EA Forums - Banner

Puck control, what am I missing

The other team is constantly working threw repeated stick checks, while skating in a straight line down the ice. Litterally immune to stick checks, a stick lift, they just get it back instantly and dont.even lose a step. Pokes are 80%trips and even when they do work it goes directly to their teammate. Even when i hit guys they either bounce off, or have time to get up and reclaim the puck before me guys are even aware it was loose.

On the other end my guys are constantly losing control for just getting too close to an opposing player. Litterally just standing in their proximity makes my guy fumble the puck without them doing a stick check or anything just being there.

What am i missing and how can i hold the puck and come up with contested loose pucks better

Replies

• I wish I could figure it out too. I was skating, pushed A to protect the puck, got a push from behind, puck flies off my stick.

• When you get poked, if you aim the right joystick quickly toward where the poke is going, you get it back if it is not to far from you.

For the other things, you probably just do the wrong things a the wrong time or just not properly. Seems like a lack of practice or just a misunderstanding of how the game mechanics works. It can be hard some time against some skilled player to poke the puck or hit them. Some players are very good at protecting the puck and anticipating your moves, you just need to be very precise and know what you need to do.
  • Lol that's just a fancy way to say "play better D" its not that!!

My guys are losing the puck without them poking or stick lifting or hitting, just being near my guy makes him lose control. Then they can warp their sticks threw my legs arms and skates, and I hear the stick check noise, that click, but they instantly recover the puck without losing a single step.

The worst is when a guy can just coast and you hear the damm stick check noise 12 times and he still just coasts around with it. No skill moves no good deaks nothing that takes any real talent. Almost like they aren't even pressing any buttons.
  • This is almost certainly because your opponent has the takeaway kings synergy active. This essentially is auto takeaways based off of in game momentum. I have tried this synergy at times its very strong and at times you expect takeaways and it doesn't do takeaways . Its randomly useful and hard to use because its so inconsistent. Its the AI doing it though not the player. Its part of the strength of the team build of your opponent though not much you can go except strategize how you play and avoid carrying the puck as much as possible.
  • IWDTCG wrote: »
    This is almost certainly because your opponent has the takeaway kings synergy active. This essentially is auto takeaways based off of in game momentum. I have tried this synergy at times its very strong and at times you expect takeaways and it doesn't do takeaways . Its randomly useful and hard to use because its so inconsistent. Its the AI doing it though not the player. Its part of the strength of the team build of your opponent though not much you can go except strategize how you play and avoid carrying the puck as much as possible.

Posts like this is exactly the reason I stopped checking this forum out last year - a boost in stick checking and defensive awareness attributes you get with TK does not equate to auto takeaways. The devs have posted about the mechanics of stick checking many times on these forums - in relation more to tripping penalties, but the info is useful to know how to use the stick effectively as well.

• Yes, they probably have some players with high attributes. Still not impossible to get the puck, just require more precision and timing.

When you get close to other players and your in possession, you really need to make sure that you keep space or your body between them and the puck, if you don’t, they might take the puck automatically without pressing any button. It shouldn’t (my opinion), but I think that they did this to help people that lack defensive skills to make it a little bit easier.

Anyway, all the defensive manoeuvres are pretty hard to do successfully without taking penalties. They overpowered the offense little bit to much this year. You still can poke, hit and all that, it is just more difficult than all the offensive stuffs. I think it is to have high scoring games (which are not realistic), but with a little more turnovers and action.
  • Jetset95 wrote: »
    IWDTCG wrote: »
    This is almost certainly because your opponent has the takeaway kings synergy active. This essentially is auto takeaways based off of in game momentum. I have tried this synergy at times its very strong and at times you expect takeaways and it doesn't do takeaways . Its randomly useful and hard to use because its so inconsistent. Its the AI doing it though not the player. Its part of the strength of the team build of your opponent though not much you can go except strategize how you play and avoid carrying the puck as much as possible.

Posts like this is exactly the reason I stopped checking this forum out last year - a boost in stick checking and defensive awareness attributes you get with TK does not equate to auto takeaways. The devs have posted about the mechanics of stick checking many times on these forums - in relation more to tripping penalties, but the info is useful to know how to use the stick effectively as well.

Yes let's believe the guy who says he stopped checking the forum but is on the forum posting.

