EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

image
Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

yea so, about Squad Battles....

Prev1
Look I know this may have seemed like a great idea but its really not all that good. Its making the game way too grindy and im already sick of it.

First of all, in order to rank high and claim those much needed rewards , you have to play 4 full games against the cpu a day (8 on weekends)....I dont know about anyone else but I personally hate playing the cpu, let alone spending 2-3 hours everyday just mindlessly grinding these games out!

I mean its been almost two weeks and I haven't even played that many online games yet because all Ive had time for is: Squad Battles, Squad Battles, oh yea , and more Squad Battles!

Can we at least reduce the refresh rate on these to maybe like 3 a week?? Also reduce the period length???

The 2 minute period hut challenges are fine (even though I hate those too) because at least you can just bang them out quickly....

Anyway something has to be done with the squad battles , its just way too much...

Replies

  • Welcome to modern, AAA gaming. Where you're not just buying a game you're buying a part-time job.

    Just remember that games and game modes like HUT are designed to prey upon people's FOMO. They're designed to make you feel like you have to keep grinding day after day just to keep up and "claim those much needed rewards".

    If you're not having fun playing, stop. In the long run "Missing out" on some in game items because you don't want to grind for hours a day on a mode you don't enjoy isn't the end of the world.
  • Above1988
    80 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Welcome to modern, AAA gaming. Where you're not just buying a game you're buying a part-time job.

    Just remember that games and game modes like HUT are designed to prey upon people's FOMO. They're designed to make you feel like you have to keep grinding day after day just to keep up and "claim those much needed rewards".

    If you're not having fun playing, stop. In the long run "Missing out" on some in game items because you don't want to grind for hours a day on a mode you don't enjoy isn't the end of the world.

    Yea and then you cant compete in Div 1 or comp seasons anymore and the game becomes unplayable because the people who dont have a life outside of hut stay on top and continue to rake in all the coins and best players through this nonsense...

    I get your point about modern gaming but we're not talking about fortnite skins or unnecessary cosmetics...the game is basically grind or pay to win now. Whats the point?! Is this a competive sports game or a just a fantasy hockey RPG now??
  • Above1988 wrote: »
    Welcome to modern, AAA gaming. Where you're not just buying a game you're buying a part-time job.

    Just remember that games and game modes like HUT are designed to prey upon people's FOMO. They're designed to make you feel like you have to keep grinding day after day just to keep up and "claim those much needed rewards".

    If you're not having fun playing, stop. In the long run "Missing out" on some in game items because you don't want to grind for hours a day on a mode you don't enjoy isn't the end of the world.

    Yea and then you cant compete in Div 1 or comp seasons anymore and the game becomes unplayable because the people who dont have a life outside of hut stay on top and continue to rake in all the coins and best players through this nonsense...

    I get your point about modern gaming but we're not talking about fortnite skins or unnecessary cosmetics...the game is basically grind or pay to win now. Whats the point?! Is this a competive sports game or a just a fantasy hockey RPG now??

    Seems to me you're answering your own question...all card modes in all games are P2W. You can either invest your money, or your time (or both). Or you can not invest anything, but then you don't get to complain, because that is what those game modes are. They are all like that, and there's a reason for it...that's where the money is...if you don't like it, dust off your PS2 and go back to NHL04 or something. Not trying to be harsh, but you would think that by 2019, the core of what the mode is wouldn't seem so foreign to people anymore.
  • Eldur74 wrote: »
    Above1988 wrote: »
    Welcome to modern, AAA gaming. Where you're not just buying a game you're buying a part-time job.

    Just remember that games and game modes like HUT are designed to prey upon people's FOMO. They're designed to make you feel like you have to keep grinding day after day just to keep up and "claim those much needed rewards".

    If you're not having fun playing, stop. In the long run "Missing out" on some in game items because you don't want to grind for hours a day on a mode you don't enjoy isn't the end of the world.

    Yea and then you cant compete in Div 1 or comp seasons anymore and the game becomes unplayable because the people who dont have a life outside of hut stay on top and continue to rake in all the coins and best players through this nonsense...

    I get your point about modern gaming but we're not talking about fortnite skins or unnecessary cosmetics...the game is basically grind or pay to win now. Whats the point?! Is this a competive sports game or a just a fantasy hockey RPG now??

    Seems to me you're answering your own question...all card modes in all games are P2W. You can either invest your money, or your time (or both). Or you can not invest anything, but then you don't get to complain, because that is what those game modes are. They are all like that, and there's a reason for it...that's where the money is...if you don't like it, dust off your PS2 and go back to NHL04 or something. Not trying to be harsh, but you would think that by 2019, the core of what the mode is wouldn't seem so foreign to people anymore.

    Dude, everybody on these forums is complaining about something.

    Im just providing feedback on a new gamemode that I think is unnecessarily tedious. Thats what these forums are for

    Theres no need for you to try to bully your argument with me into submission , its not your call to make ....
  • I'm loving Squad Battles!!

    I don't like to play online and though I agree there are too many games (should be 25 with the feature squad not 37) I get an equal experience with no worries of bad connections and/or being mismatched against a better player and lose 14-2. Being able to choose the difficulty is HUGE!

    Without a doubt the best part for a player like me is that I can earn coins and packs and get a chance at building a lineup of my favorite players. HUT is my favorite mode because of the fantasy hockey and gambling feel but it's not fun when the only way to earn rewards is to get smoked game in and game out. Especially when it's not due to bad play but a bad connection.

    Plus i think it will open HUT to new players that shy away because of the online culture associtated with gaming. I stayed away almost 15 years because of it and know several old school gamers that still do. I hooked one last weekend when they saw Squads.
  • Yeah I'm totally on board with this. Make it 1 game per week, win or lose and everybody gets the exact same card as a reward.

