EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

Coaching Question and Opinions

Does anyone know how coaching even works? I am trying to hire a goalie coach for my AHL team, but every time I do, it says that the position is already taken when it clearly isn’t. It says 0/1 AHL Coach. So why can’t I hire one?

Opinions: Coaching to me just seems like an unnecessary addition to the game. From what I’ve seen, it really doesn’t work. There’s way too much clutter in GM mode right now. I miss the times where you gained line chemistry from having the correct combinations of player types on your team. The way coaching works, player moral, financing, etc, just seems uninteresting and not very enjoyable. I’d love to hear everyone else’s thoughts.

Replies

• I’ve read this article and it doesn’t answer my question.
  • Check the minutes 5:00 and then 11:00 of this video. He fires his NHL goalie coach, promote his AHL goalie coach and then hire a AHL goalie coach successfully.

• TheCaniac17
    13 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I checked this and it sort of helps, but I think a @NHLDev needs to explain this better. How come I can’t hire a new AHL goalie coach after I fire him? Why would I promote/demote my NHL goalie coach to the AHL? Then I just run into the same problem with the NHL goalie coach vacancy. I keep getting, “I would have taken the position, but it’s already filled”. And no. No it’s freakin not. The idea of having coaches and team builds is fine, but it doesn’t work here. It needs to be ironed out.
    Post edited by TheCaniac17 on
  • I checked this and it sort of helps, but I think a @NHLDev needs to explain this better. How come I can’t hire a new AHL goalie coach after I fire him? Why would I promote/demote my NHL goalie coach to the AHL? Then I just run into the same problem with the NHL goalie coach vacancy. I keep getting, “I would have taken the position, but it’s already filled”. And no. No it’s freakin not. The idea of having coaches and team builds is fine, but it doesn’t work here. It needs to be ironed out.

In the video, he promotes his AHL goalie coach to NHL and then hires a new AHL Goalie coach. The first time he tried to hire one it didn’t work, then he tried interviewing the next candidate and realized that there’s a way to hire him as a Goalie coach when you offer the contract. Just above the button to send the offer. I don’t know if it only appears after the interview... I never tried it, don’t play that much Franchise to be honest.

I agree though that it should be explained somewhere on the game (tutorial or something else). That mode is kind of not for beginners at all, they explain some things but not everything. Even the most experienced users have problems with some of it. lol
  • I checked this and it sort of helps, but I think a @NHLDev needs to explain this better. How come I can’t hire a new AHL goalie coach after I fire him? Why would I promote/demote my NHL goalie coach to the AHL? Then I just run into the same problem with the NHL goalie coach vacancy. I keep getting, “I would have taken the position, but it’s already filled”. And no. No it’s freakin not. The idea of having coaches and team builds is fine, but it doesn’t work here. It needs to be ironed out.

In the video, he promotes his AHL goalie coach to NHL and then hires a new AHL Goalie coach. The first time he tried to hire one it didn’t work, then he tried interviewing the next candidate and realized that there’s a way to hire him as a Goalie coach when you offer the contract. Just above the button to send the offer. I don’t know if it only appears after the interview... I never tried it, don’t play that much Franchise to be honest.

I agree though that it should be explained somewhere on the game (tutorial or something else). That mode is kind of not for beginners at all, they explain some things but not everything. Even the most experienced users have problems with some of it. lol

I seen what you were saying and I even rewatched it few times, lol. I’ve been playing franchise mode over the last few years and I don’t mind the challenge, I just don’t want to be frustrated with something that really isn’t explained other than “you can hire and fire coaches at will”. This whole coaching thing is kinda taking away the fun of franchise mode right now.
  • boumbidiboum
    352 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I checked this and it sort of helps, but I think a @NHLDev needs to explain this better. How come I can’t hire a new AHL goalie coach after I fire him? Why would I promote/demote my NHL goalie coach to the AHL? Then I just run into the same problem with the NHL goalie coach vacancy. I keep getting, “I would have taken the position, but it’s already filled”. And no. No it’s freakin not. The idea of having coaches and team builds is fine, but it doesn’t work here. It needs to be ironed out.

I seen what you were saying and I even rewatched it few times, lol. I’ve been playing franchise mode over the last few years and I don’t mind the challenge, I just don’t want to be frustrated with something that really isn’t explained other than “you can hire and fire coaches at will”. This whole coaching thing is kinda taking away the fun of franchise mode right now.

Totally understand. It’s like they are saying: “Here you go! Have fun figuring it out!”

Even finding the best chemistry between lines and coaches seems incomplete or at the very least lacking explanations.

This dude hired two AHL goalie coach. He fired all his coaches and rehired new ones.

Post edited by boumbidiboum on