I've tried this synergy and that's how it works my players did auto takeaways often with that build and never do it on my other builds. And for fact I am not into stick checking and can guarantee it was not my player skill doing the takeaways so whatever the developers are posting is ambiguous tongue and cheek talk with lots of room for misinterpretation and you are falsely swayed by whatever you read. The developers probably also insist the L3 button still does hustle too right? Believe what you want but let the Op read this and experiment and see.

• sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    Everything about this game is based on your quality of connection to EA servers/opponents.

The lower latency connection (nothing to do with better internet) but the better your connection to EA servers and your opponents = in game calculations completing before your opponents or visa versa.

Anytime there is an action, when a player initiates an action on another player, at the programming level the battle is initiated where attributes, etc. calculate and the lower latency connection will win these initiated battles whether it's protecting puck, poking/stick lifting, loose puck battle, puck pick ups, etc. the lower latency connection completes it's computations first will win the action.

It is really as if the high latency players are ghosts out there, as long as there aren't any clean player on player initiations/battles you may be fine, but otherwise you are fighting a losing battle, you will lose the puck, you can't get the puck, you won't pick up loose pucks, pokes are late, passes are late, skating is slower, actions are delayed, etc.

This all comes down to EA refusing to spend the money to increase server capacity, add more servers, and most of all update/reprogram their net code.

• IWDTCG wrote: »
    Jetset95 wrote: »
    IWDTCG wrote: »

Yes let's believe the guy who says he stopped checking the forum but is on the forum posting.

I've tried this synergy and that's how it works my players did auto takeaways often with that build and never do it on my other builds. And for fact I am not into stick checking and can guarantee it was not my player skill doing the takeaways so whatever the developers are posting is ambiguous tongue and cheek talk with lots of room for misinterpretation and you are falsely swayed by whatever you read. The developers probably also insist the L3 button still does hustle too right? Believe what you want but let the Op read this and experiment and see.

I didn't write all of this - learn to use the forum and read what people say....
    Posts like this is exactly the reason I stopped checking this forum out last year

Stopped checking the forum last year doesn't mean I can't do it when the new game comes out this year - doh!
  • The other team is constantly working threw repeated stick checks, while skating in a straight line down the ice. Litterally immune to stick checks, a stick lift, they just get it back instantly and dont.even lose a step. Pokes are 80%trips and even when they do work it goes directly to their teammate. Even when i hit guys they either bounce off, or have time to get up and reclaim the puck before me guys are even aware it was loose.

On the other end my guys are constantly losing control for just getting too close to an opposing player. Litterally just standing in their proximity makes my guy fumble the puck without them doing a stick check or anything just being there.

What am i missing and how can i hold the puck and come up with contested loose pucks better

Looking alot like lag to me or your opponent has a bit better of a connection. The way you describe it, it's as if your opponent has like a full second ahead of you on his screen.
  • net_rogue1
    55 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    Everything about this game is based on your quality of connection to EA servers/opponents.

The lower latency connection (nothing to do with better internet) but the better your connection to EA servers and your opponents = in game calculations completing before your opponents or visa versa.

Anytime there is an action, when a player initiates an action on another player, at the programming level the battle is initiated where attributes, etc. calculate and the lower latency connection will win these initiated battles whether it's protecting puck, poking/stick lifting, loose puck battle, puck pick ups, etc. the lower latency connection completes it's computations first will win the action.

It is really as if the high latency players are ghosts out there, as long as there aren't any clean player on player initiations/battles you may be fine, but otherwise you are fighting a losing battle, you will lose the puck, you can't get the puck, you won't pick up loose pucks, pokes are late, passes are late, skating is slower, actions are delayed, etc.

This all comes down to EA refusing to spend the money to increase server capacity, add more servers, and most of all update/reprogram their net code.

Thank you, this stated perfectly. This right here is why there will never be parity in competitive play between Pacific, Central, and Eastern regions unless the servers are cranked to accommodate. If you have a better ping, you stand a far greater chance at an unbalanced win.

Present release being the exception, ever wonder why most people enjoy playing beta releases over the full release? Because the EA server's full capacity is not realised during beta, therefore everything runs smooth as butter and it's enjoyable. Fast forward to full release and much more people have now purchased and servers are sputtering fumes due to capacity and are creating 75% of the percieved issues brought up in these forums. And to think... this happens while the population is consistently considered to be LOW.