EA Forums - Banner

Can't get any better

Prev13
Hey. Just looking for advise or something I dunno. After playing the last few years of the NHL games I can't seem to get any better. I can't get within a few feet of a guy without losing the puck somehow yet in my zone ill be all over a guy and he just Carry's on and does whatever he wants. I always run into 5 guys in the o zone yet never have anyone back when I am on defense even though I'm not pinching. I never seem to change to the right player and in scrums I can't even tell which player I am or If I have the puck. There are only so many things to do when trying to enter the o zone but nothing ever seems to work. Dump and Chase doesn't do much either. I dunno feels.like I've been at the same skill level forever which is trash I will admit but come on.. just seems impossible to improve. Super frustrating. Any tips would.be appreciated. Watching videos does nothing for me cause I can't seem to do anything these other guys are doing. I never have room to cycle or deke bahhhh. Rant over ha.

Replies

• Oh also my passing percentage is always absolute garbage. I will have two guys in front of the net and for some reason even though I'm almost positive I aim to them my guy passes to my farthest guy away through 2 defenders and it gets picked off. Or I'm passing back to the point and it goes right up the middle to my end even though I aim up the boards.
  • Kmahrle83
    367 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Wish I could help you man. All I can say is slow down. Don't rush up the ice and try and score really fast. Take your time moving around and wait for passing Lanes to open up. Get the d and goalie moving around. On defense the best tool is positioning. Also, learn to aim your shots. If your aim top corner all the time you'll miss or hit the post a lot. Pay closer attention to the goalie, wait for him to open up and pick your spot.

Edit: as far as the passing, I turn pass assist off and it seems to help with this. Good luck
  • boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    I don’t know what controller settings you use, but you should probably go for the button setting (I think it is called CLASSIC), it will help you if you have a simpler setting. You won’t be able to do everything that the top players/most experienced users do, but you should focus on your timing and getting used to the speed of the game first.

Then, for the speed, Online/Competitive modes are usually played on All-Star level. If you think that it is too fast for you, that you don’t have the time to think about what to do, play some games on lower levels until you feel comfortable. Then, increase the difficulty gradually, play and continue until you get used to the speed. Play Exhibition games can get boring, so what you can do instead is playing Season mode or Hut (Squad Battles and Challenges). It will give you an objective at least and if your planning on playing HUT, playing challenges and SB will give you rewards even on the lower levels. Challenges can be good to practice specific things (like face offs, getting a certain amount of goals, etc...) Even if you don’t complete them the first time, you can continue and come back later when you feel like you can do it.

You can also go into the practice mode or do the tutorials, it will help you learn how to score, aim, etc...

Just don’t focus on the most advanced stuffs yet, take your time. You’ll get there.
  • Keeping the puck is pretty much just curling your stick away from the other guy or hitting protect puck and turning your body away to box him out. Don't point the puck towards the other guy.

Passes going in crazy directions is a staple of this franchise, it's not just you. Keep messing with different pass assist levels until you find something comfortable, I think most of us are between 40-75%.

Defensively if you're having problems I would say you're probably doing too much. Just take it slow and get up near the guy and let incidental contact do its thing. Think of it as playing tight man coverage in football.

If you see somebody do something that you can't or something impressive then record it and study what they did.
  • dgiant1983 wrote: »
    Hey. Just looking for advise or something I dunno. After playing the last few years of the NHL games I can't seem to get any better. I can't get within a few feet of a guy without losing the puck somehow yet in my zone ill be all over a guy and he just Carry's on and does whatever he wants. I always run into 5 guys in the o zone yet never have anyone back when I am on defense even though I'm not pinching. I never seem to change to the right player and in scrums I can't even tell which player I am or If I have the puck. There are only so many things to do when trying to enter the o zone but nothing ever seems to work. Dump and Chase doesn't do much either. I dunno feels.like I've been at the same skill level forever which is trash I will admit but come on.. just seems impossible to improve. Super frustrating. Any tips would.be appreciated. Watching videos does nothing for me cause I can't seem to do anything these other guys are doing. I never have room to cycle or deke bahhhh. Rant over ha.

I suggest at the end of the game, go into the replays and really look at what your opponents are doing that leads to the goal. During a game it sometimes seems pretty clear what they are doing, but your eyes and brain are going all over the place to process all the info. You are certainly not getting the full picture during the game.

