EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

Ea NHL Has Really Been Ripping Us Off

Prev1
So I just recently started playing MLB the show 19 as it was free for PSN and let me tell you, playing “Road To The Show” which is MLBs version of Be A Pro is almost everything I want Be A Pro to be in the NHL games. Conversations, training activities, rivalries, contracts, hot and cold streaks, seeing plays happen while you’re simming to your next appearance. Stats about your season and career stats in the loading screen. GAME BY GAME STATS.

My question is, how come a game like that isn’t at $80 when it has so many more features and better playability than the game that’s been copy and pasted for what seems like forever now. It’s ridiculous that people even still purchase it. I wish no one would so that EA would pretty much have to do something to bring it back on track, or another company could start making them again seeing EAs player base losing interest in the series.

Replies

• Would be cool if Sony gets the rights for NHL.
  • EA just needs competition, it could be 2K, Bethesda, etc.. the game doesn't even have to be great, just needs to be there.

If there's no competitor, EA is not going to listen to us and is just going to keep doing whatever the hell they want.. more outdoor garbage, fortnite modes, etc.
  • Froommey wrote: »
    Would be cool if Sony gets the rights for NHL.
    If they pay for the license, they can.

EA doesn't have exclusive rights to make nhl games. They're just the only ones willing to pay for the license to use the name.
  • EA just needs competition, it could be 2K, Bethesda, etc.. the game doesn't even have to be great, just needs to be there.

If there's no competitor, EA is not going to listen to us and is just going to keep doing whatever the hell they want.. more outdoor garbage, fortnite modes, etc.

I agree with this I’ve been saying it for a while now. When 2k and a few other smaller companies were making the games EA listened, EA improved, now we’re pretty much at their mercy and they really aren’t going gentle on us either.

• Froommey
    771 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Froommey wrote: »
    Would be cool if Sony gets the rights for NHL.
    If they pay for the license, they can.

EA doesn't have exclusive rights to make nhl games. They're just the only ones willing to pay for the license to use the name.

I know that. EA and 2K has the license. Sooner or later another Company will develop a Hockey game.

I don't know if competition is the answer, I think EA just needs to be a little less EA.
  • You dont need NHL licenses to make a hockey game, only to use offical NHL logos, teams, and names and such. Any company can make a hockey game and have custom teams and custom logos, essentially all EASHL and make everything original and custom. With that being said it won't happen because compaired to the other sports hockey just isn't popular and dont draw a big enough crowd. Millions of people pay fifa, hundreds of thousands play madden, on nhls best day they have about 10,000 people online.
  • Other Companies producing also good and not so popular Sport games, selling lesser copies and making lesser profit. This is no excuse about this more ore lesser copy and paste what we got during all the years. If a Company starts to optimize the profit ( lesser work for more profit ) it will fail. Compare NBA 2K with NBA Live. No wonder that EA stopped the production.
  • Road to the Show is the golden standard for Be a Pros. Absolutely fantastic with amazing depth without the flash of over the top cutscenes and storytelling.
  • rogers2487 wrote: »
    You dont need NHL licenses to make a hockey game, only to use offical NHL logos, teams, and names and such. Any company can make a hockey game and have custom teams and custom logos, essentially all EASHL and make everything original and custom. With that being said it won't happen because compaired to the other sports hockey just isn't popular and dont draw a big enough crowd. Millions of people pay fifa, hundreds of thousands play madden, on nhls best day they have about 10,000 people online.

I honestly can’t help but think that’s because of EA partly. Obviously yea hockey isn’t as big world wide but it’s still pretty big in North America, especially Canada. They really shouldn’t have much of a problem selling as long as their game resembles the way hockey plays. Which it only really does if you play against ai and even then it feels like figure skating on ice most of the time.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Meh, what can you do?

When I see EA putting more resources into chewable mouthguards, 1800 borderline useless "gear", horrible rinks and parkas for my "CHEL" experience than the actual gameplay and the depiction of the sport, then I can't help but understand why the game is in the state it's in. And to me, all this added junk and clutter is nothing more than a reason to "justify" the yearly $80 price tag. No matter what gets added, it has issues because it is built upon issues in the first place.

I very highly doubt the series is going to pick up popularity over the next gen. In fact, I think next gen is most likely where it's going to die. Seems like every year, there are more and more complaints and some of those complaints are years in the making, yet still there.

Maybe for next gen we can have outdoor rinks with different levels, like three stories and you get teleported to a level when you reach the end of it. Imagine a rink that is 45 feet high and multi-tiered.... Can't wait.
    Post edited by WainGretSki on
  • Do not mix Art department with Gameplay department. They are working on different things.
    Do not mix Art department with Gameplay department. They are working on different things.

