EA Forums - Banner

Randomness killing the game

sgiz1
537 posts Member
edited September 2019
Played a vs. game last

Opponent scored first, puck was at the point so my goalie came way out of the net ready for shot, he passes the puck forward, goes thru his closest player and thru my defender (a missed pass and missed interception), lands on the stick of another one of his players who was in a net battle right in my goalies face since he was out of the net, skates into my goalie but keeps the puck, spins 180 degrees while my goalie remained out of the net, never moved back in position, and scores. (garbage random goal).

I scored next, fore checked him his own corner trying to break out, stole puck and skated toward net from corner and my AI teammate came flying up cross crease for a one timer goal (good clean goal).

I scored next, carried puck across opponents blue line up the right board, juked left but kept going straight, opponent hit the breaks so I blew by him, charged the net from right side for a one on one with goalie, scored far side in close wrist shot. (good clean goal).

He score next, took a shot from the point, misses the net by 5 feet wide, hits my defender and deflects right into the net for a goal. (garbage random goal).

He scores again, skates into corner, does a loop around and drives the net, I step up to check him so he shoots early to avoid turnover, puck rebounds at a perfect 45 degree far side where his teammate grabs the puck and shoots for a goal. (garbage random goal.)

So I quit, even though it was late 2nd period and I had plenty of time to try to tie it up, I'm tired of working the hell out of the controller, working hard to get good opportunities, grinding for good goals and the opponent scores so easily on random bounces, second/third chance goals from deflections and bounces, or pucks going thru skaters and ends up on the stick of another player by accident.

This is why NHL series is dying, EA tried so hard to simulate real hockey, but real hockey isn't meant for a video game, getting lucky thru randomness and chaos does not make for a good video game, this takes away from control and skill, control and skill are negated by randomness/luck/chaos, that may be realistic, but its not fun, and games are supposed to be fun, not stressful and frustrating having your precision and hard work be negated by "oops" stuff.

Replies

• That’s part of hockey though...like you said. Sometimes the puck luck goes your way...sometimes it doesn’t. The key is to remember...it is just a video game and to keep the rage monster tamed.
    You should of kept playing.
  • That’s part of hockey though...like you said. Sometimes the puck luck goes your way...sometimes it doesn’t. The key is to remember...it is just a video game and to keep the rage monster tamed.

This statement is only true in theory. We could chalk it up to that’s hockey if random events and teammate AI play did g play such a big roll in the outcome of games. These online match ups should come down to skill vs skill followed by team make up not random momentum swings and random AI play that is completely out of user control.
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    That’s part of hockey though...like you said. Sometimes the puck luck goes your way...sometimes it doesn’t. The key is to remember...it is just a video game and to keep the rage monster tamed.

This statement is only true in theory. We could chalk it up to that’s hockey if random events and teammate AI play did g play such a big roll in the outcome of games. These online match ups should come down to skill vs skill followed by team make up not random momentum swings and random AI play that is completely out of user control.
    The only way it would be completely in your control is if it where one vs one...with no goalies.
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    That’s part of hockey though...like you said. Sometimes the puck luck goes your way...sometimes it doesn’t. The key is to remember...it is just a video game and to keep the rage monster tamed.

The only way it would be completely in your control is if it where one vs one...with no goalies.

I get that but when your AI either plays stellar or are totally useless is a random event and the players you have on your team and their ratings appear to be meaningless. If that’s supposed to replicate the ebbs and flows or better yet the ups and downs of how real hockey is them EA should just admit that it’s part of their design. Like I said too many things out of user control contribute to outcomes of games.
  • I get and totally agree randomness is a part of hockey. Pucks deflects, hits a skate or two and next thing you know it's in the net. It happens.

But this game... It feels like forced randomness. How many poke checks just grow straight to an opponent's stick? How many rebounds just magically go to an open attacker? Yes I know, shortened periods and it's a video game, but still doesn't change the fact doesn't feel all that random to me.

If it were truly random, there would be many more battles for loose pucks than we currently see. Many more pucks would just bounce or deflect off of sticks. Pucks would just be sitting there inches from players skates, waiting to be picked up.
  • I get and totally agree randomness is a part of hockey. Pucks deflects, hits a skate or two and next thing you know it's in the net. It happens.

But this game... It feels like forced randomness. How many poke checks just grow straight to an opponent's stick? How many rebounds just magically go to an open attacker? Yes I know, shortened periods and it's a video game, but still doesn't change the fact doesn't feel all that random to me.

If it were truly random, there would be many more battles for loose pucks than we currently see. Many more pucks would just bounce or deflect off of sticks. Pucks would just be sitting there inches from players skates, waiting to be picked up.

Ya I wish the puck was more “loose” seems to be to “magnetic”
  • TR4N23
    31 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Randomness keeps players in it. It's done for business purposes, so obvious.

[Removed call out]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • Without the randomness, the average player never feels like he is just one good player away from being competitive, thus going straight to the store and spending money to get said edge.
    Randomness is in every card team building sport game out there and serves only the purpose of the company's bottom line. The faster you realize this, the easiest it is to be at peace with the whole thing.