I would also suggest you go into a 1v1 with the goalie and really get to know the dekes and all the capabilities and limitations of skating. I can tell you right now 20 minutes ain't gonna cut it. You will likely need to put a few days into it. This alone will do wonders for your game. Combine this with looking at replays to know how to implement what you have learned and you will be levels above where you currently are in a few short days.

As for defense, my suggestion for you is to focus on keeping your opponent away from the hot spots and not focus on always attacking the puck. Containment should be your prime focus until you learn the ins and outs of defense. If you are consistently getting beaten by very similar goals, then at least you know what to focus on. Looking at the replays at the end of the game will also indicate how your opponents are scoring, or what you are doing wrong defensively. For example, alot of top players like to tinker around in the corners to bait you into following them and then will curl to the high slot for the top shelf wrister. If that is the case, it doesn't matter where he is but rather, what's important, is where he wants to go and the route you are giving him to get there. You can also bait the player into going for those spots, but at least you will know that's where he is trying to go and that's when you drop him like an old sack of potatoes just before he shoots. You should absolutely not be chasing your opponent around. Set up, let him come to you and force him to be creative. He is only as dangerous as the space and time you are giving him to set up.

Sad to say, not enough people actually put work into learning all the ins and outs of skating and dekes.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    @dgiant1983

Great topic to discuss, thanks for posting!

A lot of great advice here. When first starting out, I always tried to skate down the ice as fast as I could to take as many shots as possible, however that didn't allow all my other teammates to position up. Like what @Kmahrle83 said, try turning off pass assist and wait until all your other players set up for better passing lanes.

@jrago73 & @WainGretSki are spot on about recording your play or watching the replay at the end. Take some notes on what your weaknesses are and try to focus on that. It might be boring to watch game film because you just want to immediately hop into another game, but trust us, a few minutes to assess the last game can go a long way. You'll be surprised how many tips you can pick up in 30 minutes of watching professionals play on Twitch. There are the "little things" that will make you go "that's so easy - why didn't I think of that?!!?"

Good luck on the ice!
  • Yeah I've been trying not to chase in the d zone. Thay being said I still have no idea where my team goes when the other team breaks out. I'm still stuck defending odd man rushes and grade a chances off the rush because my guys are nowhere to be found. Like I said earlier when I gain the zone I hit a wall of 5 guys and just get stripped but I can never do it to them. Played a few games again this morning and same ol same ol. It's getting to the point where I just wanna put my controller through the TV every game.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    dgiant1983 wrote: »
    Yeah I've been trying not to chase in the d zone. Thay being said I still have no idea where my team goes when the other team breaks out. I'm still stuck defending odd man rushes and grade a chances off the rush because my guys are nowhere to be found. Like I said earlier when I gain the zone I hit a wall of 5 guys and just get stripped but I can never do it to them. Played a few games again this morning and same ol same ol. It's getting to the point where I just wanna put my controller through the TV every game.

Don't get mad. Get analytical. Even if you lose 26-1, there is still a lesson and something to be learned. In fact, you will learn tons more by a serious **** whooping than you would by winning.

Analyse those goals against and learn from it. Some games require more time and/or research than others to be a great player. I can assure you, it sin't solely twitch skills. The top players know how to abuse the shortcomings of this game and that is what is most likely happening to you. With time, you too will know how and when to abuse certain things.
  • @jrago73 & @WainGretSki are spot on about recording your play or watching the replay at the end. Take some notes on what your weaknesses are and try to focus on that. It might be boring to watch game film because you just want to immediately hop into another game, but trust us, a few minutes to assess the last game can go a long way. You'll be surprised how many tips you can pick up in 30 minutes of watching professionals play on Twitch. There are the "little things" that will make you go "that's so easy - why didn't I think of that?!!?"

Good luck on the ice!

That doesn't work for human goalies though... We've been asking for many years now to have the same overlay that shows skater's inputs to also show the goalie's in replays. Would be nice to see what it is we're doing wrong instead of just guessing.
    Yeah I've been trying not to chase in the d zone. Thay being said I still have no idea where my team goes when the other team breaks out. I'm still stuck defending odd man rushes and grade a chances off the rush because my guys are nowhere to be found. Like I said earlier when I gain the zone I hit a wall of 5 guys and just get stripped but I can never do it to them. Played a few games again this morning and same ol same ol. It's getting to the point where I just wanna put my controller through the TV every game.

