EA Forums - Banner

Difficulty Getting The Puck

There are many times where I swipe the puck with my poke check, stick left the guy or even hit him and he still has the puck continuously. It’s frustrating when you hit a guy, poke check him and he’s still skating with the puck. The poke check is risky to use so the chances of knocking the puck free when connecting with it should be higher.

Replies

• Yes, but i think its better than the way it used to be where you could barely skate with the puck at all, the puck carrier would lose the puck in Every single one on one or anytime they got slightly bumped, and each teams defense consisted of rapidly pressing L1 poke checking a million times a game on every single play.

The skating and puck control does get a little over powered when the ice tilt that they say isn't real gets a hold of the game and the results that everyone notices happen, for the most part you have to be infront of the guy rely on the auto poke check instead but then there's times where no matter what you do you will not take the puck from a skater for a few minutes as they can freely wheel around doing litterally whatever they want
  • rogers2487 wrote: »
    Yes, but i think its better than the way it used to be where you could barely skate with the puck at all, the puck carrier would lose the puck in Every single one on one or anytime they got slightly bumped, and each teams defense consisted of rapidly pressing L1 poke checking a million times a game on every single play.

The skating and puck control does get a little over powered when the ice tilt that they say isn't real gets a hold of the game and the results that everyone notices happen, for the most part you have to be infront of the guy rely on the auto poke check instead but then there's times where no matter what you do you will not take the puck from a skater for a few minutes as they can freely wheel around doing litterally whatever they want

I completely and totally disagree with everything in this post.

Poke checking a million times died in NHL 18. You cannot spam at all in 19, but I assume you know this and actually played it. There were also tons of threads and replies about people saying they hardly poke check and causes a tripping call. Remember that?

Please explain to me what is "auto poke checks".

Please explain to me how ice tilt functions in EASHL with 12 players. How does EA decide which single player, or players, gets this infamous "ice tilt" advantage?
  • You missed my point, I agree poke check spamming is dead and I like it that way. The OP was complaining about how hard it is to get the puck and while i agree sometimes it gets a bit rediculious especially when the tilt is against you, it's better than the days of old with the poke spamming.

Auto poke is when your just skating near the puck carrier, you don't stick lift, poke, or hit the guy, and you just kinda drift infront of him.(Its the most effective way to get the puck right now) but you'll hear several clicks And the game is essentially auto poke checking for you while you just drift theres no risk of a penalty and more times than not you'll get the puck
  • Sorry its a lengthy read and I trail off in places but the jist of it is there are certain aspects of the game that are not user controlled and are pre programmed and the user has no control over it.

Ice tilt is obvious when a player skates faster than everyone else out of the blue, and can skate through every stick check no matter how many times you poke it or lift him. He still maintains full control of the puck, usually gets bouncy goals the goalie should easily save or just flubs for no reason. Bounces off every hit aswell.

On the other side of the ice guys are bobbling passes have difficulty gaining possession of loose pucks, are slow to gain speed, and usually miss the net or hit the post on wide open nets.

Alot of it is aspects of the game the user has no control over, the best we can do is skate close to a loose puck, if the programming dont pick the puck up or randomly bobbles it, that's not user error thats a random occurance the game created. Same as shots missing the net or hitting post, we as users are really limited in the accuracy of our shots. Snipers with 90+ accuracy frequently miss clean open shots and sail it wide, that's a random thing the programming decides, it's not like the user pressed up on the stick wrong. And the user shot aiming isnt an exact science.

The point is theres many things in the game the user just simply has little to no control over and has to rely on the programming for, and sometimes the user can press all the right button and do everything right and it dosent equate to success in the game, and the opposite is true too where you do almost everything wrong and are rewarded and I think people translate that randomness and lack of control to ice tilt. If your playing and a guy scores 4 goals on 5 shots and all of them hit your goalie and trickled in or were from aweful angles and were desperate shots, meanwhile you have 40 shots and have been shut down by 20 desperation saves or are.just having one of those games where everyone.of your players is slower than theirs, it's hard not to think the ice is tilted, t

There's commentary in the game, atleast there was last year referring to the ice being tilted, and in 20 there are highlights that feature "momentum shifts" how is this not a pre programmed aspect that handicaps one player while giving boosts to another. It has nothing to do with user input but instead controls those "lucky" bounces, acceleration of players, and decides if youll pick up a puck or recieve a pass cleanly or bobble it.
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    If you want to discuss ice tilt please continue this discussion here, especially since the OP never mentionned it.
  • rogers2487 wrote: »
    You missed my point, I agree poke check spamming is dead and I like it that way. The OP was complaining about how hard it is to get the puck and while i agree sometimes it gets a bit rediculious especially when the tilt is against you, it's better than the days of old with the poke spamming.

Auto poke is when your just skating near the puck carrier, you don't stick lift, poke, or hit the guy, and you just kinda drift infront of him.(Its the most effective way to get the puck right now) but you'll hear several clicks And the game is essentially auto poke checking for you while you just drift theres no risk of a penalty and more times than not you'll get the puck

The OP is saying how hard it is to get the puck. The issue is physical contact was toned down this year a bit, puck control is obviously too high, and it is incredibly easy to shrug off body checks. It has nothing to do with or without tilt. The game went more arcade this year and it seems fairly obvious in the way it plays. Even gameplay got sped up and somehow goalies are even worse.
    Also, poke checks don't seem to be working as intended. Alot of successful pokes seem as if they don't register properly and therefore you can't really dislodge the puck.

What you refer to as auto pokes, it is actually called stick on stick contact. Also called incidental contact. It isn't a lift or a poke. As you say, when you "drift" in front of a player, you are just breaking the link between his stick and the puck, the same way you would if you skated through a stick in real life. You will disrupt puck possession unless that player moves his stick out of your path.
    And yes, I agree incidental contact is more reliable than going flat out for a body check.