EA Forums - Banner

Please just take out the quit before first faceoff

Prev1
Im really geting tired of readying up and entering a game, only to have my oppenent backout before the first faceoff.

It will happen 2-3 times in a row during hut champs and its a complete waste of time and ridiculous.

If you confirm and ready up your team, and enter the game, then too bad if you then decide that you want to be selective about who you play.

I get that this is also a failsafe for bad connections but then bring back the old load screen with the option to backout of the game BEFORE the game starts if the connection is less than ideal.

9/10 times its just because players are looking for easy wins and its literally ruining stats and the leaderboards as well as just being a major annoyance.

Thank You

Replies

• jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I get what your saying and you make mention of this but it’s necessary....EA servers are such trash that you never know how your connection to that server is until the game is starting....sorry but if I’m at 1 red bar I’m backing out buddy. Fortunately that doesn’t happen often to me but it happens and I’m not playing a laggy skip fest. I don’t remember it being any different with the old load bar....you still had to back out at the game start.

• jake19ny wrote: »
    I get what your saying and you make mention of this but it’s necessary....EA servers are such trash that you never know how your connection to that server is until the game is starting....sorry but if I’m at 1 red bar I’m backing out buddy. Fortunately that doesn’t happen often to me but it happens and I’m not playing a laggy skip fest. I don’t remember it being any different with the old load bar....you still had to back out at the game start.

It used to be that both opponents would enter the lobby and it would show the connection speed so if it was yellow or red you could back out before readying up and starting the game...

The problem was that everybody complained for the same issue that people would repetitively back out when they saw who they were playing against, so now it just throws you into the game without seeing who youre playing.

The fix should be to still have a lobby that both players enter into , without showing who the other player is but still displaying the connection speed and giving each player one last chance to ready up before starting the game. Once the game starts thats it! You confirmed you were ready!

This way you dont have to keep going through starting matches and having people back out. Its such a time waster and theres no reason why anybody should have a problem with this solution.
  • Having 3 green bars doesn't mean a good connection - anything less that 30ms and the game sucks for me so just seeing the bars isn't enough - it's why you can pause the game pre-face off and check the connection and until we have better servers or solid peer-to-peer back in HUT that you'll lose people like that and it may not always be because they see your team name as HUT or you have fast jerseys on.
  • Yeah gotta check the ms green bars so inaccurate lol
  • jake19ny wrote: »

I'll back out of I notice the green bars flash to yellow for a split second. Tells me they're on wifi, and probably not gonna be a good time.
  • It's not the bar color that matters, unless it's red. Take a look at the graph and if it's not totally flat then forget about it altogether. I've played great 120ms flat games and had terrible 30-50ms variable games.
  • Disagree with op. I do not know what team Im going against or the opponents connections until the game starts loading.
  • I'll back out of I notice the green bars flash to yellow for a split second. Tells me they're on wifi, and probably not gonna be a good time.

It doesn't matter what the opponent's connection to the server is in HUT - that would affect their speed not yours. In VS it's still P2P so you do need a good connection to your opponent.
  • Again, this information should be displayed BEFORE the game starts....

Its going to be 2020. We're at the pinnacle of modern gaming. Its unacceptable that EA cant streamline things like this so that its money paying customers have to deal with annoyances to the point where they get stockholm syndromed into thinking its actually good!

Just look at these responses EA. Fix This!
  • Jetset95 wrote: »
    I'll back out of I notice the green bars flash to yellow for a split second. Tells me they're on wifi, and probably not gonna be a good time.

It doesn't matter what the opponent's connection to the server is in HUT - that would affect their speed not yours. In VS it's still P2P so you do need a good connection to your opponent.

Keep telling yourself that. Server just adds a 3rd variable. There's still 2 players inputs that are being synced.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Also, having the connection status be displayed before a match starts isn't an indication that the connection will stay that way once the game's under way. I've seen connection start "green" and 30ms, and then all of a sudden it starts to dip around the 80-100ms.

To me, a good solution would be to use the information the game already provides on network quality: if the connection is deemed "unstable" when it crosses a certain threshold, then the game should prompt you and your opponent that the game will continue but stats and records won't be affected. Even maybe offer both parties to end the game right there if it's unplayable.

But the "Quit" option should be removed from the menu during an online game, period!
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    No thanks. I don't mind backing out before a game starts to not pick up a loss. Plenty of times I play 3's and lose a center, and I absolutely had playing 3s with an AI. I'm not sure about HUT, but in drops, you know someone has dropped when they show the dumb dance animations and right above their names you'll either see CPU(for a player that's dropped) or you'll see their build(SNP, DNG, etc) if they're still in the game. This is how I know if it's full or not.

Wrong.

Take EASHL as an example. Say for the sake of simplicity, everyone has a 500mb connection, but only 1 player has a 25mb connection. Do you think that single player will magically get bumped up to 500mb, or do you think every other player will get bogged down to 25mb? I can assure you the 25 is not getting bumped up to 500.

Wrong.

Take EASHL as an example. Say for the sake of simplicity, everyone has a 500mb connection, but only 1 player has a 25mb connection. Do you think that single player will magically get bumped up to 500mb, or do you think every other player will get bogged down to 25mb? I can assure you the 25 is not getting bumped up to 500.

Well, online gaming doesn't really work that way. I mean, games nowadays REQUIRE about a 5mb download, 2mb upload connection to work properly, so anything extra is just overhead. Of course, if the person with a 25/10 connection has his/her entire family watching Netflix on the same network, while he updates windows and downloading "pron"... Well yeah, chances are his connection is gonna suffer a lot more than the person with a 500/100 connection simply because the former will have less bandwidth to allocate for all that AND the game.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Jetset95 wrote: »

Wrong.

Well, online gaming doesn't really work that way. I mean, games nowadays REQUIRE about a 5mb download, 2mb upload connection to work properly, so anything extra is just overhead. Of course, if the person with a 25/10 connection has his/her entire family watching Netflix on the same network, while he updates windows and downloading "pron"... Well yeah, chances are his connection is gonna suffer a lot more than the person with a 500/100 connection simply because the former will have less bandwidth to allocate for all that AND the game.

All that is cool and all, but the point is, every player will have a connection equivalent to the worst connection in EASHL.

Wrong.

All that is cool and all, but the point is, every player will have a connection equivalent to the worst connection in EASHL.

Chain is only is strong as it's weakest link.

I've played drop in games, where one dude was from australia or Europe or something not north America. It was the absolute worst connection you could imagine. Makes the regular bad games feel playable.

Wrong.

And if the worst connection is 50X faster than what you need in P2P there is no problem.

Wrong.

I've played drop in games, where one dude was from australia or Europe or something not north America. It was the absolute worst connection you could imagine. Makes the regular bad games feel playable.

Thing is that shouldn't be the case anymore since NHL 18, IIRC? I believe that at that point they changed it so that everyone gets their own connection to the server to avoid the old Captain Lag problem. Could be wrong on this, but I believe that's what @NHL_ONL_Producer had explained about it back then?

I know it's supposed to be more complicated than just throwing everyone into the same server as the captain...
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Wrong.

And if the worst connection is 50X faster than what you need in P2P there is no problem.

I am talking about EASHL, which is server based. Yet you are talking about 1 v 1 in P2P. I don't see how that is relevant.

Furthermore, in P2P, one player is the host. That "host" can be downloading all kinds of junk just to bog you down and have an advantage.

I do not see the relevance of your reply in any way, but maybe i am missing it. If that's the case, I apologize but would expect an explanation so I can understand your point.

Wrong.

agreed