It might be your strategies (and/or something that you do). If you want your players to pinch less, you need to put the trap/forecheck slider more toward the trap. If you put it more toward forecheck, your players will play more aggressively, which is not always the best thing. I personally use 1-2-2 passive, 1-3-1 and leave the slider in the middle. It might be too aggressive for you though or not enough... you will have to play with it to fit your style. Players that like Breakaway, usually use a more aggressive setting.

Here’s a good video explaining what each strategies settings does:

https://youtu.be/aX-M99na6MU

It might help you to check it and then, you will be able to choose what fit the best with what you want to do. I wouldn’t suggest using the same strategies than the top players, since you probably don’t play like them. You can look at them and see what they do, but it might not work for you.

I personally think that you would benefit more from using a more defensive/careful style since you’re saying that your not super good with the controls, etc... but do what you think is better for you. The important is to have fun at the end of the day.

It might be your strategies (and/or something that you do). If you want your players to pinch less, you need to put the trap/forecheck slider more toward the trap. If you put it more toward forecheck, your players will play more aggressively, which is not always the best thing. I personally use 1-2-2 passive, 1-3-1 and leave the slider in the middle. It might be too aggressive for you though or not enough... you will have to play with it to fit your style. Players that like Breakaway, usually use a more aggressive setting.

It might help you to check it and then, you will be able to choose what fit the best with what you want to do. I wouldn’t suggest using the same strategies than the top players, since you probably don’t play like them. You can look at them and see what they do, but it might not work for you.

I personally think that you would benefit more from using a more defensive/careful style since you’re saying that your not super good with the controls, etc... but do what you think is better for you. The important is to have fun at the end of the day.

Nah... I put my players on Stay Back and Contain Puck and they still chase the puck and get out of position. Put them on Stay Wide for breakouts and they turn towards the middle when you try to pass to them on the boards. Put them on 2-3 on the backcheck and they don't even attempt to do the Bear Trap. The only strats that seem to work with some consistency are the ones for attack (surprise, surprise).
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Nah... I put my players on Stay Back and Contain Puck and they still chase the puck and get out of position. Put them on Stay Wide for breakouts and they turn towards the middle when you try to pass to them on the boards. Put them on 2-3 on the backcheck and they don't even attempt to do the Bear Trap. The only strats that seem to work with some consistency are the ones for attack (surprise, surprise).

Sorry to hear that. They work fine on my side. Yes, if you move your player out of position, your AI will try to cover you a little bit to much in my opinion, but beside that, it work well. They follow what I tell them to do. Maybe I am just lucky. The luckiest man alive, LOL!
  • 602RAFPuff
    48 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Trying to play V’s and it always goes wrong! My passes seem to always go astray, when I use Dss my player slows down and I regularly get tripping calls when I go near the puck, incidental contact doesn’t work and my Ai are thick. Switch to the opponent and his passes are spot on, uses DSS from behind and I lose the puck, he farts near my player and I lose the puck and his Ai are spot on. This happens every game I play leading to me just giving up on the match , quitting and playing a different game then coming back to the hockey a few days later.
    Does the fact my CR is tanking at 420 the cause? Is it the way I play? I never LT or stick curl and glide ( never seen any NHL players do that in real life ) is this the problem?
    I have really lost interest in the game due to this constantly happening every time I play someone, no matter home or away!
    Any assistance would be gratefully accepted in my goal to at least enjoy the fecking game!

A sad poor excuse of a player
    Puff

If anyone is up for playing me and explaining my problems..I’m on Xbox and usually on late Eastern time ( I’m in Uk )

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on

whomever coded the nhl strategies over the years will go down as the worst contributor to video games in history. I would give this modern game a D- on ability to execute functioning AI. I all but stopped playing single player but every so often i try it randomly. Also deal with AI in drop ins. It can be hard to gauge there since almost no one plays proper positioning which causes the AI to try and scramble to adapt. One thing single player doesn't have to deal with, unless you position lock, is the horrible experience of watching the AI with the puck. If their IQ is 40 without the puck it goes down to 5 with.

