EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Sliders Help

I need some help with how to make the following occur using sliders:

-Goalies coming out of the net to play the puck behind the net more often
-Making the AI just overall tougher to play against. AI Learning and Difficulty Adjustment don't do a lot.

There's a major problem. PRO is too easy and ALL-STAR is too hard unless you just play the waiting game of intercepting the ALL-STAR's hot potato passes, going on breakaways and scoring. It's no fun to play against SUPERSTAR as they clearly are just always faster than you.

IMO, PRO is the most realistic and fun AI. But it's too easy to play against them.

Replies

• I agree 100% with the OP.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed the weird discrepancy between Pro and All-Star. Pro is fun to play, but too easy (does the AI even attempt to hit in Pro? I always end up something like 20-3 in the hits category). All-Star turns into "watch the pass for 2 minutes" even with good positioning, and Possession ends up weighted 3:1 on the AI's side.

Also, goalies never play the puck enough, especially behind the net but also skating forward to meet the puck. Pucks that cross within a foot or two wide of the post should be shoved into the corner by the goalie, or played behind the net, but 9/10 he just watches it coast in and kiss the back wall as your defense smacks himself off the wall trying to recover.
  • The goalies used to go in the corner or just out of their circle to play the puck in previous game versions (15-16-17) around that, but they would catch the puck to close of the prohibited zone (corner) or just loose the puck to the opponent too often. It was giving players power plays and easy empty net goal a little bit to much. The AI didn’t seem intelligent enough to chose when to do it or not, so they lower it down to almost never if not completely removed it. I know that if your goalie as higher agression attribute, they will be more likely to take risks, but they don’t really go out like they used too and/or should for realism. I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think there’s a slider for this. It is probably hard coded or hidden to us.

For the difficulty, I play on Superstar so I am not sure how pro and all star are exactly. I would say that I tried the Full SIM option in the slider menu and the game seemed slower and a little bit more realistic, it was still a little bit to easy to score goals, but better. It felt less arcade like. (Slower pace and more circling of the puck) Maybe that would help or just going with all star but using the sliders to lower the speed and make it less arcade like. It is so subjective, I am trying to make Superstar harder and didn’t find a perfect setting yet. I believe some of the main settings are hidden from us.
  • Steven5470
    349 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I have the same issue with sliders and difficulty. PRO is fairly easy, while All Star turns the AI relentless. But Superstar actually feels like All Star. It's all so backwards this year. What we need, and have been asking for the past few years, is a balanced difficulty solely based on player ratings.

Every "player game play slider" is going to have an effect on the player ratings even at 0. Remove all sliders that affect the player and let the game play be dictated by the player ratings. You do this, and I bet the whole "ice tilt" fiasco will go away.

I've mentioned this before, but older games "back in the day" were player rating based. If I had a player with a 99 speed, he skated as if he had a 99 speed. Behind the scenes, the game has become more complicated than it should. It's the old saying, too much is not always a good thing.

Sliders should be for things like audio, clock speed, period length, camera angles, etc. All non-player based.
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Check some of the more "sim" slider-sets over at operationssports and tweak them to your liking. If you get used to true broadcast, slower and more sloppy gameplay - you can have som fun in NHL 20. I play on all-star with some nerfs to the CPU, mainly passing and puck control.
  • bryta47 wrote: »
    Check some of the more "sim" slider-sets over at operationssports and tweak them to your liking. If you get used to true broadcast, slower and more sloppy gameplay - you can have som fun in NHL 20. I play on all-star with some nerfs to the CPU, mainly passing and puck control.

This is exactly what I do. I made a slider set based on Cycloniac's settings. It's too sloppy but I prefer the slow gameplay. I improve a couple things, destroy a couple of others, etc.