EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

What situations push the AI to shoot?

Yes, I know, here comes Anthony talking about the AI again.

This isn't as much of a complaint as it is a general question.

I'm genuinely curious. On All-Star and Superstar difficulties, you will notice that when one team is in the offensive zone with all five skaters, said team's defenseman at the point will more than likely pass it between each other rather than pass it down low or even shoot it through traffic.

I get that these AI can't think like a human because, well, they're not human. But many shots are fired from the point, and I just do not see it frequently in this game. Shots from the point result in deflections and random lucky bounces. Get it on net they say.

On a side note, the AI cannot score on the power play, and I believe I've discovered why.

When the AI puck carrier goes to a different position, a different skater will move to the former's POSITION and "cover" for the puck carrier, ultimately leading to no open lanes. Take Washington for example. Ovechkin NEVER moves from that dot. If you try this in EA, Ovechkin (or any left-winger for that matter) will move back to the point to cover for a defenseman. This game doesn't do 1-3-1 power plays, huh?

Replies

• Yes, I know, here comes Anthony talking about the AI again.

This isn't as much of a complaint as it is a general question.

I'm genuinely curious. On All-Star and Superstar difficulties, you will notice that when one team is in the offensive zone with all five skaters, said team's defenseman at the point will more than likely pass it between each other rather than pass it down low or even shoot it through traffic.

I get that these AI can't think like a human because, well, they're not human. But many shots are fired from the point, and I just do not see it frequently in this game. Shots from the point result in deflections and random lucky bounces. Get it on net they say.

On a side note, the AI cannot score on the power play, and I believe I've discovered why.

When the AI puck carrier goes to a different position, a different skater will move to the former's POSITION and "cover" for the puck carrier, ultimately leading to no open lanes. Take Washington for example. Ovechkin NEVER moves from that dot. If you try this in EA, Ovechkin (or any left-winger for that matter) will move back to the point to cover for a defenseman. This game doesn't do 1-3-1 power plays, huh?

Other than pressing L1 (I think, could be R1) to force the AI to shoot in EASHL, I do not know any other factors. I try to stay away from as much AI as possible, so I don't play offline, vs, or HUT.