my favorite 2 examples are breakaways and defensive zone behind the net. 10 out of 10 times on a 2 on none breakaway. they will never pass for easy cross crease goal they will never listen when you call for the puck (unless you are a troll that is 200 feet behind them calling for it). They will shoot and 1/10 times they dirty snipe it top cheese. The other 9/10 they either shoot it in the goalie belly or get "confused" and just skate into the goalie without shooting. On defensive side every time they pick up the puck behind the goal line you have a small window to get open and demand the puck or they will just skate to the back of the net, then seemingly do the same thing they do on breakaways. get confused and try to skate into their own goalie...of course there's a net in the way.

these are my 2 favorite examples because they have been problems for years but somehow they seem to get worse every year. In NHL 2021 I fully expect them to just turn to the boards and just crash into them over and over until they injure themselves.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that. They work fine on my side. Yes, if you move your player out of position, your AI will try to cover you a little bit to much in my opinion, but beside that, it work well. They follow what I tell them to do. Maybe I am just lucky. The luckiest man alive, LOL!

Here's the thing; let's say I have the puck with my RD. I start in the corner, I move up near the boards and I try to hit my RW who starts to streak up on the breakout. I pass UP to him and he immediately TURNS left and goes to the Center.... What is he compensating for? Cant' be for my positioning because I'm the one with the puck and I'm in my position. He's the RW, but he turns to cover for the C, who's actually there, just a bit behind (and he's controlled by the AI).

They do the same on Defense. I have my C selected and I'm patrolling the slot. Opponent is hogging the puck and trying to get into the slot for the "cheese" shot they know the goalie won't stop from there. But I refuse to switch off and give him what he wants. However, I know that sooner or later, what happens happens: one of my AI defenders rushes towards the puck holder and comes crashing into MY player. What is he compensating for? Again, I'm in MY position, and he's not.

So no... I don't buy that. The AI aren't bad because "they try to compensate for the human's bad positioning". They are simply badly programmed, because that's what the "elite" want. Just because THEY are bad at hockey, doesn't mean the rest of us are as well. Some of us actually WANT a challenge and having the AI be good (IE: stay in position, making the goalies be like actual goalies) would actually make the game better and more challenging. Their argument is that too many games would end 1-0 if the Defense and Goalies were too good.

That would be AWESOME!! If most games ended with low scores, but were exciting, nail biting affairs with 10-15 scoring chances per game, but one or two goals, wouldn't that be great? But no... People want Baseball scores like this:

2dkunc8i1bxl.png

This is fun to them... But having decent defensive tools and having good playing goalies is bad. LOL!

Here's the thing; let's say I have the puck with my RD. I start in the corner, I move up near the boards and I try to hit my RW who starts to streak up on the breakout. I pass UP to him and he immediately TURNS left and goes to the Center.... What is he compensating for? Cant' be for my positioning because I'm the one with the puck and I'm in my position. He's the RW, but he turns to cover for the C, who's actually there, just a bit behind (and he's controlled by the AI).

They do the same on Defense. I have my C selected and I'm patrolling the slot. Opponent is hogging the puck and trying to get into the slot for the "cheese" shot they know the goalie won't stop from there. But I refuse to switch off and give him what he wants. However, I know that sooner or later, what happens happens: one of my AI defenders rushes towards the puck holder and comes crashing into MY player. What is he compensating for? Again, I'm in MY position, and he's not.

So no... I don't buy that. The AI aren't bad because "they try to compensate for the human's bad positioning". They are simply badly programmed, because that's what the "elite" want. Just because THEY are bad at hockey, doesn't mean the rest of us are as well. Some of us actually WANT a challenge and having the AI be good (IE: stay in position, making the goalies be like actual goalies) would actually make the game better and more challenging. Their argument is that too many games would end 1-0 if the Defense and Goalies were too good.

That would be AWESOME!! If most games ended with low scores, but were exciting, nail biting affairs with 10-15 scoring chances per game, but one or two goals, wouldn't that be great? But no... People want Baseball scores like this:

2dkunc8i1bxl.png

This is fun to them... But having decent defensive tools and having good playing goalies is bad. LOL!

I am more visual, but I think I get what you’re saying in your exemples. I agree that the AI does weird stuffs, they don’t play really good hockey and the goalies are the worst. I am totally on your side, wanting more difficult/realistic AI. That being said, I have noticed on my end that AI does those weird moves for a reason and you can keep them from doing this by moving your player, switching player, etc... Yes, it shouldn’t be that way. IRL, you would be able to talk or look at your teammates and tell them what you are doing or want them to do. But even then, they might not do what you want them to do and create an opportunity to score for your opponent or prevent you from having one. That’s the difficulty of playing a team sport, all the moving parts. I am still not saying that it is perfect and nothing should change.

