EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

AI Problems

I'll just list and explain the problems I've noted so far.

1.) Overpassing

AI passes way too often, even on Pro difficulty. I find them constantly passing backward on breakaways because there is an open player 20 feet behind them. They pass back and forth along the blue line until either the opposition intercepts it or they miss the pass.

2.) Just being dumb

It's like the players don't have eyes this year. I can't count how many times they skate right into an opposing player despite the fact that there's plenty of time to react and account for the oncoming player.

3.) They can't press the opposition.

The AI is absolutely incapable of holding possession for more than thirty seconds without doing one of the following:
a.) Overpassing, thus leading to a turnover
b.) Backward passing, thus leading to a turnover
c.) Running into the opposition

I swear, they ONLY look for one-timers.

The gameplay is pretty good this year. However, as far as I've seen, the AI is more frustrating this year by a LONG shot.

Can anyone tip me on how I could adjust sliders to fix some of this? Or is this beyond my control?

Replies

• Could I be being picky and/or be expecting too much realism out of a game? Is my judgment of realism way incorrect? Probably.
  • Not being picky or dumb...it’s called EA NHL but plays nothing like NHL or any type of actual
    Hockey. The AI is as dumb as ever, the goalies are as dumb and useless as ever, and the overall experience is poor and unchanged for years. Your points are all valid.
  • Yeah, I was watching a youtube video of a cpu vs cpu and, wow, a few things that sorely stuck out after only watching 1 period of what was probably a "competitive" style game:

1. Passes backwards through the legs. The player who's making the pass that is. And some of them were bullet stretch passes out of the zone. Ridiculous.
    2. AI has no idea how to pick up a puck off the end boards. They always run into it when skating back to retrieve a puck. Looks awful.
    3. With time and space, they love skating into a passive defender and turning the puck over
    4. Too much aimless wandering, but that's always been a thing.

It seems clear to me that building a new AI would interfere with HUT and the DDA scheme and would just be too much work for any dev team to keep the HUT racket afloat while doing so.
  • I only have 15 minutes left in my early access and have only been playing WoC modes. Do the AI defence get caught behind the net and/or run into their own goalie still?
  • Oshimai wrote: »
    I only have 15 minutes left in my early access and have only been playing WoC modes. Do the AI defence get caught behind the net and/or run into their own goalie still?

They sure do in drop in eashl games. Still hold the puck in the corner of the defensive zone waiting for the right time to turn it over too.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    They sure do in drop in eashl games. Still hold the puck in the corner of the defensive zone waiting for the right time to turn it over too.

That's disappointing, you'd think by this generation we'd have AI competent enough to play or hold the puck properly behind the net to evade a forechecker, complete a line change or set up a rush.
  • Another thing I have to note:

The AI often passes right to the other team as if it were intentional.
  • In the AI's defense, the game makes do that quite a bit too...