EA Forums - Banner

New Gameplay Leadership

13Next

Replies

• Ha Ha! Of all the things I didn’t know I wanted, the Leo Decaprio Champagne Glass of Approval Seal ranks surprisingly high. B)
  • Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    SpillGal wrote: »
    I don't get why the game making money is a bad thing to you guys.
    Who said that the game making money is a bad thing? All I have seen is statements pointing to how it's a bad thing to prey on children and people with addictive personalities. I'm certain we can agree on that?
    It's not like the sole focus is on HUT.
    Did you read the investorcall transcript i linked to?

Here's a little outtake for you, showing how they measure everything on how many players it will ultimately bring in to Ultimate Team:
    "First, we're very happy with VOLTA, again -- and what we've talked about over the years is our objective around our FIFA franchise more broadly is really to think about FIFA as a platform, and how can we build features that attract new audiences to the game. We did that with the journey with story mode for a number of years. We do that with the World Cup content last year and we're doing that with VOLTA this year, with the express purpose of bringing new fan into the game and reigniting the passions of lapse fans who may be not played FIFA for some time.
    As a result of that [Indecipherable] as we talked about in the prepared remarks, VOLTA is the second most played mode in the game. And so -- and games across the board, engagement across the board is up in FIFA. So we're very, very happy about that.
    In terms of what impact that has on Ultimate Team? What we do continually discover is that Ultimate Team has a mode with these core motivations of collection and competition and social interaction at the very core often where players ultimately find they're spending most of their time. And so, even as we bought players into the game around the journey, even as we bought players into the game around the World Cup content last year, and even as we bring plays into the game around VOLTA this year, we do see a positive impact that has on Ultimate Team over time as players come together with their friends and engage in what is one of the most fun part of the FIFA experience. And so our expectation is that it will continue to drive that growth that Ultimate Team -- all the overwork done in Ultimate Team in of itself drove growth. But the combination of that in bringing new fans through VOLTA effectively drove our Ultimate Team performance.
    And you should expect that we'll continue to think about our FIFA franchise and our Madden franchise in this way around building new modes to bring people in and then helping them find their friends in the mode, they love them."

Between WoC and Franchise Mode, there's been significant work on both of those whereas HUT really doesn't change that much.
    World of Chel:
    • Outdoor arenas, clown gear and dreadful shadows on the ice.
    • Hockey bags
    • Threes
    • Arcade Threes
    • Mascots
    • Ones
    • Removal of lobbies

Franchise Mode:
    • Expansion Team

HUT:
    • Competitive Seasons
    • HUT Champions
    • HUT Challenges
    • Squad Battles
    • Daily challenges
    • Monthly rewards
    • Seasonal Tournaments
    • Moved to servers (While Vs is being neglected)
    • New Action House
    • New search filters
    • Loan players and legends

I think you might have fallen for their marketing.
    It's the same gameplay as the rest of the game. There's a huge amount of focus on gameplay which which benefits everyone. Without that HUT money, you'd very likely see less attention given to the game.
    If you really want to take a non-biased look at this. Try finding the positive feedback given after the alleged "huge amount of focus on gameplay". Then consider if you might have been fooled.

How are they preying on children? There's nothing that says, hey kids, come give us your money. I would be willing to bet the majority of people spending money on this game are actual adults. There are potential addictions everywhere we go. Sugar, alcohol, smoking, food, relationships, etc. For the minority of people facing these issues, they should get help with their addiction. That doesn't mean the overwhelming amount of people that know how to safely manage their money should be affected.

Yes. I'm well aware of EA's focus on Ultimate Team. I don't blame them. It's an incredibly popular mode. I'm sure if you kept making more money year after year, you'd keep doing what you're doing as well. They have a huge company with thousands of employees. Not to mention the outrageous cost of making games these days. Making money is crucial to funding these games that are our entertainment.

