to get a jump on the triple A games that start to roll out late Sept/Oct and get the quarter profits up. With Madden in an August release it brings up summer sales as its a big maker and starting with NHL in September it gets them going on the fall.

As a franchise guy I try and wait for the first regular season roster update. Many times over prospects like Petterson have little potential and take forever to grow, then after the first update or so, they clean that up a lot. Sucks but I don't know how they work player progression on players they might know nothing about
  • Just change your buying habits to a month later. :)
  • with a lot of top RFA's still unsigned, whats the point of starting franchise with no authentic contracts. that isn't EA's fault