EA Forums - Banner

delete

Prev1
Yuri19Hockey
30 posts Member
edited November 2019
1
Post edited by Yuri19Hockey on

Replies

  • Let's make a note too that you can't catch a 90mph slap-shot on your stick and just move along with the puck like it just sticks there with no physics affecting it.
  • Don’t think you realize how many shots are blocked in an NHL game.. if they’re just going to sit in the slot and try and block the shot you have to walk in and then shoot. Shot blocks should increase and be given new animations, not decrease and be punished for doing so
  • There needs to be more of a penalty to blocking shots. So many shots get blocked because everyone just sits in the slot and takes a 90mph clapper like it's nothing. Quick shake of the leg and on you go. There should be an animation similar to the injury animation where you lay on the ice for 4 seconds after blocking a really fast shot.

    Hahahahaha. No. Not all shots get through. That's hockey. If I block a shot, you took a bad shot. If I block a shot and not actively blocking, I get a freaking injury for just being where I need to be. No thanks.
  • I don’t really get it, it seems pretty realistic to me. Right now, there’s already injuries that can occur if you block a fast shot poorly and they already get useless for a second or two after blocking a fast shot, you see the player shaking it off. Honestly, if you see a player in front of you, you either have to move or take a low shot and wish it goes through/deflect. That’s hockey to me, it is almost like saying that pass interceptions should be impossible, if you send the puck directly to a player they will probably catch it.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    There needs to be more of a penalty to blocking shots. So many shots get blocked because everyone just sits in the slot and takes a 90mph clapper like it's nothing. Quick shake of the leg and on you go. There should be an animation similar to the injury animation where you lay on the ice for 4 seconds after blocking a really fast shot.

    Hahahahaha. No. Not all shots get through. That's hockey. If I block a shot, you took a bad shot. If I block a shot and not actively blocking, I get a freaking injury for just being where I need to be. No thanks.

    Yea gotta agree with you and the GramerProfesur. If someone's in your shooting lane, pass it over or find another lane to the net. Also agree we shouldn't be injured on a shot and therefore punished for being in a good position. 4 minute periods ya know. Don't need to spend half of it injured.
  • jrago73
    489 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    I remember around nhl12ish you could crank up slapshots really high and knock the legs out from under guys and injure them. I used to aim for the better players on the other team.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    There needs to be more of a penalty to blocking shots. So many shots get blocked because everyone just sits in the slot and takes a 90mph clapper like it's nothing. Quick shake of the leg and on you go. There should be an animation similar to the injury animation where you lay on the ice for 4 seconds after blocking a really fast shot.

    Hahahahaha. No. Not all shots get through. That's hockey. If I block a shot, you took a bad shot. If I block a shot and not actively blocking, I get a freaking injury for just being where I need to be. No thanks.

    Yea gotta agree with you and the GramerProfesur. If someone's in your shooting lane, pass it over or find another lane to the net. Also agree we shouldn't be injured on a shot and therefore punished for being in a good position. 4 minute periods ya know. Don't need to spend half of it injured.

    Exactly. This game makes defense tedious enough, now you're going to randomly injure me for half a period and make it that much harder because, unlike real life, there's no line change for my injured self.
  • Yuri19Hockey
    30 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    delete
    Post edited by Yuri19Hockey on
  • TheMajjam
    736 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    There needs to be more of a penalty to blocking shots. So many shots get blocked because everyone just sits in the slot and takes a 90mph clapper like it's nothing. Quick shake of the leg and on you go. There should be an animation similar to the injury animation where you lay on the ice for 4 seconds after blocking a really fast shot.

    Hahahahaha. No. Not all shots get through. That's hockey. If I block a shot, you took a bad shot. If I block a shot and not actively blocking, I get a freaking injury for just being where I need to be. No thanks.

    Yea gotta agree with you and the GramerProfesur. If someone's in your shooting lane, pass it over or find another lane to the net. Also agree we shouldn't be injured on a shot and therefore punished for being in a good position. 4 minute periods ya know. Don't need to spend half of it injured.

    Exactly. This game makes defense tedious enough, now you're going to randomly injure me for half a period and make it that much harder because, unlike real life, there's no line change for my injured self.

    I'm not talking about wrist shots. I'm talking about slapshots.
    Also side note, there needs to be a better stick-block shot animation.
    If your stick is perfectly aimed at the puck at the time of the shot, it should deflect it.
    An extremely common play.



    As of right now, there's literally no reason not to stand right in front of a one-timer over and over.
    People get out of the way in real life. And if you don't, you get hurt.

    You must have never watched Rangers hockey when Torts was around.

    On a serious note, I'm going to double down here and say... yeah no. You literally want penalties for playing defense in an already defensively gimped game! You literally want people to move out of the way of your cross-crease power forward one-timers or get penalized for standing in the way. LOL.

    Forward players are hilarious.
  • Yuri19Hockey
    30 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    I play Defense. I don’t think it should be “injured” just a slightly longer delay in regaining yourself after. I’m all for improving realism and getting close to sim as possible. I get your points though.
  • I play Defense. I don’t think it should be “injured” just a slightly longer delay in regaining yourself after. I’m all for improving realism and getting close to sim as possible. I get your points though.