If all the focus was on HUT, the game would be called NHL HUT 20. Except for BAP and OVP, other modes aren't exactly ignored. The stuff you mention as being added to HUT isn't exactly revolutionary or groundbreaking. They are making new features using a ton of existing assets and mechanics. It's not like they overhauled HUT and left the rest of the game unchanged. You choose to focus on HUT because for whatever reason, people think it's bad for the game. You're using your own bias against a mode you don't have interest in to make claims that it's all EA cares about.

Again, the majority of changes have come in gameplay. Whether or not you choose to see that is up to you, but it's obvious gameplay is very different than where it was a couple years ago. Speaking of which, you're totally ignoring the probably 95% of people that don't come to the forums. The hardcore crowd that is here makes up a fraction of the community. You're basing your claims that there's no positivity about gameplay on a group that is highly toxic and will find any reason to complain because they hate EA. If you guys really think you can make a better game, find a way to do it.

I don't hate EA per say...they're around to make money but spouting lies and hiding the same game breaking bugs year after year and pretending they fixed them leaves a sour taste in anyones mouth. I've been on here for prob 10 years and don't post much any more. Why? Because the silence is deafening. And yes there are bugs still in the game from TEN YEARS AGO. Inexcusable. If they focused so much on gameplay, then why is it so bad and play NOTHING like real hockey?

They ask for feedback, then quietly ignore it until next year's game comes out, then they act as if they care again for 2 months, rinse,repeat. That's why people have turned on EA

How are they spouting lies? It's also kind of the point of any for profit company to make money. This game making money is only good for it.

What game breaking bugs are in the game from 10 years ago? If they were truly game breaking, you wouldn't be able to play.

How is the silence deafening? There are tons of posts from EANHLDev.

I just don't see how this game plays nothing like hockey. It's pretty apparent that hockey is being played. Yeah, it's never going to be a 1:1 recreation of the real sport, but it seems you're being a little extreme with your comments about the game not resembling hockey.

They haven't ignored feedback. Look at skating alone. There have been many changes that were things people here wanted. It's not as if they copy and paste the game every year and ignore feedback. Sure, not everything gets addressed, but there have been pretty significant updates that the community wanted.
  • Kmahrle83
    367 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Kmahrle83 wrote: »
    Who said that the game making money is a bad thing? All I have seen is statements pointing to how it's a bad thing to prey on children and people with addictive personalities. I'm certain we can agree on that?

Here's a little outtake for you, showing how they measure everything on how many players it will ultimately bring in to Ultimate Team:
    "First, we're very happy with VOLTA, again -- and what we've talked about over the years is our objective around our FIFA franchise more broadly is really to think about FIFA as a platform, and how can we build features that attract new audiences to the game. We did that with the journey with story mode for a number of years. We do that with the World Cup content last year and we're doing that with VOLTA this year, with the express purpose of bringing new fan into the game and reigniting the passions of lapse fans who may be not played FIFA for some time.
    As a result of that [Indecipherable] as we talked about in the prepared remarks, VOLTA is the second most played mode in the game. And so -- and games across the board, engagement across the board is up in FIFA. So we're very, very happy about that.
    In terms of what impact that has on Ultimate Team? What we do continually discover is that Ultimate Team has a mode with these core motivations of collection and competition and social interaction at the very core often where players ultimately find they're spending most of their time. And so, even as we bought players into the game around the journey, even as we bought players into the game around the World Cup content last year, and even as we bring plays into the game around VOLTA this year, we do see a positive impact that has on Ultimate Team over time as players come together with their friends and engage in what is one of the most fun part of the FIFA experience. And so our expectation is that it will continue to drive that growth that Ultimate Team -- all the overwork done in Ultimate Team in of itself drove growth. But the combination of that in bringing new fans through VOLTA effectively drove our Ultimate Team performance.
    And you should expect that we'll continue to think about our FIFA franchise and our Madden franchise in this way around building new modes to bring people in and then helping them find their friends in the mode, they love them."

