EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - HUT Deep dive

Andrew Marks HUT Producer and Nicholas Shewchuk Live Content Producer discuss HUT in NHL 20.
Check it out here.

What did you do to THREES(tm)? (The CHEL mode)

Pleads
2 posts Member
edited September 6
Is there no way to play this solo and drop-in to a lobby anymore? If you join with a team of two are you locked into this eliminator mode with no matchmaking to fill an empty spot? How do I play the arcadey 3 v 3 money puck mode casually with friends and sometimes strangers?

Replies

• Oh and is it literally always first to seven/one period of play now, too?
  • Bumping since first to 7 with AI scoring 4 goals a game has totally ruined this mode. Just awful
  • I think you can just dropin.. and add friends (but then you can't choose position) I've not played threes since the beta so maybe that's changed?

Cons to threes
    -drop in can't choose position
    -play to 7 with money pucks.. a game can be over in 3 goals.. unbelievable.. that NEEDS changed! I'm OK with 7 if they eliminate money pucks but honestly 1 period and play until the time expires would be best..
    -CPU is still a bit too good a team should be semi punished for having a cpu player.. they should NEVER play better than the worst human.

Pros
    -Gameplay is much better for threes. Pass interceptions are MUCH improved
    -clubs can play threes now (honestly it would be cool if clubs could choose their threes rules similar to how you can in threes (outside of WOC) inside of the club info.)
  • Threes is over. The way they have it makes it pointless to play anymore.. Too bad I can't get a refund.
  • headup81 wrote: »
    Threes is over. The way they have it makes it pointless to play anymore.. Too bad I can't get a refund.

It's really close to making it pointless. Just get rid of money pucks and playing to 7 wouldn't be bad.. half the teams quit after going down 3-5 anyway so a game to 7 with black pucks would be ok. If they don't change that then make it 20! 7 is way too low when there are +3's someone gets that right off the faceoff and the game is nearly half over! During the beta we won in the championship round in less than 30 seconds real time with a +3 +2 +2 was it funny/ fun? Yes! Did it feel like we deserved that win.. not really. I really hope they patch threes somehow. I don't mind the 1 period idea, I don't care for money pucks and I really hate playing to 7. I've played some GREAT threes games that came down to the wire late in the third. I was once down 12-0 with 2 min left in the game and we came back and won! Please fix this EA. I enjoy threes and 6s. Right now 6's is too easy to pick passes and threes plays to a small amount..
  • The money pucks are one thing but not being able to pick your position and having to wait for the next round are game breaking. I already know of a couple players who are exclusive threes players and aren’t buying to the game.
  • Personally I think the CPU/mascot is the worst. The only teams I've lost to are teams with a mascot. We won a handful of championships but mascots just seem way too good. I wouldn't suggest people buy this for threes anymore.. before it was def a selling point. The one game a mascot took the puck, back skated across the net and short side snipe top of net.. I've not seen humans make that shot! You shouldn't WANT to play with a CPU but most teams are now.. change the mode to TWOS!
  • EA just destroying this game year after year, so glad I saved 60.00 this year
  • What's with the complains about not being able to pick a position? Isnt your position like 99% irrelevant in this mode? There's one faceoff in the beginning. There's no zones, no offside. I don't understand why picking a position is even needed
  • What's with the complains about not being able to pick a position? Isnt your position like 99% irrelevant in this mode? There's one faceoff in the beginning. There's no zones, no offside. I don't understand why picking a position is even needed

Well if you're defense you start with puck.. some people prefer that.. some are better at avoiding an initial hit from the beginning.. some have played with bad randoms that start with the puck and do some silly stuff.. beyond that some people are just used to being one position or another. Tbh I'm always a C so I instinctively look for the red icon.
  • I only play threes . This new version sucks and yes l do play defense so l want the puck to start!! I want my money back !!
  • Let's be frank...EA is forcing this game into arcade mode version by version. First, they watered down the drop in crowd with 3's, then even more with 1's. I get that some people enjoy it, and that's fine...but let's not pretend it's anything but arcade mode. Additionally, they took away all team/arena choices and stuck us in that pond...and this year they've only added a couple of additional outdoor rinks with shadows so bad it's almost unplayable. Couple that with the clown gear and no aspect of real hockey...yeah, they're driving their player base into something that is a joke to call NHL.