EA Forums - Banner

Can we calibrate horizontal too?

Prev1
meatboy_180
12 posts Member
edited September 2019
It only gives the option to calibrate vertical why is this ? Me and a few others ive talked to have parts of the screen cut off and there is no way to fix it ive tried tv setting xbox setting everything it only does it on nhl so has to be that. Can't see my teams energy on line changes. help?

Replies

• They'll wait until nhl 21 and add horizontal option as a "new feature" i've never seen a company so clueless lol
  • I'm having the same problem on PS4.
  • What are you using for a display? Gaming monitor, TV? I'm using a gaming monitor and have not noticed an issue.
  • Socair
    2811 posts Game Changer
    edited September 2019
    Thoroughly check your tv picture settings and aspect ratio to make sure it’s set for full frame. Pause a game where you are seeing the cut off and go through the aspect ratios or frame settings to see if you can get it fit properly.
    If that doesn’t change anything also check your console output.

If it’s a standard definition or older tv, there may be some issues achieving the HD frame needed.
  • Yeah this needs to be fixed. They didn’t account for overscan.
  • 17of26
    3 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I fixed my issue by changing my TV's screen adjustment setting from "16x9" to "Screen Fit".
  • Socair wrote: »
    Thoroughly check your tv picture settings and aspect ratio to make sure it’s set for full frame. Pause a game where you are seeing the cut off and go through the aspect ratios or frame settings to see if you can get it fit properly.
    If that doesn’t change anything also check your console output.

If it’s a standard definition or older tv, there may be some issues achieving the HD frame needed.

Thanks for the head's up on possible fixes, Socair.
    I don't have enough time left on my access trial to mess with this now. That was mostly my fault as I wasn't smart enough to realize messing around with things like Team Canada Training while waiting for the rest of the download was going to eat into my 10 hours. Oh well. :/

I will be sure to have this near the top of my list for adjustments once the pre-order full game release time begins, particularly, as the OP mentioned, when it comes down to actual gameplay being cutoff.

Thanks!
  • > @meatboy_180 said:
    > It only gives the option to calibrate vertical why is this ? Me and a few others ive talked to have parts of the screen cut off and there is no way to fix it ive tried tv setting xbox setting everything it only does it on nhl so has to be that. Can't see my teams energy on line changes. help?

Same problem cancelled my preorder last night lol
  • This needs a fix. Like this month.
  • To further add to this, I too have this problem. Fired up the game yesterday for the first time and same exact issue. My TV is older (Sharp Aquos 55". Probably at least 10 years old). Never had a problem with any other video game on an Xbox 360, PS3 or PS4 (this includes NHL 15 which I played 2 days ago. Don't ask). I know that this is likely a TV Overscan issue but it seems like it dates back to the Beta of this game and isn't completely solved depending on your display. I did submit a bug report or whatever to EA and if I figure something out on my end, I'll post it here. But no luck so far
  • meatboy_180
    12 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    ^ Yeah Ea has been no help at all yet this is the only nhl this has ever happened to me since I've been getting it for over 10 years. They said it's my tvs fault its doing this and I contact my tv company said they are sure its a issue with the game seeing it only happens on this game every other its fine as well as movies and shows ect.
    Post edited by meatboy_180 on
  • Same issue, fixed it by messing around with the tv setting but we shouldn't have to, this could easily be fixed on EA's end.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Tonysl79 wrote: »
    Why did ea do this? I’ve never had to do this on any other previous nhl game. What’s the thought process behind this?

The presentation team made the choice to take advantage of the full HD frame. I have actually been surprised at how many people have their TVs set to not take advantage of the full aspect ratio.

I know the team is looking at a horizontal calibration for those that have older TVs but seeing the line changes cut off, although a calibration could be added to move them in, is an indication that you are missing out on real estate on ice that you could benefit from as well.

Definitely do as Socair suggests and look at your picture settings/aspect ration and try to get it to work there first as it will benefit being able to see more rather than bringing the overlays in more.

And as a reminder, you will want to move your scoreclock as far to the bottom as possible. If you are seeing a black bar of any kind below the clock or see it floating into the ice when the camera is to the bottom of the screen rather than only blocking what is beyond the boards, you are missing what could be better calibrated with an aspect ratio on your tv set to take advantage of the full frame and a calibration that moves the scoreclock to the edge of that ratio.
  • @nhlDEV Thank you for the reply. I will try this tonight and post here if is works/doesn't work. Believe me if this is something that can make my experience with ALL games and videos improved, I'm very cool with it. It only surprised me because it was never an obvious problem previously.
  • Follow up. I did go into my TV settings (Sharp Aquos from about 10 years ago). It was set to "stretch" which was causing the problem. Changed to "Dot by Dot" (essentially true resolution) and NHL 20 was no longer a problem. BUT other games were framed by a black box. Went into the PS4 settings and redid the calibration (which would have been done previously but on stretch so it would not be accurate), and now all games are working fine. A weird issue, but solved.
  • Exactly the same here. The only other game that does this for me is Fire Pro Wrestling World.

Not a huge deal to fit to screen, but EA should really address this, because the game is fantastic this year.
  • I have a fairly new tv and no matter what aspect I set my lines are cut off. I have my video setting to game as well