EA Forums - Banner

How do the Devs think most people play

jake19ny
688 posts Member
edited November 2019
I would love to know how the Devs think most people try and play the game online.

Do they believe the majority of people try and build a team or player and focus on hockey fundamentals? Focus on hockey strategy of dumping and chasing, grinding it out on the boards, and trying to create breakout plays? Do they think most people try and set up legitimate power plays and penalty kills?

Or......

Do they think the majority of people spend their time trying to master the cheese, the money goals, and LT abuse? Do they think the majority of players try and master puck ragging and spin dekes....

If they are honest they know the answer is the cheese paragraph and that’s all you need to know to prove this game needs an overhaul from the ground up. Nobody goes on to play hockey....not even me.....not if you want to win.
This year I’m forced to rag the puck until the awful AI abandons my man for the easy one timer, skate around in circles unfazed by contact until I can walk out front and score a money goal, or take that cheesy slot shot that goes in 75% of the time. On defense I’m forced to play center and skill zone in order to defend the sane garbage I do on offense.

This is not hockey.

Replies

• The game is repetitive and it lacks creativity ...a few of the popular nhl streamers have lately also have been pointing out a lot a flaws in the game some who do hopefully have some voice and can maybe hopefully convince ea that the game isn't fun in it's current state ,for the reasons you have also stated
  • One of the more basic fundamentals of hockey is to force your opponent onto his backhand, since passing and shooting is less powerful and reliable. In this game you can make a 60 mph backhand pass with the same reliability as a forehand pass.
  • I also find that if the puck is dropped on the official's first "twitch" (there are up to 4 "twitches"), my faceoff winning % drops to around 5%.
  • I also find that if the puck is dropped on the official's first "twitch" (there are up to 4 "twitches"), my faceoff winning % drops to around 5%.

Do you find the twitches vary in timing as well?
    This is one thing that's annoyed me. Especially with online latency. Not only do we have to guess how many twitches, but, and maybe it just me, guess the timing of the final twitch. Keep it on offline modes, but online, make it 3 twitches, with the exact same time. It's bad enough trying to compensate for delay.

Do you find the twitches vary in timing as well?
    This is one thing that's annoyed me. Especially with online latency. Not only do we have to guess how many twitches, but, and maybe it just me, guess the timing of the final twitch. Keep it on offline modes, but online, make it 3 twitches, with the exact same time. It's bad enough trying to compensate for delay.

I do feel like there is a variance in the timing but can't say for sure. By the way, I meant that in games versus the CPU. It's pretty close to impossible to win the draw on the first twitch, on any difficulty level.
  • Well everybody is spot on here but I really want to focus on the main point of thread and see how the developers really view the people who play on line....how they think the majority plays, if they are ok with it, or are they looking to steer towards a more realistic style of hockey for online play.....based on NHL 20s online current state it’s more arcade and like I said the cheese paragraph
  • I can only speak for myself but I go on there playing an actual hockey style. I set up defensively in a way to force my opponent to have to either A) have skill to actually enter my zone or b) have to win the numbers battle.

Offensively, I dump when i'm struggling to get in the zone or sometimes to change it up. I've found dumping to the cross corner has worked well as my forwards have been able to get in there quick enough to at the very least force a tieup which allows my F2 and F3 to join the play. It's working some of the time to the point where I can't rely 100% on it but I can keep my opponent honest.

I struggled with the same things you mentioned in the original post but i'm telling you. Once i switched to a neutral zone trap, it changed the entire game. My defense creates offensive turnovers. No longer are guys able to enter the zone backwards on me because i'm able to swarm teams.

Occasionally i'll switch strategies also mid game whether what i'm doing is working or not just to show a different look. Get in my opponents head so to speak to make myself unpredictable.
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    Well everybody is spot on here but I really want to focus on the main point of thread and see how the developers really view the people who play on line....how they think the majority plays, if they are ok with it, or are they looking to steer towards a more realistic style of hockey for online play.....based on NHL 20s online current state it’s more arcade and like I said the cheese paragraph

