EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Gameplay Discussion

Replies

• *sigh*... I just played a game of NBA 2K20 last night where MyPlayer got nominated player of the Month for the 1st time in my career, but also rookie of the month for the 2nd time. During the game, not only did the commentators react to this, but towards the end of the game, as I was getting set to take 2 free throws towards the end of the game the ENTIRE CROWD in my team's arena (san antonio) was chanting MVP! MVP! MVP!

I actually got goose bumps when it happened!!

These are the kind of things this series needs. Not ballerina skating with the puck. Not 50 goals per period. Not face masks and hockey rinks on the Rideau Canal.

Atmosphere!
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    *sigh*... I just played a game of NBA 2K20 last night where MyPlayer got nominated player of the Month for the 1st time in my career, but also rookie of the month for the 2nd time. During the game, not only did the commentators react to this, but towards the end of the game, as I was getting set to take 2 free throws towards the end of the game the ENTIRE CROWD in my team's arena (san antonio) was chanting MVP! MVP! MVP!

These are the kind of things this series needs. Not ballerina skating with the puck. Not 50 goals per period. Not face masks and hockey rinks on the Rideau Canal.

Atmosphere!

And those little details have you coming back for more. It gets you excited to try to break records, to grind away your character, the further your development in a mode, etc.

Little details that mimmick the sport add exponential value. Fifa 12 had me coming back for more because of how mesmerizing the game was to the actual sport at the time.
    *sigh*... I just played a game of NBA 2K20 last night where MyPlayer got nominated player of the Month for the 1st time in my career, but also rookie of the month for the 2nd time. During the game, not only did the commentators react to this, but towards the end of the game, as I was getting set to take 2 free throws towards the end of the game the ENTIRE CROWD in my team's arena (san antonio) was chanting MVP! MVP! MVP!

Atmosphere!

And those little details have you coming back for more. It gets you excited to try to break records, to grind away your character, the further your development in a mode, etc.

Little details that mimmick the sport add exponential value. Fifa 12 had me coming back for more because of how mesmerizing the game was to the actual sport at the time.

Not just that, but those kinds of implementations work for HUT, EASHL, Be a Lame Pro, Franchise, etc... Point is, it's work put in that works for every single game mode. Seems like resources well spent if you ask me.

Atmosphere!

Not just that, but those kinds of implementations work for HUT, EASHL, Be a Lame Pro, Franchise, etc... Point is, it's work put in that works for every single game mode. Seems like resources well spent if you ask me.

100%. And it'll help in sales because people think it makes your game stand out as a great sports title. Lots of people pay for good presentation.

Atmosphere!

100%. And it'll help in sales because people think it makes your game stand out as a great sports title. Lots of people pay for good presentation.

Exactly. People want to play your game about a sport, because it looks, sounds and feels like your playing the sport. Not a Fortnite parody of it!

Atmosphere!

Preach
  • I haven't played a single player mode on NHL in ages. It blows.
  • Treatmentworke66
    977 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Hey EA if your not going to fix this game at least give us the ability to block these dancing glitching little Mary's ,I don't care about the elite complaining that no one wants to play them
    Post edited by Treatmentworke66 on
  • One thing I forgot as well, unrealistic line change glitch seems like it’s in the game every but you don’t clean it up if you play as a d-man how many times does a player change while the other team happen to pick a random lose puck, seriously its like no one tests the game before release.
  • I think most of the game is quite good however terrible matchmaking is beyond ruining 90% of games. If they fixed matchmaking and got rid of all fairness adjustments to the AI the game would be pretty decent right there. I actually like most of the randomness in the game its necessary however when you incorporate artificial AI adjustments in aims of making the game fair you completely destroy the integrity of the product. Making these two changes would fix this game as those two features are the true sources of this game being broken. Im tired of trying 10 games only to get 1-2 of those games being half controllable and in the other half other cheats such as uncalled boarding and dive blocks trips among other things. I for one am removing myself from all EA online player pools until they get their act together. Its not just my money its also my time.
  • nhl suck always penality for nothing
    game exclusion
  • hondas1112
    1 posts New member
    edited December 2019
    NHL 20 could have been so good, but they done messed up. Here is my list of horrible nhl 20 gameplay. 2 on 1 goals that happen way to often. There is no defence and if you use the poke check it’s a trip to the penalty box. Passes go right through the opposing team at the worst possible moments. Players bobble passes and shoot like a 12 year old girl at the worst times. Body checking does zero - bouncing off opposing players and not dislodging the puck. This game is a total mess.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • hondas1112 wrote: »
    NHL 20 could have been so good, but they done messed up. Here is my list of horrible nhl 20 gameplay. 2 on 1 goals that happen way to often. There is no defence and if you use the poke check it’s a trip to the penalty box. Passes go right through the opposing team at the worst possible moments. Players bobble passes and shoot like a 12 year old girl at the worst times. Body checking does zero - bouncing off opposing players and not dislodging the puck. This game is a total mess.