Strategies change how they will react to certain main situations, but doesn’t mean that they will absolutely do it like you set it. I think that if your players have low Awareness, it can affect their positioning and reaction. That’s why many people have problem with high overall teams, because they react more to every little move that you make or opponent make. Which can be helpful sometimes, not other times. There’s also their base program, they tend to try to cover a lot (it might not be what they did for you), but they do cover a little bit too much. It makes them switch positions a little bit too often, it makes it harder to know who is where and passes are harder to send when they are constantly moving different directions.

For the RW cutting to the middle, it might be because of your opponent or other AI doing something that make your RW think that they are better there. They are not always very bright. Sometimes, there’s two AI a couple feet from each other, and close to the opponent, so you don’t have any pass possibility. The only thing you can do is to try to move to make them change position and then pass to the one that is free.

For the defence exemple, to prevent what happens, you usually need to either switch to the defenseman that you want to prevent from going up and let your center chase the player or just chase the player yourself using the center. It is a case of your strategies saying to your AI that you are the one supposed to chase the player and if you don’t, your AI (closest player) will go after the player which can lead to what happened. They don’t understand what you want/plan to do, that you know that the player is going to come to the middle that you’re just waiting on him.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited December 2019

whomever coded the nhl strategies over the years will go down as the worst contributor to video games in history. I would give this modern game a D- on ability to execute functioning AI. I all but stopped playing single player but every so often i try it randomly. Also deal with AI in drop ins. It can be hard to gauge there since almost no one plays proper positioning which causes the AI to try and scramble to adapt. One thing single player doesn't have to deal with, unless you position lock, is the horrible experience of watching the AI with the puck. If their IQ is 40 without the puck it goes down to 5 with.

my favorite 2 examples are breakaways and defensive zone behind the net. 10 out of 10 times on a 2 on none breakaway. they will never pass for easy cross crease goal they will never listen when you call for the puck (unless you are a troll that is 200 feet behind them calling for it). They will shoot and 1/10 times they dirty snipe it top cheese. The other 9/10 they either shoot it in the goalie belly or get "confused" and just skate into the goalie without shooting. On defensive side every time they pick up the puck behind the goal line you have a small window to get open and demand the puck or they will just skate to the back of the net, then seemingly do the same thing they do on breakaways. get confused and try to skate into their own goalie...of course there's a net in the way.

these are my 2 favorite examples because they have been problems for years but somehow they seem to get worse every year. In NHL 2021 I fully expect them to just turn to the boards and just crash into them over and over until they injure themselves.

The AI in EASHL is just as abysmal. I play pretty much full time on LD and if my RD partner quits on me, I am CONSISTENTLY fighting for ice and space with the stupid AI RD. I go up the ice to support the attack and guess who is ALWAYS in my way? Guess who is CONSISTENTLY lurking on the blue line on the LEFT SIDE of the offensive zone? You guessed it!! It's my RD partner!!

Not to mention I couldn't even guesstimate how many times I am coming down the ice to collect a dump in and my AI partner will not only race me to it as if his life depended on it, he will actually shove me out of the way to do it. You'd think he would move somewhere else to give me a passing option but no, getting the puck is all that matters even if it's completely out of his way and completely illogical to do so.

WOOOoooooooooooooooo!

Abysmal. Was this way since NHL 14 but it is even worse this year. So annoying it is beyond words.
    Post edited by WainGretSki on
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited December 2019

For the RW cutting to the middle, it might be because of your opponent or other AI doing something that make your RW think that they are better there. They are not always very bright. Sometimes, there’s two AI a couple feet from each other, and close to the opponent, so you don’t have any pass possibility. The only thing you can do is to try to move to make them change position and then pass to the one that is free.

No. I've done this many times. I had clips to show, but I just gave up on this game and deleted them as they were just cluttering up my cloud storage. Others have posted dozens of clips showing this, and like me, they just gave up because the Devs just ignore this issue every year. It's a lost cause. I've also tried many different ways and it's always the same result: the AI seems to have been programmed to always favor the center lane, regardless of positioning. If you ask me, it's because they are programmed to get out of the way in anticipation of the human carrying the puck into the zone.

