EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

AI is Still Awful

Prev13456789

Give me one reason that this player passes backward on a breakaway and I'll shut up about the AI.

Replies

• Go to 0:20 for it. Ignore my annoying as 17-yr-old voice.
  • jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    The AI is brutal. I had a 2 on 0 and just as I decided to hit pass for the one timer my AI teammate stopped skating, turned, and skated the other way. My pass went into to the corner to nobody
    Post edited by jake19ny on
  • Its the worst it's been since 17. I dont understand how you can make them dumber tham last year. EA just sucks. Just sell the rights to NHL and let someone else make it.
  • the current AI is really awful... in the moment I don´t have fun to Play NHL20
  • The best AI this series saw was the NHL 19 early access build....but for whatever reason they changed that weeks later
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    The best AI this series saw was the NHL 19 early access build....but for whatever reason they changed that weeks later

It was changed to accommodate the 14 streamers that were complaining that goalies made saves and that they were getting knocked off the puck when they never pass.
  • Yeah, I've had enough. I realized after a while that you cannot change how smart the AI is with sliders. Thus, until the AI is improved, I'm not playing NHL 20. I went back to BOTH NHL 18 AND NHL 19 last night and had more fun playing those! With enough work, I could probably make those similar to today's game.
  • The AI this year is pretty horrible, especially when it comes to passing. And what is with the constant passing off the boards thing the AI does way too much?? Several times, the pass doesn't go where it should and the AI literally skates over the puck he just passed. It's as if once the puck leaves his stick, the AI intelligence drops and he is no longer aware of a loose puck.

I'm not sure how this AI logic made it past testing at EA, unless EA skipped the testing to make us their $60 testers.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I find this type of thread kind of funny.

See, one side is people complaining the AI is too OP. They block every pass, the player just needs to sit in the slot and let the AI do all the work, it isn't defense if you skillzone , bla bla.

Then you have the other side where people complain the AI is too weak and "dumb".

The devs do not know which leg to stand on. They are trying to please both sides at the same time. Funny part is, the forwards never change their tactics. They always use the same garbage moves to score. So, players start skillzoning to defend those same garbage plays all the time. One would think forwards would change their strategies and change up how they play to counter it. Nope, better to complain that D always does the same plays to defend the "always same plays". This community cracks me up. God forbid if someone actually has to play hockey and put in some work to score.... If forwards are complaining that defense always uses the same tactics to defend, doesn't that tell you that forwards are always doing the same things?

Another thing about skillzoning. Why were people using this strategy? Is it because the backdoor AI defender kept abandoning his post therefore creating the almost guaranteed one-timer goal? Is it because player switching is far from great and isn't reliable? Is it because even if you pressure the carrier, he just shrugs off all physical contact and all you successfully did was pull yourself out of position? Yea, those 3 reasons pretty much sums it all up. So, EA doesn't fix the AI abandoning his post. Player switching is still kind of bad. First couple of weeks NHL 19 actually had decent physical play and you could knock carriers over to take the puck, but it got removed. Not to mention, goalies were actually doing their jobs and saving the garbage low quality shots.

Nope, instead, EA leaves all the problems in place, and just dumbs down the AI to the point of where they stand in position and watch you play hockey. It wasn't and still isn't the solution. Fix the 3 reasons stated above and players will actually play the carrier and not skillzone.

You remove the ability to go end-to-end all the time without a single pass and of course you have to score on every rush and if it doesn't happen, it's "fix your game EA. It's trash. Goalies are making saves and defense can strip the puck".
  • simpyforzibby
    101 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I find this type of thread kind of funny.

See, one side is people complaining the AI is too OP. They block every pass, the player just needs to sit in the slot and let the AI do all the work, it isn't defense if you skillzone , bla bla.

Then you have the other side where people complain the AI is too weak and "dumb".

