EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Thoughts from Early Access

Replies

• TheMajjam
    740 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    The game definitely has more arcadey feel to it but in some ways that's a good thing.

What we have now is 10x better than the stuck in the mud trying to turn an 18 wheeler momentum we had before but less turn on a dime dreidel we had before that. I really like where skating is at right now.

I like lots of contact but too much incidental contact is bad for the game imo because we cant control our limbs or how we carry our stick ... but what we have now is terrible in terms of contact. LT figure skating is breaking this game and contact needs to be amped way up. Fixing that alone will create much better balanced gameplay

Agree. Played about 4 games tonight and 3 out of the 4 teams were doing things like this. It's catching.

vqOESrJ.gif

Hoping a Day 1 patch just ends this crap, or it's going to be a real short year of NHL 20 for me. Nothing, and I mean nothing about this clip screams authentic hockey to me at all.
  • Indeed that LT dancing is gamebreaker for me.
  • I really like the scoreboard at the bottom. As a defensemen it’s not in my way anymore.

Puck pickups are smoother.

Animations are smoother in general.

The camera men are finally sober (nice looking replays)

3s eliminator mode is a real good time!!
    BUT....as a team of threes...we played against 2 humans and a CPU ...EVERY TIME!!!
    It should be a separate bracket...2s and 3s.

Overall it’s smoother and crisper compared to 19.

Day 1 purchase for me.

• I would like to see a developer or community manager come to this forum and post a response with reasoning as to why this LT business is in the game. That and the perfect 60 foot backhand passes.
  • And also y the hitting has been nerfed ,and what happened to the goalies being improved .
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    The game definitely has more arcadey feel to it but in some ways that's a good thing.

What we have now is 10x better than the stuck in the mud trying to turn an 18 wheeler momentum we had before but less turn on a dime dreidel we had before that. I really like where skating is at right now.

I like lots of contact but too much incidental contact is bad for the game imo because we cant control our limbs or how we carry our stick ... but what we have now is terrible in terms of contact. LT figure skating is breaking this game and contact needs to be amped way up. Fixing that alone will create much better balanced gameplay

Agree. Played about 4 games tonight and 3 out of the 4 teams were doing things like this. It's catching.

vqOESrJ.gif

Hoping a Day 1 patch just ends this crap, or it's going to be a real short year of NHL 20 for me. Nothing, and I mean nothing about this clip screams authentic hockey to me at all.

Seeing a clip like this is absolutely putting me in the wrong mood.

So annoying when you barely graze a skate on a pokecheck causing massive tripping where it would appear the player should have a concussion with the fall, and then you get explained the "realism" and the "physics" behind it. Yet, here we are where this clip shows that even a greek god would never be able to skate with that kind of agility and maintaining control of the puck.

Where are the "physics" and the "realism" in this clip?

Buying this game in the discount bin and will never ever give EA my $$$ ever again. When you guys decide to stop making Disney On Ice I will seriously reconsider.
  • TITAN_NHL wrote: »
    Honestly this is the worst nhl to date

It's not. It's cool to hate on EA but this is not the worst NHL to date.

It's this kind of hyperbole why the community cant be taken seriously.

In some cases, no the community can't be taken serious, but a lot of points are valid imo. I feel a lot of the valid points players make are disregarded by EA for whatever reason, maybe it's money, incompetence or just plain lazy, I don't know and that frustrates players even more.

It's not the worst NHL to date, but with 100% certainty I can say it's not the best, far from it, just like 19 wasn't.

I'm not a hater per say, in fact in past years I always stuck up for them, but at this point I expect failure and incompetence. I felt last year was an epic fail and sense 20 is damn near a duplicate, I already see how it's going to go.

vqOESrJ.gif

I've been blaming this sort of gameplay on the HUT streamers having too much influence, but BaconCountry was complaining about it. If its not the streamers, WHO WANTS THIS?
    EASHL player
  • And what's really maddening is that it would be relatively simple (I think) to tweak the sliders a bit to eliminate this, it's not like it would require huge investment of time or money.

They should at the very least eliminate it from EASHL. It just makes mockery of the game.

vqOESrJ.gif

This is exactly what I had predicted would happen. It's why I haven't even played 1 minute of the Trial yet. This stuff was present in the BETA and I had said it was going to be in the final product. That and that the goalies would see ZERO improvements even though EA touted they were gonna be better. LOL!

Guess I was right.
  • You were spot on Mr Venom ,the goalies are horrible they give up that same cheesey back hand goal all the time , threat analysis is a joke
  • You were spot on Mr Venom ,the goalies are horrible they give up that same cheesey back hand goal all the time , threat analysis is a joke

I remember when there was a form of threat analysis years ago and there was a dev diary that explained how it worked. The fact that I cant see any major difference and there was no general explanation how it works, I will assume its minor.

I'll tell you this though, it annoys me how often my goalie makes a save now and I cant move the puck because they lock in these new save animations and never transition out of them.
  • presentation not improved... replays too short, you don't see secondary situations at all. new screen graphics is too massive in screen when goal comes. after game highlights should be much longer and more variation needed.
    Be a Pro is the way to go.
  • Treatmentworke66
    977 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    You were spot on Mr Venom ,the goalies are horrible they give up that same cheesey back hand goal all the time , threat analysis is a joke

I remember when there was a form of threat analysis years ago and there was a dev diary that explained how it worked. The fact that I cant see any major difference and there was no general explanation how it works, I will assume its minor.