    Nobody should be getting any rewards just for putting in more effort than I'm personally willing to put in.
  • HUT may be tedious or annoying or whatever. If you want to play it at ITS highest level then you have to do whatever is necessary (pay, grind, whatever) if you’re good you can play with a substandard lineup and still compete. It’s all up to you, whatever you want. Sorry you’re just not getting the best cards in your lineup for nothing. If you want to play this game where it’s fairly even and free then play vs mode
  • reengerg
    126 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Shuckandjive I take it you’re being ridiculously sarcastic....
  • I think at most 30 games ... but the best idea would be 20 - 30 games per week , only auto refresh when the weeks season is over , not everyone is available everyday , the refresh every day and on weekends 12 hour is terrible
  • Durk77 wrote: »
    I think at most 30 games ... but the best idea would be 20 - 30 games per week , only auto refresh when the weeks season is over , not everyone is available everyday , the refresh every day and on weekends 12 hour is terrible

    No, no it's not terrible. That gives us offline players something meaningful to play for the first time since they got rid of the tournaments. This franchise has been all about the online (ridiculously laggy) experience for years and some of us welcome the change.
    Not to mention I love being able to see other people's builds and go at them without having to deal with lag, 13 year olds feeling entitled to the world, extreme jackassery or just not being good enough to compete at all.
  • reengerg wrote: »
    HUT may be tedious or annoying or whatever. If you want to play it at ITS highest level then you have to do whatever is necessary (pay, grind, whatever) if you’re good you can play with a substandard lineup and still compete. It’s all up to you, whatever you want. Sorry you’re just not getting the best cards in your lineup for nothing. If you want to play this game where it’s fairly even and free then play vs mode

    i tried it a couple years back and I was moving up the ranks fairly quickly until I ran into the top end where I realized it was pay to win and I just couldnt compete against 99 overall players. Every shot they took would just go in and thats when I decided HUT is not for me.

    VS only online or 6s
  • Shorter periods would be perfect for them otherwise love it
  • For a mode that is basically pay to win, it's good incentive for us offline grinders to get some decent rewards.

    36 is a heck of a lot of games but kudos to those who have the time to play them all. Doesnt look like I will ever get beyond Elite 2. Oh well, anything is better than offline seasons!
  • People are not understanding ...im not saying get rid of squad battles all together.

    All im asking is:

    Does it have to be 4 full games? everyday?
    And 8 on Saturday and Sunday???

    Its going to get old real quick AND just wait until you have to start playing those 99 OVR Squads...

  • Above1988 wrote: »
    People are not understanding ...im not saying get rid of squad battles all together.

    All im asking is:

    Does it have to be 4 full games? everyday?
    And 8 on Saturday and Sunday???

    Its going to get old real quick AND just wait until you have to start playing those 99 OVR Squads...

    Seriously, why does nobody have a problem with this?!

    Right now you have to play 36 games a week against the computer.

    Why is this good?

    Id be alright with 2 new opponents every Mon/Wed/Fri and 4 on weekends but apparently im an idiot and nobody cares
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2489 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Above1988 wrote: »
    Seriously, why does nobody have a problem with this?!
    I dont have a problem because it actual rewards the people who put in the time and effort.

    The only thing that sucks is my ceiling is elite 2 because I will never be able to play the full 36 games and I'm okay with that. Any rewards is better than no rewards.
  • I’m not only good with the way Squad Battles are now, but I want more. NHL HUT is like an mmo. If you don’t pay or put in the time, then you don’t deserve the best items. And I, accept that theory. There are many modes you can play without spending time or money.

    With the exception of the pre order ultimate package, I don’t spend a dime on HUT. I choose to use my time as money.

    I like to play offline more then online for HUT. (Before anyone says anything, yes I do work a full time job and have family)

    I do agree that the games are a bit long but then again I want speed play in online also. In today’s day and age, people are very busy with work and I bet, most of you work more hours then you get paid for. Games are supposed to be fun and they are to give us a break from reality.

    Squad battles gives us offline players more options. This was the last sport to receive them. I’m sure in the future, that we will eventually get things like the gauntlet and the tons of other offline games for HUT that the other games get.
  • VeNOM2099
    3173 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I just wish that Squad Battles incorporated something like 2K's VIP system which tracks a human user's tendencies as well as his Team so when we'd play a Squad, it would be like playing a virtual copy of the user, not just his cards.

    As it is, even on Superstar, the games are almost too easy. The only thing you have to contend with is the AI's uncanny ability to just intercept passes, recover lost pucks and make laser precision passes 15 times in a row from any position, any angle, any time.

    It's a grind, but even if you don't make the top 100, the rewards seem well worth it. I'd rather grind (if I had this game) than spend money on packs.
  • I personally hope they don't change squad battles at all. With the rewards they are offering im ok with a grind where players who put in the most time should be rewarded for their efforts. There are other games modes if you get tired of playing CPU. And this has been the most free to play system i have seen from EA so kudos for that.

    I'm really enjoying playing superstar ai as a change of pace to CS try hards. Playing the ai in an offline setting is where this game shines IMO. I agree with Venom that superstar can be a bit easy at times especially if you are good at scoring, and the cpu can be baited into a lot of penalties. Would be cool to see the cpu play like the player that generated the team.
  • Forza has the 'Drivatar' that mimic the player's style like the VIP and that would be a great addition.

    Good points about the amount of games and having 37 is the right call. Better to have them avaibable than not. I look to get 10 to 15 in a week and I made Pro 2 in that EA Access season and picked up some good stuff. Not so much last week but still enough to reroll for an Icon Collectable.

    I am curious if it's possible to get the chance to play your own team? At least that way I can see what my home sweaters look like.

    Seriously! Always being the road team is beyond tiresome at this point and really needs to change.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!