Between WoC and Franchise Mode, there's been significant work on both of those whereas HUT really doesn't change that much.
    World of Chel:
    • Hockey bags
    • Threes
    • Arcade Threes
    • Mascots
    • Ones
    • Removal of lobbies

Franchise Mode:
    • Expansion Team

HUT:
    • Competitive Seasons
    • HUT Champions
    • HUT Challenges
    • Squad Battles
    • Daily challenges
    • Monthly rewards
    • Seasonal Tournaments
    • New Action House
    • New search filters

It's the same gameplay as the rest of the game. There's a huge amount of focus on gameplay which which benefits everyone. Without that HUT money, you'd very likely see less attention given to the game.
    If you really want to take a non-biased look at this. Try finding the positive feedback given after the alleged "huge amount of focus on gameplay". Then consider if you might have been fooled.

How are they preying on children? There's nothing that says, hey kids, come give us your money. I would be willing to bet the majority of people spending money on this game are actual adults. There are potential addictions everywhere we go. Sugar, alcohol, smoking, food, relationships, etc. For the minority of people facing these issues, they should get help with their addiction. That doesn't mean the overwhelming amount of people that know how to safely manage their money should be affected.

Yes. I'm well aware of EA's focus on Ultimate Team. I don't blame them. It's an incredibly popular mode. I'm sure if you kept making more money year after year, you'd keep doing what you're doing as well. They have a huge company with thousands of employees. Not to mention the outrageous cost of making games these days. Making money is crucial to funding these games that are our entertainment.

If all the focus was on HUT, the game would be called NHL HUT 20. Except for BAP and OVP, other modes aren't exactly ignored. The stuff you mention as being added to HUT isn't exactly revolutionary or groundbreaking. They are making new features using a ton of existing assets and mechanics. It's not like they overhauled HUT and left the rest of the game unchanged. You choose to focus on HUT because for whatever reason, people think it's bad for the game. You're using your own bias against a mode you don't have interest in to make claims that it's all EA cares about.

Again, the majority of changes have come in gameplay. Whether or not you choose to see that is up to you, but it's obvious gameplay is very different than where it was a couple years ago. Speaking of which, you're totally ignoring the probably 95% of people that don't come to the forums. The hardcore crowd that is here makes up a fraction of the community. You're basing your claims that there's no positivity about gameplay on a group that is highly toxic and will find any reason to complain because they hate EA. If you guys really think you can make a better game, find a way to do it.

I don't hate EA per say...they're around to make money but spouting lies and hiding the same game breaking bugs year after year and pretending they fixed them leaves a sour taste in anyones mouth. I've been on here for prob 10 years and don't post much any more. Why? Because the silence is deafening. And yes there are bugs still in the game from TEN YEARS AGO. Inexcusable. If they focused so much on gameplay, then why is it so bad and play NOTHING like real hockey?

They ask for feedback, then quietly ignore it until next year's game comes out, then they act as if they care again for 2 months, rinse,repeat. That's why people have turned on EA

How are they spouting lies? It's also kind of the point of any for profit company to make money. This game making money is only good for it.

What game breaking bugs are in the game from 10 years ago? If they were truly game breaking, you wouldn't be able to play.

I just don't see how this game plays nothing like hockey. It's pretty apparent that hockey is being played. Yeah, it's never going to be a 1:1 recreation of the real sport, but it seems you're being a little extreme with your comments about the game not resembling hockey.

They haven't ignored feedback. Look at skating alone. There have been many changes that were things people here wanted. It's not as if they copy and paste the game every year and ignore feedback. Sure, not everything gets addressed, but there have been pretty significant updates that the community wanted.

All I'm going to say is, read the boards, read Reddit, read operation sports. I'm not the only one who notices these things. And I say the silence is deafening because yes eadev posts but also cherry picks what to answer. There's some legitimate problems people ask for help with and they're ignored. Been this way for years. Look, I'm glad you enjoy the game but I've been playing EA hockey since it started and real hockey since I was 6...30 years, and if this game resembles real hockey at all to you(terrible ai, cheese goals, terrible goalies, some bad animations, lack of animations, lt abuse etc etc) then maybe you got a super secret build that the rest of us don't have.

I'm not trying to troll or pick a fight with you. We can simply agree to disagree.