I'll tell you this though, it annoys me how often my goalie makes a save now and I cant move the puck because they lock in these new save animations and never transition out of them.

Let me ask you something ,in older versions was the player able to just skate around in circles ,or am I wrong didn't he loose the puck or loose an edge ...ok back to the goalie yes it's frustrating when you try to pass it out and gets stuck in whatever animation their in .
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    TITAN_NHL wrote: »
    What other online game can you be 1v1 against somebody, they set the controller down, and it's not just a complete given that you run away with the game at that point. I mean, in NHL say they get control of the puck while they are afk, sometimes you can hit them, poke, stick lift and they still maintain possession even though they arent even there. I'm sure everyone here at some point has been playing someone that afk'd and you sat there and had to work harder than you should have to get the puck off an afk player

Actually... No.

I may be highly critical of the game, but this is one aspect of the game that I absolutely HATE how the community has misconstrued, and I mostly blame the "elites". One thing that grinds my gears when I go to a known NHL stream is when the broadcasters start complaining about the "OP bots" because the other guys just sit back in front of their net or drop their controllers. Dude, you're an elite NHL player, sponsored by EA, you usually score 10 goals per period by twitching all over the ice with LT? You abuse the behind the net glitch and the tuck in goals? It kills me to hear them complaining about the bots when they're using EVERY exploit they can to score. LOL!!

As a former offline only player, I get absolutely GIDDY when my opponent tries to play back and let his AI try to do the work. The AI is so horrible! Yes, there are things it can do that humans can't and it will react to some things much faster than we can. But it's highly predictable and you can exploit it to do certain things even at the highest difficulty levels.

Take my advice: play a few games offline at ALL-STAR or even SUPERSTAR difficulty and learn the AI tendencies. It's not important if you win or lose those games, you just want to pick up on what it does. So that the next time your opponent is dumb enough to "leave his controller down", you can dominate him instead of crumbling.

I once played a dude who was NOTORIOUS for playing Goalie Lock in HUT. He was on a 20+ win streak when I got matched up with him. I had seen him a few days ago frustrate the heck out of some top streamers at the time. After one period I was already up 8-1 against him because I wasn't intimated by his "overpowered AI"... LOL!

I also played a lot of NHL 2K which was a much, much more difficult game to play against the AI than EA's NHL. Way more difficult because the AI didn't run around like a puck seeking zombie all over the ice and ruin your positioning. Scoring wasn't just a matter of taking the right shot from the right spot. Keeping the puck in the opponent's zone was very difficult. And keeping the AI from scoring on your end was even more difficult because you had to play TEAM defense and not just fly everywhere and play "EA" defense (which means always being on the puck holder).

So yeah... Playing against someone who puts down the controller in this game? Piece of cake, IMO. I have no problem against those. Against people who abuse goal scoring exploits? Yeah, that's a little harder. Because you end up having to use cheese to fight cheese. And you hope that you can somehow out-cheese the cheeser. LOL!

;)

Fully agree. When my opponent puts the controller down, unless I'm playing against someone across the country on their server, it's gonna be easy goal time.
  • I really like the scoreboard at the bottom. As a defensemen it’s not in my way anymore.

Puck pickups are smoother.

Animations are smoother in general.

The camera men are finally sober (nice looking replays)

3s eliminator mode is a real good time!!
    BUT....as a team of threes...we played against 2 humans and a CPU ...EVERY TIME!!!
    It should be a separate bracket...2s and 3s.

Overall it’s smoother and crisper compared to 19.

Day 1 purchase for me.

That's basically been my experience in the 10 hour trial I played.
  • versions was the player able to just skate around in circles ,or am I wrong didn't he loose the puck or loose an edge ...ok back to the goalie yes it's frustrating when you try to pass it out and gets stuck in whatever animation their in .

Cant remember what year it was but yes, players would lose a edge and fall to the ice if cutting too hard. Players also lost balance and injured themselves when crashing into the boards on missed hits.

As for goalie freezes, theres always been 1 or 2 animations that froze the puck regardless of how much time and room he had to move it. There seems to be a good 4-5 now that auto freeze the puck. Simply annoying when I'm trying to keep play going but I'm forced to take a defensive faceoff (which I'm most likely going to lose on Allstar/Superstar.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    629 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    versions was the player able to just skate around in circles ,or am I wrong didn't he loose the puck or loose an edge ...ok back to the goalie yes it's frustrating when you try to pass it out and gets stuck in whatever animation their in .

Cant remember what year it was but yes, players would lose a edge and fall to the ice if cutting too hard. Players also lost balance and injured themselves when crashing into the boards on missed hits.

As for goalie freezes, theres always been 1 or 2 animations that froze the puck regardless of how much time and room he had to move it. There seems to be a good 4-5 now that auto freeze the puck. Simply annoying when I'm trying to keep play going but I'm forced to take a defensive faceoff (which I'm most likely going to lose on Allstar/Superstar.

The last year for that was NHL 12. I’ve been saying how they should blow an edge if they skate backwards or continue circling again and again. It made a lot harder to rag the puck that’s for sure.

Post edited by EpiCxOwNeD on
  • Isn’t it crazy how for one whole year players have been wanting the LT problem to be addressed and it’s still in a new game a year later along with the one hand tucks that seemingly pretty much going in all the time again for the second straight year?

This series has great potential to be phenomenal. It’s quite sad to see it in the state it has been and going towards.
  • Score a go ahead goal late in the 3rd and a song like "Bad Vibes" starts playing :*:* Okayyyy…..