And let's not forget how trash the goalies are
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    hondas1112 wrote: »
    NHL 20 could have been so good, but they done messed up. Here is my list of horrible nhl 20 gameplay.

2 on 1 goals that happen way to often.

That's because the AI was programmed to be bad because the "elite" players complained to EA that the AI was OP. Naturally the solution was to make it even worse than it's ever been. I play with my strats set to STAY BACK and CONTAIN PUCK and the AI will still routinely step up at the blue line and give up 2 on 1s and 3 on 1s because OFFENSE = GOOD, DEFENSE = BAD.
    There is no defence and if you use the poke check it’s a trip to the penalty box.

Technically you're not supposed to use poke checking for defense. Not in the context everyone seems to be wanting to use it, in any case. This game series has taught players that this is the way it's supposed to be used, because REAL defense is actually much more simple and, by proxy, a lot more "boring" as real defense is 95% positioning. If you're gonna just mash poke check because you want the puck back then you SHOULD be getting called for that. I'm more ticked off that the EA devs thought nerfing the DSS in this same manner was a good idea...
    Passes go right through the opposing team at the worst possible moments.

Blame the auto-passing assist for this. Auto-aiming, auto-sauce pass, auto-shots, auto-dekes, auto-saves, auto-puck possession. The elite complain about "skillzoning" but this game does 90% of your actions already. It's like we don't even play the game, the game plays itself and you're just along for the ride! LOL
    Players bobble passes and shoot like a 12 year old girl at the worst times.

I don't think players "bobble" passes as much as they actively run away from them at times. If I'd have half a penny for every instance my AI forwards have suddenly veered to the center of the ice when I pass the puck UP near the boards for them I'd probably be the richest person in the world. As for shots, they are too fast and too accurate in most cases. Even backhands are way too powerful than they should be. I'd wish more shots would go wide and be a little less ridiculous looking than they are, but, again, EA thinks OFFENSE is what makes this game fun...
    Body checking does zero - bouncing off opposing players and not dislodging the puck.

And yet getting slightly bumped by behind while moving forward with speed will not only DISLODGE the puck but send it flying back to the opponent and reward him for a stupid move. But like you said;
    This game is a total mess.

Can't argue with that. :/

Post edited by Socair on
  • Man with dropin being such a crapshoot and the DDA in HUT, I have no desire to play this game anymore.
    Blame the auto-passing assist for this. Auto-aiming, auto-sauce pass, auto-shots, auto-dekes, auto-saves, auto-puck possession. The elite complain about "skillzoning" but this game does 90% of your actions already. It's like we don't even play the game, the game plays itself and you're just along for the ride! LOL

This! Very much this!
    When I realized that I could stop playing defence all together, and it would not make any difference in how many goals I conceded, that's when I stopped playing this game.
    I have tried this several times, and could not see any difference, what so ever. My win/loss ratio would still be around 50%. This game does indeed play itself!

Man with dropin being such a crapshoot and the DDA in HUT, I have no desire to play this game anymore.

This pretty much sums it up for a lot of us.
    I know the devs read this forum and just wanted to voice my support for what has been said in this thread. Here are the reasons why you are losing customers!
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    I get the thought process of "if you're an older gamer and you have a full time job, family" you don't necessarily want to come home and play a game that's difficult and is more of a chore than a fun thing to do to pass the time. However where that line of thought goes out the window is when you consider that HUT and EASHL/Clubs are a competitive type of game mode so it kinda eschews the notion of "playing for fun".

If you're that type of gamer, then those game modes shouldn't be what you're looking for if you follow a logical thought process. Yet the game is designed to please the lowest common denominator in every game mode, whether you're playing offline, online, casual or competitive. That's where this game fails resoundingly. The pencil pushers and number crunchers can show me all the "evidence" they have over at EA that it works this way, but in reality, it really doesn't. You can maybe say that the "success" of Ultimate Team contradicts this, but you can't just see "success" because of how much money it makes you.

I'm sure Justin Bieber makes many millions of dollars every year, but is he "good" and is he as popular as he could be? I don't think so... \
    Man with dropin being such a crapshoot and the DDA in HUT, I have no desire to play this game anymore.