I couldn't care less who works on what. Regardless who does what, it needs to be implemented and programmed into the game.

But let's turn that argument around for a second. If the art team did all that, then what did the programming department do?

- Added Goalie Threat Analysis. Seems broken and absent right now.

- Whatever new thing that got implemented in Franchise. Coaching and coaching styles and whatnot?

- A fix to the LT abuse that quite frankly, I don't really see.

- New shot animations and picking up pucks in stride. (since these are animations, does it fall under the "art department" ?)

Please feel free to add anything you want here because frankly, I am at a loss for ideas and remembering what got added this year if you remove all the "art department" additions.

So far, for the programming, I do not see $80 worth in there.
  • Yeah. Can’t wait for the owners of EA to finally go to hell. It is definitely waiting for them.
  • TheMajjam
    495 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    The Show is what you get when a developer puts TLC into their game, without having a money grubbing publisher breathing down their neck. It's also what you get when you know your core audience, care about the smallest details, and understand what presentation is. It makes you really feel like you're living the life of the big leagues.

Those are the sports games that set the standard. Meanwhile, there's NHL, FIFA, and NBA, where I can barely discern if it's a game from last year or something new.

But hey, gotta' love that high poly helicopter doing absolutely nothing outdoors, eh?
    Do not mix Art department with Gameplay department. They are working on different things.

And another thing I would add to that. Sure, the Art department works on whatever and maybe it doesn't affect the programming. However, the Art department costs money. Money that cannot be used for the programming department.

Either way, like it or not, it all affects programming and the end product. So yea, 1800 CHEL items is affecting the game play whether you like it or not.

And another thing I would add to that. Sure, the Art department works on whatever and maybe it doesn't affect the programming. However, the Art department costs money. Money that cannot be used for the programming department.

Either way, like it or not, it all affects programming and the end product. So yea, 1800 CHEL items is affecting the game play whether you like it or not.

Live or leave. I am not satisfied too.
    I know what to do next year.
  • VeNOM2099
    2874 posts Member
    edited November 2019

That's a very poor argument though, if you consider that if the art department screws up on the ice rink dimensions (for example), or how the skating animations blend with one another, the "programming" in the gameplay part gets affected as well.

Whether they all work on stuff separately or not is irrelevant since the game as a whole doesn't work. The online portions are an issue. The "art" is an issue with wonky/janky animations and visuals that don't speak to the hockey fan, but to the Fortnite fan instead. The programming of the game (at its base) is completely contrary to anything that even slightly resembles ice hockey let alone NHL hockey.

How did this series go from "shows promise" in NHL 14 to "complete train wreck" in NHL 20? By listening to the fans? Which "fans" of hockey would want this? I wouldn't... Many others feel the same. But apparently we're in the minority. Oh well...

I already did it this year. I spent almost 130$ CAD on NBA 2K20 Legends Edition. I did this knowing FULL WELL that 2K Sports are becoming as money grubbing as EA, trying to nickle and dime its loyal customers at every turn they can. But the game itself, is what matters to me and THAT alone is worth every penny. I could care less about online. All I want to do is play my basketball franchise or career and feel like I'm on the court. For that NBA 2K20 gets a 10/10 and so they get my money this year, and maybe again next year and the following years.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

That's a very poor argument though, if you consider that if the art department screws up on the ice rink dimensions (for example), or how the skating animations blend with one another, the "programming" in the gameplay part gets affected as well.

Whether they all work on stuff separately or not is irrelevant since the game as a whole doesn't work. The online portions are an issue. The "art" is an issue with wonky/janky animations and visuals that don't speak to the hockey fan, but to the Fortnite fan instead. The programming of the game (at its base) is completely contrary to anything that even slightly resembles ice hockey let alone NHL hockey.

How did this series go from "shows promise" in NHL 14 to "complete train wreck" in NHL 20? By listening to the fans? Which "fans" of hockey would want this? I wouldn't... Many others feel the same. But apparently we're in the minority. Oh well...

I already did it this year. I spent almost 130$ CAD on NBA 2K20 Legends Edition. I did this knowing FULL WELL that 2K Sports are becoming as money grubbing as EA, trying to nickle and dime its loyal customers at every turn they can. But the game itself, is what matters to me and THAT alone is worth every penny. I could care less about online. All I want to do is play my basketball franchise or career and feel like I'm on the court. For that NBA 2K20 gets a 10/10 and so they get my money this year, and maybe again next year and the following years.

Why are you asking me that? If the programmer does not hear you here, it's not my fault. Since I myself played ice hockey for a long time I know how to play this game. Incidentally, the photo in the profile shows me
  • By the way .... Offline with the right slider settings, the gameplay is not so bad for a computer game.