The devs do not know which leg to stand on. They are trying to please both sides at the same time. Funny part is, the forwards never change their tactics. They always use the same garbage moves to score. So, players start skillzoning to defend those same garbage plays all the time. One would think forwards would change their strategies and change up how they play to counter it. Nope, better to complain that D always does the same plays to defend the "always same plays". This community cracks me up. God forbid if someone actually has to play hockey and put in some work to score.... If forwards are complaining that defense always uses the same tactics to defend, doesn't that tell you that forwards are always doing the same things?

You remove the ability to go end-to-end all the time without a single pass and of course you have to score on every rush and if it doesn't happen, it's "fix your game EA. It's trash. Goalies are making saves and defense can strip the puck".

Sire, I'm talking about AI v AI play.

And IMO, I think the AI isn't challenging enough this year. Even on Superstar I'm able to use the same playstyle and not get punished.
    Post edited by simpyforzibby on
  • I find this type of thread kind of funny.

And IMO, I think the AI isn't challenging enough this year. Even on Superstar I'm able to use the same playstyle and not get punished.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but it seems you are only confirming my point.
  • Yep. Insanely bad. I posted pictures of a breakaway too but it actually wasn't as bad as this haha.

Then you have the third group who think it's both of these.
    Some games you can literally put down your controller everytime you loose the puck, your AI will carry you. Other games they will abandon the post, opening up for that one-timer all game long, no matter what you do. This changes dynamically, and has nothing to do with how you play.
    Another thing about skillzoning. Why were people using this strategy? Is it because the backdoor AI defender kept abandoning his post therefore creating the almost guaranteed one-timer goal? Is it because player switching is far from great and isn't reliable? Is it because even if you pressure the carrier, he just shrugs off all physical contact and all you successfully did was pull yourself out of position? Yea, those 3 reasons pretty much sums it all up.
    Exactly! The dreaded skillzone D, is mainly a direct result of EA's insistence of protecting players that are holding their stick out to the side. That, and the "dynamic" variance in AI behaviour and player switching.
  • Treatmentworke66
    977 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    jake19ny wrote: »
    The best AI this series saw was the NHL 19 early access build....but for whatever reason they changed that weeks later

It was changed to accommodate the 14 streamers that were complaining that goalies made saves and that they were getting knocked off the puck when they never pass.

Your post is spot on ,do you remember when you could launch your ai against raggers and the ballerina's ,you also didn't see to much of LTIing then either

• Give me one reason that this player passes backward on a breakaway and I'll shut up about the AI.

This is the kind of stuff that moderators/devs claim they want to see as evidence of what needs to be fixed. I feel like they should reply to this with at least an explanation or confirmation they are working on fixing it. This is an extremely basic AI issue that should be viewed as urgent considering how embarrassing it is, yet it's something we've been dealing with for years if not decades.

Heheh...yeah pretty much. Except I don't think the AI is very good in ANY sense except for their superior hot potato passing and unbelievable interceptions.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    jake19ny wrote: »

Your post is spot on ,do you remember when you could launch your ai against raggers and the ballerina's ,you also didn't see to much of LTIing then either

Yea I very well remember. There was no ragging and certainly no LT crap. The first 2 weeks of 19 was simply the best gameplay in over 10 years. It was fast, agile, and you had to involve all your players on the ice to succeed. No hogging and backskating as your main weapon. If you play smart D, forwards were punished.

Look at what happens you you mess with mechanics to accommodate players that just simply do not want to evolve their gameplay. How is this game ever going to change or evolve if it is always reverted back to old ways??

[Socair - edited swear filter]

Heheh...yeah pretty much. Except I don't think the AI is very good in ANY sense except for their superior hot potato passing and unbelievable interceptions.

gonna have to agree with you on that one.
  • Since we usually mostly a 4 person club games, we usually leave the LD position as AI. Holy crap. You would think that there's no way the AI could regress from 19, but... here we are.

PoliteRemoteJackrabbit-size_restricted.gif
  • I know this is off-topic, but WainGretSki is officially my favorite person on these forums.