EA Forums - Banner

Where's the hype-train?

Did I miss it? Is there one chugging along?

This occurred to me when I received an email from EA sports asking me do I know about CHEL experience... start with outside rinks and get promoted to professional rinks etc.

I don't follow SoME, so I really don't know if EA is hyping the yearly release of EA sports titles there? Are they active, and does this apply to NHL too?

It's pointless to look for hype on this forum at least, it's pretty much dead two weeks before the new release... so I am thinking is EA as bored and jaded with NHL as we forumites seem to be at this point. :/

Replies

• EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    This happens with a lot of games to be honest, especially with yearly iterations fans prefer to wait in the last stretch rather than speculating on what the final game is going to be like. Doubt anyone over in the NHL studio is bored right now, it's pretty much all hands on deck & I'd assume that during these times Ben doesn't even sleep. As far as hype goes, I give you this: KJHj.gif
  • Ok, which one of the dev team is that kid? :*
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    That's me, I look younger on camera.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    If there was actual progression from ODR to indoor rinks, that would be cool.
  • Dunno. I decided to skip this game after getting screwed out of my money last year, and as the release comes closer I realize that I'm not changing my mind. I've gone as far as to delete NHl 19 from my hard drive despite having room for it. Just completely over the series at this point. Someone wake me up when EA gets some competition and actually has to put some effort into their games.
  • Many customer doesn’t trust them anymore. To disappointed from the last years games. 20 need to be a very good game to get customer back. I guess they know that.
  • I was definitely out back in November, I did play the 20 demo and was honestly surprised what little effort appears to have went into it, it's the same thing. If they are proud of this, hey hats off, but I think it's an out right disaster and an embarrassment to what was once a great franchise. RIP
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    There is none. This is the least hyped version of NHL I've seen to date. Besides the Franchise Deep Dive, there has been little to no info provided in terms of dev diaries or in depth info on the new mechanics.

Off the top of my head I can only think of the new features video that explains literally nothing about signature shooting (which wont even be complete at launch and let's be honest, not all signature shots are one knee one timers like Stamkos), new goaltending AI which isnt explained in the slightest, and a whole bunch of CHEL junk without mentioning whether online stability and matchmaking (which was a major concern in 19) has been completely resolved.

EA NHL promo team dropped the ball.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    EA NHL promo team dropped the ball.

Yeah, it does seem kinda subdued to say the least. If it's all hands on deck, what's the promo team doing then? Drawing new skate colour schemes?

Shouldnt the game be in 'gold' at this point? I know there's going to be day 1 patch probably so the devs are probably very busy doing that, but if one assumes they have a promo team, what have they been doing, or is there even one? :#

Maybe they're just not bothered so much, since there's new gen of consoles coming up etc?

• I really do like the gameplay changes this year(contexual shots, pickups, goalie animations), but as an offline only player that is really the only feature I'm excited about and it's just not enough. The franchise mode stuff would be cool if the mode weren't already broken. My hype train will come when they fix things like CPU AI, player separation, and add roster sharing.
  • I almost prefer the lack of uber hype.

Now hopefully people won't get their own personal hype up to such a level, it would be impossible to meet. Maybe this is part of the strategy.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Well, it seems to be working...

Personally, I honestly didn't feel that goalies were all that different, I am on PS4, and all I could notice was that awkward looking glove catch against the chest? The rest was almost 100% the same as last year... I could be wrong, but I really hope the finished game will have more improvements, they're sorely needed for goalies.
  • they probably figured out that they could cut even more out of this project to up the profit margins since this is really all this game is about (a glorified patch sold at the price of a AAA game) . Why spend tons of cash on hype when the same group of addicted players will just buy it every year anyways.