I don’t know if you have seen it, but the Devs pretty much explained how they see it in the IceTilt/DDA thread. If you look at the last posts, in their last reply, they pretty much said that it is going to stay as it is since the top online players (leaderboard) love that Arcade style of game. And that non-youtuber or less skilled offline players are the one who love the more realistic game style. You can go check the thread and read it yourself, you’ll see why it is that way and why it will probably never change online at least.
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    Well everybody is spot on here but I really want to focus on the main point of thread and see how the developers really view the people who play on line....how they think the majority plays, if they are ok with it, or are they looking to steer towards a more realistic style of hockey for online play.....based on NHL 20s online current state it’s more arcade and like I said the cheese paragraph

I don’t know if you have seen it, but the Devs pretty much explained how they see it in the IceTilt/DDA thread. If you look at the last posts, in their last reply, they pretty much said that it is going to stay as it is since the top online players (leaderboard) love that Arcade style of game. And that non-youtuber or less skilled offline players are the one who love the more realistic game style. You can go check the thread and read it yourself, you’ll see why it is that way and why it will probably never change online at least.

Did they actually say “less skilled offline players” are the ones that want realistic hockey?
  • boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    A little bit, at least that’s how I understand it.
    We have some hardcore twitch players that aren't hardcore hockey fans that would love a Threes type game on All Star+ difficulty and we have Hardcore hockey fans that aren't very good twitch players that would love to play Full Sim game style but on a Semi Pro or lower difficulty. But again, the choices are up to the players in our offline modes as we don't want to assume what type of player you are. For online, for games to stay in sync and for the leaderboards and competition to be standardized, the game styles and difficulties are locked and we rely on the matchmaking as stated above to try and keep competition close, moving you up or down relative to your CR as you play more games and give us a clearer picture of your skill level against your peers.

Just to make it clear, I disagree with that. That’s what they said.
  • They have also stated the opponent AI adjusts according to the game situation but we don't have a counter nor the ability to adjust ours... Sorry I don't know if this is on topic or not.. haha
  • The game is repetitive and it lacks creativity ...a few of the popular nhl streamers have lately also have been pointing out a lot a flaws in the game some who do hopefully have some voice and can maybe hopefully convince ea that the game isn't fun in it's current state ,for the reasons you have also stated

Just wanted to add to this statement - "...a few of the popular NHL streamers have lately also have been pointing out a lot a flaws in the game... that the streamers haven't been criticising the gameplay - quite the opposite. They have been commenting on the repetitive nature of the online competitions and the fact that the prizes from their hard work winning 20 games of HUT Champs every weekend will be worth nothing when the player ratings improve in a few months because you can't trade them.
  • Personally whether it's online or offline i just take what's given to me. Odd man rush if the pass is there I take it or try for the snipe or rebound.. if the ai or opponent is cloggin the middle I cycle and if their puck chasing I move the puck around and even then from the 1 timers and tips I'll change my aiming from short side far or 5 hole depending on how beastly the other goalies playing..

Defensively offline it's not fool proof against the ai but I just try and take time and space away.. online I just try and play off the other opponent.. some people are dorks that just look for wraps or snipes and what not so if I can clog the middle I'm alright, if their goin for nothin but 1 tee's I try and adjust accordingly but we all know in between all that there's the people that dont go for cheese or cycle and throw everything on net which honestly cant really be defended in my mind with all the crazy bounces and such

A little off topic but it blows my mind when I shots blocked with a stick right in front of it that literally should of broken it but should also have forward momentum... noone catches a slap shot like a pass
  • Jetset95 wrote: »
    The game is repetitive and it lacks creativity ...a few of the popular nhl streamers have lately also have been pointing out a lot a flaws in the game some who do hopefully have some voice and can maybe hopefully convince ea that the game isn't fun in it's current state ,for the reasons you have also stated

Just wanted to add to this statement - "...a few of the popular NHL streamers have lately also have been pointing out a lot a flaws in the game... that the streamers haven't been criticising the gameplay - quite the opposite. They have been commenting on the repetitive nature of the online competitions and the fact that the prizes from their hard work winning 20 games of HUT Champs every weekend will be worth nothing when the player ratings improve in a few months because you can't trade them.

Lol Mr Jetset that's also true I can't argue that ,they also have complained about that ,but one in particular was pointing out the really bad flaws that this game has and a lot them were the ones that have been discussed on here.so maybe EA will listen and make some changes for the better