EA Forums - Banner

What happened to Goalie Intelligence

Prev1
What happened to the touted “Goalie Intelligence”? I haven’t seen it. This is directly from the EA NHL 20 site.

Goalie Intelligence
New goaltender A.I. includes full offensive threat analysis, allowing goalies to read the positioning and threat level of every attack before actively controlling rebounds and redirecting pucks away from danger.

Well I just had a game where Lundqvist dropped to his knees in that canned pads out animation....4.....4 freakin rebounds came off his pads without a single movement by him until my opponent finally put it past him.....where was that threat analysis? Where was the actively controlling rebounds?

I’ve seen so much of the same old garbage from goalies. Enough to say the new goalie Intelligence doesn’t exist. It’s the same as 17,18, and 19

Replies

• It’s worse. I’ve averaged about 2.5 goals a game for years in HUT. So far after 12 games I’m over 4 goals per game. I didn’t suddenly become a offensive genius.......
  • Treatmentworke66
    977 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    jake19ny wrote: »
    What happened to the touted “Goalie Intelligence”? I haven’t seen it. This is directly from the EA NHL 20 site.

Goalie Intelligence
    New goaltender A.I. includes full offensive threat analysis, allowing goalies to read the positioning and threat level of every attack before actively controlling rebounds and redirecting pucks away from danger.

Well I just had a game where Lundqvist dropped to his knees in that canned pads out animation....4.....4 freakin rebounds came off his pads without a single movement by him until my opponent finally put it past him.....where was that threat analysis? Where was the actively controlling rebounds?

I’ve seen so much of the same old garbage from goalies. Enough to say the new goalie Intelligence doesn’t exist. It’s the same as 17,18, and 19

I knew this was bunch of crap from the start , remember last year's game at release when the goalies were actually good and a lot of the cheese goals were harder score ,and a lot of the elites weren't happy ,so EA made the goalies trash again ,bacon has a video on it ,so I doubt very much the goalies will ever be good

[Socair - edited profanity short hand]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • This is getting painful to watch and play......can anyone show me a an actual replay of a real life goalie dropping to his knees and remaining motionless before an opponent even takes a shot. I didn’t think goalies could be worse than previous years. The fact the killed the ability to play defense and have forwards super human abilities just magnifies how bad they are. This years game was clearly designed to be a 100% arcade experience to pacify the little kiddies, twitch streamers, and influencers. Pathetic.
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    This is getting painful to watch and play......can anyone show me a an actual replay of a real life goalie dropping to his knees and remaining motionless before an opponent even takes a shot. I didn’t think goalies could be worse than previous years. The fact the killed the ability to play defense and have forwards super human abilities just magnifies how bad they are. This years game was clearly designed to be a 100% arcade experience to pacify the little kiddies, twitch streamers, and influencers. Pathetic.

100% agreed. 10 games online up by 3 in every game. Here comes the 3rd period I lose by 3. EA magic at its worse.

Thanks for another forgettable year.
    This is getting painful to watch and play......can anyone show me a an actual replay of a real life goalie dropping to his knees and remaining motionless before an opponent even takes a shot. I didn’t think goalies could be worse than previous years. The fact the killed the ability to play defense and have forwards super human abilities just magnifies how bad they are. This years game was clearly designed to be a 100% arcade experience to pacify the little kiddies, twitch streamers, and influencers. Pathetic.

Couldn't agree more with you but ,to be fair some of the streamers and some game changers have said that the game needs some adjustments made to the game
  • This is now beyond pathetic. Playing 9-7 games isn’t fun for hockey fans but I guess this the arcade mode the kiddies and cheesers want so bad. Goalies drop to their knees before shots or passes are even made. It looks so stupid and the results are worse
  • The new goalie threat analysis is a joke ,they are the worst they have ever been ,and now the elite have a new glitch wrap because the GOALIES ARE PATHETIC come on fix this game
  • The new goalie threat analysis is a joke ,they are the worst they have ever been ,and now the elite have a new glitch wrap because the GOALIES ARE PATHETIC come on fix this game

I find they constantly let in weak 5 hole goals, whiffed muffin shots,... Just weak ability overall. And that's using an 86 ovr 6'4" Murray in net. Seems the weaker the chance or shot, the better odds of scoring.

