EA Forums - Banner

Things that we need in sliders :)

As we all know if we play a lot of sports games, that one thing that ea nhl has nailed pretty decently is they allow us to use sliders. Sliders are one of the greatest things this series has ever done and EA has given us a lot of tools to help refine our game into a more Sim-like experience.

However with that said, I think there are a few more tuners I'd love to see added to the list and feel free to also comment below what you would like added:

-goalie movement speed
-goalie aggression
-goalie deking impact or goalie deking reaction time

We already have some amazing goalie sliders but these I think would fine tune them even more.

-ice friction
-board friction

Simply for better physics adjustment. This is really nit-picky.

-ai shooting tendency (to get them to increase their shooting numbers up and to prevent them from overpassing in good shooting situations)
-ai deking tendency (creates more individualism within the ai. One thing I have noticed is high deking attribute players tend to make you pay more for being overaggressive, would be cool to increase this even more)
-ai player passing tendency (to limit overpassing)
-ai shooting locations (this is probably a pipe dream and can't be tuned but one thing I found last year with 19 is that on certain difficulties the ai would only take shots from poor angles, it'd be cool to be able to adjust this so that they shoot from good spots on the ice more.)

If we could have a settings list of something as follows it'd be awesome:

Slot shooting tendency: low-high (obviously this should always be on high)
Point shooting tendency: medium
Goal line shooting tendency: low
Half wall shooting tendency: low

Something like that I think would be amazing to implement. Not sure as not a developer if this would be a lot of work though.

Would be also cool to be able to adjust ragdoll physics too. How much the player gets ragdolled or how hard the check has to be to ragdoll a player.

-Deflection attempts (how often your players or opposing players will attempt to go for tips)
-Deflection speed (how fast the puck gets redirected off the stick, 100 would be as fast as the shot, 0 would basically block the shot haha)
-Passing power assist (one thing I've noticed in this game and just this year alone is that sometimes it predicts the power of the pass for you a bit too much. Some taps absolutely rocket the puck down the ice and some holds don't apply hardly any power at all. This may be connection related)
-Advanced deking impact (instead of just deking impact)
-Analogue deking impact? (just manual left or right on the right stick. In real hockey over deking will cause you to lose the puck as well just going left or right. It'd be nice if we could adjust these both individually instead of just with the one slider.)
-Puck control against physical contact? (sometimes we can get hits looking nice with tuners, however in order to get realistic physics with the hitting, it comes at the cost of the strength of the hits not jarring the puck loose in situations where it should separate skater from puck. Would be nice to have a slider that will adjust how often the skater loses control of the puck from physical contact. This may also help with little taps from behind jarring the puck loose and also what should be big hits not causing a loose puck but a stumble with the player still in control with the puck)
-stick lift accuracy
-stick on stick poke check power
(one thing this game doesn't have is proper stick checking. Often times in the nhl, sticks are checked rather than the puck getting pokechecked and can be just as effective at breaking up the play. Currently when we poke the puck and only hit stick, all that happens is the puck stays still and the skater just picks the puck up again and skates on as normal. Would be nice if this could also knock the puck away if on a backhand or carry the pucks momentum a bit more without the stick on a forehand or something like that)

Off the top of my head that's all I can think of. Please comment below what else you think would be smart to add to the list.

Replies

• At the end of the day, we should all agree however that EA did a hell of a job with the tuners already though. This I think would help to just perfect an already great set up by them.
  • Tier1SOFOperator
    496 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    I agree.
    I would like to see a stopping distance slider . What I mean by this is how fast the player comes to a full stop. I find they currently take too long to stop. I want to see a huge spray of ice and an almost instantaneous stop like in the real NHL.
    Post edited by Tier1SOFOperator on
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    The whole speed of the Players in basic settings is much to high. So it doesn’t look like a Hockey game. So if you want it closer to Hockey you need to set down the Speed slider of the game and of course to change some other sliders.
  • Pretty good ideas Hoppers. Good job, I like it.
  • Thought of another one. Board play distance. How close you have to be to tie somebody up to the boards.
  • As we all know if we play a lot of sports games, that one thing that ea nhl has nailed pretty decently is they allow us to use sliders. Sliders are one of the greatest things this series has ever done and EA has given us a lot of tools to help refine our game into a more Sim-like experience.

Playing devil's advocate here, I think this can be a double edged sword. Too many sliders take away from the player ratings. If you want sim style, it has to be individual player based. If you increase a "goalie movement slider" then a goalie with a low rating also gets increased in that area, nullifying his "true" rating.

Maybe this is coming from past hockey games I've played, but I expect a player with a skating speed rating of 90 to skate like a 90 and a 70 to skate like a 70. Increase the skating speed and now the 70 skates faster. It might even out visually, but stats will increase and become untrue. A past hockey game I played (Superstar Ice Hockey) was purely player rated. The higher the ratings a player had, the better he was. It was perfect. You can have your Gretzky's and Lemieux's play like they should.

As it is now I think we have way too many sliders that affect the player ratings. Anything player related should only be in the ratings, not sliders. Take a player with shot accuracy of 90. Lower the shot accuracy slider to 40 or lower, and technically, his ratings go down. That happens and everyone complains about the stats not being accurate. We have to remember sliders are universal, player ratings are individual.

• Steven5470 wrote: »
    As we all know if we play a lot of sports games, that one thing that ea nhl has nailed pretty decently is they allow us to use sliders. Sliders are one of the greatest things this series has ever done and EA has given us a lot of tools to help refine our game into a more Sim-like experience.

Playing devil's advocate here, I think this can be a double edged sword. Too many sliders take away from the player ratings. If you want sim style, it has to be individual player based. If you increase a "goalie movement slider" then a goalie with a low rating also gets increased in that area, nullifying his "true" rating.

Maybe this is coming from past hockey games I've played, but I expect a player with a skating speed rating of 90 to skate like a 90 and a 70 to skate like a 70. Increase the skating speed and now the 70 skates faster. It might even out visually, but stats will increase and become untrue. A past hockey game I played (Superstar Ice Hockey) was purely player rated. The higher the ratings a player had, the better he was. It was perfect. You can have your Gretzky's and Lemieux's play like they should.

As it is now I think we have way too many sliders that affect the player ratings. Anything player related should only be in the ratings, not sliders. Take a player with shot accuracy of 90. Lower the shot accuracy slider to 40 or lower, and technically, his ratings go down. That happens and everyone complains about the stats not being accurate. We have to remember sliders are universal, player ratings are individual.

Absolutely, but there's already a slider that affects player ratings and their impact on the gameplay already. Most slider people have that cranked up to an 8-10. You'll still see huge differences between players whether it comes to speed, stick handling, hitting, etc.

That's the purpose of fine tuning it. To get it to the point of where it needs to be completely accurate. The reason I suggested that one that you pointed out, is that currently I play with goalie save reactions lowered, and I do this to create realistic looking rebounds, realistic saves (shots can go through goalies, can go 5 hole, can go off of the tips of limbs more, not every goal has to be a snipe like real life, etc.) but at the downfall of sometimes goalie speed is too low and their movement is hindered on the rare play. A boost in that category would massively fine tune that area and would make goalies nearly complete.
  • I want a "blown tire" slider for offline and I also want this put back in online so the twirling figure skaters will tire, lose an edge and fall over causing them to lose the puck. They had this in previous years but it was taken out.