EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Rip off year 3

Prev1
Oh EA how I love the company you’ve become. Charging the insanely high price of eighty dollars right out of the gates, and for a game that’s been recycled 3 times now, it’s absurd people are still buying it, let alone preordering it for twice as much money. The only reason you’re still around is because your consumers are literally brainless, it doesn’t take a genius to see you’ve ruined the game of hockey. I can’t even express the frustration and disappointment I’ve had in these games the past years. How about you guys work on making one game proper before launching the next one?? You don’t need to release a whole damn game just for roster updates, which aren’t even right some of the time.

Replies

• Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • jathegr892
    17 posts Member
    edited September 13
    Feels good not buying this 2nd year in a row. definitely will buy it again second hand for $40 cash. Which what I did previously. I give it a month before it ends up in pawn shops or backpages online.
    Post edited by jathegr892 on
  • fastguy2124
    45 posts Member
    edited September 13
    jathegr892 wrote: »
    Feels good not buying this 2nd year in a row. definitely will buy it again second hand for $40 cash. Which what I did previously

Yup that’s also what I decided I’d do, if I even end up buying this garbage it’ll be no more than $40 because I’m my opinion that’s what the game is worth. Especially when they only add new features in two modes besides hut (which is the only one consistently getting changes and upgrades)

• Taste-D-Rainbow
    2385 posts Member
    edited September 13
    hut (which is the only one consistently getting changes and upgrades

Every year I hear this argument and I always enjoy rebutting it.

This year HUT got ... wait for it ... Squad Battles. That is all.

Franchise got a new coaching system, tweaks to moral, chemistry, tighter scouting, trade finder, among other things.

Chel got Eliminator, couch Ones, more customization, more rinks. What more can they possibly add that doesnt exist already?

last year

HUT got challenges. Whoopity doo!

Chel got an entirely new experience from the ground up.

For the love of God you people need to stop saying HUT gets all the bells and whistles because it's the cash cow. The only support it gets post launch is cards. Nothing more. And I'm a HUT guy!
  • We got a downgraded version of 19. I've posted this in a few different places in these forums but I will again because I'm so disappointed. Why the hell is there a commentator telling you what you select at the menus? It's annoying to say the least. Is it for people who understand english but can't read? Are they trying to cater to the visually impaired? Why does the time clock go all the way across the bottom of the screen? Why is the commentator so excited about just a regular old pass in gameplay? It feels like your guy is on a merrygoround when you try to turn. Thanks for the super exciting couple different slapshot animations EA. What a joke. I've played this game every season but this one is far the worst. Whomever makes the decisions for this game should be fired. Unbelievable.
  • Kingpn69
    23 posts Member
    edited September 13
    I’m not trying to be mean here so I apologize in advance if you think I am. But I do object to you calling me brainless.

See, I look at most things as a $/hr value. No matter how bad nhl is, I still need the newest to eventually play the market and build my hut team for free. The amount I play easily lowers the $/hr value and in the end, it’s more then affordable.

BUT:

How in the heck could anyone ever think nhl 20 would be any different then past years with the new consoles coming out next year?

You would think EA was already creating the new gen versions of each sports game as they wouldn’t want to embarrass themselves again like last gen. if they disappoint then, then it’s a free for all.

Just look what apple did. Most people already knew that the new iPhone & iPad would not be a big difference. (Which they weren’t) They are waiting for 2020. Apple played it safe (like sports games) and only added a few new things. The reviews try to make it look good, but in the end the sales will tell the story.

I paid the discounted pre-order price because I need my hockey fix and there is nothing else. The only extra money I spend on packs is the pre order (20% discount). I then utilize the market for the rest of my team.

I used to pay for hockey a month later at $25.00 for many years until I got into HUT. That’s when I realized that I to like to rebuild year in, year out, and I like the market challenge. So yes they get their money from me but most don’t play HUT. People need to speak with their wallets.

Be a pro, franchise, Chel are all pretty boring now as you don’t have anything to work towards. Yes there’s a few perks but come on really?

EASHL is fun for drop ins and teams and is very good in most ways (IMO)

HERE IS IMPORTANT!!!!!

I still can’t believe that anyone from any company has not utilized be a pro to be able to be used across all modes.

You should be able to build your be a pro in both offline and online by the amount of time you play. Eventually he would be your 99 player in all modes. Now this gives me a reason to play my be a pro player. I’m sorry but giving us 1 99 player will not hurt their pocket books.

• [quote="Kingpn69;c-2088054"

EASHL is fun for drop ins and teams and is very good in most ways (IMO)

[/quote]

The outdoor drop ins for 6's was destroyed. Very few people care for it in its current form.
  • Players will always buy it and EA is counting on that, I didn't this year and more than likely may be done, I'll give it a few years and see if it bounces back, but I doubt it.
  • Froommey
    617 posts Member
    edited September 13
    Thats true, many of them who rant they buy. Look around now after they bought ! I will wait for updates and see if I like what I see. My 1,5 hour rest of Trial enough to watch for what I am looking for. NHL Season is under preparation so it’s not urgent. Useful Roster update not to await before end of November cause of this stupid AHL waiver Also a lot of work to create again the much missing Players of the game. EA gave us not a minimum option to transfer Players from 19 to 20 and that’s sad.
  • GramerProfesur
    444 posts Member
    edited September 13
    hut (which is the only one consistently getting changes and upgrades

Every year I hear this argument and I always enjoy rebutting it.

This year HUT got ... wait for it ... Squad Battles. That is all.

Franchise got a new coaching system, tweaks to moral, chemistry, tighter scouting, trade finder, among other things.