Because that's how 99.8% of the online population plays this game. They will NEVER pass it up on the breakout. It's the same when you have the puck in the zone and the AI pointmen don't stay on the boards when you pass back to them. You have to doodle around for a few seconds until they're moving to the boards to pass to them. If you try while they're standing still, as soon as you pass to them they move towards the center and ignore the puck you just passed to them. It's infuriating!!
    For the defence exemple, to prevent what happens, you usually need to either switch to the defenseman that you want to prevent from going up and let your center chase the player or just chase the player yourself using the center. It is a case of your strategies saying to your AI that you are the one supposed to chase the player and if you don’t, your AI (closest player) will go after the player which can lead to what happened. They don’t understand what you want/plan to do, that you know that the player is going to come to the middle that you’re just waiting on him.

Tried that too. And on the odd chances I can actually switch to the correct defenseman (usually the game gives me control of the player BEHIND the play instead), the AI was already lunging forward, so that when I take control, now I have to counter react and go the other way, which puts me a step behind. So instead I just stay controlling the d-man on the opposing side. Usually that means I'm going to have to counter an odd-man rush, but I'd rather that than have to deal with a 1 on 0 or 2 on 0 breakaway on my goalie.

When I put my defensive strategy on "Contain Puck", it means just that. There is no "i'm gonna chase the puck while you stay back". And if there was, why is the AI chasing the puck?

There's just no helping it. The AI is programmed to be bad, because it's what the top players are expecting. If the AI was programmed to actually play some hockey and be *GASP* a challenge, the "elite" players head would explode. LOL!

• boumbidiboum
    446 posts Member
    edited December 2019

No. I've done this many times. I had clips to show, but I just gave up on this game and deleted them as they were just cluttering up my cloud storage. Others have posted dozens of clips showing this, and like me, they just gave up because the Devs just ignore this issue every year. It's a lost cause. I've also tried many different ways and it's always the same result: the AI seems to have been programmed to always favor the center lane, regardless of positioning. If you ask me, it's because they are programmed to get out of the way in anticipation of the human carrying the puck into the zone.

Because that's how 99.8% of the online population plays this game. They will NEVER pass it up on the breakout. It's the same when you have the puck in the zone and the AI pointmen don't stay on the boards when you pass back to them. You have to doodle around for a few seconds until they're moving to the boards to pass to them. If you try while they're standing still, as soon as you pass to them they move towards the center and ignore the puck you just passed to them. It's infuriating!!

If you’re saying so.

Tried that too. And on the odd chances I can actually switch to the correct defenseman (usually the game gives me control of the player BEHIND the play instead), the AI was already lunging forward, so that when I take control, now I have to counter react and go the other way, which puts me a step behind. So instead I just stay controlling the d-man on the opposing side. Usually that means I'm going to have to counter an odd-man rush, but I'd rather that than have to deal with a 1 on 0 or 2 on 0 breakaway on my goalie.

When I put my defensive strategy on "Contain Puck", it means just that. There is no "i'm gonna chase the puck while you stay back". And if there was, why is the AI chasing the puck?

There's just no helping it. The AI is programmed to be bad, because it's what the top players are expecting. If the AI was programmed to actually play some hockey and be *GASP* a challenge, the "elite" players head would explode. LOL!

Contain the puck is not the one to choose if you don’t want your AI to chase the puck carrier. On Contain the Puck, you chase the puck but your players stay between the net and the puck carrier, to block shots while puting a pressure on the offensive player. If you want your players to stay close to the net, you need to use Protect the Net with collapsing, then they won’t chase the puck carrier and just go all in front of the net. By doing that, you don’t protect near the boards and at the point though.

If you’re saying so.

Contain the puck is not the one to choose if you don’t want your AI to chase the puck carrier. On Contain the Puck, you chase the puck but your players stay between the net and the puck carrier, to block shots while outing a pressure on the offensive player. If you want your players to stay close to the net, you need to use Protect the Net with collapsing, then they won’t chase the puck carrier and just go all in front of the net. By doing that, you don’t protect near the boards and at the point though.

If you would be so kind, please provide video of the AI actually doing this. I would very much like to see the AI do it even if it's just once through your video. I have used those setting many times before and they will not do it. They will still chase around and pull themselves away from the set play.