EA Forums - Banner

Checking/Hitting

Is there any impact for checking or hitting another player? Can a Dev chime in on this? If not then why have it in the game.

Replies

• LOL. Nope. Sorry man, we all feel your pain.
  • Is there any impact for checking or hitting another player? Can a Dev chime in on this? If not then why have it in the game.

Checking in this game has a ton of factors, size/weight, speed skating towards person, their speed and direction, attributes.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Checking in this game is a joke: you can hit an opponent in EASHL and have him flying from one blueline to the other. The hit player becomes essentially weightless. The CPU especially can perform superhuman hits, just by nudging your human player it can shift you bodily over the blueline for an offside, even if you're playing with Hedman.

Hits seem to have no effect or impact on the opponents (other than possibly causing an injury), certainly not on the CPU.

What I want is the ability to prepare to receive a hit, maybe by pressing a button or pushing your right stick. You don't become weightless sack of feathers just because youre being hit. Sometimes the person doing the hitting suffers in real life... another thing that makes me mad is that if the opponent is coming to hit you, somehow the animations prevent you from passing or shooting the puck before the hit happens. You keep hitting the pass with no result, and then you're moved down. This doesn't occur all the time, but fairly often, especially in EASHL modes I think?
  • If you protect the puck and turn away from the hit it causes much less damage than a full on, skate into it hit. I don't play EASHL so can't comment on that game mode but you don't see anything like it in HUT, VS, or offline modes and the protect / turn away works in those.
  • GrundleDemon333
    107 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Devs have made clear they don’t believe in recognizing the real world effects of body contact if it inhibits the ability to rag the puck, other otherwise results in a more realistic game of hockey. Passing is so uncool.

We told them we vehemently disagreed last year. They told us they heard us when they reverted the tuner. Then they decided they didn’t care what we all said. We don’t advertise on twitch...
  • Jetset95 wrote: »
    If you protect the puck and turn away from the hit it causes much less damage than a full on, skate into it hit. I don't play EASHL so can't comment on that game mode but you don't see anything like it in HUT, VS, or offline modes and the protect / turn away works in those.

Everybody know turning away from the opponent is the magic trick, and here you get to the other extreme of hitting: hits have no effect at all if you do it right. You just slide away... so yes, hitting is a mess.

And it happens in all game modes, you can see in HUT for example, how the CPU is able to throw some really punishing hits from a complete stand-still. Or 'nudge' you with the puck away from the offensive zone. Playing Squad Battles I have good laugh everytime it happens, it's really funny. :o

• This game needs a physics engine.
    FURY-69-.png
  • This series is a mess right now :D
  • When Dustin Byfuglien rides little Johnny Hockey into the boards and just bounces off him while Lil Johnny never loses balance and the puck stays glued to his stick.....well....yes we have a problem.

Sadly it’s by design because this years game is so obviously catered to the whiny group of cheesers who want to build a team of speedsters and rag the puck all day until the awful AI scatters and they can put in the money goals on the still awful goalies.