Chel got Eliminator, couch Ones, more customization, more rinks. What more can they possibly add that doesnt exist already?

last year

HUT got challenges. Whoopity doo!

Chel got an entirely new experience from the ground up.

For the love of God you people need to stop saying HUT gets all the bells and whistles because it's the cash cow. The only support it gets post launch is cards. Nothing more. And I'm a HUT guy!

This is laughably wrong.. offline and in EASHL this game is bone bare. It could virtually be a copy of 19. Ones and Threes are old modes, it’s just now you don’t get a second chance if you lose it’s back to the first level. The only thing WOC got was some small customization items and Chel Challenges which are pretty boring

Legends and alumni were specifically put in the game for HUT.
  • sethamphetamines
    329 posts Member
    edited September 13
    Why the hell is there a commentator telling you what you select at the menus?

Hahahahahahahhahahaha

Because you turned it on in the accessibility menu.

• Counterpoint:

Sports titles come out yearly. This will not change for the foreseeable future. $60 US/ $80 CAD is the price for new release games. This will also not change. Very few games are released under $60, even less coming from a major company . I love the "This sub par game shouldn't have a AAA price tag" crowd. It's such a facile argument.

And the hypocrisy of the community is comical:
    "Hey EA, Stop adding dumb stuff and fix your gameplay"
    EA adds very few new features and spends a majority of this cycle working on shot animations, pickups, and goalies, you know... gameplay fixes.
    "OMG 20 is just a re-skin of 19, EA is such a joke robbing me of $60" There's nothing new!

Tbh I wouldn't listen to 90% of the community either with posts like these.
  • Remember the year EA took off and relased a nhl 13, a game that was so dry and then NHL 14.

Try doing that again. It worked. Maybe get a HNIC and NBC theme going... You know... How fifa has different options.. Maybe toss in a french broadcast team, punjabi seems to be killing it on saturday nights in canada.

At ea NHL you have only one version of presentation

At ea Fifa, you get broadcast in french, spanish, italian and english! Wow and champions league.

I think I'll just never buy the game the more i think about how little effort goes into this title. At this point, bring back NHL 93 to NHL 95 features And I'll be happy.
  • GramerProfesur
    444 posts Member
    edited September 13
    Counterpoint:

Sports titles come out yearly. This will not change for the foreseeable future. $60 US/ $80 CAD is the price for new release games. This will also not change. Very few games are released under $60, even less coming from a major company . I love the "This sub par game shouldn't have a AAA price tag" crowd. It's such a facile argument.

And the hypocrisy of the community is comical:
    "Hey EA, Stop adding dumb stuff and fix your gameplay"
    EA adds very few new features and spends a majority of this cycle working on shot animations, pickups, and goalies, you know... gameplay fixes.
    "OMG 20 is just a re-skin of 19, EA is such a joke robbing me of $60" There's nothing new!

Tbh I wouldn't listen to 90% of the community either with posts like these.

Goalies are not any better... they still get sniped very easily and are useless down low. I haven’t seen the deflections or unique saves (besides holding shot to the chest, whee) we were promised. They’re there but barely utilized by the AI and if they are it’s deflected out of play. Its just not that big of a change to say it took up a lot of time and resource away from other things. The shooting is great, but we are lacking so so much in other GAMEPLAY aspects

Not to mention they STILL haven’t touched goalies outside of the crease playing the puck
  • jathegr892 wrote: »
    Remember the year EA took off and relased a nhl 13, a game that was so dry and then NHL 14.

Try doing that again. It worked. Maybe get a HNIC and NBC theme going... You know... How fifa has different options.. Maybe toss in a french broadcast team, punjabi seems to be killing it on saturday nights in canada.

At ea NHL you have only one version of presentation

At ea Fifa, you get broadcast in french, spanish, italian and english! Wow and champions league.

I think I'll just never buy the game the more i think about how little effort goes into this title. At this point, bring back NHL 93 to NHL 95 features And I'll be happy.

I really couldn't care less about having a bunch of different broadcasts. By far, that is not the biggest issue in this game for me. Obviously others may like this, but it isn't for me.
  • My point about the broadcast is exposing an issue that fifa can do all this amazing stuff and madden has cloud and nhl is still having issues with skating. Imagine if fifa had walking and running issues lol.

Im just stating why is EA hockey not caring and removing great feedback features from the past and tossing in unnecessary feature like battle royal hockey... That's not what we asked. Its as if they just ignore their consumers feedback.
  • I bought it in Walmart today for 49.99. Probably only worth like 30 bucks but it’s the only hockey game to buy so oh well 🤷🏾‍♂️
  • @GramerProfesur EASHL already has league 6v6, league 3v3, dropin 6v6, dropin 3v3, Ones, Ones eliminator. What more can possibly be added but depth to these already existing modes?
  • Tonysl79 wrote: »
    I bought it in Walmart today for 49.99. Probably only worth like 30 bucks but it’s the only hockey game to buy so oh well 🤷🏾‍♂️

Yep that's how they get us :s I waited all of last year for Legends patch that never came, so I can finally use with 20. So that's what got me this year unfortunately. Wish Sony Interactive would make one, but oh well.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2385 posts Member
    edited September 14
    Tonysl79 wrote: »
    I bought it in Walmart today for 49.99. Probably only worth like 30 bucks but it’s the only hockey game to buy so oh well 🤷🏾‍♂️

Calling bluff. Unless you're American and managed to get $10 or you preordered during the E3 and are Canadian ... I'm very curious how you got that deal.