EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

"Top Players" How is it possible?

How is it possible that when I watch "top players" on Twitch play this game then never have issues with pucks going through their own sticks? Their players are always fast and fluid. Passes are always crisp and quick. Shots are always fast and accurate. They never get destroyed by body checks or are in a "stunned animation" just by being gently caressed.

I ask because it always seems like my team is bound by the opposite of all of this almost all of the time, and it makes it frustrating to play a game where you fight against the forces that be so much that you don't have the ability to play against your actual opponent.

I guess it's pretty easy to be a "top player" when EA gives you all the advantage every single game.

Replies

• It's because the game is not adjusted per player per stat. Your team is batch controlled and is determined by some of the settings, even though your players don't follow them. If you play a 1-4 for example you will not have much luck scoring on a team like this, not because you are not good but because the game simulates how hard a 1-4 team defence is to score on. Even a newer player will get a huge bonus and if you can imagine good players will pick this setting. The next phase is momentum once your opponent gets that first lead they go into hyperdrive, again nothing you as a player can do anything about. There is fairness which is toggled on and off throughout the year. Most times the lower overall team gets better positioning A"un"I" (artificial unintelligent) and some freebie goals like easy deflections and passes which go astray but are vacuumed into the net as if they were plays meant to be. High overall teams get a faster team with more unintelligence imo who take bigger hits ect. Anyway my point is the gameplay is about 90 set by the different strategies and teams put on the ice not by player skill. Of course there is some skill but the skill is mainly knowing how the bad software works then setting up your team to benefit by the fairness engine. When in doubt just go with an 82-83 team it is in the middle where it behaves properly at least. If your team overall goes too high they get stupid and too low can be ok but the games are terrible lay unfun cuz they are gonna be low scoring slow and difficult to handle on both sides. The game rewards a lot of sim behaviour. If you get a 2-0 lead for example it's the worse lead in hockey right? So the game will shortly give your opponent a freebie of some sort. So better change those settings to protect lead. Then that won't happen.. anyway that is the reason the game is so bad it's now fully playing out itself and becoming so uncontrollable you may as well have a broken controller. It's great for people who understand when and how the game opens up cheese spots and that's what this game has become not a game of true skill on a consistent basis. EA has even directly come out and said they believe in a balanced sim. Well that's what is is learn the terrible game engine don't practice your hockey senses.
  • How is it possible that when I watch "top players" on Twitch play this game then never have issues with pucks going through their own sticks? Their players are always fast and fluid. Passes are always crisp and quick. Shots are always fast and accurate. They never get destroyed by body checks or are in a "stunned animation" just by being gently caressed.

I ask because it always seems like my team is bound by the opposite of all of this almost all of the time, and it makes it frustrating to play a game where you fight against the forces that be so much that you don't have the ability to play against your actual opponent.

I guess it's pretty easy to be a "top player" when EA gives you all the advantage every single game.

You obviously watch some different streamers than I do. Shots are not always fast or accurate. The number of times I've heard the current #1 HUT Champion complain about stunted shot animation so the 1-timer is more of a damp squib than a blast to the top corner I can't remember, and until the recent update if you only watched streamers on PS4 it's no surprise you didn't see many destructive body checks - they weren't really in the game on that platform but watch an Xbox player and you'll see plenty of bumps, hits and checks in the top NA streamers.

The other variable that top streamers may have over mere mortals amongst the rest of the gaming community is their home streaming setups require a lot of power, and super fast connections for uploading their video and audio so their download speed as well is going to be super fast compared to many of us. When you add the fact that most NHL streamers are from the USA, Canada or Northern Europe and they are located closer to the EA HUT servers then many of us are they will get the best connection and experience the fastest, smoothest online games that I never see.

Perhaps those may be some reasons you've not had the same experience as the top guys?

• Jetset95 wrote: »
    How is it possible that when I watch "top players" on Twitch play this game then never have issues with pucks going through their own sticks? Their players are always fast and fluid. Passes are always crisp and quick. Shots are always fast and accurate. They never get destroyed by body checks or are in a "stunned animation" just by being gently caressed.

You obviously watch some different streamers than I do. Shots are not always fast or accurate. The number of times I've heard the current #1 HUT Champion complain about stunted shot animation so the 1-timer is more of a damp squib than a blast to the top corner I can't remember, and until the recent update if you only watched streamers on PS4 it's no surprise you didn't see many destructive body checks - they weren't really in the game on that platform but watch an Xbox player and you'll see plenty of bumps, hits and checks in the top NA streamers.

The other variable that top streamers may have over mere mortals amongst the rest of the gaming community is their home streaming setups require a lot of power, and super fast connections for uploading their video and audio so their download speed as well is going to be super fast compared to many of us. When you add the fact that most NHL streamers are from the USA, Canada or Northern Europe and they are located closer to the EA HUT servers then many of us are they will get the best connection and experience the fastest, smoothest online games that I never see.

Perhaps those may be some reasons you've not had the same experience as the top guys?

I can't say my eyes are always glued to the screen either, so maybe I miss some things. I will say that I played the game on both PS4 and currently the Xbox. After a day on the PS4 of playing against Mr. Ragthepuck over and over again I decided to return the game. There's not nearly as much of that on Xbox, but I have DNFed many-a-game for reasons I mentioned in my original post.

Evidently, you can't do anything on your controller AT ALL if you're being interacted with by your opponent (touching, rubbing, bumping, lifting, etc.) This is very bad for you if you're being lagged by the internet or the game coding because you spend basically the whole game NOT being able to control your players/passes/shots/checks/etc.

I've NEVER had a game with over 50% DNF until this one.
  • It’s because top players spam L2 constantly. They are Doing spins and half spins nonstop which created tons of separation since it’s impossible to poke check or check. It’s basketball on ice.
  • The big difference is that they use every glitch or any bug at their advantage, and they are really good at it. I am pretty sure that even if you removed the LTing, they would still dominate. They would find other ways like the sauce glitch and other kind of bugs/glitch that the game have that they can use against others.

It is not about hockey (strategies, passing, positioning, etc...) anymore, but mainly about who knows more glitches and is better at exploiting them. They are very skilled people that is not the problem, the problem is that it is not hockey anymore. It is just a glitch/deke fest. And yes, it look more like basketball than hockey, who is going to miss their chances most loose. High score, low defence.
  • Have you ever wondered why top players (at least in europe) all come from locations quite near of the EA server?

So they have almost zero ping, while others from the rest of europe fight with 30 - 60 ms ping, or even worse. That gives a clear advantage to those players - animations are more fluid, shots are more powerful, AI is much quicker and less dumb and the user-controlled player is much more responsive. Own players are easily bumped and loose the puck, while the other team's players are almost uncheckable. You'll end most of the games with one or even more injured players.

That's 95% of the whole story. Strategies may also be a factor of course. But if you have ever wondered why base cards with 85 speed are faster in the game then players from the other team with 95+ speed - remember my words....

Seems that online-gaming in NHL 20 is a pure scandinavian competition.... Play Online-VS (no servers, just P2P) and you'll see the difference. The advantage of being near the EA server in Stockholm is gone, as the connection to your opponent is the deciding factor.

For that reason I have quit HUT, which is actually a fun mode. But with no even-levelled competition, all efforts into esports will end in a disaster. Hopefully players from other but scandinavian country will also abandon this mode so that EA realizes there's some work to do on their end.