If it was DDA, then it wouldn't be this bad. Remember, the idea of DDA is to offer a level playing field for players of all skill levels. So if you're bad at playing the game, the game recognizes this and makes it easier for you. If you're really good, it ramps up the difficulty. I'm all for that and I think it shows how far games have evolved over the years if we can now have games that adjust the play in real time without having the user go into the menus and "cheat" the system when he wants to get out of a pickle.

But the shortcomings of this game, IMO, are far worse than anything DDA could do. As I've stated, and as @SpillGal commented, the game isn't made to be played with your own skill. You have to play the game the way the game WANTS to be played. You don't use your skill or your hockey knowledge to play, you just kinda go through the motions and hope that everything falls in place. I guess that would be fine if you were playing a game of "fantasy" where the world, the characters and the rules are entirely made up by the dev team. However, when you label your game "NHL", then there are set rules you HAVE to follow and sadly, the people at EA don't follow them.

Like I said above, if you're an older gamer and don't want to have to deal with the hassle, I totally get it. But that's why there's casual game modes and competitive ones. I don't think that competitive game modes should allow people that don't know what they're doing a chance to compete. That's not why I play video games. I don't need my hand held anymore like I did when I was 5 years old. Actually, I once walked out of my house, crossed an entire field, crossed the highway and made it to my Grandmother's house back in Argentina... When I was 2 years old. LOL!

Suffice it to say I don't need to be helped. I want to play this videogame on my own merits and skill. I want to be given the tools to use the skills and knowledge I've gained over the years. Especially if I chose to play this game's competitive modes. And I think that, if you wanted to have a "level playing field", that should be the norm for everyone that plays this way.
    If it was DDA, then it wouldn't be this bad. Remember, the idea of DDA is to offer a level playing field for players of all skill levels.
    This is where I think you are too kind to EA. The idea of DDA is not to offer a level playing field. It is to push players towards spending money.

The traditional player are spending $60 every year. The guys they are hunting for are spending thousands. This is what the game is made for. This is the reason for them spending $$$ on researching and patenting their system. It's not about staying true to the sport or creating an even playing-field. Doing so wouldn't make a dime more. It would be a waste of time... Right?

I mean, look at what's going on. Go check out FIFA's forum or Madden's. Or even better, go browse both of them. Users are calling them out on the exact same things.

I am not able to perform the mental gymnastics required, to look at this as a misfortunate coincidence. When all of the games from the most experienced sports game developer in the world, starts to fail in the same ways... AND the very same developer have researched how a certain pattern of wins and losses, will make players more likely to open their wallets.... AND they are raking in on said players... I am no longer able to defend what used to be my favorite game.

I think EA are cannibalising their own game in the hunt for their white whale. I also think they are making a terrible mistake and will most likely lose their standing as the best sports game developer in the world. And I think these words ain't worth anything to them, since their busy hunting short-time profits.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Suffice it to say I don't need to be helped. I want to play this videogame on my own merits and skill. I want to be given the tools to use the skills and knowledge I've gained over the years. Especially if I chose to play this game's competitive modes.
    This is all we want!
  • They are not even CLOSE to the best sports games developer. They are likely at the VERY bottom of the barrel. They have more money than any dev but I could write a book on all the problems. I could write even more about the lack of progression. At one point I believed they didn't do much because I thought they were running out of ideas/ needed more stuff for the next game. When I look at 2k or mlb the show it's over 10 years ahead. You can be fully immersed in that world. You talk to your coaches in mlb, you walk around an entire town in 2k. NHL has the worst BAP of any game. Franchise can't be played online, world of chel has only added stuff to wear. Threes eliminator is basically a flop due to the blue screen glitch and a glitch that doesn't allow people to keep playing after so many wins. Eashl is just pass/ shot int and a race back down to the other side. I don't play HUT but I feel people are even more upset about that mode. It didn't look nearly as good as Madden's with the short time I played it. Again, 2k is better than anything EA has put out.

EA sports is easily the worst sports company. They have 0 interest putting out a good product. They likely invest as little as necessary and try to get as much money by buying out rights. It's big business.

It would be amazing if someone else made a game. Unfortunately this is what we're stuck with. A game that has progressed less since PS4 came out as 2k has in ONE year. I don't think NHL will EVER get to something that looks remotely like 2k and what they are able to put out. They are so far ahead that it's comical. I just wish I liked basketball.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Whatever it is, it's the reason why I stopped playing HUT. It's always been there but it's more obvious than ever.

Just hopping into an exhibition (all-star) vs Ottawa, guys like McDavid, Marner, Stamkos, Panarin, Hall ... all being outskated by Tkachuk, Sabourin, Borowiecki. All my guys feel like monster trucks.

Why bother having difficulty settings if DDA is going adjust the gameplay anyway?