    I don't think that any pure defensive players will advocate for a longer time stuck in an animation when a slap shot bounces off their ankle and back to the shooter (Like it normally does anyway). Maybe things like this would be great for offline modes, but competitively it just doesn't make sense, you know? 6 out of 10 times if you don't actively block a shot, you get stuck in the hurt animation. Then there's a randomness of being injured after going through the animation.
  • Yuri19Hockey
    30 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    delete
    Post edited by Yuri19Hockey on
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    I play Defense. I don’t think it should be “injured” just a slightly longer delay in regaining yourself after. I’m all for improving realism and getting close to sim as possible. I get your points though.

    I don't think that any pure defensive players will advocate for a longer time stuck in an animation when a slap shot bounces off their ankle and back to the shooter (Like it normally does anyway). Maybe things like this would be great for offline modes, but competitively it just doesn't make sense, you know? 6 out of 10 times if you don't actively block a shot, you get stuck in the hurt animation. Then there's a randomness of being injured after going through the animation.

    Yeah I see what you're saying. Thanks, good discussion.

    Apologies if I sounded hostile.
  • Problem isn't that guys can't get injured blocking shots... problem is that the puck stops dead after being blocked and then the skater hit by the puck can simply skate the other way with it almost instantly.

    Just my my 2 cents.
  • Yuri19Hockey
    30 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    delete
    Post edited by Yuri19Hockey on
  • Arguing about realism of blocked shots sounds pretty funny when you see this happen:



  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Arguing about realism of blocked shots sounds pretty funny when you see this happen:



    Well I think it's fairly obvious what happened there.

    The player forgot the secret code word and that's why he didn't have access to his bench for a line change.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    There needs to be more of a penalty to blocking shots. So many shots get blocked because everyone just sits in the slot and takes a 90mph clapper like it's nothing. Quick shake of the leg and on you go. There should be an animation similar to the injury animation where you lay on the ice for 4 seconds after blocking a really fast shot.

    I get what you're saying, but blocked shots are a part of hockey. What EA's NHL gets wrong is HOW they're blocked. When a player goes down to block a shot, he'll put his legs first and not just plop down like a sack of potatoes on the ice and take the puck on his arms, or thighs or even his head.

    2nd, blocking shots multiple times SHOULD have consequences as this clip shows:



    Like... Ouch! My man must've needed a whole bottle of Advils to sleep on the flight home. But yeah, as you can see Ek was NOT just able to shake if off after a "stuttering animation" after receiving the shot(s) on his leg. He visibly was in pain and could barely stand on his skates.

    Also notice how the puck didn't magically find its way back to a Montreal Canadiens' blade when it bounced off Ek? See how the puck goes out the zone and the Habs have to recollect the puck on the first shot? Then the second shot the puck takes a high bounce and again, the Habs have to chase it down to collect the rebound? Even the third blocked shot, the puck doesn't bounce straight back to Weber, it just sort of dies and slowly slides towards him.

    That's what this game needs. Better, more realistic puck physics.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    That's what this game needs. Better, more realistic puck physics.

    No kidding. Things like this happen multiple times per game. It's ridiculous.



  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    There needs to be more of a penalty to blocking shots. So many shots get blocked because everyone just sits in the slot and takes a 90mph clapper like it's nothing. Quick shake of the leg and on you go. There should be an animation similar to the injury animation where you lay on the ice for 4 seconds after blocking a really fast shot.

    Hahahahaha. No. Not all shots get through. That's hockey. If I block a shot, you took a bad shot. If I block a shot and not actively blocking, I get a freaking injury for just being where I need to be. No thanks.

    Yea gotta agree with you and the GramerProfesur. If someone's in your shooting lane, pass it over or find another lane to the net. Also agree we shouldn't be injured on a shot and therefore punished for being in a good position. 4 minute periods ya know. Don't need to spend half of it injured.

    Exactly. This game makes defense tedious enough, now you're going to randomly injure me for half a period and make it that much harder because, unlike real life, there's no line change for my injured self.

    I'm not talking about wrist shots. I'm talking about slapshots.
    Also side note, there needs to be a better stick-block shot animation.
    If your stick is perfectly aimed at the puck at the time of the shot, it should deflect it.
    An extremely common play.



    As of right now, there's literally no reason not to stand right in front of a one-timer over and over.
    People get out of the way in real life. And if you don't, you get hurt.

    I totally understand your point of view.

    However, you have to take into consideration that in real life, you can be injured for days or weeks. Also, there are 4 lines and 60 minutes per game.

    I am all for realism, but in a game with 4 minute periods, you are essentially punishing people for being in position and doing the smart thing. In this case, I think it is a realism that we don't need, nor would it benefit the game in a competitive environment. Forwards have already quite a few advantages that are not all that realistic and this would just add to the list of advantages that is already long enough, at least, to me. Not to mention, goalies are not that great either, which is not comparable to real life.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!