I find they constantly let in weak 5 hole goals, whiffed muffin shots,... Just weak ability overall. And that's using an 86 ovr 6'4" Murray in net. Seems the weaker the chance or shot, the better odds of scoring.

That’s because despite saying they improved goalies they didn’t. Same unrealistic positioning and movement, same AI issues, same glitch goals go in.....it’s been the same for years. EA just keeps churning out silly modes and gimmicks rather than try and improve obvious flaws in their games core AI.
  • It is unbelievable that no goalie will stop a pss 2 inches in front of him and every onetimer goes in.
  • This needs a bump....the goalies are pathetic. So sick of watching my goalie drop to his knees before the puck is even shot and leaving half the net open while remaining motionless while the puck floats in....and do they have any idea where the posts are?
    This needs a bump....the goalies are pathetic. So sick of watching my goalie drop to his knees before the puck is even shot and leaving half the net open while remaining motionless while the puck floats in....and do they have any idea where the posts are?

Are you using a butterfly goalie by chance? As they drop down quicker and are more susceptible to top corner cheese, and I've noticed my 86 Hovinen doesn't like hugging the post at all, so gets beat by short side top cheese even from close in.
    This needs a bump....the goalies are pathetic. So sick of watching my goalie drop to his knees before the puck is even shot and leaving half the net open while remaining motionless while the puck floats in....and do they have any idea where the posts are?

Are you using a butterfly goalie by chance? As they drop down quicker and are more susceptible to top corner cheese, and I've noticed my 86 Hovinen doesn't like hugging the post at all, so gets beat by short side top cheese even from close in.

I’ve tried them all they are all pathetic. It’s the AI it’s terrible.
  • I've been asking about this since the game came out the goalies are just terrible in my opinion worst than last year
  • Lol. I just played a game and I scored on my first 3 shots my opponent scored on his first two shots. The end of the first was 4-3 me shots 6 me 5 my opponent. This happens all the time
  • Lol... Mr Jake those games happen quite a bit in 20 ..because the goalie intelligence is a myth
  • Lol... Mr Jake those games happen quite a bit in 20 ..because the goalie intelligence is a myth

The final was 7-6 me. I had 13 shots he had 10. Look at those numbers. Pathetic. We actually both played really well defensively and every goal was lame. I had 2 short handed goals just by stepping over the line and shooting lol
  • Not only AI is terrible. I like to play G position but sometimes everything goes in, whatever you do.
    Look at this video, this is not five hole, but this year goalie has much more holes I think. It seems that puck is changing its trajectory just to find the way into the net and find my hole. What do you think? I often see such behavior in many cases. So this year goalies are here primarily to "get the goals" instead of "make a saves" :D

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Atm2GtF_9IchlqBOwoMiay4jkpYfuw?e=9k0QcH
  • Ampereturn wrote: »
    Not only AI is terrible. I like to play G position but sometimes everything goes in, whatever you do.
    Look at this video, this is not five hole, but this year goalie has much more holes I think. It seems that puck is changing its trajectory just to find the way into the net and find my hole. What do you think? I often see such behavior in many cases. So this year goalies are here primarily to "get the goals" instead of "make a saves" :D

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Atm2GtF_9IchlqBOwoMiay4jkpYfuw?e=9k0QcH

Goalies always raise their pads off the ice to let 5 hole goals go in. They're horrible at holding their position on guaranteed saves if they were to no move. They always seem to want to twitch last second, just enough, to let a goal go in.

Overall, goalies are either walls or sieves. No middle ground.
  • Dear @NHLDev, could you please look at this and try to improve goalie's ability to make a perfect save?
    I like to play G position but sometimes everything goes in, whatever you do :D
    Thank you in advance!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Atm2GtF_9IchlqBaCIVXQrMleSAXiw?e=mMVX2g

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Atm2GtF_9IchlqBbLzQo_CiXX6voUg?e=IPhqXj