[Socair - edited for discussing moderation]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2019

World of Chel:
    • Hockey bags
    • Threes
    • Arcade Threes
    • Mascots
    • Ones
    • Removal of lobbies

Franchise Mode:
    • Expansion Team

HUT:
    • Competitive Seasons
    • HUT Champions
    • HUT Challenges
    • Squad Battles
    • Daily challenges
    • Monthly rewards
    • Seasonal Tournaments
    • New Action House
    • New search filters

All I'm going to say is, read the boards, read Reddit, read operation sports. I'm not the only one who notices these things. And I say the silence is deafening because yes eadev posts but also cherry picks what to answer. There's some legitimate problems people ask for help with and they're ignored. Been this way for years. Look, I'm glad you enjoy the game but I've been playing EA hockey since it started and real hockey since I was 6...30 years, and if this game resembles real hockey at all to you(terrible ai, cheese goals, terrible goalies, some bad animations, lack of animations, lt abuse etc etc) then maybe you got a super secret build that the rest of us don't have.

I'm not trying to troll or pick a fight with you. We can simply agree to disagree.

[Socair - edited for discussing moderation]

FIbEj7Q.gif

Like... I don't know what to say anymore. Ever see real physics where the puck just decides to change direction in mid air?? I mean, let's forget "hockey" for a second and discuss the actual physics of that situation. There's no defending this game.

It's in a horrible, BAD, terrible place gameplay wise! It needs a huge patch to fix things that have been left broken for years. If EA still feels that the game is in a "good place" in HUT, fine! Beautiful. Leave HUT alone.

Fix the rest of your game, pls! I'd like to play some hockey and THIS is not hockey.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    FIbEj7Q.gif

Like... I don't know what to say anymore. Ever see real physics where the puck just decides to change direction in mid air?? I mean, let's forget "hockey" for a second and discuss the actual physics of that situation. There's no defending this game.

It's in a horrible, BAD, terrible place gameplay wise! It needs a huge patch to fix things that have been left broken for years. If EA still feels that the game is in a "good place" in HUT, fine! Beautiful. Leave HUT alone.

Fix the rest of your game, pls! I'd like to play some hockey and THIS is not hockey.

This is actually an interesting one that I talk to our animators about all the time. Their preference is to animate the puck on the stick for attempted high shots a frame into delivery so that the contact on the blade looks better. My preference is to have the release point on the ice the same regardless and only see the delta in the follow through.

What you are seeing here is the attempted shot, which is a backhand up high but due to the shot model, the player isn't able to get that height and accuracy on the shot and the resulting puck direction when it leaves the stick is actually the simulated shot model.

In a way, it is accurate as it is a flubbed shot relative to what was intended but it would be better if that release was from a frame earlier in the animation and something I am still working on correcting as a high level direction piece for all shots. It is much better this year than it has been in years past as the new shot system does a better job due to having more base coverage, actually having high and low specific shots, a lot more angle coverage and ability to blend the angle of release beyond that as well -- but we made the choice to have the shot animation do what you tried to do, not to match the result of the shot which is more realistic -- however, if the puck is animated a frame into release, it breaks the realism of where the shot would flub off the stick in reality.

Anyways just wanted to chime in to give some background on what is happening since it is a bit different than what you were thinking and to let you know that either way I agree.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    FIbEj7Q.gif

This is actually an interesting one that I talk to our animators about all the time. Their preference is to animate the puck on the stick for attempted high shots a frame into delivery so that the contact on the blade looks better. My preference is to have the release point on the ice the same regardless and only see the delta in the follow through.

What you are seeing here is the attempted shot, which is a backhand up high but due to the shot model, the player isn't able to get that height and accuracy on the shot and the resulting puck direction when it leaves the stick is actually the simulated shot model.

In a way, it is accurate as it is a flubbed shot relative to what was intended but it would be better if that release was from a frame earlier in the animation and something I am still working on correcting as a high level direction piece for all shots. It is much better this year than it has been in years past as the new shot system does a better job due to having more base coverage, actually having high and low specific shots, a lot more angle coverage and ability to blend the angle of release beyond that as well -- but we made the choice to have the shot animation do what you tried to do, not to match the result of the shot which is more realistic -- however, if the puck is animated a frame into release, it breaks the realism of where the shot would flub off the stick in reality.

Anyways just wanted to chime in to give some background on what is happening since it is a bit different than what you were thinking and to let you know that either way I agree.

Well, if we're going to go the "realistic" approach, then the way the stick contacts the moving puck, it should've glanced off the blade and gone into a redirected action, rather than an outright "shot". It also goes in fairly straight without any "wobble" to it's flight path even though there's no way it should be that clean of a shot off a backhanded shovel like that.

The thing that gets me is that the player is aiming at 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock (as per the tell tale input dials in the replay screen), but the puck goes at 12 o'clock. The goalie engine then takes a split second to decide where the shot is going and reacts too late to make a proper save attempt. Although that's not the first time I see the goalie freeze up on a save attempt when it can't really decide what to do:

6PVunmT.gif

Even though I'm clearly holding my joystick to the RIGHT (see how the goalie leans a little in that direction?), I could've made a save attempt on that final shot, but instead I get frozen in place.
  • Yes please..... time for a new direction
    FIbEj7Q.gif

Interesting to read for sure. I definitely feel as if the problems where the animations are poor or don't look realistic is on backhand shots, or shots where the puck is in front of the feet. They should lose a major spark in momentum in this instances as they would in real life. One thing I especially love in the animations in this years' game is where the puck is out of the wheelhouse of a receiving player and he tries to release in. In 19, the shot would just go off of a corrected animation to automatically reach the puck and it then would rocket off of the stick simultaneously. In this year, there's an animation where the player has to stop the puck, cradle it and then release it. Looks a million times more realistic, as opposed to this display posted above.

Overall though the shooting mechanics look a lot better this year. Still needs lots of work, but overall definitely improved.
    FIbEj7Q.gif

Interesting to read for sure. I definitely feel as if the problems where the animations are poor or don't look realistic is on backhand shots, or shots where the puck is in front of the feet. They should lose a major spark in momentum in this instances as they would in real life. One thing I especially love in the animations in this years' game is where the puck is out of the wheelhouse of a receiving player and he tries to release in. In 19, the shot would just go off of a corrected animation to automatically reach the puck and it then would rocket off of the stick simultaneously. In this year, there's an animation where the player has to stop the puck, cradle it and then release it. Looks a million times more realistic, as opposed to this display posted above.

Overall though the shooting mechanics look a lot better this year. Still needs lots of work, but overall definitely improved.

Agreed.
  • GrundleDemon333
    96 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Sorry to say, but it’s time. We need some fresh blood, man. This game feels about dead. Id like to see someone who:

-doesn’t ignore the community and the sport of hockey to favor the preferences of the few twitch streaming puck raggers

-can see how current puck possession is absurdly overpowered for a game purporting to resemble professional hockey

-understands that hockey is a physical sport and hits, shoves, and in-close body contact are not in fact shoulder massages

-learns the lessons of past directional missteps, like those made just LAST YEAR by nerfing hitting and discouraging passing

-cares about not enabling LT abuse (which clearly should have been handled last year and seems like it could be easy to tune out, but instead spiraled further out of control due to ambivalence)

-doesn’t think defensive stick use is illegal in 9/10 instances of contact with anything

-cares about the rules of physics—even when they might disfavor more offense

-is ready to actually move on from the same old breakaway glitch goals

-is ready to be done making excuses for no stick collisions (it’s almost 2020, there are self driving cars)

What other qualities do you guys want?
    How are we stuck in this dreadful cycle of fighting the same battles? Who’s ready to apply?

Completely agree, but would add the following:

Stop with the shot rebounds going right on the stick of an opposing player. Also tired of seeing so many successful pokechecks yet again going to the stick of an opposing player.

Feels cheap and fake and has been around for way too many years.

Yeah those are good adds as well. I had those in mind with my physics reference. Just another way of saying someone that actually watches hockey and understands that current devs’ fanciful offense/puck possession nonsense needs to go.
    Post edited by GrundleDemon333 on